why do we bother!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sash1

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just wondered if everyone feels the same as i do about people with NO training or qualifications in this industry walking into shops ie. sallys and buying products that clearly state FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY. Its making me wonder why did i bothered doing the training and getting qualified. So many people are now shopping in these shops or buying off ebay thinking because they have professional products it makes them professionals.

i just would like to know if everyone feels the same?
thank you for listening to me moaning again!

sash

I feel exactly the same, the places that sell these goods to the public should have more respect for us the professionals, but instead they are helping to put us out of business and supporting the fly-by-nights that call themselves nail techs

It dosen't really bother me (ie. I don't waste any energy worrying about something I can do nothing about!). They will not be able to produce proffesional results with them & will do no more damage to the reputation of our proffesion than NSS salons (probably less damage as their reach to the general public will be less than NSS salons).

Much prefer to concentrate my own work & standards than worry about what others are doing.

im glad im not the only one what feels this way.
why do they bother printing FOR PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY on the bottle if that is not the case!!

i had a client ask me on thurs - 'are u a self taught nail tech too' i went mad!!
clearly she wasn't bothered if i was qualified or not!! xx

You can be self taught in many things but nails and beauty isnt one of them .Cooking, wallpapering, gardening d.i.y card craft - yes.

Nails, beauty & hairdressing defnitely not.

Some people are so silly. We do we bother - exactly!!!

Not something I worry about, I say let them do it and then come to me to put it right. I am happy to take this business.

You can be self taught in many things but nails and beauty isnt one of them .Cooking, wallpapering, gardening d.i.y card craft - yes.

Nails, beauty & hairdressing defnitely not.

Some people are so silly. We do we bother - exactly!!!

I disagree, I think you can be self taught in just about anything, but it is rare that you can do it was well as someone who has been properly trained to do it.

I had to laugh today cos I saw a kit on Ebay for about £40. It had everything you needed to start doing your own nails - all pro products - albeit cheap ones, a training video AND a certificate ... "and you can be producing lovely nails within a few weeks"! I just thought a fool and their money are soon parted!

Sad thing was it was a nail tech trying to say "why part with your money every 2-3 weeks? Why pay loads for training, get this and just DIY"! talk about shooting yourself in the foot!!!!

I recently found on a website someone selling the professional range that I use for manicures and pedicures. I got in touch with my supplier and gave them the name of the website, and they are going to look into it. Whether they'll do anything is another matter, but it made me feel better!

Stuff like this has been going on for YEARS, and it never affected my own ability to make good money- Focus on yourself, and educating every client you get in your chair, and change will happen, even if its a slow go. ;)

Those half wits buying kits will only send you more business ;)

Why do you care?

IF there is a nailtech, who by accident, has become a good nailtech buy her own and gets lots of customers and do a good business, good for her!

There ARE lots of bad techs, with and without training, if you are better than them, you will win!

You can not do anything about either of them, so concentrate on yourself instead.

In the end, I think the marked will decide. AND, at least in Norway, the good once will always do a good business. Maybe the bad once too, but it doesn't affect the good once.

C.

Speaking as a "tech in training", I've seen what horrors DIY can do with even minimal training. I have no worries that they will affect my business.

I had a girl come down from the freshman class yesterday with, um, cloven hooves. She was just about in tears. Since I only had about 20 minutes, I filed them into a reasonable shape for the time being, but there was product all over her cuticles and sidewalls. She has had a week of training up there on l&p and used white tips that were halfway down her nail plate. I felt so bad for her.

S

'Its making me wonder why did i bothered doing the training and getting qualified. So many people are now shopping in these shops or buying off ebay thinking because they have professional products it makes them professionals'

I'm baffled by why no-one has mentioned insurance yet......

As well as the fact that training allows an understanding of the chemistry of the product, therefore allowing a greater chance of getting the best from your chosen range.

It makes me sad that people think they can produce good nails without training, and further training just by using professional products, or not even professional products in some cases. I know someone who still, despite my showing her my own nails constantly, thinks that her stick on nails from a chemists are just as good as the ones i produce.....mind you, she does have an eyesight test booked!

Orin

I bring up insurance at any given piont, to the fact that I am getting boring....in this country, our very reasonably priced insurance policies haven't ever been challenged in a court of law....how would they stand up? Who would be brought into question.....just the tech or her training provider also?

This is annoying, but i look forward to the day when this industry is finally regulated, all these cowboys and people who haven't had the proper training will be dead in the water.

All of us who have paid our money and paidin sweat and tears with our training will be rolling 'em in!

i find that eventually a lot of people will be more aware of insurance and proper training and will go to techs that are trained. I get asked quite a lot these days about training i have done and if i am insured and i find the public are starting to care. It will take time, but it will happen!

This is annoying, but i look forward to the day when this industry is finally regulated, all these cowboys and people who haven't had the proper training will be dead in the water.

All of us who have paid our money and paidin sweat and tears with our training will be rolling 'em in!

i find that eventually a lot of people will be more aware of insurance and proper training and will go to techs that are trained. I get asked quite a lot these days about training i have done and if i am insured and i find the public are starting to care. It will take time, but it will happen!

I agree with this, I also get asked quite often, so hopefully in time the public will realise how important qualifications and insurance are.

Imo there will always be people who buy the product and have a dabble, I had such a situation recently when someone came to me after her friend had "done her nails", she had filed her natural nails so much I'm surprised she didn't set the house alight! There was no way I was going to put anything on her nails and she was flinching when I even took her hands to have a look. Just a manicure and solar oil.

I disagree, I think you can be self taught in just about anything, but it is rare that you can do it was well as someone who has been properly trained to do it.

I had to laugh today cos I saw a kit on Ebay for about £40. It had everything you needed to start doing your own nails - all pro products - albeit cheap ones, a training video AND a certificate ... "and you can be producing lovely nails within a few weeks"! I just thought a fool and their money are soon parted!

Sad thing was it was a nail tech trying to say "why part with your money every 2-3 weeks? Why pay loads for training, get this and just DIY"! talk about shooting yourself in the foot!!!!

I suppose there is defnitely elements of self taught in my own career but all from a platform of professional training.

Mind you , nearly all of the clients I go to have purchased some sort of home nails kit and its now gathering dust in the loft...bless them.

Do you really think this will make one iota of difference? Look at the States; they have licensing and are still over run with NSS.

Do you really know what being regulated or getting a licence means? I had to get one for permanent makeup from my Environmental Health Officer. She didn't have a clue about the treatment or what it entailed, I had to tell her!

All they do is check your training certificate, your equipment and your premises meet legislation requirements. They do not give you a licence based on skills or actual working practices - they don't see you actually doing a treatment.

All it entails is a load more red tape and more money to the government. It will not be a green light to raising standards at all IMO.

My mommy always said...

"CHEATS NEVER PROSPER"

I think in most cases that true. There will, however, always be an exception to the rule! But i think that odd one is nothing for us 'real' technicians to worry about!

Latest posts

Back