Why does it bother us?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanosnana

Premium Geek
Reaction score
We've all read the threads/posts; the discount salon down the street is only charging so and so. My best friend bought some Shellac/Gelish/Minx off ebay and is now doing nails. So and so posted a pic on Facebook and I know that is not her work.

As pros, why does it bother us what Josephine/Joe Blow down the street does? Does it REALLY affect our business that our BFF bought Shellac from ebay? Does it REALLY affect our business that the pic on Facebook isn't done by the poster? Does it REALLY affect our business that the salon down the street is only charging $6.00 for a Shellac mani/pedi combo with a complimentary eyebrow wax and a free cuppa joe, to boot?

I think I have 'lost' one of my Shellac clients to a discount salon. So be it! I know I Shellac BETTER than any discount salon around. If said 'client' wants to go discount, why should I let it it bother me? Obviously, I'm not for her and she's not for me. There are many other 'fish in the pond' so to speak. As long as they are not garra rufa in a pedi pond...LOL!

I personally think if we, as PROS, concentrate on what makes US great (education/qualifications/licensed pros/using professional products, etc.), let the chips fall where they may. :)

Thoughts?

We've all read the threads/posts; the discount salon down the street is only charging so and so. My best friend bought some Shellac/Gelish/Minx off ebay and is now doing nails. So and so posted a pic on Facebook and I know that is not her work.

As pros, why does it bother us what Josephine/Joe Blow down the street does? Does it REALLY affect our business that our BFF bought Shellac from ebay? Does it REALLY affect our business that the pic on Facebook isn't done by the poster? Does it REALLY affect our business that the salon down the street is only charging $6.00 for a Shellac mani/pedi combo with a complimentary eyebrow wax and a free cuppa joe, to boot?

I think I have 'lost' one of my Shellac clients to a discount salon. So be it! I know I Shellac BETTER than any discount salon around. If said 'client' wants to go discount, why should I let it it bother me? Obviously, I'm not for her and she's not for me. There are many other 'fish in the pond' so to speak. As long as they are not garra rufa in a pedi pond...LOL!

I personally think if we, as PROS, concentrate on what makes US great (education/qualifications/licensed pros/using professional products, etc.), let the chips fall where they may. :)

Thoughts?

i agree mostly.

only mostly because i have actually lost money. around £100 a week for the last month because my clients have gone to my unqualified and uninsured Facebook friend. ok Im starting to get some back but yep I've lost a lot to some idiot with a pot of gel and some Chinese 3d bows. it does upset me i have to be honest! its frustrating. and actually a bit hurtful :-(

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

As pros, why does it bother us what Josephine/Joe Blow down the street does? ...

Normally I would say no, but lately, I've been getting people contacting me left and right about this or that local place that completely trashed their nails. Yeah its good for ME, in a sense, but it frustrates the hell out of me that there are people out there doing crap and literally damaging peoples nails or putting them at risk, sanitation/health wise.

Keep in mind that I am in New Zealand and originally trained/certified/worked in New York and Florida. Understand that there is NO regulation in New Zealand, which is a rant all in itself. As you know, stateside, you have to do continuing ed and get re-certified and the whole shebang. Here? Nothing. And the people who do go through a lot (not all) of the "courses" available, learn damn near nothing that I consider important (how to sculpt properly, proper disinfection, etc etc). Its wham, bam, thankyou ma'am.

The amount of times, in the past month that I have had to explain to people about product, procedure and they went "Well the last place I went to said...." and I had to explain to them what was true and what was not. Three of them even said to me "Why should I care?" And then I told them why, leaving them stunned (like mullets).

For example, when I arrived I went to take a class with a famous brand (not to be mentioned, but Izzy may just remember that nightmare scenario cos she was the one who kept me from losing my mind over it - (thanx again Izz - you are a doll :)) and I knew more than the trainer for aforementioned company and she still wouldn't give me the certification for that company because I refused to etch a nail with a 100grit file and double prime. (amongst other things).

Yes it makes those of us who have trained properly and continue to seek education and training much more professional, but in the end, with a lot of these people here in NZ, they just don't know any better and many of the "techs" out there utilise that to their own advantage risking clients safety. THAT DRIVES ME INSANE.

/end rant.

Glad you asked? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, it doesn't really bother me. I don't really pay any attention. I think if you have enough work and your clients are happy, it's kind of easy to ignore what's going on down the road. And people will ALWAYS undercut and buy off ebay and so forth; I can't be bothered to waste my energy worrying about it.

Couldn't agree more deanosnanna. My point of view is that if a client wants "discount", then I don't want that particular client. If the client is only "price" driven.........then she/he isn't the sort of client with whom I can build a relationship and who will stay loyal to me. He/she will be off to follow the latest "special offer/Groupon deal" in the locality.

Don't sweat about what Jo Bloggs is doing.....just concentrate your efforts on your own business.

Great thread deanosnana!

One of the very first things I was ever taught before I even lifted a brush, was to not worry about what everyone else is doing.

I've seen Salons come and go over the years I've been in business and fingers crossed I'm still going strong.

I charge premium prices for the premium service that I offer and clients aren't stupid... they know they get what they pay for.

Clients that want to go to discount Salons don't interest me and I'm sure I don't interest them either :biggrin:

I used to get my nails done at "those places" before I became licensed, and honestly I'm in shock thatg they haven't been shut down. Nothing is clean..... they reuse files and buffers until they're falling apart......

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

It doesn't really bother me.

I haven't personally been affected. However i do feel sorry for people that decide to try out a treatment and go to one of these people that don't do a proper treatment and cause damage. They then tell all about their bad experience and it tars everyone with the same brush, unless you can grab hold of one of these people and give them a treatment the way it is supposed to be done.

I'm with the "chill-out-and-don't sweat it " posters. :biggrin:

I really don't give a monkees what other people are doing. My clients have freedom of choice ... Let them exercise it.

I don't really care if some people willingly submit and pay to go and get their nails damaged at a salon down the road!

I don't care if some Messers want to do their friends' and family's nails!

It does not affect me or what I do. I only care about what I do and my own business.

I have learned over the last 27 years, to put my efforts into my business and making it successful and it has paid off. :biggrin:

And I have learned that I have never been tarred with anyone else's brush ... The Messers have in fact made me and my work stand out head and shoulders above the rest .. They have made my reputation even greater.

Last edited:
Pretty much everyone is cheaper than me. I work from 9am till 8pm most days and theres no shortage of takers. There will always be cheap hairdressers, I aint gonna be joining in with primark hairdressing.
I make no apologies for my prices, I'm very proud of my work, and know my cutting skills are in the top 1% of hairdressers.

I would sooner charge more and do less....

Why do 20 clients at £10 when you can do 10 clients at £20 ... same money...half the hours worked, half the products used and more time to fit in more clients as and when.

If people want to slog their guts out for silly prices they can, put your prices up people, if you loose some it wont matter because your earning more and if they miss your skills they will be back anyway.

I dont compete with the lass down the road and her get a set of nails free with every spray tan becouse she isn't my competition, we are not in any way comparable.

Agree with bagpuss but I have to say in my area folk love a cheap deal, and to the majority of people they dont seem to care if I use better products and do a better job. So I am not making the money I should because of this, wish the uk was regulated so it would weed out atleast folks that are unqualified & uninsured, but sadly not those who use cheap crap or undercut so much they dont make much. xx

I still consider myself very much in training and have a hard time charging for my services, despite much encouragement from my husband and friends.

Having said that I have had nothing but compliments from the practise runs I have completed - I have carried out services on several friends who have regular appointments will full time nail technicians and have had lots of encouraging feedback on the quality of my work, in particular on how thorough my prep work is. Everyone has also been intrigued to learn what a cuticle actually is & I take great pride in educating them!!!

I credit this 100% to my fantastic CND training & the quality of the products I am using. I don't deny that it will take me a little time to build up my confidence enough to charge the right price for my services but eventually I will, because I have confidence that if I continue to seek the best quality training and invest in the best quality products I will most definitely be worth it!

My lovely mum always taught me that you get what you pay for and to date she has never been wrong!

I think my favourite saying is 'buy cheap buy twice'! I agree it is slightly irritating on the surface however how many salons do we see spring up and close within the first 9 months.

If you offer a superior service with superior products you will get clients to match - they will more likely be loyal and steady, a sound base for any business.

If we spend all our time and energy worrying about what everyone else is doing we are loosing time building our business - life is too short

A little known thing called 'the law of attraction' for anyone who hasnt read The Secret READ IT it will do your business wonders - whatever our thoughts are thats what we attract .....

if we spend our time thinking of new ideas and ways to market and build our business to improve our clients experience etc etc that is what we will achieve. If we spend our time worrying about cut price salons and techs that worry will transpire into problems as thats what we make them!

Get your head down I say feel confident you offer the best and enjoy doing it and you will reap what you sow!:wink2:

I would sooner charge more and do less....

Why do 20 clients at £10 when you can do 10 clients at £20 ... same money...half the hours worked, half the products used and more time to fit in more clients as and when.

If people want to slog their guts out for silly prices they can, put your prices up people, if you loose some it wont matter because your earning more and if they miss your skills they will be back anyway.

I dont compete with the lass down the road and her get a set of nails free with every spray tan becouse she isn't my competition, we are not in any way comparable.

Totally agree.
Thats why I havnt jumped in feet first and started on clients yet. Instead I have followed proper routes, re-trained so that I can gain insurance, practising as much as physically possible and building up a stock of quality products. Its taking time, but time I hope will put me one step ahead of others around me that charge pennies.

I wont be offering many services to begin with, but what I do offer, I hope to be very good at and thus would rather a few clients that are happy with my work and prices, than lots of fly-bys that something for nothing.
x

This thread has cheered me up no end :)

Been really down in the dumps this week, and can barely stand to go on Facebook and see all the £15 and £10 sets of nails being offered :(

I even (very briefly!) wondered if I should lower my prices, but definitely won't be!

Agree with bagpuss but I have to say in my area folk love a cheap deal, and to the majority of people they dont seem to care if I use better products and do a better job. So I am not making the money I should because of this, wish the uk was regulated so it would weed out atleast folks that are unqualified & uninsured, but sadly not those who use cheap crap or undercut so much they dont make much. xx

Hi Sarah, unfortunately, being regulated gives a false sense of security and does not weed out the unqualified. In the US all states, with the exception of Connecticut, require licensing. However, that does not prevent unsavory folks from doing the wrong thing.

There are many chop shops set up and run by unlicensed people. IMHO, those who choose to do the wrong thing and NOT follow the rules will do so, no matter what.

It's unfortunate, that's for sure.

Does it REALLY affect our business that our BFF bought Shellac from ebay?
Yes, IF they work in a proper salon and are giving the product a bad rep using knock-offs AND by supporting illegitimate distributors.
Does it REALLY affect our business that the pic on Facebook isn't done by the poster?
Yes, IF they can't reproduce the results, again hurting the reputation of the industry.
Does it REALLY affect our business that the salon down the street is only charging $6.00 for a Shellac mani/pedi combo with a complimentary eyebrow wax and a free cuppa joe, to boot?
No, because everyone knows the adage "you get what you pay for" and at $6, they'll close up shop quick.

Yes and no. I think as PROS, we should work harder TOGETHER and try to raise standards and increase awareness of the consumers and get them to DEMAND better standards from the government. They are more numerous than we, and will be heard better.

Thoughts?

I really don't give a monkees what other people are doing. My clients have freedom of choice ... Let them exercise it.
ditto

I don't really care if some people willingly submit and pay to go and get their nails damaged at a salon down the road!
ditto, if they want to be a dummy

I don't care if some Messers want to do their friends' and family's nails!
I do, but only because I get tired of defending acrylic against the nasty reputation it's earning due to NSS and dummy-DIY'ers

It does not affect me or what I do. I only care about what I do and my own business.
I have found that caring less about the dummies and focusing more on my own business has made me happier and more successful. BUT I don't deny that their damage to the reputation of the industry still irks me.

I have learned over the last 27 years, to put my efforts into my business and making it successful and it has paid off. :biggrin:

And I have learned that I have never been tarred with anyone else's brush ... The Messers have in fact made me and my work stand out head and shoulders above the rest .. They have made my reputation even greater.
DITTO! I'm learning the same. Just this morning, I had a client who was missing a nail. She banged it in a car door and it popped off. She said the most shocking part of it was NOT the pain, that was short lived. What shocked her was that she could sit in the tub later for a hot soak and her finger was NOT throbbing and it wasn't missing layers, and it didn't have a huge red trench in it. She was SHOCKED because at the local NSS if she lost a nail, it ached for days and she couldn't even wash her hands without it bothering her. Now she's singing my praises all over Facebook.
SO YUP, the messers make US look like GODS hehehe

Once upon a time, I was very insecure and concerned about raising my prices.
Now, if someone tells me I'm too expensive, I tell them "oh well" and leave it at that.
I'm not the best, I still have plenty to learn.
BUT I KNOW that I'm good. I KNOW that I kick NSS-butt and that my clients are happy clients.

SO while I do still want to increase awareness amongst consumers about the facts. While I still want those NSS shut down every time I see someone's nails trashed with puncture's through the nail plates from excessive filing. While I stand and proudly defend Acrylic and my Industry every time someone insults it due to their solitary experience at the NSS....
They don't hurt me. If they did, my business wouldn't continue to grow as it has.

I got out of school for cosmetology in 2009 and just finding a job and I am doing nails and I am so out of practice now I am afraid of losing my job if my pedicures and manicures don't improve and my speed on doing then is horrible and I am having problems getting the color polish on without making a mess. If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it. I am so worried about losing my job...:(

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back