What do you use to sterilise manicure tools?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elliebabes33

Reaction score
hiya does anyone use a baby bottle steriliser for cuticle knife etc or just boil them up for a while in a pan? I cant afford to get an autoclave as they are too expensive! I always use Barbicide to sanitise them too.

hi i use milton fluid to sterilize i boil them first then put them in a sealed bag then pop in milton 15 mins before i use them on a client !!

Barbicide is more than adequate.Leave to soak for ten mins and Bob's your uncle.

I find with my tweezers Barbicide does start to rust theme after a while. I leave them in barb for 15 mins but over time they become rusted.
On my nail course I was told mundo is fine to spray on equipment used for manicure and nails.

I have got the name right have'nt I. I'm going to have a look, lol

Hi guys, the methods discussed are for disinfection, rather than sterilising. Autoclaves are the best but yes, expensive..

Take care, MrsMac

I never need to sterilize my manicure tools ... I do disinfect them and I use Mundo Products to do so. Disinfection is what your industry guidelines recommend unless there are extreme circumstances wher you have cut a client or abraded the skin ... in which case you do need to sterilize ....

it is always useful to have several sets of tools so that in case you do the 'unthinkable' you have a clean set to hand while you put the contaminated set aside for later sterilization.

ok i'm in a pickle with sterilization and disinfectant, lol sorry xx

ok i'm in a pickle with sterilization and disinfectant, lol sorry xx

Then I will explain .. are you sitting comfortably?

Disinfection and sterilization are both methods of removing pathogens from a surface. Pathogens are disease-causing organisms, ie some bacteria, virus etc).

Disinfection will remove all living pathogens from a surface apart from spores.

Sterilization will remove all living pathogens from a surface including spores.

bacteria that tend to be in the format of spores are things that are usually blood born pathogens such as hepatitus. SOOOOOOOOOOOO ... sterilization is only necessary is you draw blood or body fluid when using an implement such as a file or cuticle knife etc. The file you would simply throw away but the metal implement would require sterilization.

Disinfection is more than adequate in all other circumstances for your manicure tools.

Ok i'm with you now, thankyou :hug: On my course i kept getting in a pickle over files and sterilization/disinfectant.
I'm ok on files now :) but as you can tell still get in a pickle of sterilization/disinfectant, :lol:
I'll remember it now, as i'll think of my tools and where they go :lol:
I'v been putting all my waxing tweezers n scissers in barbicide for 15 mins, so i'm right to do that, which is good :lol:
Mundo is fine for my manicure tools as it disinfects, unless someone has open sores, etc then either throw the tool away or put in barbicide to be sterilized.

Gosh this reminds me of chemistry at school, i never got to grips with it :lol:

thanks everyone! I do have several spare tools just as you said Gigi. I have been using a different set of tools on each client then wrapping them in tissue and taking them home to sterilise. But now I will just sterilise them if I accidentally cut someone (I hope I dont!):eek:

Don't know if anyone else has suggested this because I havn't read whole thread so apologies if repeated.

When I go do mobile my intention is to use a lock and lock tuppaware box fill Mundo Concentrated Instrument and Tool disenfectant diluted to correct concentration and place tools in this. By the time you get to client your tools will be disenfected. When I take them out I will also wipe over with Mundo hard Surface Disenfectant Wipes, mainly to wipe tools dry. I will spray files with Mundo File and Abrasive Spray and obviously the work surface will be sprayed and wiped with Mundo Hard Surface Disenfectant Spray. That way the client knows that you are extremely hygiene conscious/aware.

anne xx

Barbicide is not a sterilizer! It's a disinfectant. It is not necessary to sterilise tools but very careful disinfection is essential.

The Code of Practice for Nail Services is free to download from Welcome to Habia and it explains what is required

thanks for all your advice everyone! :)

There is a lot of terminology being loosely used on here and I feel compelled to clarify some things.

Sanitize - washing with anti bacterial soap (first step in cleaning implements/tools), rinse and dry off.

Disinfectant - solution designed to kill certain bacteria, germs, diseases (2nd step in cleaning implements/tools, put in disinfectant solution after sanitizing for 10-20 mins, depending on directions from manufacturer)

Sterilize - use of dry or wet heat to kill bacteria, germs, diseases (2nd step in cleaning implements/tools after sanitizing) Most nail implements and tools aren't designed for this type of cleaning as the metal isn't the same quality as medical implements/tools.

You must first santize your implements/tools by washing with soap/water, rinse and dry off. You then should either put them in a disinfectant solution or sterilize. But as noted above our implements/tools aren't designed to hold up long with that kind of treatment.

Hi Guys, I still feel there is a bit of mixed information going on, below is a bit of expansion from Geeg's original posting.

Steralise - Destruction of ALL living organisms
this is achieved at 100+ degree C. IE autoclave or boiling, this is a Requirement when blood or internal bodily tools are used, such as piercings or surgery.
It is completely unnessecary for nail techs as we are not ever doing invasive procedures (hopefully
icon_wink.gif
) Plus it will destroy the majority of our equipment...

Disinfection - Kills All living organisms (except fungal Spores)
To achieve disinfection you need a hospital grade or EPA approved disinfectant. Most, such as barbicide+ require soaking for a minimum of 10 minutes and then drying off. However there are better ones available for nail techs as soaking can damage your files/tools a lot. the best I have found is Virkon, which is used to spray down surgical theatres - It is a spray till wet then let air dry action, which is ideal for techs.
Although often said, nail techs can not disinfect themselves or clients - as we are living organisms for it to really work it would also be killing us
icon_wink.gif

a GREAT idea to prevent cross contamination is to have a file per customer and keep it tucked away for them only. These files should be cleaned with a nail brush to remove build up of dust etc, the disinfected as per instruction of the disinfectant you are using and then when fully dry stored in a brown paper bag or similar. **Paper bags ensure that excess moisture is absorbed away, which helps prevent the build up of any bacteria

Sanitation - Greatly reduces the number of pathogens (harmful germs) on a surface
This we should be practising rigerously. The MOST effective form of sanitation is soap and water for 30 seconds... seriously... A good top up is keeping your work spaces clean, dust and dirt free and using products such as anti bac gel etc

hope this helps

I dont think any terms have been used loosely in this thread and accurate information has been given and expanded on more in depth by Envy (we can always count on him ... thanks alan). :hug:

no worries ;)
it does grate me a little to banter around inaccuracy's. The public is confused enough, and we do not need to propogate it further ...

Nothing makes me laugh more than someone asking to be steralised ;)

Nothing makes me laugh more than someone asking to be steralised ;)

I didn't realise you could get autoclaves that big!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back