Who is your model?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who is your model?

• Another nail tech

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • A friend who doesn`t do nails

Votes: 145 68.4%
  • A client

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • I don`t have one as I`m not interested in further training or competitions

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters

Debs

Reaction score
I wondered how many of you like me only have other nail techs as a model for training courses and competition work.
I for one think taking a client on a training course is unprofessional and my non tech friends and family have 9 to 5 jobs.
Besides which I think only another tech can relate to how you feel, offer you all the support you need and is more than the pair of hands you`re working on and wouldn`t be bored or upset at the mess you sometimes make of their nails.
I`d love to see what you all think of this and who you take along to training courses with you

I would like to say a big thank you to happy_jo who came to Manchester yesterday and modelled for me with my Brisa conversion. Bless her she went away with one hand with four fingers done and a tip left undone on her thumb and the other hand with 2 disasterous sculpts. I have never met Jo before and she offered to come when I asked on here if anyone could help me out on this course; she was brilliant, so easy to get on with and very patient with my lack of skill! hahaha.... so thanks Jo.

Debs said:
I wondered how many of you like me only have other nail techs as a model for training courses and competition work.
I for one think taking a client on a training course is unprofessional and my non tech friends and family have 9 to 5 jobs.
Besides which I think only another tech can relate to how you feel, offer you all the support you need and is more than the pair of hands you`re working on and wouldn`t be bored or upset at the mess you sometimes make of their nails.
I`d love to see what you all think of this and who you take along to training courses with you

Well Debs......You have met Lynette.. My Model, she is also my client of over 10 years, it can work brill. Well it has for me. No she and I don't think it is unprofessional to come along and help me to do my thing......Actually she is very proud to play a big part in my competitions. I would have also used her as my training model for my Masters but she wasn't free on that day..... She is the one non Tech person, I trust completely for feedback and she will tell me if something is pants or rocks..She gives me an honest client point of view.. Sometimes a friend can be to much of a friend and thinks that true support is agreeing with you for friendships sake..Not always good for the learning curve...From a client to Technicians point of view, this has re-enforced our working relationship, she knows how much I love my job and how much care and attention and work I put into being the best I can possibly be.......and she trusts in my skills 110% as she knows how I got there.....
So yes a client with the right disposition can work brill as a Competition or training model......

LOL but then also Gloria and Layla have been my Competion models, Layla was my Masters model for the final day, Suey also a fellow Geeky Technician bless her, was kindly also a model for my other Masterclasses....well I got one hand whilst Nic got the other hand..............They are all brill girls and I owe them so much xxx

I think it is important that who ever your model is, that he/she has a great personality, patients of a saint and wants you to succeed....So like I said before both kinds, Clients and fellow Technician have worked fab for me....

You're welcom Jen!

I had a lovley time being your model and I benefitted from the insight into training.

I am now looking forward to doing my own course; beginners L&P @ Ez-flow Bolton. For which my Mum will be my model, I just hope she doesn't expect perfection!

So far I have only ever used my mum and my daughter. Mums are great for that sort of thing. Only thing is mine hates not having nails so hides her hands in between having them taken off and a new set being put on!!

I have a friend that models for me for my masters and iv also had Deni model for me when i did the conversion to creative. I did feel abit of a div at times when Deni was with me due to the fact that its another tech (nothing to do with you Deni :hug: ) and i was stuffing up quite abit due to lake of teaching with the first company.

I must say if your ever looking for fab hands to work on get Deni...Lovely beds !!

I am taking my Daughter to my Ez Flow course this month, I do not have any clients yet and do not know any nail tecs around me that I could take.

I am sure it will be fine with my daughter I am looking forward to spending some extra time with her over the two days as with having 5 kids it is hard somedays to spread myself about.

Also catching her in is not easy when we are at home LOL.

Caz xxx

Debs said:

Debs you didn't add mums to your poll ;) !

I always take my mum along - she is always fascinated by the whole process and loves "road-testing" all the products I train in!! Also, she's just about the most reliable person I know and has never let me down - unfortunately, the few times I have asked friends, they have suddenly had something come up at the last minute! A big plus is that my mum also has fantastic nails that are brilliant to work on and somehow, no matter how bad my first attempts at a new product might be, her nails always seem to make them look good, thank goodness!

I just passed my Creative Foundation Course here in Australia, and I was finding it very trciky to find models as I was doing my course an hour away from where I live. I had a brainwave early in the week when I was desperate to find 2 people for the last 2 days for full sets. Backpackers! Particularly the ones that are staying put working for a while, usually a cruisy lifestyle, so very adaptable.

Well, one was a German girl, and the other was actually an Aussie student staying in a place that more like student accommodation. I just rang the admin and asked if they'd ask around for me and call back in a day or 2.

I picked them up and dropped them off again, so finding somewhere fairly central/close to the training was important.

Anyway, I'm still slow, but quite happy with the nails I'm doing so far, and plan to keep on practicing as much as possible...

Mercury

I would have voted "Anybody I could lay my hands on" :lol:
Getting a model can be very difficult. I have two daughters, both of whom I,ve used as models in the past. One's a nail tech and the other is the client from hell, she's bites her nails off weekly so has awful nail beds.
If, like me, you don't live close to any worthwhile training centres the model you take with you may have to sit around in the car until needed. That's alot to ask of someone. I can ask that of my daughters or of fellow nail techs.
I don't know any of my clients that I could ask that of. None of them are what I would call friends, they are acquaintences.
You also need to feel very comfortable with the person you're working on, afterall it could mean the difference between pass or fail.
So I'd say, take who you want.

Hollyballoo said:
Debs you didn't add mums to your poll ;) !

I always take my mum along - she is always fascinated by the whole process and loves "road-testing" all the products I train in!! Also, she's just about the most reliable person I know and has never let me down - unfortunately, the few times I have asked friends, they have suddenly had something come up at the last minute! A big plus is that my mum also has fantastic nails that are brilliant to work on and somehow, no matter how bad my first attempts at a new product might be, her nails always seem to make them look good, thank goodness!
I never even thought of mums, sorry, probably cos I lost my mum 6 years ago. She was my best friend so I`m sure she would have come along as my model although I don`t think she would have made the best model.
I started off with my Daughter but she had to take a day off and she finds it hard sitting still all that time so she won`t do it again. She`ll sit here with me and let me try something new but to go to a training session she`ll always opt out.
I originally saw a post on here asking for a model from Tamm in Warwickshire which I answered and answered her plea and it was from there on that I saw the benefits of having another tech. They know whats expected and can offer fantastic support. While I`m not saying anyone else can offer the same kind of support, I think a fellow tech knows exactly what another has to go through and can be understanding, patient and supportive in a far better way. Thats just my opinion and I wanted to get others views on it and am interested in seeing how the poll goes.
Thanks for everyone participating

My best mate is my usual model - she's fab :Love:

Not interested in being a tech, but interested in the process, and a quick learner so she will pick me up if I've forgotten to do something.

She was an angel on my Masters when I came down with flu 4 days before, she fed me cold remedys, fed me food and drink to keep me well!

On the day she was really supportive and kept an eye on time for me - made me slow down and concentrate on my smile lines etc.

Karin has also been my model who is fab too - Thanks Karin :hug:

Maybe I'm lucky but they have both been fab even though one is a tech and one's not

Most of my family are in Scotland and I struggled getting models for ages and was totally fed up being let down at the last minute. Most of my friends work in 9-5 jobs so it would mean them taking days off and me a nervous wreck in case they let me down at the last minute. It was a GOD SEND when I got to know other technicians through this site (thanks Sam!) and up until last week it was a dream having 2 very supportive nail technicians who were happy to make themselves available for all my l&p master classes. I wouldn't have obtained my L&P Masters without them as I wouldn't have been able to attend all the classes I wanted to if I were to have the added stress of finding non-tech models to accommodate certain dates.

Both my models are PROFESSIONAL nail technicians and have encouraged me to keep going and picked me up when I was down. One is already a Master technician and the other taking frequent classes towards her Masters.

If I am restricted to having non-techs as models, I will feel extremely DISAPPOINTED and LET DOWN by the academy. I have worked hard, spent a fortune and struggled for over the last year to achieve what I have. I have lots more still to learn and would love to become a Grand Master but my further education will suffer if I have the unnecessary task of finding non-tech models. PLEASE DON'T MAKE IT HARDER FOR ME!

I use friends or friends of friends, if you know what I mean. Just wish someone else would do some training so that I could be asked to be a model for the day, and pampered instead of always doing my own,

Kimi

My mum is usually my model, which is great because she loves to learn about it all and also great because she'll watch me practising and home and pick me up on things if I've forgotten. She's travelled with me to courses even if I haven't needed a model because of my panic attacks and cos I don't think I could bear to stay in a Travelodge on my own :D

Other than that my best mate was my model for my first trade test the other week. It was a toss up between one best mate and the other as both have lovely slim nails to work on, but it was fab having Sarah there as a calming influence and to keep the conversation rolling!

For me, I try to have one of my nail tech mates for a model. I have been a model once and I did learn from it as well...and being still new to it all, I thought it was great. I think though whoever you had, you would have to be comforatble with them and trust them too.

In the past I have used a nail tech, Sister, friend and client.

I have found that friends and other Nail techs work best.

Hi Debs,

For me personally I would prefer to ask another nail technician or family member. I personally would not ask a customer (unless they had nail bed's to die for, ie competition model). :biggrin:

I did read your previous poll concerning this. I have paid alot of money in training and products and still have alot further to go. I for one, would not wish to show a customer the tricks of the trade.

JMHO

Lou x

All of my courses i have used other nail techs - its an opportunity for two of us to learn for the price of one ! Not sure id feel comfortable using clients, though now a days there are a couple that i would consider.

My greatest friends, who i have met through this site are just the best, and I'd always ask them first because of the help it maybe to them and their business too, they are such fantastic support too and know exactly where im coming from, and help me ! lol

I have to say though, and im not sure if its because they are all great nail technicians themselves or just me, but i get enormously frustrated with myself - as some of them will know ! lol when i just cant get to grips with something and i get nervous having other nail technicians with me when im not doing as well as id hoped ..... yes i know thats its a training course ! but i expect to understand and pick things up quickly and produce the same as the tutor - absolutely no patience in this geek at all !

Heatherw55, Sassy and Deb379 - thanks so much, I couldnt wish for better friends .... you know more courses are coming so keep those phone free !

kx

When Idid my Backscratchers conversion....I used a client....one of the most loyal Ive got so I felt she would be the most appropriate!

She has been with me from "day 1" as many of my clients have!
I feel sooooo comfortable with this particular lady and her passion for lovely nails made her my most obvious choice!
Im grateful for her faith and trust in me and her loyalty!!! :Love:

My only other great big "Thank you" would have to go to my eldest Daughter Jo!
She is such a guinea pig.....anything new....I throw it at her.....!
She splits herself in two...........when she needs to and when me and Glorsclaws needed a model and Jo's friend was taken ill....Jo stepped in for both of us....and had one arm on each side of the table....so we could share her!!!!
Luv ya me little hunny!!! :Love:

Ive offered to be a model.....Samoyed did her 4 day FDC in Nov and was her model.....she is a talent and has a natural flair and will do soooo well!
Luv ya Kerry! xxx

Latest posts

Back