What's it like to live in the UK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the last twenty years I have seen our country change, I am proud to be English but also embarassed, because of CHAVS, I hate them !
Most of us work really hard and then are taxed to high hell just to give them a living, so they can have a good life of pubbing it, wearing named clothes, smoking, having foreign hols, owning pedigree dogs, watching sky tv on thier huge plasma tellies, wearing loads of gold jewellery and not having to go to work, oh and most probably claiming incompasability benefit illegally so they can get a mobility car to drive around in for virtually nowt. While doing all the above they are more than likely wearing an England footie t-shirt making out they are proud of their country and throwing litter all over their local high street !!!

Sorry to rant on but the state of our country has gone to the dogs, my hubby wants to move to New Zealand, I don't want to go, because I do love the UK we have a heritage to be proud of, and the country on a whole is quite a beautiful place, it is the people who make a country what it is. I would like to think that one day soon our society will change for the better ?

England is beautiful but boring. I lived in London all my life, and I like it most of the time, but everytime I leave the house I'm scared I might get shot or stabed. I would much rather live in the west indies. At least over there you never have to worry about dying from the cold. Come over on holiday or for a year or so but don't leave the US for good. It's too expensive.

Well I am so looking forward to my partner taking early retirment hopefully within the next 2 years, then were off to Lanzarote...and for all the reasons that have been stated more than aptly by others on here. I will miss my kids and g/kids, but there are always flights back and forth.
I am one of the lucky ones tho not everyone can be in the position to do it, and I feel for them.

Don't go thinking the grass is greener ... except maybe weather-wise ... There are two side to all coins .... there are high taxes everywhere and social problems of one kind or another everywhere, and most governments do stupid things everywhere.

I agree with the cold and damp bit, but the miserable?? That comes from the attitude of people. PEOPLE MAKE MISERY ... can't blame that all on the country in my opinion. I know plenty of happy and cheerful people in the UK and plenty of miserable ones in Spain!:lol:
Could not have worded it better myself Geeg. Your life is what you make of it and the grass is not always greener. And I speak from loads of experience. Born and raised in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia back then), then lived in USA, South Africa and UK in that order. They all had their problems at the times of living there but good points too.

The weather in the UK gets me down though and I miss the consistently warm sunny southern African days.

I love the UK! And our weather!!!!! It's what makes us US :)

I believe our country is in sh*t state due to our goverment but like what Geeg has said, all countries have there own problems and downfalls.
As for our NHS, IT IS PANTS!! How many of the NHS staff use the NHS?? The staff ain't the problem, they just put up with what they have to to do a decent job.
We have an increase in knife crime and a poor police force (thanks to the goverment.)

As for boring, i don't personally think so. We have some breath taking places to visit in the UK and i love taking my kids out and about showing them places.

I will not be moving to live elsewhere anytime soon, very proud to be English!

And what's the crack with Scotland??? We know they all talk funny but hey, we all have our downfalls :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :smack:

Last edited:
ღMandyღ;780236 said:
And what's the crack with Scotland??? We know they all talk funny be hey, we all have our downfalls :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :smack:

:(aye wi dae but folks kin still unnerstond us :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Uk sounds like Oregon, rainy and such, and like where i live now North Dakota nice in the summer damn cold in the winter. You guys crack me up, thank you so much for all your responses. :green: I like quiet towns, low crime, good schools. I am a nail tech here in North Dakota, what are your requirements? here it is at least 350 hours, In oregon where i recieved my education 600 hours.
thanks again in advance....

The NHS service is not pants. Its slow and the waiting lists are long but its not pants.

If you are in a critical life or death situation then the service is speedy and you can be sure you are seen to and looked after 24 hours a day. The best part is its all free, you do not need to pay a penny.

In many many countries in this world, you have to pay to get medical health care. For those of us who are young, able and can work for our money, its not a great problem. But for those who are old, unable to work or who are children. Where do they get that money from?

From where I come from, everytime you have to pay to see a doctor, pay to pick up the prescription, pay for each day you stay at the hospital and even pay for the meals in the hospital. If its an illness which can take a long time to cure, then the hospital bill can be in the thousands.

My mother has learnt the skill of using herbal remedies to cure her own children because there wasnt money to take her children to the doctors when they fall sick.

For those of us who are mothers, can you ever imagine not being able to to take your child to see a doctor simply because you can not afford it?That your child's life is determined on the fact whether you are rich or poor?

There also seems to be a misconception about the doctors in the England, many moan about them and feel they are not good enough at their jobs. But did you know that, those who have the money from foreign countries, would pay thousands and thousands ( because they are not british citizens) to come to england to be treated?

England had a good reputation for having some of the best doctors in this world. It is because we have them on our doorsteps and in our everyday lives that we rarely consider and think of this.

England is not perfect, the NHS is not perfect, but please appreciate the fact that we have free health care which is available to each and EVERY one of us, because there are many people who die in other parts of the world because they are not as lucky.

Last edited:
The NHS service is not pants. Its slow and the waiting lists are long but its not pants.

If you are in a critical life or death situation then the service is speedy and you are be sure you are seen to and looked after 24 hours a day. The best part is its all free, you do not need to pay a penny.

In many many countries in this world, you have to pay to get medical health care. For those of us who are young, able and can work for our money, its not a great problem. But for those who are old, unable to work or who are children. Where do they get that money from?

From where I come from, everytime you have to pay to see a doctor, pay to pick up the prescription, pay for each day you stay at the hospital and even pay for the meals in the hospital. If its a illness which can take a long time to cure, then the hospital bill can be in the thousands.

My mother has learnt the skill of using herbal remedies to cure her own children because there wasnt money to take her children to the doctors when they fall sick.

For those of us who are mothers, can you ever imagine not being able to to take your child to see a doctors simple because you can not afford it?That your child's life is determined on the fact whether you are are rich or poor?

There also seems to be a misconception about the doctors in the England, many moan about them and feel they are not good enough at their jobs. But did you know that, those who have the money from foreign countries, would pay thousands and thousands ( because they are not british citizens) to come to england to be treated?

England had a good reputation for having some of the best doctors in this world. It is because we have them on our doorsteps and in our everyday lives that we rarely consider and think of this.

England is not perfect, the NHS is not perfect, but please appreciate the fact that we have free health care that everybody can access, because there are many others in this world who die because they are not as lucky as us.

We do not have free health care...those that work have to pay national insurance...that is where our nhs comes from..it's just a different system...yes it is quite a good system...BUT unfortunately our government probably keep most of that money to themselves and don't invest enough back into the nhs that it's now getting in such a poor state that a lot of people are terrified if they have to go into hospital for fear of coming out worse off! Because of the state of things a lot of people now choose to pay for private healthcare...which doesn't come cheap...and you still have to pay your national insurance out. If god forbid I or my son ever needed an operation I would want to if i had the money pay to go private or go abroad! This is not a reflection on the nurses or staff in the hospitals as they do their best.
There are some good doctors surgerys about...but you dont get much of a choice which one you can go to and most of them are a total waste of time...they are rarely interested!
and don't get me started on dentists.....!!!!!! lol
I realise there are people all over the world much worse off...but im afraid when you are used to how things are in your own country and you see it deteriorating rapidly, you dont think to yourself how lucky you are that things aren;t as bas as such and such a place do you.

Over the last twenty years I have seen our country change, I am proud to be English but also embarassed, because of CHAVS, I hate them !
Most of us work really hard and then are taxed to high hell just to give them a living, so they can have a good life of pubbing it, wearing named clothes, smoking, having foreign hols, owning pedigree dogs, watching sky tv on thier huge plasma tellies, wearing loads of gold jewellery and not having to go to work, oh and most probably claiming incompasability benefit illegally so they can get a mobility car to drive around in for virtually nowt. While doing all the above they are more than likely wearing an England footie t-shirt making out they are proud of their country and throwing litter all over their local high street !!!

Sorry to rant on but the state of our country has gone to the dogs, my hubby wants to move to New Zealand, I don't want to go, because I do love the UK we have a heritage to be proud of, and the country on a whole is quite a beautiful place, it is the people who make a country what it is. I would like to think that one day soon our society will change for the better ?

I know where your coming from on this one but remember there are also people who dont work due to real illness and disability so lets not think that everyone without a job is a chav.:)

I am a British Citizen and I pay my taxes so I know how the system works.

It seems to me that my point was missed.

The British government is not that bad. From every bad thing there is always a good. They have created a system which provides everyone, rich or poor, with the two of the most important things in life - free health and free education (up until 18).

If we refer to some of the blogs on here, you will notice that even running and keeping control of our own small household is difficult. So therefore, how many of us can really run and control the whole country in such a large scale pleasing each and every one of us?

Running a country is not easy. It is easier to sit back, watch someone else do it, complain and think you can do a better job.

I am a British Citizen and I pay my taxes so I know how the system works.

It seems to me that my point was missed.

The British government is not that bad. From every bad thing there is always a good. They have created a system which provides everyone, rich or poor, with the two of the most important things in life - free health and free education (up until 18).

If we refer to some of the blogs on here, you will notice that even running and keeping control of our own small household is difficult. So therefore, how many of us can really run and control the whole country in such a large scale pleasing each and every one of us?

Running a country is not easy. It is easier to sit back, watch someone else do it, complain and think you can do a better job.

Well we are all entitled to our own opinion and mine happens to disagree with yours...I understand that running the country is not an easy task and you can never please everyone because we all have such different views...but at the end of the day...it is their job and their profession...so they should be good at it as far as i'm concerned..if you can't do something effeciently and properly...then don't do it! They are a bunch of idiots and most of them on the fiddle themselves and getting fat off the country they are supposed to be running...leaving most of us constantly struggling to make ends meet..they are why it is so hard to run a household..they are all a flippin joke imo.

really no one lives in scotland????

I do - I'm originally Canadian, but have been in the UK for 9 years. PM me if you have any specific questions, and I'll be happy to help if I can.

There's pros and cons to every country, and things that used to bug me about Scotland and England don't anymore, but some Canadian ways drive me buggy!!! It depends on how flexible you are, and how you want to live your life. While my accent marks me as different, I don't spend my time trying to point out that I don't fit in here. I love my community and where I live, and have no regrets coming here.

I hope you find the info you're looking for!
Dawn

I know where your coming from on this one but remember there are also people who dont work due to real illness and disability so lets not think that everyone without a job is a chav.:)

I understand about people who honestly cannot work but (as we all know) there are loads af them that can and don't and I know loads of them !
sorry if I offended anyone xx

:(aye wi dae but folks kin still unnerstond us :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tell me about it! They laugh at the way I say 'purple' and 'curly wurly' down here! :irked:

Obviously not in the same sentence tho... that would be plain weird, just! :eek:

My cousins down south crack up when i do my Taggart line, " there's been a murrdurr ! " lol

They also enjoy "purple" and "curly-wurly" as well as "burger" and "girl" and "your doin my head in".

Try saying to them, " a girl was murdered while eating a burger, she was wearing purple and had a curly-wurly in her bag " Guaranteed to have them rolling about :)

pmsl...the dirty burnt burger burnt deborah!

pmsl... he he he good one !

Latest posts

Back