What's it like to live in the UK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindy920

Reaction score
just wondering. Have been pondering moving there.
thank you , cindy
really no one lives in scotland????

Last edited:
Posted this on another blog..how is it living in England and such.. pondering moving there.

thank you, cindy

hi cindy ... depends on where you want to be ...country for peace and quite plenty fresh air ect... or a city there is lots of villages around england scotland and wales just so many places to choose from ...ok i live in the city of Norwich which is in Norfolk ...why not google search map of UK or Great Britian and have a look at some websites i'm sure you will find your place that appeals to you ...probably i am the only one up at 6 am in the morning over here ..give a few more hours and you'll get more replies but here is a link on Norwich & Norfolk for you to look at

J xx:)

Visit Norwich, Norfolk or the Norfolk Broads. City breaks, walking holidays, boating holidays and more.

What can we say about England,

No big spiders
only one bad snake
no reptiles with big teeth
no Earthquakes
no major floods (well not too many)
no twisters
not too many nuts with guns

not too much sun, but reading the rest of the list i would not want to be anywhere else.

But it is the same as everywhere else really,

life is what YOU make it,

Good luck if you move, have you thought of a location yet?

Kent is great, they call it the garden of England

Enjoy,

K:irked:

Plenty of folks live in Bonny Scotland and it boasts 2 of the most sohisticated and beautiful cities in the world in both Glasgow and Edinburgh.

The countryside is the most dramatic and arresting with beautiful Islands, mountains, lakes and sea. Scotand has everything really including plenty of rain like the rest of this "sceptered isle".

Scotland and wales have the most breathtaking scenery and plenty of lovely people living in them.
England is a mixed bag some lush countryside and Some big inner cities with too much crime.

Hi, got to agree with everyone here Scotland is a fantastic country to live.

Sorry you did not get a good response at first but at 2.25am we good, clean living, Scots tend to be in bed lol:lol:

There was also a recent thread extolling the wonders of different parts of Scotland which you should read..here it is..http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/74139-scotland.html.

Any particular reason you are thinking of moving to the UK?

well sorry to be a misery guts but i cant positively comment on england as this plac gets me down...and long for the day i can happily move abroad (spain for me) thats not to say i would leave here permanently as I would miss certain things a bit i guess.
The UK does have lots of good qualities BUT is increasingly ruined day by day by our 'so-called' government (but I won't start on politics!) How would I describe England?.....Cold, damp & miserable most of the year, VERY expensive to live (tax, tax, tax and...oo...more tax!) I'd be terrified if I had to go into hospital! So many rules and regulations everywhere...it's getting over the top now...priorities are all wrong over here...it is mainly our government that constantly lets us all down as they don't seem to have a flippin clue....they do the craziest things that just make your eyebrows launch into outer space honestly.

sorry to say such negative things but you should consider both sides of the coin if you are planning on moving somewhere....the ups and the downs...and in my opinion there are far more downs than ups!

well sorry to be a misery guts but i cant positively comment on england as this plac gets me down...and long for the day i can happily move abroad (spain for me) thats not to say i would leave here permanently as I would miss certain things a bit i guess.
The UK does have lots of good qualities BUT is increasingly ruined day by day by our 'so-called' government (but I won't start on politics!) How would I describe England?.....Cold, damp & miserable most of the year, VERY expensive to live (tax, tax, tax and...oo...more tax!) I'd be terrified if I had to go into hospital! So many rules and regulations everywhere...it's getting over the top now...priorities are all wrong over here...it is mainly our government that constantly lets us all down as they don't seem to have a flippin clue....they do the craziest things that just make your eyebrows launch into outer space honestly.

sorry to say such negative things but you should consider both sides of the coin if you are planning on moving somewhere....the ups and the downs...and in my opinion there are far more downs than ups!

Don't go thinking the grass is greener ... except maybe weather-wise ... There are two side to all coins .... there are high taxes everywhere and social problems of one kind or another everywhere, and most governments do stupid things everywhere.

I agree with the cold and damp bit, but the miserable?? That comes from the attitude of people. PEOPLE MAKE MISERY ... can't blame that all on the country in my opinion. I know plenty of happy and cheerful people in the UK and plenty of miserable ones in Spain!:lol:

What can we say about England,

No big spiders
only one bad snake
no reptiles with big teeth
no Earthquakes
no major floods (well not too many)
no twisters
not too many nuts with guns

not too much sun, but reading the rest of the list i would not want to be anywhere else.

But it is the same as everywhere else really,

life is what YOU make it,

Good luck if you move, have you thought of a location yet?

Kent is great, they call it the garden of England

Enjoy,

K:irked:

I'd just like to say this......yes we are lucky in that we don't have anything much that is particularly dangerous....the worst thing we ahve that springs to mind is wasps and hornets....hornets you dont see so much of but wasps are in abbundance! (yes i realise we don't have crocs and things like to contend with..which is a bit different!lol)
But we also have millions of flippin flies of all sizes...and they are a NUISANCE to say the least...on a summers day there are so many flies, midgies, bees, wasps...odd looking beetles and other things flying about that I eventually get so fed up i'm off inside again! No they don't hurt you but they give you mental torture instead lol

We are lucky enough that we don't get twisters and earthquaked yes but we do get floods...we do get rain and miserable weather most of the time!

And as for not having too many nuts with guns!.......are you serious.....this place is getting ridiculous for nutters!....ok maybe we;re not in the same league as say america...but look at the size of america...then look at the size of the UK...even kids are getting killed at school through knife attacks from other kids now....but then once again we have our government to thank for that...and I don't see things are getting better...if I had a conversation with anyone here in the street about our country...I would bet my money they'd be saying nothing particularly pleasant about it...the usual phrase is....''it's going to the dogs''
Don't get me wrong...most of us are law-abiding decent and nice people but just fed up with the way in which our country is run..it's the good people that usually suffer the most...as our government just loves to protect the human rights...not of the innocent victims...oh no...but of the criminal!

Don't go thinking the grass is greener ... except maybe weather-wise ... There are two side to all coins .... there are high taxes everywhere and social problems of one kind or another everywhere, and most governments do stupid things everywhere.

I agree with the cold and damp bit, but the miserable?? That comes from the attitude of people. PEOPLE MAKE MISERY ... can't blame that all on the country in my opinion. I know plenty of happy and cheerful people in the UK and plenty of miserable ones in Spain!:lol:

Yes i totally agree geeg..the grass is not always greener...iv'e spent a fair bit of time in spain and my parents live there so i'm aware of certain issues over there also...at the end of the day all countries have their problems....i personallly see the problems over here as being more of an issue TO ME than in Spain, but in general...the lifestyle...health, food, people, etc i'd chose spain without a doubt...you live there yourself don't you? what is it that made you move?

As for misery...to an extent some people do make there own misery but..and i'm just speaking through my own personal experience...(and I am generally a happy positive kind of person myself) sometimes it's very hard to feel happy....for me...jan/feb id the worse...you look out the window and it's raining...freezing cold....and hey it's half past 3 in the afternoon...and it's starting to get dark...by 4...it's pitch black...unfortunately i'm one of these that suffer with the old SAD syndrome...i'm ok til the end of the year...i enjoy xmas...cosy rainy days etc..but after that iv'e had enough of it..and just want some sunlight! lol

This is so true Geeg we always think the grass is greener etc but We make what we will out of life whether that be good or bad.

the places are wondefull and the folk that live here even better.:hug:

this might give you some idea of what the folk here think about where they live
way off topic: What do you love about the country you live in about this time of year? (
multipage.gif
1 2 3)
collin

There are many fantastic and diverse scenery to be found dependant upon which county or country in the UK you choose...probably the most diverse range in the world.
Scotland is simply stunning ,not over populated and house prices up here are probably the lowest in the UK (if you keep out of the larger cities)

good luck with your relocation plans and maybe might bump into you when walking down the high street in Aberdeen hey???

I have never lived anywhere else so cant compare....I have niggles about this country as much as the next person but I think anyone in any country have niggles.

I love the countryside, NHS (yes i know its not perfect but its still an amazing thing to have and those who work for the NHS work so hard), I love the lovely summers and the cosy winters.

Cant you come for a while just to see if you like it first.

I have never lived anywhere else so cant compare....I have niggles about this country as much as the next person but I think anyone in any country have niggles.

I love the countryside, NHS (yes i know its not perfect but its still an amazing thing to have and those who work for the NHS work so hard), I love the lovely summers and the cosy winters.

Cant you come for a while just to see if you like it first.

Boy is this the truth. And believe me after the last 4 weeks I KNOW.

Hey Cindy,

I live in the highlands of Scotland but in about 3 months i'm heading in your direction to live in the US.

I love my country but the UK as a whole is currently going to pot mainly due to bad Government but also due to the increasing number of individuals who think the world owes them a living.

Until we sort ourselves out I would stay in the US if i were you, crime etc. is the same the world over at the moment but at least the American justice system is tough and criminals are punished. If your a pervert or murderer you go away for a long, long time, in the UK your out in 5-10 years. Also you have the fairest system of democracy in the world.

UK tax, cost of living and food prices are spiralling out of control and the increasing shift of power to the EU is frankly terrifying.:eek:

Life is what you make it and that's a fact, be careful you don't change your geography only to have the same problems.

My husband and i are moving for the chance of a better lifestyle. We have a substantial income but we live in a small 2 bedroom bungalow and have to watch the cash because we are taxed to death. In America with the equivalent income we will be able to afford a new top of the range mercedes and buy a 3,500 sq/ft home.

Last edited:
Well I am, and always have been, very proud to be British, but.......... I would move out in a heartbeat if my husband would go! We lived in Australia for 3 years and I loved it. I believe there is no more a beautiful place than England, when the sun shines, which isnt often, lol. However, being a mother, I am SO SCARED for my boys and what the country is becoming that for their sakes I would love to go to Oz. Obviously, having lived in Australia I know life isnt a bowl of cherries there either, but it a damn site better than here, in my opinion. I would love to think that the country would "heal", (i would'nt live anywhere else then) but I think its too late. Sadly, my husband dosnt want to consider it......yet!:lol:

England = Flippin Expensive !

Latest posts

Back