What is your rule on kids?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metamorfosis

Gel Polish Stylist of the Year 2016
Reaction score
Not for treatments - just being brought with the client?

I had to cancel a client today as my rule is no under 14s at the shop or home salon and she was going to bring her little sister 7 I think) she basically flipped out and is bad mouthing me to everyone she meets (another client kindly informed me!) she thought it was a personal attack even though it has, and will, always be the rule.

I only opened my teeny weeny shop last week, I basically have two small rooms, one for nails and one for waxing etc, and apart from not allowing kids for safety/distraction/breakage reasons it is simply too small.

This has honestly got me really down and I'm usually quite a tough nut. Seems like the shop just isn't going to work if clients are going to be do upset about no kids! What are your thoughts?

I had to cancel a client today as my rule is no under 14s at the shop or home salon and she was going to bring her little sister 7 I think) she basically flipped out and is bad mouthing me to everyone she meets (another client kindly informed me!) she thought it was a personal attack even though it has, and will, always be the rule.

I only opened my teeny weeny shop last week, I basically have two small rooms, one for nails and one for waxing etc, and apart from not allowing kids for safety/distraction/breakage reasons it is simply too small.

This has honestly got me really down and I'm usually quite a tough nut. Seems like the shop just isn't going to work if clients are going to be do upset about no kids! What are your thoughts?

noooo don't feel bad, personally if i walked into a salon and a child was in there id walk back out, salons are not for children. and yes ok, some children are well behaved, but one child wrecks it for everyone and you can't pick and choose who you allow in and who you dont as then that is a personal attack, sticking with the rule is the only thing you can do. a salon is an adult enviroment :)

Uggh, it's so annoying to be put in this position.

I don't have a rule, though i know a lot of salons say absolutely no children.

I rent a room in a hairdressers and often have clients bring in a child who will wait on the sofa for them if they are having a quick brow shape. A couple have had very good children that wait at the other end of the bed. Anything longer than this, i don't like. Other than being a hazard, my room is tiny, it's awkward to get round them and they get bored. I've had clients show up for an hours treatment with a 4yr old in tow and haven't had the heart to turn them away, but i should have. It makes things so complicated.

I have also had clients bring babies with them during their nap time, while they've had a wax or a massage xx

I dont have a rule but I have a salon at home and there is always only one person at a time, my clients that are new mums I don't mind them bringing there baby in as they are in a buggy thing (whatever those things are called) lol you can tell I am not a mum! but they seem to be fine but kids a bit older that get into things I would mind I haven't come across this yet though....would be a difficult situation without upsetting someone. But if you had your policy up for people to read and stating the reasons why im sure people would understand?

I do mobile and work from home if there children are in their own home that's fine but not in mine I just say my insurance doesn't cover it xx

When I worked from home a client brought a 4 year old in who wouldnt stop touching things and ended up breaking 4 of my gelish design colour pops, I know it doesn't sound much but the were my nail art ones that too a while to do and I had to re do them

I. Now work in a salon renting a desk, they allow kids as they do kids hair cuts etc. yesterday a client came in with me for nails with 2 4yr olds in tow!! She kept getting up to tell them off as they wouldn't listen, the manager of the shop told them off as they ended up throwing toys off the banister (I work upstairs). I was supposed to be doing a comp practice! Didn't go well!!

I am a Mum but don't agree with children in the salon environment. It's a danger to them and isn't practical for the therapist OR the client. The client doesn't relax becasue they're too worried about the child and where they are and what they're doing, are they touching things they shouldn't be etc. The child gets bored (mine would!) and starts to touch things "what's this?" type questions and either things can get broken, knocked over or they could come to harm.

So even though I'm a mum, I have a strict rule of no under 14's in the salon and I also won't do any treatments on under 16's. Like cabby, I just say my insurance doesn't allow. I think it's best for all, I can't be sued for accidents etc and the client can truly relax and enjoy their treatment.

Don't feel bad and stick to your rules! :wink2:

Yes, say it's your insurer that stipulates that you aren't insured for anyone under a certain age on your premises. They can't argue with that. This was my policy when I had my salons.

Yes, say it's your insurer that stipulates that you aren't insured for anyone under a certain age on your premises. They can't argue with that. This was my policy when I had my salons.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I gave her several reasons why I don't allow under 14s but she still blew up - went and walked in to another salon who went on to tell her that I'm just being difficult as there's no reason why kids can't be in a salon environment.

Shot myself in the foot a bit as mine appears to be the only salon in the area that doesn't allow kids in but I'm sticking to my guns on this one - just unfortunate that she's bad mouthing me to everyone!!

I allow kids. But I find clients only bring there kids when they really have to.

Shot myself in the foot a bit as mine appears to be the only salon in the area that doesn't allow kids in but I'm sticking to my guns on this one - just unfortunate that she's bad mouthing me to everyone!!
Turn that statement around. You have not shot yourself in the foot by being the only child free salon in your area, you are filling a gap in the market, you have the advantage of being a child free zone, make it a selling point, many people don't want children in the salon ruining their treatment.

Imagine I go to the salon for a nice relaxing massage to chill away from my children and while I'm in my massage a mum brings her kids in and all I can hear is the mum stressing and telling her kids off - I'm not relaxed and I'm not enjoying my massage but it's not my fault, and it's not the salon owner/therapists fault.

You need to advertise that your a quite, chilled, child free salon with no distractions and so relaxing treatments are just that - relaxing. Other geeks have already said they would prefer to use a child free salon - maybe you just need to aim your services at a different clientelle - those who don't want children in the salon. I'm sure there are plenty of us out there to make a decent client list & living from.

Last edited:
In this case i would tell her everyone has different salon insurance, just like everyone has different car insurance and my insurance provider doesnt allow me to have children as there is more chance than adults only of breakages etc. someone elses insurance might allow them too, but mine doesnt.
I really hope this woman shuts up and you dont lose customers through her spiteful tongue

No kids! I don't like them and wouldn't want them in my salon ruining the experience and atmosphere for me and my clients.

Friends actually call me when all the children have left for evening parties.

Unfortunately people think if you don't allow kids you are evil. Not evil ... Just want want the responsibility of them. You know if child injures themselves or break something it will be your fault not their darling child's.

Salons and Spas are adult spaces for grown ups!

Mat

I have 2 boys and would never dream of taking them with me for a hair/beauty appointment they would be bored after 5 minutes and would cause mayhem. I have a nail client who used to always bring her daughter, she used to mess with my gel pots be grabbing her moms hand when i was doing her nails ect , she stopped bringing her when she broke my gel brush and i charged her for it. I have another client now however who brings her daughter who is 13 her elder daughter and her boyfriend and they all stand around the table while i do her nails, if it was just my shop i would say i cant allow so many people at once but as im situated in a hairdressers and they all get their hair done there i dont really feel i can say anything, it winds me up terribly though.

Turn that statement around. You have not shot yourself in the foot by being the only child free salon in your area, you are filling a gap in the market, you have the advantage of being a child free zone, make it a selling point, many people don't want children in the salon ruining their treatment.

Imagine I go to the salon for a nice relaxing massage to chill away from my children and while I'm in my massage a mum brings her kids in and all I can hear is the mum stressing and telling her kids off - I'm not relaxed and I'm not enjoying my massage but it's not my fault, and it's not the salon owner/therapists fault.

You need to advertise that your a quite, chilled, child free salon with no distractions and so relaxing treatments are just that - relaxing. Other geeks have already said they would prefer to use a child free salon - maybe you just need to aim your services at a different clientelle - those who don't want children in the salon. I'm sure there are plenty of us out there to make a decent client list & living from.

I agree.

I think you need to promote the fact no kids are allowed !

When I rented a room I had a few clients that would bring children and I found it very difficult to concentrate. Some would ask questions non stop and the mothers not tell them to be quiet. One little boy knocked my picture of the wall when his mum picked him up. Sometimes Id get the odd child that would sit quietly and play on a game but they were quite rare !

On the plus side at least she is spreading the word for you that the salon is child free !

I have 4 children and they are wonderful and well behaved but I wouldn't take them into a salon...I know they wouldn't be able to resist touching things and it's not fair on the owner, other clients and myself as I'd be constantly telling them off lol xx

I had a nightmare last week! when a client brought children to my home whilst her & her friends had spray tans...

they chucked a roll of toilet roll down the loo, pulled my shower curtain down & squirted shower gel all over my sink & toilet...

while I was actually tanning the kids were squabbling & being really naughty, the mum hardly said a word to her kids either!!!

Firstly I'm sure the 'client' is not bad mouthing you to everyone she meets! Secondly, even if she was why should that bother you if excluding children from the salon is what most people prefer anyway?

You have done the sensible thing for a peaceful relaxing salon experience and I wouldn't offer any explanations to anyone! The decision to exclude children from the salon explains itself to anyone with even half a brain.

You did the right thing, if this person had told me that kids weren't allowed in that particular salon I'd be more likely to use it! Lol! I have 3 children of my own and I use my visits to the salon to chill out and relax! In a hair salon it's a bit different I suppose :/ I wouldn't worry about it, a salon is not a place for children!

baggybear has it right hun and there is nothing wrong with your decision either. I love my son to pieces he's well behaved but he's also six and has concentration of a fish! I wouldn't want him at an appointment and he wouldn't want to be there either.

You are well within your rights to refuse children and i think this is a big selling point for clients who have kids and don't have kids.

I'm mobile and have a treatment room soon to have a home salon too. I have a polite notice on my website regarding mobile clients that if they have young children or babies to have someone at home to tend to them, one so that they can relax and enjoy their treatment as it's their me time and two so that their appointment doesn't over run as i need to get to my next appointment on time. For my treatment room and home salon to be i have a no child policy and say so on my website also.

As said i love my son, doesn't mean i have to love anyone elses lmao! Kids are naturally curious, not everyone brings their kids up the same and what one parent thinks is acceptable another person may not. Stick to your guns and let her mouth off. It's your business, your rules and it's about working safely and responsibly.

Chin up lovely and let it roll off your back. X x o

Latest posts

Back