Worried about possible acetone damage on client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a client that has been having shellac every 2 weeks since May this year. She has recently started to have problems with her nails, especially thumbs, splitting quite far down the nail. I have also been having this problem. Now I do realise that this can be down to the nails being longer and normal and therefore need to be filed down. I have been doing this.

Today when I removed her shellac, using acetone, her index fingernail appears to have fine cracks in the centre of the nail going accross the width.
I could see them but also ran my nail along her nail and could "feel" them.

This client is very good about oiling nails and always wears gloves for dishes etc. My worry is that the regular use of acetone has damaged her nails in some way? I really hope I am wrong and someone can give me advise on this. She also has white spots in the centre of 2 other nails which I know are caused my trauma to the nail. She does not remember doing anything which would have caused the cracks on the nail in question.

On this occassion I oiled her nails and applied a strenthening top coat to give some protection. I decided not to apply shellac this time as it would have to be removed with acetone on 2 weeks and as I am unsure what is causing this, I would rather be safe than sorry. She has booked in for shellac in 2 weeks so if it has not got any worse I am hoping I will be able to do this for her.

Anyone any advice?

Just to update you all. Had the above client back today and had hoped to be able to re-apply shellac. Unfortunately her nails are no better, some as actually worse. The white spots have gone so I presume this was dehydration. She does still have the "crack" on her index finger which I expected to see, it hasn't got worse and has grown up a bit. She now has horizontal splits on her ring and pinky nails, just below the free edge. I filed all nails right down and had to apply a little glue to the splits as they were too far down. We have agreed to wait another 2 weeks before attempting shellac. I gave her a file & polish and also a bottle of solar oil and advised her to oil twice a day.

She is really keen to have shellac again and has even started taking vitamins and cod liver oil as she feels this may help. The plan is to make sure all the "weak" parts of her nail have grown out and start again with shellac. I will of course be able to check her nails every 2 weeks to check for problems, it may mean that she is unable to wear shellac continually
I think she appreciates that I am not just re-applying and am concerned about her nail health. I may lose her as a shellac client but I would rather have this than to cause damage to her nails.

Don't know if this is of any help but since the weather has got colder my skin on my hands (& some other people too) has started to crack, that could also possibly be why the nails are splitting.

Going to bed with moisturiser on hands inside cotton gloves really helps hands & nails :)(even if you have taken them off during the night in your sleep:))

When I remove gel, I buff the surface, put cuticle oil all round the cuticle, side walls & under the nail before applying the acetone.HTH

I am really skepticle on the oil penetrating the gel and L&P
my thinking is that if they do the structure of the gel & l&P would have changed and also it will yellow as all these oil are yellow. and sure should cause lifting. You may see some thread that someone experience x brand of cuticle oil and her polish change color, that is when the oil and the varnish can melt into each other. If solar oil can penetrate my french nail my white would turn yellow. For L&P I do believe as without gel sealant some oil may be possible to penetrate the top layer that have holes , as yo use buffing cream to give it a shine the cream fill in the holes.

But regulary putting on solar oil will keep your cuticle soft and also nail around the cuticle moist, which in long term you will have better nail for your next rebalance, or shellac put on, therefore long term your manicure will be in better shape as your nail are in better shape.

small molecure oil do penetrate down the skin , mostly cold pressed , and lighter oil like jojoba , almond oil, grapeseed oil. Cheap cuticle oil are one that are made with petrolium or silicone based oil they do not penetrate the skin but stay on top and to keep moisture out.

using solar oil also hides small scratch on the top surface of the gel/polish making them look new al lthe time.

Not against any product, I use multiple brand of cuticle oil more than 2 times per day.

To answer the original question, Solar Oil use is extremely important in maintaining the health of the nails. An easy way to present its importance to your clients is this:

What is your hair made of?

What are your nails made of? (this is a great education opportunity if they don't know)

How often do you wash your hair without conditioning it?

How many times a day do you wash your hands?

How many times a day do you apply your Solar Oil.......so are you still surprised that your nails are so dry? Try stepping up your Solar Oil use to at least 2-3 times a day, it does penetrate the Shellac (polish, enhancements, etc.) and the more often you use it the more you get out of it.

If they are really dry they do need to massage it in just a bit not just swipe it on.

Here is a piece by Doug Schoon you may want for the salon or your nail notebook:
http://www.schoonscientific.com/dow...rticle-5-Forgotten-Properties-of-the-Nail.pdf

Be sure you catch Doug's Brain when it opens again, friend him on FB - Doug Schoon | Facebook

Also his book is a MUST have, he will sign it and ship anywhere when you order from him directly and all proceeds until January 2011 he is donating to breast cancer research :)
Nail Structure and Product Chemistry book and articles for Beauty, Cosmetic and Personal Care industry and product-related topics.

To add some science to the Oil info for now....
Oil and the natural nail-
Oils can't readily penetrate the nail cell as easily as water. It must travel out around the cell walls while water can slip through them. Oils increase the amount of moisture in the nail plate by slowing down the passage of water. They block and temporarily seal the moisture channels. Oils also slow down the water evaporation from the nail. The result is less brittle, more flexible nail plates. The oil needs a small or "carrier" molecule to penetrate; one example is Jojoba which is found in Solar Oil.

Oil and the enhancement-
Permeability is the ease in which a liquid moves through a porous substance. Water and certain oils can be absorbed into the nail plate due to permeability. Wraps, liquid and powder enhancements, and polish may also absorb certain oils which will increase their durability by plasticizing them. UV gels are less permeable, so the benefits are not as dramatic without regular and prolonged use of oils. Some oils are made of large and bulky molecules that can not easily penetrate. Enhancements with the proper mix ratio are adhered to the nails in different types of chemical bond and the oil travels from the enhancement to the natural nail through the bond as if the enhancement and the nail are one. Solar Oil can actually help prevent lifting as it will help plasticize the enhancement helping make it more flexible.

When I asked Doug about an oil alternative to the Jojoba in Solar Oil he mentioned Squalene. So check if your preferred oil contains either of those. If not please, please use Solar Oil with your Shellac!!

Hope this helps :D

Last edited:
To answer the original question, Solar Oil use is extremely important in maintaining the health of the nails. An easy way to present its importance to your clients is this:

What is your hair made of?

What are your nails made of? (this is a great education opportunity if they don't know)

How often do you wash your hair without conditioning it?

How many times a day do you wash your hands?

How many times a day do you apply your Solar Oil.......so are you still surprised that your nails are so dry? Try stepping up your Solar Oil use to at least 2-3 times a day, it does penetrate the Shellac (polish, enhancements, etc.) and the more often you use it the more you get out of it.

If they are really dry they do need to massage it in just a bit not just swipe it on.

Here is a piece by Doug Schoon you may want for the salon or your nail notebook:
http://www.schoonscientific.com/dow...rticle-5-Forgotten-Properties-of-the-Nail.pdf

Be sure you catch Doug's Brain when it opens again, friend him on FB - Doug Schoon | Facebook

Also his book is a MUST have, he will sign it and ship anywhere when you order from him directly and all proceeds until January 2011 he is donating to breast cancer research :)
Nail Structure and Product Chemistry book and articles for Beauty, Cosmetic and Personal Care industry and product-related topics.

To add some science to the Oil info for now....
Oil and the natural nail-
Oils can't readily penetrate the nail cell as easily as water. It must travel out around the cell walls while water can slip through them. Oils increase the amount of moisture in the nail plate by slowing down the passage of water. They block and temporarily seal the moisture channels. Oils also slow down the water evaporation from the nail. The result is less brittle, more flexible nail plates. The oil needs a small or "carrier" molecule to penetrate; one example is Jojoba which is found in Solar Oil.

Oil and the enhancement-
Permeability is the ease in which a liquid moves through a porous substance. Water and certain oils can be absorbed into the nail plate due to permeability. Wraps, liquid and powder enhancements, and polish may also absorb certain oils which will increase their durability by plasticizing them. UV gels are less permeable, so the benefits are not as dramatic without regular and prolonged use of oils. Some oils are made of large and bulky molecules that can not easily penetrate. Enhancements with the proper mix ratio are adhered to the nails in different types of chemical bond and the oil travels from the enhancement to the natural nail through the bond as if the enhancement and the nail are one. Solar Oil can actually help prevent lifting as it will help plasticize the enhancement helping make it more flexible.

When I asked Doug about an oil alternative to the Jojoba in Solar Oil he mentioned Squalene. So check if your preferred oil contains either of those. If not please, please use Solar Oil with your Shellac!!

Hope this helps :D

Holly! Fabulous as always. So understandable and helpful

Hello Nail perfection - maybe this can enlighten something for you.
You are not alone having this experience with Schellac and Gellish and simmilar gel systems. The problem is a syndrom (consisting of multiple causes).
We see it all the time now in our salon. In the beginning we never saw this but just a few months after Schellac came to our area it started. One customer came in with milky white surfaces and since I have been doing nails for 26 (imagine) years, this year I remember this syndrom from the mid 80's. Then the big thing was fiberglass. I also used it and did, like everybody else, applied it too thin. This was and is still part of the problem, the material was applied too thin. I know they tell you to apply it thinner - the base - but this is only worsening the problem. There is not enough support in the Schellac for the natural nail and it will flex and bend and "chew" the layers of the nail plate appart. This can look like cracks in the nail perpendiculat to the growth direction of the nail and/ or a milky white surface/ spots in the surface - just as we expereienced with fiberglass in the begining. As we found out - apply more and thicker and the problem was solved.
Apply acrylic too thin and experience the same syndrome. This has nothing to do with the length of the free edge, but the longer the more obvious.
The second part of the answer is the Aceton, as you suggested. Anyone using 99% acetone every twoo weeks on natural nails, will not have any problems - but if you use a gel - or anything that sticks to your nails surface - it will slowly but surley make the upper part of your nail plate (the Dorsal part of the nail) loosen slightly and this is where the Aceton will cause the 'Milky look'.
The gels today are flexing, and that is why gels today needs to be applied even thicker than the earlier gels. Since the gel is able to flex more than the natural nail underneath, the natural nail can crack without you beeing able to see it before the gel is removed - like the crack you even could feel.
NO OIL IN THE UNIVERSE CAN MEND THIS - this is a mechanical problem - a product limitation.
Your 'good customer' needs to learn that these gels are for fun, not for every-day-use.
Most nailtechs don't realise that there is more physics in a nail application than chemistry, but if you ask a chemist she/ he will be able to explain it according to her/ his background - only - the best answer you find by asking more prople, like you do here. Good luck in beeing able to sircle the problem all the way.
I hope I was able to take you a tab closer.

Last edited:
You are not alone having this experience with Schellac and Gellish and simmilar gel systems. The problem is a syndrom (consisting of multiple causes).
We see it all the time now in our salon. In the beginning we never saw this but just a few months after Schellac came to our area it started. One customer came in with milky white surfaces and since I have been doing nails for 26 (imagine) years, this year I remember this syndrom from the mid 80's. Then the big thing was fiberglass. I also used it and did like everybody else, applied it too thin. This is part of the problem, the material was and again is - too thin. I know they tell you to apply it thinner - the base - but this is only making the problem even worse. There is not enough support in the Schellac for the natural nail and it will flex and bend and "chew" the layers of the nail plate appart. This can look like cracks in the nail perpendiculat to the growth direction of the nail and/ or a milky white surface/ spots in the surface - just as we expereienced with fiberglass in the begining. As we found out - apply more and thicker and the problem was olved. This has nothing to do with the length of the free edge, but the longer the more obvious. The second part of the answer is the Aceton, as you suggest yourself. Anyone using 99% acetone every twoo weeks on natural nails, will not have any problems - but if you use a gel - or anything that sticks to you nails surface it will slowly but surley make the upper part of your nail plate (the Dorsal part of the nail) loosen slightly and this is where the Aceton will cause the Milky look.
The gels today are flexing, and that is why gels today needs to be sppied thicker than the earlier gels. Since the gel able to flex more than the natural nail underneath, the natural nail can crack without you beeing able to see it before the gel is removed.

I can't agree with a word of what has been written above ... sorry and there no logic to substantiate what you say nor the evidence to substantiate what you say..

I have been wearing Shellac for a year .. no white surface.

The only time I saw a few patches on myself were at the very beginning of my wearing Shellac when I applied it over nails that had just been uncovered after 25 years of wearing enhancements and the surface was obviously more porous at that time then it is now. Now, the surface is completely normal.

The brief 10 minutes when my SHELLAC, not my nail plate, is in contact with Acetone doesn't affect my nails in the slightest and they don't look white or milky, even my skin does not go white in that brief time in the wraps.

There is no need to 'open' or buff the surface of the nail plate before applying Shellac BUT I do believe that many are STILL doing just that despite the instructions from CND to the contrary (they just can't seem to help themselves they are so used to doing it with enhancements) and I also believe that this is having some bearing on what is happening to the surface if white patches are present.

Completely contrary to the information in the above post .... It is a good thing for products to be able to flex with the natural nail plate ... it means they can move in unison without causing any damage or 'chewing' up the nail plate. Where the problems arise is when an overlay is not flexible and the nail plate is, and this is where a conflict between the two surfaces can cause one to pull away from the other, thus tearing up the surface at the stress area and causing lifting at the sides or eponychium. Makes perfect and logical sense, which anyone can understand.

I will finish by saying that in our salon we do not see what you have described 'all the time' and only on some clients who have just had enhancements removed It only takes about 6 weeks, or 2 Shellac treatments, before we see any dry patches growing out as the new nail plate comes through .. we NEVER buff the surface of the natural nail before applying Shellac and I believe this is the difference, plus every client has and uses (under threat of death if they don't, :lol:) Solar Oil daily as per CND aftercare instructions. It always helps when clients follow instructions.

Last edited:
We see it all the time now in our salon. In the beginning we never saw this but just a few months after Schellac came to our area it started. One customer came in with milky white surfaces and since I have been doing nails for 26 (imagine) years, this year I remember this syndrom from the mid 80's. Then the big thing was fiberglass. I also used it and did, like everybody else, applied it too thin. This was and is still part of the problem, the material was applied too thin. I know they tell you to apply it thinner - the base - but this is only worsening the problem. There is not enough support in the Schellac for the natural nail and it will flex and bend and "chew" the layers of the nail plate appart. This can look like cracks in the nail perpendiculat to the growth direction of the nail and/ or a milky white surface/ spots in the surface - justas we expereienced with fiberglass in the begining. As we found out - apply more and thicker and the problem was solved.
Apply acrylic too thin and experience the same syndrome. This has nothing to do with the length of the free edge, but the longer the more obvious.
The second part of the answer is the Aceton, as you suggested. Anyone using 99% acetone every twoo weeks on natural nails, will not have any problems - but if you use a gel - or anything that sticks to your nails surface - it will slowly but surley make the upper part of your nail plate (the Dorsal part of the nail) loosen slightly and this is where the Aceton will cause the 'Milky look'.
The gels today are flexing, and that is why gels today needs to be applied even thicker than the earlier gels. Since the gel is able to flex more than the natural nail underneath, the natural nail can crack without you beeing able to see it before the gel is removed - like the crack you even could feel.
NO OIL IN THE UNIVERSE CAN MEND THIS - this is a mechanical problem product limitation.
Your 'good customer' needs to learn that these gels are for fun, not for every-day-use.
Most nailtechs don't realise that there is more physics in a nail application than chemistry, but if you ask a chemist she/ he will be able to explain it according to her/ his background - only - the best answer you find by asking more prople, like you do here. Good luck in beeing able to sircle the problem all the way
I hope I was able to take you a tab closer.

I'm sorry but oil can penetrate and help a good penetrating oil. And your explanation about apply thicker does not make sense , how can the gel chew the nail plate as you say?? Can you please explain further and where are you getting this information ? Or is this just your theory??

I am really skepticle on the oil penetrating the gel and L&P
my thinking is that if they do the structure of the gel & l&P would have changed and also it will yellow as all these oil are yellow. and sure should cause lifting. You may see some thread that someone experience x brand of cuticle oil and her polish change color, that is when the oil and the varnish can melt into each other. If solar oil can penetrate my french nail my white would turn yellow. For L&P I do believe as without gel sealant some oil may be possible to penetrate the top layer that have holes , as yo use buffing cream to give it a shine the cream fill in the holes.

But regulary putting on solar oil will keep your cuticle soft and also nail around the cuticle moist, which in long term you will have better nail for your next rebalance, or shellac put on, therefore long term your manicure will be in better shape as your nail are in better shape.

small molecure oil do penetrate down the skin , mostly cold pressed , and lighter oil like jojoba , almond oil, grapeseed oil. Cheap cuticle oil are one that are made with petrolium or silicone based oil they do not penetrate the skin but stay on top and to keep moisture out.

using solar oil also hides small scratch on the top surface of the gel/polish making them look new al lthe time.

Not against any product, I use multiple brand of cuticle oil more than 2 times per day.

You are only skeptical because you do not have enough information regarding the 'structure' of soak off gels and/or Shellac.

Shellac is full of channels that run through it and it is these small channels that the oil reptates through to the natural nail which also has millions of caverns and channels that the oil also runs into. The oil therefore does not change anything structurally nor does it yellow either the nails or the Shellac.

I have used Solar Oil daily (for about 25 years) along with countless thousands of other women and have never had my nails or the products I wear yellow, whether it is a bright White French manicure polish or a clean buffed enhancement or just my natural nails.

Using SolarOil daily does not ever cause lifting as it does not seep between the product and the nail plate, but only into the channels that are already there and a part of the make of of both the product and the nail plate. On the contrary, regular use of Solar Oil in fact stops lifting as it keeps the enhancement and product flexible, which in turn allows it to move in unison with the movement of the nail plate instead of the product becoming hard and brittle and working in oposition to the nail plate.

Last edited:
I dont get it?
Why would you be using Shellac, but not using d.sperse,CND removal wraps and advising solar oil?

to save a few quid?

in the long run your client will start getting solar oil from you,and recommending you to friends etc.........

therefore making quite alot more money?

I dont hink there was a need for any of this thread, just use the recomended products,and get on with it.Buy cheap, you buy twice.....

And as for Katiebbaby, maybe she wasnt coming across as she was trying to, but she was just trying to help.She is a regular poster on s.g, and is always very helpful. JuicyLucy, if you werent getting the answer from katiebbaby, just leave it there until someone else posts, you were just goad her,and trying to make her look stupid,if youre put off from posting on this site, as you said, then dont.

How anyone dares to question Geeg`s knowledge i just dont know?....

I dont get it?
Why would you be using Shellac, but not using d.sperse,CND removal wraps and advising solar oil?

to save a few quid?

in the long run your client will start getting solar oil from you,and recommending you to friends etc.........

therefore making quite alot more money?

I dont hink there was a need for any of this thread, just use the recomended products,and get on with it.Buy cheap, you buy twice.....

And as for Katiebbaby, maybe she wasnt coming across as she was trying to, but she was just trying to help.She is a regular poster on s.g, and is always very helpful. JuicyLucy, if you werent getting the answer from katiebbaby, just leave it there until someone else posts, you were just goad her,and trying to make her look stupid,if youre put off from posting on this site, as you said, then dont.

How anyone dares to question Geeg`s knowledge i just dont know?....

I think you are being a bit harsh by saying "there was no need for this thread".

I have been a member of salon geek for many years and am perfectly entitled to ask for advice, isn't this what the site is for? As you can see from the many people who have viewed and contributed to this thread, it has proved to be very educational. I for one have learned a lot and thankfully I have not been discouraged from asking for advice in the future. Lets hope some of the newbies are not intimidated by your response.

I think you are being a bit harsh by saying "there was no need for this thread".

I have been a member of salon geek for many years and am perfectly entitled to ask for advice, isn't this what the site is for? As you can see from the many people who have viewed and contributed to this thread, it has proved to be very educational. I for one have learned a lot and thankfully I have not been discouraged from asking for advice in the future. Lets hope some of the newbies are not intimidated by your response.
Sharon, i aploagise, i didnt mean theres no need for this thread, i meant theres no need for how the thread was carried on.Your entitled to ask anything you like, as is anyone else.
Kate x

I just want to make a point re Scrubfresh - it temporarily dehydrates the nail plate prior to applying your product, as opposed to dehydrating in the same way as acetone does. The quality of the remover used can make a massive difference to the effect on the nails. Using professional acetone that is buffered (or specifically d.solve) on remover pads is the best way and the recommended way.
Once you start to do things that aren't recommended then you will see results that are different to those expected!

My Shellac clients have been having it applied regularly every 2-3 weeks since the launch in May, none have any of the issues mentioned in this thread apart from one client who has MS, her health and medications have a lot to do with how her nails are (the same as how it affects her hair/skin etc), remember to take the clients health into consideration too :)

I'm sorry but oil can penetrate and help a good penetrating oil. And your explanation about apply thicker does not make sense , how can the gel chew the nail plate as you say?? Can you please explain further and where are you getting this information ? Or is this just your theory??
As much as you want the oil to heal a broken/ damaged nail - proove that it will penetrate the material, nail polis/varnish, acrylic or gel - an mend a broken/ cracked nail - impossible.

I can't agree with a word of what has been written above ... sorry and there no logic to substantiate what you say nor the evidence to substantiate what you say..

I have been wearing Shellac for a year .. no white surface.

The only time I saw a few patches on myself were at the very beginning of my wearing Shellac when I applied it over nails that had just been uncovered after 25 years of wearing enhancements and the surface was obviously more porous at that time then it is now. Now, the surface is completely normal.

The brief 10 minutes when my SHELLAC, not my nail plate, is in contact with Acetone doesn't affect my nails in the slightest and they don't look white or milky, even my skin does not go white in that brief time in the wraps.

There is no need to 'open' or buff the surface of the nail plate before applying Shellac BUT I do believe that many are STILL doing just that despite the instructions from CND to the contrary (they just can't seem to help themselves they are so used to doing it with enhancements) and I also believe that this is having some bearing on what is happening to the surface if white patches are present.

Completely contrary to the information in the above post .... It is a good thing for products to be able to flex with the natural nail plate ... it means they can move in unison without causing any damage or 'chewing' up the nail plate. Where the problems arise is when an overlay is not flexible and the nail plate is, and this is where a conflict between the two surfaces can cause one to pull away from the other, thus tearing up the surface at the stress area and causing lifting at the sides or eponychium. Makes perfect and logical sense, which anyone can understand.

I will finish by saying that in our salon we do not see what you have described 'all the time' and only on some clients who have just had enhancements removed It only takes about 6 weeks, or 2 Shellac treatments, before we see any dry patches growing out as the new nail plate comes through .. we NEVER buff the surface of the natural nail before applying Shellac and I believe this is the difference, plus every client has and uses (under threat of death if they don't, :lol:) Solar Oil daily as per CND aftercare instructions. It always helps when clients follow instructions.
- You have not been wearing it for a year .... just to make things straight - Shellac was introdused in the beginning of May 2010 - aproximately 7 months.
Noone talked about openin up the suface of the natural nail, before you did, and CND recomends NO BUFFING (not only you) of the surface of the natural nail before the application of Shellac.
In your own statment here you describe and agree that you have seen the damaged surface yourself, both on clients and your own nails, the very same damage we now see in our salon, also.
If our customers give us a reason for the damage we have to listen to that reason. That was the original question here also. We are aware of this also, and have seen this for some time now, and then when others also make the same quetsion - maybe there is more to this than you and I can see at this point? - maybe.

To the prev poster I would assume gigi was wearing shellac before it was launched to the public, as I would assume also that is how she has seen the new colours which are not accessible to us yet.

This is "JUST MY THEORY" after having done nails for 26 years in a few days, traveled "the world" with nails and held lectures about this topic in 36 countries. I know a few things about the physics of the nail structure and how to prevent the damage of the surface of the natural nail from acrylics and gels - all types.
Here is an interesting task for you to test:
Make a few nails as you usualy do, and make some twice as thick. Try it - weare it for 3 weeks - remove them with acetone and you will discover and gain experience your future customers truly will appreciate.

As much as you want the oil to heal a broken/ damaged nail - proove that it will penetrate the material, nail polis/varnish, acrylic or gel - an mend a broken/ cracked nail - impossible.

No one has claimed oil would MEND a broken nail. Of course it can't. But if used regularly even with enhanced or polished nails, the right kind of oil WILL help to prevent damage occurring in the first place by keeping products flexible and therefore less prone to breaking, lifting and more compatible with the flexibility of the natural nail plate.

As I remember it, it is you yourself that was making claims that oil cannot penetrate to the natural nail.

As I made clear in my post, CND recommend NO buffing of the natural nail. (problem in translation I think)

As for my wearing Shellac for a year ... I have. As everyone knows, I have access to products to test from CND and have done so for many years. I actually started to use Shellac before the launch of the product so your comments look a little silly now don't they? So let's you get a few things straight :lol: don't make statements like you have without getting a little background info first.

I think there is a language problem here.

I am not dismissing the fact that some clients may have dry patches. It could be due to damaged or thin nail plates; it could be due to having soft nail plates or the type of plate that has loose bonds of the nail plate layers; it could be due to not using Solar Oil regularly, it could be due to technicians buffing the surface when they should not be; it could age related ... Whichever is the cause, the fact that the surface of the nails may become a little dehydrated is an easily overcome issue. I've even seen continuous wear of ordinary nail polish dehydrate and discolour the surface of natural nails. Bleach dehydrates my hair but I can overcome it with conditioner. Clients can counteract dryness by using Solar Oil.

Last edited:
no thankyou as my clients do not like the look of thick enhancments yuk. It would take forever to rebalance and total waste of product .

If you are a figure in the nail industry then surely you would know this, please enlighten us whom do you lecture for?? What qualifications do you have? Whom do you teach for?

Latest posts

Back