Where to find pensioners!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig_studio17

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well the first week at my new salon went quite well with each day bringing a little more clientel than the last and our appointment book isn't looking too bad for next week either!

I'm getting to grips with which days are going to be busy and which are going to be a little harder to get some clientel in.

Tuesday in particular was dead and this Tuesday isn't looking too good either! The idea is to make Tuesdays our pensioners day. Our salon is located in an area where this type of clientel is quite rife, however they all seem too jump on the bus and head to the next town to use a salon which is nigh on 4-5 miles away.

I can understand this as the town were we are isn't very big and there isn't very many shops and with pensioners getting a free bus service it doesn't cost them anything to hop on, ride to the next town and spend a day out there, getting their hair done and visiting the shopping centre.

Does anyone have any advice on how to try and attract pensioners? The advertising methods which we are currently doing don't really seem to reach them because they don't use facebook or the internet.

The bus stop which they use is directly across the street from us and they know we are there! I've put a price list up in the bus stop but we're still not having any luck!

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Craig

Its always good to hear new businesses are doing well do comgratulations! Have you considered a banner advertising your oap day in the window? Vistaprint do some really nice ones, might catch their eyes while theyre waiting for the bus?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hi Craig,

Congrats on your first week.

You need to be careful when advertising a deal especially for pensioners - unless you don't mind being known as the "old fashioned place" amongst the younger people in town, thus affecting your business later in the week.

Is it the pensioners you need or just more money on a Tuesday? I'm not sure of the demographic in your area but I'd target services rather than age groups if you are going to offer a discount.

For instance, 25% off colour every Tuesday might fill your Tuesdays with colour clients instead of just pensioners. Pensioners can take advantage of the discount too of course, but it does mean your salon is seen to be doing modern work by the people passing by.

If pensioners is where it's at though, I'd advise you check out when pension day is at the post-office and pay them a visit nice and early to chat with the people in the queue. Also, Google for any sheltered accommodation in your area and leaflet drop those flats/houses.

Best of luck.

you answered the question yourself... they are on the bus!

(ive just broken my wrist and am on the bus everyday! old people love chatting to me as ive a cast on my left hand and I'm holding my little dog on my right...they tell me they cant use their bus pass before half 9 so theres always lots of em on the later buses)

Could you spend a few hours flyering charity shops, tea and coffee shops, book shops, garden centres and notice boards in community centres? you might have to get a flyering licence from your local council to be on the highstreet but that would be how i would start...

You need to be careful when advertising a deal especially for pensioners - unless you don't mind being known as the "old fashioned place" amongst the younger people in town, thus affecting your business later in the week.

Nothing wrong with having a mixed clientele in my view, also older people tend to have more disposable cash for treats than younger people who are maybe setting up home or starting a family. I call it bread and butter money as they tend to like their hair done weekly :)

how about the bowling club?

Are you comfortable with giving a presentation? If so why not offer to give a talk to the local W.I. groups?

I'll be doing my third tomorrow; different groups, but all within 5 miles of each other. Generally speaking the ladies have been 65+, but some are younger.

I have declined payment, although it has been offered. What they have been happy with is my selling vouchers for an offer which must be paid for on the night. I call it a WI offer, so any age member can take it up.
My area is facials; I think you'd get a lot of custom for hair, as ladies regularly have their hair done.

Sadly for post offices, pensions are now paid into banks, so pension queues no longer exist.

Are you comfortable with giving a presentation? If so why not offer to give a talk to the local W.I. groups?

I'll be doing my third tomorrow; different groups, but all within 5 miles of each other. Generally speaking the ladies have been 65+, but some are younger.

I have declined payment, although it has been offered. What they have been happy with is my selling vouchers for an offer which must be paid for on the night. I call it a WI offer, so any age member can take it up.
My area is facials; I think you'd get a lot of custom for hair, as ladies regularly have their hair done.

Sadly for post offices, pensions are now paid into banks, so pension queues no longer exist.

I love this idea and will be trying it out myself :) Thanks for the tip!

There is another association like the WI called the U3a (university of the 3rd age) most areas have one and do all kinds of events through the week. Find your local one and make them your best friend

I think people underestimate the power of the grey pound.

Older people are lovely, around 50% of my client base is over 55. They are some of my loveliest, most polite, most loyal, most regular clients . . . . and in recessions, they are the ones who still come for their acrylics because they have more disposable income.

Whilst I wouldn't want to limit my services exclusively to the older age group (or the younger), they make up a significant percentage of my clientele.

They tend to like more natural nail shapes, rounded and squoval, sometimes fifties movie star oval/pointy nails . . . and generally prefer polish to French (pale pearly pink/peach is a winner) - so if you were featuring photos in leaflets, ads or websites, I'd bear this in mind - also finding an older model's hands to feature would be a good idea - lots of older people feel they are not welcome because it's always young hands shown on posters etc.

As someone else said, the U3a is popular, community centres, Conservative clubs, leisure centres, rambling groups, drama groups, the Church, womens institutes and guilds.

hth x

Bingo halls :wink2:

Also ask local council where elderly residence halls and apartments are, local salvation army. Many elderly people work in charities voluntarily so maybe target a few charities. They also have gatherings so maybe offer a referral discount. Maybe offer people who bring their parents/grandparents for treatments......

Also maybe get someone who s ever so friendly to approach the pensioners at the bus stop as I think a chat is far more effective with pensioners.

I love this idea ... although I'm primarily in hairdressing rather than beauty and also do waxing and spray tanning, eyelash and brow tinting and Indian Head Massage, amongst other stuff

To follow through (so to speak), what format does your presentation take? Do you demonstrate? Just chat? Q and A's? Leaflets?

I'd love to do this. I don't have a confidence problem (by any stretch of the imagination!) but I'd like some pointers please.

Thanks all :)

Hi!
This is my format:

Introduce self, talk about where I work and what we do.
I try to make eye contact with everyone, and smile a lot. (They wanted me to be onstage last night with static microphone, but I prefer to be closer, so was directly in front of them with a clip-on)

Then I talk about the importance of each stage of a facial. I don't demo a facial because of the lack of consultation, and also because I want everyone to have a part in the evening.

With that in mind, for those that want to, (almost everyone), and have no contra-indications I apply a little facial exfoliator on the back of one of each lady's hands....while they work it in, I start at the beginning and hand out fragrance free baby wipes (obviously a no-no usually, but there is no other way to remove). Then I put a little face moisturiser on each hand.
They then give feedback on the results. Expect chatter, that's good.

After that I do about 10 mins on the science bit, particularly the functions of the skin. I get the ladies to offer their ideas and then fill in the gaps.

Onto the quiz. If you hand out the printed q. sheets you can use that time to sell, if allowed. Buy a pack of cheap pens to take with you for those without.
Make sure you have a tie-breaker 'cos some ladies take it VERY seriously ( eg how many pores in average face?)

Take qs and answers

Mark the quiz
Give prize (a voucher for free treatment)

Don't forget to take leaflets and maybe sample sachets.

Be prepared to drink tea....I declined mine last night and they looked a bit disappointed.:o

HTH! X

Latest posts

Back