Will I still be a Nail tech at 60?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diddy

Reaction score
Was asked the other day if i would be doing nails in my 60's and it made me think, why ask of course i love my job, i love what i do! just wondering of all your thoughts on it, many thanks

If you love what you do and clients still want you to continue, why not? I'm fifty soon and although i trained a couple of years ago. Living in france held me back. I now live in Italy and i'm gonna go for it!. I do think perhaps the age of clients might grow with us but to be honest if you have done a youngster nails and they love them, they'll be back! I do think our appearance will have an affect though ( so musn't look to grannyish). I don't think we would attract new clients if we looked like we were about to be committed to the nearest home. Just had a thought though, one could always continue with our new found clients!
Just want to say how much i enjoy 'The Nail Geek' It's brilliant! Have picked up so much info already. It would be nice to have some feedback from younger techs. Don't worry girls (boys) us oldies have tough skin lol.

Its a bit like asking how longs a piece of string. Who knows. Life is unexpected and I bet loads of Geeks would say I would never have thought I would be doing nails 5 years ago. I think as long as people keep up with latest techniques and have continuing education then age doesnt/shouldnt come into it.

anne xx

I'm hoping on doing this business til about 70, maybe longer. As long as I'm able I hope to. I don't plan on retiring anytime soon because I think when you become you idle you die. I'm over 50 now and look forward to keeping busy and productive. If you love what you do, why would you want to quit.

I'll be doing nails for as long as my body lets me. I might have to do fewer clients, but no way am I putting my brush down--not till I'm pushing up daisies. :)

Well I am over 60 and I am still doing nails!! In fact any day now I will be taking over a salon for a month while the lovely owner enjoys her new baby girl (and over Xmas too ... what was I thinking? Was I mad?). Actually I'm looking forward to it.

Definitely! I am 53 now and have no intention of ever giving up! As long as I can see and hold a brush I will be here! I do wonder what modern technology will bring along for us by then though, maybe they will have machines that do nails instead of us? I hope not. :)

How lucky are we "oldies", doing a job that we are all passionate about and love, when there are so many 50+ peeps out there stuck in jobs that they don't like but are afraid to leave (for whatever reason) and study for a career that can make them truly happy in their work. I feel blessed every day that I love my work and look forward to each day and to the challenges that the day brings. I will continue to study and better myself and to create the best nails that I can until my mind or body stops me.lol:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks everyone, as I said before I love what I do, and will be doing nails as long as possible xx

Latest posts

Back