What's happening to my client's nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celebalook

Reaction score
Hi Nail techs and all
This is my new client, she previously had gelish nails done twice by another nail tech but they came of after 2 days on 3- 4 nails, so she gave up and came to me, i am not sure what is wrong with her nails but i have done shellac now twice and they have been perfect for 2 weeks each time just redone due to regrowth, her thumb nails have split but i slightly buffed and shaped and applied shellac as i am not a nail tech but a beauty therapist which most of my work is shellac.
Anyway she has these damaged, stained nails that go quite away up her nail from the free edge and says they have been like this for several years, she hasn't worn extensions for 7+ years do you think it is permanent nail damage? or another explanation (she did used to suffer with anemia years ago) which i know can cause spoon nails. DSCN2092.jpg

DSCN2091.jpg

the ring and little finger look like they are separated from the nail bed in which case the best thing to do is cut them down very short ( no free edge) and have her apply lots of solar oil religiously .
the nail should re attach.
you can still apply shellac/gelish but keep them well trimmed as any pressure at the free edge will inhibit the re attachment.

oh i see, is that what they yellowy staining is where her nail bed has become detached? good job i have recommended her to apply x2 daily will up to x3 daily then, her nails are very thin on those particular finger nails like tissue paper nearly, she is on lots of medication also for blood pressure, under active thyroid which i know will contribute to her weak nails etc as they are so dry also.
thanks

the ring and little finger look like they are separated from the nail bed in which case the best thing to do is cut them down very short ( no free edge) and have her apply lots of solar oil religiously .
the nail should re attach.
you can still apply shellac/gelish but keep them well trimmed as any pressure at the free edge will inhibit the re attachment.

She should go to a dermatologist/podiatrist and get this diagnosed. If they have been like this for several years it needs looking at carefully. Could be due to burnt nail beds but she has onycholysis due to 'something' and it needs to be checked out.

I had a client with a similar looking condition years ago and her nails were completely healed when she finally went (because I battered her) to a podiatrist. It took a while but we cracked it. No, I will not tell you what it was, because this could be different ! She needs to see a podiatrist NOT a GP. Go to an expert.

Geeg, out of curiosity if the nail bed was burnt in the past does that damage tend to be permanent ?
also in an area where onycholysis was present and successfully treated and re attachment achieved does that same area tend to be prone to onycholysis , i mean does it tend to be 'weaker '?

Geeg, out of curiosity if the nail bed was burnt in the past does that damage tend to be permanent ?
also in an area where onycholysis was present and successfully treated and re attachment achieved does that same area tend to be prone to onycholysis , i mean does it tend to be 'weaker '?

It certainly can be and

yes.

I thought podiatrists dealt with feet? Do they do hands too when it comes to nail problems?

I thought podiatrists dealt with feet? Do they do hands too when it comes to nail problems?
Well mine did. Maybe a dermatologist for fingers. Althoiuh podiatry is specific to the lower extremities, many are experts at both extremities so ask.

Last edited:
Thank you - will bear in mind if the need arises.

Thanks for the replies, i defo think she has onycholysis so will be advising her next week on her appointment:biggrin:

Thanks for the replies, i defo think she has onycholysis so will be advising her next week on her appointment:biggrin:

Well she has .. but onycholysis is not a disease it is a condition arising from a disease or cause ... THAT is why she needs to hAVE HER NAILS PROPERLY TESTED TO FIND THE UNDERLYING CAUSE OF THE of the onycholysis ... many many things cause the nail plate to detach from the nail bed ... not just diseases either ... burning from filing trauma, physical trauma, etc.

Update
So saw my client today, thumbs both split 1/4 down nails so we trimmed quite short (i am not a nail tech so can't repair), explained she may have onycholysis? advised to see dermatologist to find the cause, although she seems to remember the burning sensation alot when she had acrylics done on a regular basis a few years ago. Baffled when she went as she said it is on her toe as well she thinks:eek:, anyways she regularly sees a chiropodist for her feet so i said to mention that she has it on her nails also and what could be the cause etc as he said previously to her that her toe was damaged.
anyway advised her regular treatments every 2 weeks and not to use hands as tools and x3 solar oil daily.DSCN2111.jpg

DSCN2112.jpg

She should go to a dermatologist/podiatrist and get this diagnosed. If they have been like this for several years it needs looking at carefully. Could be due to burnt nail beds but she has onycholysis due to 'something' and it needs to be checked out.

I had a client with a similar looking condition years ago and her nails were completely healed when she finally went (because I battered her) to a podiatrist. It took a while but we cracked it. No, I will not tell you what it was, because this could be different ! She needs to see a podiatrist NOT a GP. Go to an expert.

Ooh this looks like what my client has got which we are trying to find out what it is too! I shall tell her to go to a podiatrist GP was not helpful at all to her x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

it's typical nail separation ... and underneath is not clean (hence the green), they need to be kept clean underneath, the hollow bits need to be cut out so crap can't gather underneath, the nail will keep looking like this until they can be kept clean, then they will grow out normal, I posted similar pictures a few weeks back .... must find that post, my client had it for years until I got to her.

Found it ..... http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/...had-before-now-has-every-finger-one-hand.html

01.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:
Could be due to burnt nail beds but she has onycholysis due to 'something' and it needs to be checked out.

Burnt, as in cooked with a nail drill ?
My client was burnt with a drill and the drill (obviously a dirty one) was used to clean under her nails, her nails were like this for a year until she came to me.

I did video the procedure :) It's quite graphic:eek:

So many doctors don't know what to do, or how to treat, pharmacists have half an idea, but more and more we are seeing conditions from feet appearing on fingers, due to salons doing both in unhygienic surroundings and spreading foot problems to hands .... makes me feel sick ....BUT, it can be cured ...easily

Burnt, as in cooked with a nail drill ?
My client was burnt with a drill and the drill (obviously a dirty one) was used to clean under her nails, her nails were like this for a year until she came to me.

I did video the procedure :) It's quite graphic:eek:

So many doctors don't know what to do, or how to treat, pharmacists have half an idea, but more and more we are seeing conditions from feet appearing on fingers, due to salons doing both in unhygienic surroundings and spreading foot problems to hands .... makes me feel sick ....BUT, it can be cured ...easily

Burnt, yes, as in with a drill, heavy hand filing, or continual heat spike with some gels. The nail bed dermis develops scar tissue so that the epidermis beneath the nail (which grows into the dermis thus attaching the nail plate to the nail bed), never attaches as well to the dermis again. After that, all manner of things can cause onycholysis (not all fungal or bacterial) like trauma, picking, product shrinkage etc.

I can show the video, it's pretty full on, but very interesting ......
interested ????

Yes, show us!!:eek:

Yes please I would like too see x

Im sat here with popcorn waiting for the show :lol:

Vicki x

Latest posts

Back