Why don't you "do" feet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
I've thought about this often.
SO many techs don't touch feet. They may well train to do pedis etc but once trained they refuse point blank to do them.
I don't mind as I get a lot of business due to this, but have you actually thought about the income that you are losing?:confused:
If you don't "do" feet you are missing out on a lot of trade.
When you started out in this career did you think about this?
Pedis, gel/acrylic toenails, nail art.
When the summer comes this is a massive source of income.
Are you prepared to miss out on a major part of the industry?
If so, why?
Did you think about this before you started training?

I have never liked feet. Not even my own. Such nasty, funny and sometimes ugly odd looking things.
If hubby puts his feet on me, I throw a right hissy. He doesn't have anything wrong with them. Just... ewwww... they put me off :lol:

I will occasionally do pedis for friends and family and only a small handful of clients that I know WELL. For a fee of course. But I don't advertise. I've seen enough hands at my table that aren't washed properly with nails that look like they've never seen a nail brush.
You couldn't pay me enough to deal with toe-jam, foot fungus and the other myriad of toe-yukkies.

:lol:

the only feet I like belong to babies and toddlers and only cause I nibble on them

:lol:

I am trained in Pedi's as well as mani's and Bio Sculptures nails and I fullty intend to run a big promotion from the spring time on doing coloured and french Bio on toe nails.

When I trained in Pedis at college a while back I wasnt looking forward to them but I was totally suprised how much I enjoyed it.

I do feet :) I must admit that I didn't really like doing pedi's but it does bring in the money especially in the summer months so as long as they are soaked and smelling fresh before I start I am happy to do them :)

Just to add to the thread - if you guys do gel or acylic on toes for the summer how much soaking of the feet do you do before and after the overlay?

I never liked the thought of pedicures, touching someones smelly sweaty feet but as soon as the first client requested one i booked her in and thought well its all money so just get on with it, it really wasnt that bad at all and it dosnt bother me now, infact the first time is memorable because i used a household foot stool to sit on and it collapsed under me so that is one both i and the client will remember for a long time lol

I love doing pedicures.

I get a lot of satisfaction making some really ugly feet into something that is much more attractive looking.

People really enjoy pedicures too. Its a real pampering treatment.

I haven't really come across dirty feet. Everyone I've dealt with has been clean and well presented.

What I really don't understand is why you would train to do a job but only do half of it.
You are trained nail technicians. Not just for hands but for feet as well.
I love it when I get a client with horrible feet.
Yeah I know, call me sick:)
But the difference in the before and after is the most amazing thing.
You can wear gloves, soak the feet first, after checking them obviously.
But it can give you an enormous sense of self satisfaction when someone calls in with horrible feet and leave with something good to look at.
Try it...you never know, you might like it.

I don't mind doing feet generally but its getting comfortable i find difficult and carrying around hot water ,its all a bit of a faff about and you never really know how long its going to take at the start of summer because a lot of women stop looking after their feet completely after they stop wearing sandals.

I used to hate feet and refused point blank to do pedis....until I opened my salon and then thought to myself....hunni you have to do feet, so I started doing pedicures and now I actually quite enjoy it!

Always a good idea to wear safety glasses or at least turn your head away when cutting nails....you never know when you might get one in the eye....and yes, there is the occasional tinge of toe jam, even after soaking, but it's well worth it for the client satisfaction and end result!

Got to admit I do love to do pedi's. In fact I do loads and use a deep heated foot spa which my clients lurrvveee! I find if you so a client their first pedi real good they just wanna have them all the time never mind the summer!!

Even more of a pamper with paraffin wax

Well tbh feet put me off! However I went to do a clients nails and they wanted their feet doing also so I just done it. My dad waits for months to get his feet doing on the NHS, not anymore I do them when he needs it doing, he was going through socks like you wouldn't believe as they cut him back to every 3 or 4 months!
He has no probs with his feet otherwise, he just can't do his toenails himself. Bless me I am willing. :)

i love feet!!!!
i love my own feet being done, so i love giving that back to clients!!
people think im strange!!!
i never turn my nose up at any foot job! lol

i love feet!!!!
i love my own feet being done, so i love giving that back to clients!!
people think im strange!!!
i never turn my nose up at any foot job! lol

Someone can be in the supermarket in sandals and they have hard skin and crap toenails...I soooo want to get them:lol:
Sometimes, I don't know how I don't say something.

When I first trained I did hate the thought of feet and still do a bit !!, but I have realized the amount of business I'm losing.

Many of my clients visits other salons during the summer months, which is why I've decided to add to my training to include this service, the trade is already there for the taking.

so this summer I'll be adding pedi's and gel toes , many clients are already expressing an interest.

I think I'm going to end up loving it xx

When I first trained I did hate the thought of feet and still do a bit !!, but I have realized the amount of business I'm losing.

Many of my clients visits other salons during the summer months, which is why I've decided to add to my training to include this service, the trade is already there for the taking.

so this summer I'll be adding pedi's and gel toes , many clients are already expressing an interest.

I think I'm going to end up loving it xx

Gel toes are brilliant in the summer. My clients loved them. Had loads of bookings. You will love doing them hun.

ive always done toes with either l and p and more recently gel ( much much much easier) but have always had bookings throughout the winter months too,
i say to them, "they are great for when your sumer tan is fading, your toes will still look great,"
" they are great for xmas parties and new year,"
"they are great for now as spring is coming and you want to look good whilst your waiting for summer,"
and then summer yee haa "you need these toes as ,,, its summer!!,"
then back to square one again lol

When I originally trained I did manicure and pedicure.

Almost my first booking for a pedicure turned out to be an older lady lady who had horrendous toenails - when she took her shoes off her feet were covered in dried blood. She had claw toes and she had tried to cut her own toenails and cut her skin.

I suggested she should consult her GP to get a referral to a podiatrist. She went off on one at me saying that she had walked on these feet for over 60 years and had never had any problems and all she wanted was a bit of polish for the weekend. I then said that if her doctor gave the all clear then I would gladly do the bit of polish she wanted. I never heard from her again. This really put me off.

Another reason I dont do feet, is the way my room is set out, I end up sitting on the floor and my old bones dont cope too well with the up and down.

In saying all that, I dont get asked very often and I cant really say to people, I will do a pedicure provided you have nice feet LOL.

I wouldn't do pedis because I have the tiniest feet and everyone's big feet used to scare the bejeezus out of me!!!! I also wouldn't do French manis as they annoyed me if I couldn't get a perfect smile line.

But you're right Judy, I thought how the hell could I call myself a nail tech when I only had half the services on my menu? Well with the help of many geeks I got over my fears and learned to do both. When I did my first French pedi I knew I was cured ... and now I realise how much income I was missing out on all those years.

I have had more than one day where I did nothing BUT pedicures- with a very easy upsell to add a mani and a gel polish- upping my bill for the service by nearly double.

The most money I have made in an 8 hour day ($around 750) was a direct result of doing pedicures. Wouldn't give them up on my menu for anything ;)

That and like others have said, I really REALLY love how great the before and after is- nothing compares ;)

Latest posts

Back