Working illegally

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smooth

Reaction score
If someone is working illegally and I don't just mean without certificate, insurance etc I actually mean breaking the law which can result in prison/fine, what would you do? Would you report them or just keep your nose to the ground and ignore?

What would you do Smooth?

Jacqui xx

It kind of goes against everthing we are bought up with as children to dob someone in.

If the person was a horrid thug it would be easy to do wouldn't it.

If it is some poor soul who paid a fortune to get here in the hope of a better life I wouldn't have the heart.

Its a moral dilemma eh.

I expect this thread to become a little bit emotive lol.

Jacqui xx

Perhaps look at it through the eyes of someone being on the receiving end of their treatments/services, or even maybe yourself.

Would you really want them being let loose on you or the general public. I suppose it depends on what they are offering clients but illegal is illegal and these people need to be stamped out.

It does nothing for our business/profession.

A lot of places that you can report things like this to, I understand, are anonymous anyway, so they may not even know that it was you, unless you have spoken to them and voiced opinions directly to them, then they maybe become suspicious

HTH

In my opinion illegal is illegal and depending what they are doing is potentially dangerous and possibly putting the legal companies out of business!!! But having had that little rant lol are you 100% they are illegal? There is no harm done with a little phone call expressing your concerns to the right people.

HTHs

Good points .. I was thinking more of any illegal worker, apple picker, sweeper-up etc.

But as this is a beauty forum I'm not sure why I didn't just think of nail techs or beauty therapists in relation to the question duh!

If it was a salon employing a bunch of illegal workers I would hapily report the SALON!!

That's as far as I would go.

As I said for me to physically report an individual it would be a moral dilemma.

Its much easier to target a group of people as opposed to a single person.

Jacqui xx

I think if it is your line of work Smooth I would deffo report them! What you do could really have serious consequences if not done properly. Then again I suppose what we all do could!

I am not sure by what you mean as illegal, are they in the country illegally?, are they carrying out illegal services :o !! I have no idea what illegal things you could do in a Salon that would result in going to jail :eek: !!
Without knowing the facts no one can really give a constructive answer.

I agree with Taggy. If it's someone who could injure a client, I'm pretty sure I'd report them. They damage the profession and don't know what they are doing.

i know a so called beauty professional who i consider to be working illegally -she trained at college, and works mobile part time but has no insurance - she told me she had better things to fork out £85 for than insurance, and is not registered as a business and therefore pays no tax - keeps every single penny and is happy to admit it - she told me the other day whilst she is "practising" she doesnt see why she has to declare its as she's not yet officially running a business - yet she has regular clients for acrylic nails and spraytanning and charges the going rate
it makes me angry, specially as she is so boastful and i really struggle to pay for every single thing in my kit down to the last emery board or cotton wool bud - but i just cant dob her in as someone above mentioned, its just not me .. she will get found out, she cant keep her mouth quiet for long enough and someone will report her but im sorry to say that it wont be me

i know a so called beauty professional who i consider to be working illegally -she trained at college, and works mobile part time but has no insurance - she told me she had better things to fork out £85 for than insurance, and is not registered as a business and therefore pays no tax - keeps every single penny and is happy to admit it - she told me the other day whilst she is "practising" she doesnt see why she has to declare its as she's not yet officially running a business - yet she has regular clients for acrylic nails and spraytanning and charges the going rate
it makes me angry, specially as she is so boastful and i really struggle to pay for every single thing in my kit down to the last emery board or cotton wool bud - but i just cant dob her in as someone above mentioned, its just not me .. she will get found out, she cant keep her mouth quiet for long enough and someone will report her but im sorry to say that it wont be me

So basically she is committing tax fraud which indirectly affects us all?

We all at some point or another use the NHS, have or will have pensions later on in life or have to use a government service for something!

Reporting tax fraud : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

'You can report this type of fraud online, or by calling the Tax Evasion Hotline on 0800 788 887, open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Saturday and Sunday 8.00 am to 4.00 pm. This is a confidential service and you don't have to give your name.'

or even report it on line

So would you class this as 'dobbing' somebody in? is this really equal to your best mate at school putting a drawing pin on the teachers chair? or is it more in line with somebody selling 'crack' to your son or daughter? would you then 'dob' them in for doing something illegal which make them a bit of cash?

Sorry to rant but I don't see why I should have to pay taxes etc... and anyone else making money shouldn't!

I personally wouldn't get involved. I am not spiteful and rather keep my head down and get on with my own life and not interfear with someone elses. There are plenty of busy bodies out there who will do it so I don't want it on my head.

I don't agree someone selling crack to my daughter can be compared to someone doing a set of nails on her and not declaring their earnings. Ye illegal is illegal but it doesn't have the same out come for my dauhgter. The punishments for the crimes themselves are different and prove they are not in the same category.

The harm personally done to someone's daughter
I agree is massively different however both drug dealer and tax evader are both doing something to make illegal money, they both can have a custodial sentence, tax fraud means you will have to pay any tax you owe and potentially also be fined upto 100% of the monies owed. If beauty procedures including acrylic nails are not performed correctly or health and safety guide lines are not being followed this could end up seriously harming somebody, isn't this the reason why legal nail techs spend hours and hours or their lifes training to become qualified? these jobs aren't easy and if they where anyone would just do it.

I agree with Izzydoll, no one can really give a constructive answer unless we know what you mean by illegal.
Please expand-you dont need to mention names but to really help you we need a few more facts.
x

I agree with Carla and wouldn't get involved, is it personal? I mean she is qualified so not likely to hurt or damage a client, I'm not saying I agree with what is happening but without wishing to offend it sounds a little like u are cross she has the clients and want to stop her from doing treatments. The thing is there is nothing to stop someone that is insured from coming along and seriously undercutting u and taking all ur potential customers! Also is it not possible that she could only be doing a handful of clients/friends and family? It could end up a full on war between the two of u, just be careful x

This could have just been a TPT but as it happens, I have been privvy to some information which I wish I hadn't be made aware of. Well I will expand a little, illegal as in what they are doing with medicine, making decisions when they shouldn't, so potentially being very dangerous as well as illegal!! They do not have the knowledge, experience or qualification to be doing what they are doing and to top it all, they are not very nice (personally) at all AND they have been warned by plenty of others and received a warning from the authorities yet they are still carrying out an illegal act.

I'm not mentioning names, location, profession etc but they do seem to ignore the prescribing law and medicine regulations. So the public are potentially at risk yes, should be it just be down to one person to report them or make it a joint effort?

fwiw if I was in this position I would report them as an individual and try and rally a collective as well. I say this because I would want to take personal responsibility in doing my utmost to protect the publilc from rogue traders when such risks are being taken.

I wouldn't feel bad about whether they knew it was me or not because I believe it would be acting in the best interests of everyone concerned, the public, fair trading practitioners and the authorities.

Whether that helps you or not I don't know, but it's not a nice decision to have to make and I think you should listen to whatever your gut instinct is telling regarding your own moral compass.

This could have just been a TPT but as it happens, I have been privvy to some information which I wish I hadn't be made aware of. Well I will expand a little, illegal as in what they are doing with medicine, making decisions when they shouldn't, so potentially being very dangerous as well as illegal!! They do not have the knowledge, experience or qualification to be doing what they are doing and to top it all, they are not very nice (personally) at all AND they have been warned by plenty of others and received a warning from the authorities yet they are still carrying out an illegal act.

I'm not mentioning names, location, profession etc but they do seem to ignore the prescribing law and medicine regulations. So the public are potentially at risk yes, should be it just be down to one person to report them or make it a joint effort?
Joint effort is better because the law is better armed to act when they have more then one persons word. However, you either need evidence or you need to be able to tell the law where the evidence is and you need to be 100% certain that the law is being broken.
For example, I watched a program last night about botox etc and it was explained that at the moment it is not law that a medical person gives these injections, a medical person must write the prescription but any one can do the treatment, it went on to explain why this is not wise, that a lot of knowlege of muscle and nerve placement is needed to make it a safe treatment but, as the law stands anyone can do it and because clients sign a contract giving their permission if anything goes wrong, they don't have a leg to stand on.
Would I tell? Yes, we are never going to get better standards in this country if we don't stand up and demand it. Would I tell the ss if my neighbour had her boyfriend staying 5 nights a week instead of 3? No, would I shop someone for working full time and claiming benifit, yes.
Would I turn a blind eye to someone selling stolen goods? No.
In short, it what's going on is hurting or going to hurt someone else, even if it's just by makeing it harder for someone else to make a benifit claim, yes, if they are just trying to live their lives the best way they can, no.
I don't envy you Smooth, but I do think you have to talk to someone official about this.

If someone is working illegally and I don't just mean without certificate, insurance etc I actually mean breaking the law which can result in prison/fine, what would you do? Would you report them or just keep your nose to the ground and ignore?

Depends under what circumstances if it was a family member or a neighbour and they got really desperate in aid to feed and clothe there child I couldn't bring myself to make that call.

It really is a difficult one! If u are concerned they might hurt someone, then u should consider it, but get people on side with u to back u up x

Latest posts

Back