What have been you experiences in a day spa?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock chic

Reaction score
Just wondered what everyone loved or hated when they attended a day spa? Was there anything completely different that they were offering compared to other normal spas. I'd love it go get some really diffrent new and exciting treatments. What are the latest newest treatments people are offering across the world? Love to hear your storys good or bad?
Last spa i was at was in the republic of ireland and it was lovely. Hydrotheraphy bath,thermal suite, razual,relaxation room and all those gorgeous espa products so yummy i couldn resist smelling my skin all day!
Oh how i would love to go on one now.:hug::hug:

I'm sad to say that I've never been to a spa in my life! It's always been way too expensive for me, and so far nobody has given it as a gift.
:(

Calla you work hard and deserve to treat yourself. My other half took me for my birthday.:hug: Time before that me and a friend went for half day.

I haven't been to a day spa as such but have been into the spa when I have been on board a ship.

On talking to one of the therapists, they worked damned hard, but yet when I had my treatment I would never have know that the poor girls had worked so hard all day before me as the treatment was very good.

My main gripe with spas is that you hardly ever get the full treatment time. When I had a pregnancy massage after christmas I was literally in and back out within the hour as I was driving off it wasn't even 6.30 and my massage was at 5.30.

I don't expect to have loads of time added on and of course we all include time to get changed within the treatmnt but I don't expect the filling in the consultation card, payment and trip back to the car to be included within the treatment time.

I do feel sorry for the girls as having worked in two spas it nearly killed me !! If I ever went back to working within a spa it would have to be a senior position or part time as I couldn't cope with all the massage !!

Ive not had any new or exciting treatments as such in spas, apart from some pregnancy treatments over the last few months and they were very nice (but bloody expensive) I did go to a Spa in Wales last summer that had a vitality pool outside on the cliff overlooking the beach, that was awesome !!

Ok I must admit I have been very fortunate to be lucky enough to experience some amazing Spa's! The best ones are probably the Spa by Mandarin Oriental, both the New York and London ones are amazing. The Spa Suite at the Bangkok one was just a divine way to spend time together. And the Tokyo Mandarin Oriental (hmm there is a pattern isn't there) is where I had the best Thai massage I think i've experienced!!

For non MO spa's the Bellagio in Vegas is excellent - nice area for the guys with good selection of heat treatments etc.

More locally the Spa at the Malmaison in Birmingham is very nice however I now refuse to go there. They have the stupidist requirement that you must wear shorts or provided paper pants for the massages - after the argument I had last time I refuse to return if that rule is in place, and now check with Spa's before making appointments.

For me one of the most important aspects of a Spa is the seperation of male and female changing areas and having seperate heat treatments. This is something the MO's are very good at, most have at least a sauna, steam room and vitality pool. And because they aren't co-ed they are all clothing optional which is quite blissful! I think that comes from the Eastern influence.

The best Spa treatments are what MO's call their "Time Rituals". You just blook a block of time, usually one, two or three hours. And you then discuss your treatment with your therapst and what you want to get from it etc and they then put together a treatment tailoured to you. Most of the larger Spa's offer similar treatments.

Unfortuantely being a man some Spa's like to limit you to their "Treatments for Men" range. Usually one facial, two massages and a body scrub if your lucky. This too annoys me!

Rather looking forward to the new flagship ESPA Spa at Gleneagles for our 10th anniversary in August!

Hoar Cross Hall in the UK is one place I won't be visiting, I've heard too many bad reports about it. And the radio adverts are really bad and the website doesn't sell it at all!

Mat

I WISH.. !!

I have never been fortunate enough to have ever been to one either. But before this year is out it is something I am going to rectify. Next time my husband books a weekend away with mates car racing Im booking a weekend away at a retreat!!

I worked in a day spa for a short time. The good thing is your day is booked solid, the bad thing is you have 55 mins per treatment and then a 10 minute turn-around time to get your room ready for the next client.

I've had some good and bad experiences in day spas, like everywhere some good and not so good therapists.

I think when you know what goes on behind the scenes it's harder to enjoy the experience.

I worked in a 5 star hotel in Colorado and it changed my view of luxury hotels.

Well my ambition in life is to visit as many spas as possible.

so far I have been to Seaham Hall Serenity Spa in Seaham, Celtic Manor in Newport, Peterstone Court in Brecon and Broomhill Day Spa in Ferryhill, Thermae Spa in Bath.

My overall experience is you are paying for the name 'spa' as none of the treatments or therapists have been anything but average.

I have also provided my services freelance at Seaham Hall and think that I managed to make each of my client's treatments special, but that was because I had the luxury of only doing 1 or 2 treatments a day.

You think you are getting something special but you are getting therapists that are overworked, underpaid and under appreciated. If I complain its always about the Spa NOT the therapist.

What I would expect in a spa is a bespoke treatment plan to suit my individual needs NOT a formula treatment where the therapist is going through the motions. Unfortunately, from what I can gather, each therapist HAS TO work to the spa's specifications.

I saw a work manual for one of the signature treatments at a spa, and it was 1 pump ONLY, and 2.5ml ONLY.

I have to say that I have had much better treatments from local little salons than some of the bigger places that just pump people through. Just recently I thought I would have a facial at a well known and expensive for the area spa and I have to say it was the worst treatment that I have ever had(that is a very big statement I know). The actual hour treatment consisted of me arriving at 11.30 am, getting changed into robe etc say 5 mins, then a consult form which would have lasted about 5 mins, sat around waiting for the girl for 5 mins, so there was 15 mins up. Went into room, got into bed started a foot massage which consisted of a couple of tugs to my feet. Then it was to the facial - if you could call it that. There was no cleanse or tone she just went straight into the massage, slapped a aha mask on (I know this as it was a bit stingy and being therapist), left the room for duration of mask,came and removed it slapped on a moisturiser and I was back in the lounge area where she tried to push her wares for what felt like 10 mins. I got changed again, paid and I was back in the car and it was 12.25. So all that happened in 55 mins. I was annoyed and dissapointed:irked:. There was nothing remotely nice about the experience. Even us therapists need somewhere to unwind where it is not work!!!! I guess we are even worse than the general public!!! We know what to look for in a good treatment and we are even more critical when we don't get it!:rolleyes:

Fozzoyo you have been to some amazing ones? So jealous!!!:irked: i have only been to a few in my own country. Did they have anything different and exciting? I love all those relaxation rooms and tropical showers etc so different! the outside pool overlooking the cliff souns awesome. Thanks for all your replys guys:hug:

Well my ambition in life is to visit as many spas as possible.

so far I have been to Seaham Hall Serenity Spa in Seaham, Celtic Manor in Newport, Peterstone Court in Brecon and Broomhill Day Spa in Ferryhill, Thermae Spa in Bath.

My overall experience is you are paying for the name 'spa' as none of the treatments or therapists have been anything but average.

I have also provided my services freelance at Seaham Hall and think that I managed to make each of my client's treatments special, but that was because I had the luxury of only doing 1 or 2 treatments a day.

You think you are getting something special but you are getting therapists that are overworked, underpaid and under appreciated. If I complain its always about the Spa NOT the therapist.

What I would expect in a spa is a bespoke treatment plan to suit my individual needs NOT a formula treatment where the therapist is going through the motions. Unfortunately, from what I can gather, each therapist HAS TO work to the spa's specifications.

I saw a work manual for one of the signature treatments at a spa, and it was 1 pump ONLY, and 2.5ml ONLY.
I have to say Ann the good thing about Grayshott it is renowned for its natural therapists....it is very competetive to get into Grayshott...we literally have to trawl through the cv's:eek:....but once you are there it is great...fantastic turn around time,limited to what massage you can do,the food is lovely....we get to eat what the paying guests eat in our canteen!:green:....lots of demonstrations and talks about different beauty and health treatments....we are also asked what type of training we want,and what our specialty is,and then we are used for it....so some it ma be purely massage,for others skin care,and for others other natural therapies....and then you grt the "odd balls" like me who love massage,skin care and nails:eek::lol:...

Yes,it is hard work,but at Grayshott,there is "camaraderie"...like there is in many spas i am sure....but i have to say they do accomodate to the therapist...each therapist has thier own technique...you may get a facial "gabi style"...and then you may get a dream time massage with himalayan salt scrub "faye style"...and so forth...i for one have cherished my experience there...and that is why i will not give it up fully to go self employed...i like them both!:)

Having the good fortune of a German wife enables me to visit her wonderful country from time to time and I have particularly fallen in love with her hometown Hamburg.

Her parents treated us to a day spa in the city...one of may public kind of places so very cheap to get into if your on a budget.....wow absolutely amazing..everything and anything is available and at very reasonable rates.

Trouble was it took a bit getting used to when we first went into the sauna and bathing section...when you go in its a case of get stripped right off and get in there amongst all the other visitors...for a Britt it was a bit of a culture shock but after a while you get used to it.

All in all...maybe not the most luxurious of spas but for the money...wow what a day.:hug:

Hi,

I've had some really great spa experiences while holidaying overseas...I always make sure that I book in a resort that has a spa facility!

The newest treatment that I have heard of (may be old news to some) is the live fish pedicure where a specific species of fish eat the dead skin off your feet!
I know I couldnt have that done! I have a fish tank at home and cant stand when I have to clean the tank and a fish ocassionally has a nibble of my arm!

Each to their own I guess!

Hi,

The newest treatment that I have heard of (may be old news to some) is the live fish pedicure where a specific species of fish eat the dead skin off your feet!
I know I couldnt have that done! I have a fish tank at home and cant stand when I have to clean the tank and a fish ocassionally has a nibble of my arm!

Each to their own I guess!

Who would have though...cheese loving fish :lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back