Where do you all stand on patch testing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The above is quite a shame, clients will now be driven to unqualified/uninsured therapists for the convenience factor of not having to patch test every time, or to the town centre 'brow bars' who will whack a tint on without a patch test (they will ask you if you want a tint in the middle of a threading, this happened to me before I had training and realised that it was a no-no).

Michelle x

Interestingly BABTAC still hasn't replied to my email from yesterday...

I've just seen on Facebook that salon geek have been in touch with babtac and are awaiting clarification on one point....

The above is quite a shame, clients will now be driven to unqualified/uninsured therapists for the convenience factor of not having to patch test every time, or to the town centre 'brow bars' who will whack a tint on without a patch test (they will ask you if you want a tint in the middle of a threading, this happened to me before I had training and realised that it was a no-no).

Michelle x

Exactly and its likely that a lot of them don't even have any insurance because I doubt if they have an insurable qualification.
Its another form of NSS but on rented stands.Who will even try and sue them anyway its not exactly easy they will just disappear.
Its like people that drive without insurance and then hit someone very rarely does the victim ever get anything.

Yeah good point. Do the eyebrow bars in Superdrug etc insist on a patch test before tinting. When my friend was having her eyebrows threaded I don't remember seeing any signs about patch tetsting.

I've gone to a well known brow bar in Harvey Nicks in Dublin for threading and was sat down and therapist started to tint my brows. No consultation no patch test even mentioned. On their brochure it states patch testing required but it seems they don't always follow through on that.
Ive had clients moan about patch testing and the usual thing of "well I've been getting tints for years" - If they haven't been with me they get patch tested, every single new client and I patch test all clients every six months and record.
Going to double check with my insurers as to what their stance is now.

Hi all,

We have read through all the threads on this post and wanted to ensure that BABTAC’s position on this topic is 100% clear as many of you have requested confirmation in writing. Here goes; we hope the following clears it up…

In general terms, we recommend completing a patch test prior to carrying out any invasive treatments or ones which use specific products or pigments on the skin e.g. chemical facial peels, Laser & IPL treatments, eyelash and eyebrow treatments, tanning, micro-pigmentation, skin needling etc. This is important both to ensure the comfort of your client, certifying that they are not allergic to the product as well as to safeguard your reputation. Although they can be an inconvenience, it is better to be cautious and protect both parties.

Referring specifically to the treatments mentioned (eyelash tinting, eyelash perming and eyebrow tinting), we recommend that a skin patch test is carried out at minimum 24 hours before treating a client for the first time or at least 48hrs for clients with diabetes or other special circumstances. If possible, a 48hour minimum is preferable but not required. Salons / therapists should always act in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions specific to their products.

Carrying out a patch test before every individual treatment is not required by our brokers, except where your specific product manufacturer recommends it. We request that testing must re-occur if there has been a change in the client’s medical history, a change in the treatment preparation (e.g. a new formula or different product), any hormonal changes such as pregnancy or menopause or if there has been a 12 month interval since the last treatment. Note: We recommend that whilst Manufacturers' recommendations and the protocols as taught by your schools when studying these topics are taken into account, the policy also states that therapists should be following the best current professional guidelines which may supersede these in the light of recent best practice, to minimise risks to clients. In this instance these guidelines would be as directed by BABTAC and these should be taken into account.

To make sure your insurance with BABTAC is valid:
1. Carry out the patch test as detailed above
2. Always follow the specific manufacturers’ instructions
3. Get your client to sign a consultation form / record card to confirm that they have received a patch test and are happy to continue with treatment and make sure you update the client’s record card when the test has taken place. Note: if your client has any allergic reaction to the patch test you are advised not to perform the treatment as any resulting claim would not be covered.
4. Ensure the client is given relevant aftercare instructions before and after the treatment and ask them to sign their record card to confirm that they have received these
5. Ensure that you are following recent best practice guidelines as stated by BABTAC

Resist being pressurised by the client to proceed without a test. Be prepared to lose business if they won’t have a test; it could save you serious heartache if a treatment causes a serious reaction. Records should be kept for seven years. Failure to do this will result in your claim being denied.

We hope that this helps to clarify our position. Our brokers have confirmed that if this process is followed then the likelihood of a claim should normally be avoided and you will get the full protection of the policy and the advice of the support teams at our brokers and the insurers.

A note for our members: all of these items are specifically covered in our Good Practice Guide, posted to you as part of your joining / renewal pack as well as being available from the Members’ area. If in doubt about any of the patch test requirements or indeed any policy compliance issues, please feel free to contact us on 0845 250 7277 (option 1) and we will be happy to help. Don’t forget, you also need to let us know if any of your details change such as getting married, adding new staff, staff leaving etc., as incorrect information may also invalidate your insurance or complicate your claim.

Let us know if we can clarify anything else?

Note: the patch test requirements outlined above are correct at 25th January 2013 in accordance with our current policy information. This information is subject to change should we change our policy, change our insurer or if new legislative guidelines are levied. Members will always be notified of relevant policy changes in advance and should always refer to the specific policy information distributed.

Interestingly BABTAC still hasn't replied to my email from yesterday...

Hi Lynne,

Would you be able to PM us with how you tried to get in touch and also the content of your email? We've checked the system and have no record of your contact with us, which is concerning and we're wondering as to whether we have a technical issue with our emails. If you can let us know, we'll will arrange a response for you.

Thankyou Babtac for coming on and clarifying your requirements.

Looks like I won't be using refectocil anymore as reading their instructions it says to patch test before every use.

I emailed babtac yesterday and I got a read receipt today at 11.08. I used the email address for enquiries on the babtac website.

Thankyou Babtac for coming on and clarifying your requirements.

Looks like I won't be using refectocil anymore as reading their instructions it says to patch test before every use.

Me neither.

Oh goodness, I've just ordered the whole hairwell range specifically for hd style brows as recommended by my lovely geeks and now seen it says do not pluck after :(

I'm sad

Oh goodness, I've just ordered the whole hairwell range specifically for hd style brows as recommended by my lovely geeks and now seen it says do not pluck after :(

I'm sad

Yes it does say exactly that,how very odd.

Sorry but im still a little confused - i got excited when i read The Eds post about Babtacs insurance brokers following their recommendations but it is still saying follow specific manufacturers instructions so why is this any different when its not stated on the packaging but when you ask them they still say before each time - surely if it comes down to a claim they will go with that.
So now which companys out there do not specify this??

and my spray tan manufacturer states no need for patch tests unless sensitive but Babtac say yes for 1st time?? its all so contradicting - more phone calls i guess x

I've just spent a fortune on all new refectocil tints etc. Peed off.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi Lynne,

Would you be able to PM us with how you tried to get in touch and also the content of your email? We've checked the system and have no record of your contact with us, which is concerning and we're wondering as to whether we have a technical issue with our emails. If you can let us know, we'll will arrange a response for you.

I emailed enquiries@ and info@ this week, the latter on Wednesday, and have had no reply.

Yep, I am still confused too. How can we be told in one breath we don't have to test every time, yet in the other we must follow the manufacturer's instructions? These instructions say to test every time, as I use Refectocil.

As a lot of us on this thread use Refectocil, I would appreciate an answer saying either follow the manufacturer's instructions to test every time or just in the necessary times mentioned.

Just out of interest, have you contacted your refectocil manufacturer to have them clarify?

As a lot of us on this thread use Refectocil, I would appreciate an answer saying either follow the manufacturer's instructions to test every time or just in the necessary times mentioned.
To me it sounds like typical insurance company wording. They give you some guidance but can still get out of paying if you didn't do what the box says!

So Im going with whatever Refectocil say.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi All.

I was trained using RefectoCil and there was nothing in the "instructions..." about doing patch test before EVERY application. Just general information about allergic reactions etc

I had a look through "Instructions for use" in various languages on RefectoCil website www.gwcosmetics.at

And there you go: no "SKIN SENSITIVITY TEST" part in other manuals like German, Denmark, Polish etc.

It looks like RefectoCil manufacturer adjusted instructions for UK market. Is that becouse all insurance wording and "claim culture" here ?

Below little montage of three "instructions..."

tinto.jpg

Looks like will have to stick to supplies from abroad (cheeky me) as it is a great product and do my initial & 6monthly patch tests.

regards
A.

He he, the plot thickens!!!!

Latest posts

Back