Where does a pedicure turn into a podiatry treatment? Where to draw the line??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimonailtech

Reaction score
I am absolutely horrified at the condition of some of my clients feet. I am not a pedologist, a foot nurse or even a podiatrist. Yet, people are coming to me with toenails as thick as tree branches, clusters of plantar warts, really bad fungus and a myraid of other unsightly things.

I don't know where to draw the line when it comes to the personal health and safety of myself and my other clients. I mean, we always use gloves in our pedicures, but if I do a pedicure with a client who has warts, then touch a jar to get some cream, then I touch that same jar to get some cream for another client later, am I not putting that client at risk? Then when I'm cleaning up at the end of the day, I'm touching that jar with my bare hands to put it in the cupboard.

I'm thinking of bringing up the idea of disposable little cups to put our products in. I'm really scared I'm going to get a wart or something. Not to mention, although our thrones are pipeless, don't you need a sterilant to kill the plantar virus? How can you sterilize a basin with fans that circulate the water?

I had a client the other day who I really considered refusing. She had all of the above mentioned afflictions and I literally almost needed a hacksaw to cut her toenails. At the same time, I really don't want to lose my job.

Advice?

I, personally, probably wouldn't have treated most of those problems and referred them to a podiatrist 'just in case' anything I might do could be considered as a possible aggravation to the issues WHICH then could result in a lawsuit or whatever.....
(But then, I don't do feet for exactly those reasons.. I don't want to deal with those problems. I simply CAN'T)

THEN there's the whole sanitary thing.
I would NEVER knowingly put my own feet in the same bath someone else with plantar warts/fungus (whatever) had used. I don't care how they're contracted. I WOULDN'T DO IT.
So, would your other clients want to? If another client saw it... would they still want a pedicure?

Then there's the question: what are the regulations in Alberta? What do they state? What does your insurance or the salon insurance say?

Basically, if you can be held liable for anything... don't do it. Protect yourself. AND urge said clients to see a DOCTOR.

I'm sure other's that work in this area of expertise will have more helpful advice. But that's just my two cents.
hth's

Yeah, basically I feel extremely uncomfortable treating anyone with warts or fungus and I'm kind of nervous to talk to my boss about it but I know I need to so I will tomorrow.

I found this:

c. A pedicure should not be conducted on feet with athletes's foot or plantar's warts
unless the Esthetician wears sterile, single-use disposable gloves. Warts must
be covered during the procedure. Sterile, single use, disposable instruments​
shall be used.

So I assume basically I would use orangewood sticks for cuticles and only a disposable file for shaping the nails. What would I cover the warts with though?

I found this:

c. A pedicure should not be conducted on feet with athletes's foot or plantar's warts
unless the Esthetician wears sterile, single-use disposable gloves. Warts must
be covered during the procedure. Sterile, single use, disposable instruments​
shall be used.

So I assume basically I would use orangewood sticks for cuticles and only a disposable file for shaping the nails. What would I cover the warts with though?

waterproof sticking plaster ?

I was taught not to touch any foot or hand with a contraindication, and advise the cleint to go to the GP.
Probably not very helpful, but it looks like you clients are appealing to your good nature to try and make thier feet look better, when they possibly need medical care!

I wouldn't treat anyone with warts or very think toenails. Send them to their GP . It's not worth cross infections for your other clients and if you're found to be spreading wart or any other afflictions you can be sure that your clientèle will disappear very quickly !!!

Warts are viral infections (contra indication), they can be highly contagious. all treatment should be avoided until the infection has gone to avoid cross infection. I personally always think if you see anything you dont regognise or are uncertain about then do not do treatment. refer the client to the GP.

I certainly would think hard before treating feet with any of those conditions.

Warts and verrucas - yes they are a virus, and i would request they be treated before my services..
on the other hand yes you could perhaps use disposable implements, seperate pots for your products, and dispose of it all after .. but then will the client still get the problem sorted, or just come back to you as you will do it that way ???

Fungal infections of the skin, you could again use disposable implements but then the service is not going to help this. You can recommend they treat with an anti fungal if it is atheletes foot or sweat rash by using simple preparation from their local chemist called Clotrimazole (canasten) for at least 7 days and then another 7 days and then come back for a consult...

That way you have still given them a service just not put your products and implements at risk.

Hope that helps in some way...

Sarah x

Yak gross! You poor girl!

In the uk we don't treat those conditions we refer them!

How do people let their feet get that minging??!!!

Check out your state law and print it off to show your boss. Tell your worried you will lose clients. Does she realise your treating these people?

Hi gals,

I talked to my boss today. She said we shouldn't be treating anyone with warts. That's what I learned in school except when I started at this job, the other girls said they were doing pedi's on people with warts and I didn't want to be the new girl making a fuss (stupid, I know).

So now I feel much better about the situation. I'll ask any clients with warts to please see a doctor before we do a pedi. I'm kind of on the fence about the fungus thing. About 1/5 clients I see has a fungal nail. We have a treatment we sell at the spa so I guess I could offer to do a file and polish but ask them to complete a treatment of their nail before we do a full pedicure.

I'll be doing gel nails soon exclusively so hopefully these foot issues aren't for much longer lol I really am shocked at the state of people's feet!

Glad your feeling better about the situation x
When i did my Pedicure training, I was taught to use disposable wax spatulars when using cream 'tubs' so as to avoid cross contamination x We were also encouraged to use disposable orange sticks and files xxx
HTH xxx

Latest posts

Back