What do you think about Men in Salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOM

Reaction score
Hi,

What do you think about men in salons?
Do you think it's weird?
What about men doing spray tans or waxing etc doing them on women and on other men?

I am going to have to work in my salon when it opens so I get to know the business better and so we don't have to employ more ppl.
But after that I wanted to do some personal training as thats my hobby (I'm a moderator on a bodybuiding forum normally).
I know of another male who did nails called melvin anthony (see below)
05omens_irvgleb758th.jpg

You wouldn't imagine that would you.

There are a few men in the industry our very own Samuel sweet, Antony buckley from Ez flow just to name a couple and there are some geeks on here as well like Jaydee. I havent personally got a problem with men in salons and when i did spray tan training i had a fella but to be honest froma client perpective i dont think many women (until they get to know you) woudl want to strip down in fron of a guy especially one who knows his stuff body wise they may ahve a complex about it.

There have been a couple of threads lately about this....and I think the general opinion is we like you guys.......and if you are the business owner I think you really have to know how to do the treatments you offer......whether you are hands on in the day to day running of the salon or not....

No it's definately not wierd. Lots of men work in salons. Quite a few of them regularly visit the site.
I personally wouldn't have a problem having a spraytan or being waxed by a male tech. jmho
As long as you have a professional attitude you should have no problems, you may get more male clients as a result of this.

Dunno wether i would liek to get my bits out to be waxed by a guy though have to say however professional he is.

I know of another male who did nails called melvin anthony (see below)
05omens_irvgleb758th.jpg

You wouldn't imagine that would you.

I bet he has no problems with blending tips !! :lol:

Marlise

It really depends on how old fashioned, square or prudish people are (or maybe even shy). Most gynecologists are men, maybe they should offer Brazillians as a bonus service. Perhaps buy 3 paps and get a free wax with the 4th.

It really depends on how old fashioned, square or prudish people are (or maybe even shy). Most gynecologists are men, maybe they should offer Brazillians as a bonus service. Perhaps 3 paps and get a free wax with the 4th.

Oh...you have such a way with words!!!......PMSL......

I have no problems with men in salons.

I do think its down to the client if they feel uneasy about a male therapist waxing / tanning them etc - but if thats the case then no probs, have a female therapist there too. You do have to give clients a choice on this, otherwise you may loose some.

I think its a refreshing change to see male therapists in the salon environment. But then again, I'm one that cant stand groups of bitchy girls, I know not all salons are like that though.

I dont think in this day and age that it should be a major problem at all, though older lady clients may feel differently.

As long as you are completely professional in your attitude and actions then I'm sure its fine.

On my local big brand name makeup counter in Debenhams there is a male makeup artist there, who is known as 'kitty' at the weekends!!!!! :lol: - and he is fab! I asked him to make my face over one day as his eyeliner is applied so so well and he looks fab himself.

It was the best 'look' Ive ever seen on my face. Just goes to show that men are not 'alien' to the world of beauty, and if big big stores and brands that spend millions on market research are prepared to employ men to sell their beauty products and give makeovers, its not a bad thing at all! :)

and if you are the business owner I think you really have to know how to do the treatments you offer......whether you are hands on in the day to day running of the salon or not....
this is one of the main reasons I will be there.
male clients as a result of this.
^^ didn't really think about that angle, yeah it's possible isn't it.
have a female therapist there too. You do have to give clients a choice on this, otherwise you may loose some.
my GF will be working the main hours, but I will work whatever the quieter hours are. I can always book them in with her but if she's booked up with nails I have nobody else to offer unless they booked in for a later date but I think we might loose some walk in clients.
I suppose it's unaviodable.
At first I wasn't going to do anything but work the till but now it's seems a waste if I don't learn some of the more basic treatments like waxing and spay tanning.
I am not going to go as far as learning nails I don't think as it's far to skillfull/complex for me.

this is one of the main reasons I will be there.

^^ didn't really think about that angle, yeah it's possible isn't it.

my GF will be working the main hours, but I will work whatever the quieter hours are. I can always book them in with her but if she's booked up with nails I have nobody else to offer unless they booked in for a later date but I think we might loose some walk in clients.
I suppose it's unaviodable.
At first I wasn't going to do anything but work the till but now it's seems a waste if I don't learn some of the more basic treatments like waxing and spay tanning.
I am not going to go as far as learning nails I don't think as it's far to skillfull/complex for me.

Maybe we should take that as a compliment!!....but I think if you are going to do the Beauty training...then you should go for it with nails as well....
Then you can do the whole shebang...if your g/f ever needs maternity leave!!!...or is off sick..lol!!!

There are a few couples out their running business's and both doing all the treatments...funnily enough the guys usually come from quite butch backgrounds...like rugby players...bodyguards...and Fitness Instructors!"!!

When I was in Spain I had a full body masage and facial by a male therapist and it didn't bother me in the slightest. He got on with his job and I did my usual falling asleep routine. At the end of the day I'm not bothered who does the treatment as long as they do it properly ... and boy have I had some namby pamby massages done by women, they were crap!!!

I agree with Sassy on the massage front, I think men are better at swedish massage as they tend to have more power and can get a little deeper.

I might not want to get my chuff out though for waxing - LOL, legs etc would be ok though.

Other than the waxing bits I wouldn't have a problem with other services and on the whole think it is a great idea. I suppose the older clientele might find it a little difficult though. (60's I am thinking of here).

I personally wouldn't want to strip in front of a man for a waxing or a spray tan and im not old! I would feel uncomfortable, I always ask for female doctors if it is something private or I am going to be examined. Obviously there are people out there who are fine with it, but I would say there is a lot of people out there like me too, so I would say you need the option or you may lose custom.

Obviously Nails is a totally different thing!!

Just my opinion.

obviously some women wont want a man doing this but i ber theres loades that are not bothered! you get a lot of male hairdressers and at first that was abit weird but as time goes on it gets more common and theres one thing for sure if a woman doesnt want to be sprayed by a man she wont come to a man for it doing?! if that makes sense!

When I was in Turkey a couple of years ago I had the works in a Turkish Bath.First I had my hair washed,then I was covered in bubbles and exfoliated all over.This was followed by a full body massage.The whole treatment was carried out by dare I say it,'a man',LOL.It was fantastic.Not because he was a man but cause he was damned good at his job.It's nothing to do with gender.Its about the persons ability to do the job.There are some crap female therapists out there and some crap male therapists out there.The only thing I was a bit worried about was that the guy only had a small towel round his waist and I thought 'what if it falls off'?:eek: I know some people get nervous about having a male massage them or wax them,'down below',but it's the same for men,they can get nervous about being in a treatment room having a full body massage by a women.Once you or they are put at ease then it's something that soon gets put to the back of your/their mind.

I had a swedish massage from a guy once at one of the Centre Parcs. It was very professionally handled with him leaving the room while I got changed. I must admit to being a bit unsure when they first advised me it was with a guy but they did give me the choice of a different day with a female therapist. Once the treatment was underway though I never gave it a thought!!!

Great we love men in salons..marco Benito does my nails..he's a case.
good luck
Jenx

I personally wouldn't want to strip in front of a man for a waxing or a spray tan and im not old! I would feel uncomfortable, I always ask for female doctors if it is something private or I am going to be examined. Obviously there are people out there who are fine with it, but I would say there is a lot of people out there like me too, so I would say you need the option or you may lose custom.

Obviously Nails is a totally different thing!!

Just my opinion.

I would'nt be bothered.My boss was male and a great hairdresser and I went to college with the taylor boys they are well known in sheffield and fab stylists.I have also had the works in turkey and would'nt think twice about having a wax etc by a male therapist.

Latest posts

Back