Worried about possible acetone damage on client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is "JUST MY THEORY" after having done nails for 26 years in a few days, traveled "the world" with nails and held lectures about this topic in 36 countries. I know a few things about the physics of the nail structure and how to prevent the damage of the surface of the natural nail from acrylics and gels - all types.
Here is an interesting task for you to test:
Make a few nails as you usualy do, and make some twice as thick. Try it - weare it for 3 weeks - remove them with acetone and you will discover and gain experience your future customers truly will appreciate.

Anyone knows that your trials with ultra thick acrylic would result in the thicker layer taking the impact and in some measure giving some protection because of it absorbing the impact, just because it would be so much harder and thicker than the natural nail.

However toughness is better than hardness for absorbing impact and strength plus flexibility is what the natural nail needs to avoid being damaged.

I think your experiment proves nothing other than at some stage, the product would be so thick and hard that the natural nail couldn't support it and would give way in a painful manner. Using your theory, we'd all be using MMA!

It has been tested and proved that the thinner, and lighter the product and the more like the natural nail it is in structure, the better it is for the nail; this is what CND have been working towards for years and with huge success, because thinner lighter acrylics work better, last longer and are a healthier safer option for natural nails and even healthier when Solar oil is used along with them.

If you are a well known and famous figure in the nail industry, why not post your name and your credentials in your profile?

Last edited:
Sharon, i aploagise, i didnt mean theres no need for this thread, i meant theres no need for how the thread was carried on.Your entitled to ask anything you like, as is anyone else.
Kate x
Thank you Kate.

Have to say I am enjoying this thread and learning lots. :)

This is "JUST MY THEORY" after having done nails for 26 years in a few days, traveled "the world" with nails and held lectures about this topic in 36 countries. I know a few things about the physics of the nail structure and how to prevent the damage of the surface of the natural nail from acrylics and gels - all types.
Here is an interesting task for you to test:
Make a few nails as you usualy do, and make some twice as thick. Try it - weare it for 3 weeks - remove them with acetone and you will discover and gain experience your future customers truly will appreciate.

Having watched this thread for a while I have decided to put in my own comments.

Nails, you make a point of mentioning your experience and 'travelling the world' but you don't see fit to put who you are and exactly what your experience is! Why should any reader of this thread accept what you say without this knowledge or any evidence to support what you are stating? My credentials are known (and briefly in my profile) as are Gigi's.

To add to my 'credentials' I have been wearing Shellac, almost non stop, since the end of March as I helped to launch it to the British beauty press. Gigi had it a lot longer than that.

My comments:
-one of the points you seem to be failing to see is that Shellac is a brand new category of product. This will generate several different results when worn by different clients all with a variety of nail conditions. Unfortunately, not all nail technicians have sufficient understanding of nail structure, the chemistry of the products or the effect of the various products on the natural nail. The queries and problems that are evident in this forum demonstrate this and the sharing of experiences and a variety of answers and solutions are to be expected and show the value of The Nail Geek.

-EVERY product will have some effect on the natural nail, even nail polish and frequent removal.

-It is patently clear that molecules of a certain size WILL penetrate Shellac. This is seen during removal when acetone penetrates it and breaks the bonds attaching to the nail plate and in producing flakes of the material. Therefore. oils of an appropriate size can penetrate.

-The same can be said of many overlay systems. You must be aware of the physical structure of many of them to understand how this can occur? It is the continuous use of oils that make a difference as they will slowly penetrate the voids within the structure. the only exception are the 'buff off' gels for obvious reasons!

-I will always believe the information provided by Doug Schoon as he always supports it with irrefutable evidence. If you have looked at his website you will see electronmicrograph images of a nail plate where it is clear to see the voids and channels where the appropriate oil can penetrate and provide 'lubrication' while protecting it from damaging water invasion.

- I can understand that a thin and flexible coating on a nail plate will exert different forces on the upper layers. However, this is what is being experienced and all will depend on the surface (i.e. nail plate). Understanding will help technicians solve any problem that may arise.

-The starting point for any technician is to follow manufacturers instructions implicitly. Those with sufficient knowledge may be able to adapt those instructions to suit various circumstances but most should follow them as this will be the most suitable for most circumstances.

-It doesn't help the situation when an unknown and anonymous person disagrees with these instructions with statements that have no evidential support.

You are talking about what you have seen in your salon. You are making statements without any evidence of either your credentials to be in a position to make them. I could go on but this post is now far too long already!

Very interesting.

Is it possible to water down and oil down acetone for removal of gel and acrylic nail extensions?

How many parts of water to acetone and also oil to acetone?

Thank you

Very interesting.

Is it possible to water down and oil down acetone for removal of gel and acrylic nail extensions?

How many parts of water to acetone and also oil to acetone?

Thank you

I have never oiled Acetone down or watered it down but I do use only professional quality Acetone made to be used on people and buffered to minimize the drying effects.

You can also if you wish, massage some Solar Oil onto the fingers to act a s a barrier but I really don't do this either ... these days I use Magis wraps for removal which focus the Acetone on the enhancment product for removal and I use CND wraps for Shellac as I like the tightness of them and the professional look of them.

I only use D.Solve now for removal .. it is very fast acting and I dont see the fingers turning white and the exposure in wraps to the skin is minimal.

I believe completely, as Doug schoon states, that Acetone is one of the safest chemicals we use if you use professional quality (Some people buy industrial acetone from the hardware store and think it is the same .. it is not); Ive seen many nail techs on forums tell others that this is perfectly OK to do! Really it is not and it is not the same thing.

I think you are being deliberately wound up, for what reason I know not, but I would not be surprised if this Geek does not answer on this thread again...kx

I think you are being deliberately wound up, for what reason I know not, but I would not be surprised if this Geek does not answer on this thread again...kx

I really think this thread aught to be closed now?

Ha ha me too,, something not quite right xxx

this thread has certainly made some interesting reading,so much so that it made me go and check the ingredients of my cuticle oil :lol: and i was happy to find that in amongst the other ingredients jojoba oil was there so does that mean my oil does actually do something as its got the "carrier" ?

this thread has certainly made some interesting reading,so much so that it made me go and check the ingredients of my cuticle oil :lol: and i was happy to find that in amongst the other ingredients jojoba oil was there so does that mean my oil does actually do something as its got the "carrier" ?
Not really! Lol

Hi everyone, me too i want to share my experience with all new brands gel polishes.
I thought its only me.... Almost all my clients after removing it i see that their nails are starting to peel? separate? the free edge and some nails are with white spots.
I dont know if its only me again but it looks same when i polish for long time the nails of the feet and they are starting to appear a lot of white spots and also starting to chip off and separate, i think i noticed this fact (but really not sure) when the polish is not removing often..

May be its only me.. may be i do something wrong..
I apologize for my English!

Hi everyone, me too i want to share my experience with all new brands gel polishes.
I thought its only me.... Almost all my clients after removing it i see that their nails are starting to peel? separate? the free edge and some nails are with white spots.
I dont know if its only me again but it looks same when i polish for long time the nails of the feet and they are starting to appear a lot of white spots and also starting to chip off and separate, i think i noticed this fact (but really not sure) when the polish is not removing often..

May be its only me.. may be i do something wrong..
I apologize for my English!

I think both nail techs and clients are pushing these services for far too long.

CND say Shellac is a 2 week manicure ... Clients and techs push it to 4

Minx say two weeks ... Clients push it up to 5 and 6 weeks and techs brag about it.

Same with gel polishes .. Manufacturers say 2 weeks and techs are promising more.

If everyone followed the manufacturers guidelines then we, in my opinion, would be seeing less dehydration.

I re-Shellac my nails every 2 weeks pretty faithfully and have no dehydration at all on the surface of my nails ... Neither are they brittle once removed.

Maybe we as the professionals should be getting tougher with our clients re maintenance or at least warn clients of the consequences ... Then it is up to them what they do to their own nails.

Your English is fine .. Understood you perfectly. Happy new year! X

I will remove her top coat with acetone free remover and it will be a quick wipe rather than 10 mins so this should limit the contact with acetone for 4 weeks. Thanks for the advice.
Even if Doug Schoon recomends it - be aware that Acetone and oil does not mix.
The oil will sink to the bottom of the Acetone as will be the case here since you are using Acetone to remove.
Since the oil sinks to the bottom of the Acetone and you put your nails to the bottom of the Acetone, then you will put your nails into oil and the result will be - you need to stay longer in the Acetone .......
Test to proove that Acetone and oil does not mix:
- take a small glass jar - put Acetone in and then oil and look:!:
Acetone free polish remover conntains Acetone. The WHO (World Health Organisation) made a desition in about 1983 that polish remover with less than 35% Acetone can be labeles Acetone-free and be called Non-Acerone polish remover.
It contains Acetate and Ketone. The MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) based polish removers are NOT better in your working envirinment compared to Acetone.

Last edited:
Even if Doug Schoon recomends it - be aware that Acetone and oil does not mix.
The oil will sink to the bottom of the Acetone as will be the case here since you are using Acetone to remove.
Since the oil sinks to the bottom of the Acetone and you put your nails to the bottom of the Acetone, then you will put your nails into oil and the result will be - you need to stay longer in the Acetone .......
Test to proove that Acetone and oil does not mix:
- take a small glass jar - put Acetone in and then oil and look:!:
Acetone free polish remover conntains Acetone. The WHO (World Health Organisation) made a desition in about 1983 that polish remover with less than 35% Acetone can be labeles Acetone-free og be called Non-Acerone polish remover.
It contains Acetate and Ketone. The EMK (Ethyl Methyl Ketone) based polish removers are NOT better in your working envirinment compared to Acetone.

I have to say I have been using acetone with oil added for a few weeks now. It works perfectly well and does not give the "white" dry marks around the skin. I do not however "soak" the nails as this is not the recommended way. I soak a small amount on a cotton pad and wrap around finger using foil. When I remember I shake my acetone/oil mix before use but can honestly say that it has not caused any problems at all.

Thanks for your input though.

I have to say I have been using acetone with oil added for a few weeks now. It works perfectly well and does not give the "white" dry marks around the skin. I do not however "soak" the nails as this is not the recommended way. I soak a small amount on a cotton pad and wrap around finger using foil. When I remember I shake my acetone/oil mix before use but can honestly say that it has not caused any problems at all.

Thanks for your input though.

Then Acetone and oil works fine.
This becomes a problem when you put aceton ein a small cup and then oil (not possible to shake), and then soak, so just for you, and the others to know.:idea:

Having watched this thread for a while I have decided to put in my own comments.

Nails, you make a point of mentioning your experience and 'travelling the world' but you don't see fit to put who you are and exactly what your experience is! Why should any reader of this thread accept what you say without this knowledge or any evidence to support what you are stating? My credentials are known (and briefly in my profile) as are Gigi's.
I will give you test to do, if you bother to test it, you will see that I know what I'm talking about.
For now I will remain NN.

To add to my 'credentials' I have been wearing Shellac, almost non stop, since the end of March as I helped to launch it to the British beauty press. Gigi had it a lot longer than that.
Good for you.

My comments:
-one of the points you seem to be failing to see is that Shellac is a brand new category of product. This will generate several different results when worn by different clients all with a variety of nail conditions. Unfortunately, not all nail technicians have sufficient understanding of nail structure, the chemistry of the products or the effect of the various products on the natural nail. The queries and problems that are evident in this forum demonstrate this and the sharing of experiences and a variety of answers and solutions are to be expected and show the value of The Nail Geek.
I could not agree more, you are absolutely right, and that is whay it is not important who I am, but just test what I ask you to test and you will see.

-EVERY product will have some effect on the natural nail, even nail polish and frequent removal.
Yes, of course.

It is patently clear that molecules of a certain size WILL penetrate Shellac. This is seen during removal when acetone penetrates it and breaks the bonds attaching to the nail plate and in producing flakes of the material. Therefore. oils of an appropriate size can penetrate.
Well, let's hear what others think about this.
An oil like a nail oil that is based on among other oils, Sesame oil will not be able to penterate an artificial nail, nor nail polish. Never.
But you are right it can penetrate the natural nail, of course.

-The same can be said of many overlay systems. You must be aware of
the physical structure of many of them to understand how this can occur?
And you are aware of that on most of them .... ?
I have comments about this, but for later.

It is the continuous use of oils that make a difference as they will slowly penetrate the voids within the structure. the only exception are the 'buff off' gels for obvious reasons!
- as long as we talk about the voids of the natural nail, then TRUE.

-I will always believe the information provided by Doug Schoon as he always supports it with irrefutable evidence. If you have looked at his website you will see electronmicrograph images of a nail plate where it is clear to see the voids and channels where the appropriate oil can penetrate and provide 'lubrication' while protecting it from damaging water invasion.
Now we are talking for that is the natural nail!!!!!!
- and I could not agree more - extremly nice pictures, I know.

- I can understand that a thin and flexible coating on a nail plate will exert different forces on the upper layers. However, this is what is being experienced and all will depend on the surface (i.e. nail plate). Understanding will help technicians solve any problem that may arise.

This is where naildesigners need to talk to their customers and learn from them, what is strong enough and what is not.- lear to listen to their customers.

-The starting point for any technician is to follow manufacturers instructions implicitly. Those with sufficient knowledge may be able to adapt those instructions to suit various circumstances but most should follow them as this will be the most suitable for most circumstances.
Absolutely.

-It doesn't help the situation when an unknown and anonymous person disagrees with these instructions with statements that have no evidential support.
- so you know it all ....!
No evidential support? Do you have any evidential support? No.
You don't even know who you are talking to but you claim I have no knowledge.

You refer to D.S. but ..... your statments ar just as up in the air as mine, for now.

You are talking about what you have seen in your salon. You are making statements without any evidence of either your credentials to be in a position to make them. I could go on but this post is now far too long already!

I have been teaching, traveling the 'nail world' and seen and heard the problems time and again, and it has turned worse over the last years and that is why I have to start to say something to people like you.

Last edited:
I am really skepticle on the oil penetrating the gel and L&P
my thinking is that if they do the structure of the gel & l&P would have changed and also it will yellow as all these oil are yellow. and sure should cause lifting. You may see some thread that someone experience x brand of cuticle oil and her polish change color, that is when the oil and the varnish can melt into each other. If solar oil can penetrate my french nail my white would turn yellow. For L&P I do believe as without gel sealant some oil may be possible to penetrate the top layer that have holes , as yo use buffing cream to give it a shine the cream fill in the holes.

But regulary putting on solar oil will keep your cuticle soft and also nail around the cuticle moist, which in long term you will have better nail for your next rebalance, or shellac put on, therefore long term your manicure will be in better shape as your nail are in better shape.

small molecure oil do penetrate down the skin , mostly cold pressed , and lighter oil like jojoba , almond oil, grapeseed oil. Cheap cuticle oil are one that are made with petrolium or silicone based oil they do not penetrate the skin but stay on top and to keep moisture out.

using solar oil also hides small scratch on the top surface of the gel/polish making them look new al lthe time.

Not against any product, I use multiple brand of cuticle oil more than 2 times per day.
Here we are talking.
You are certainly well grounded.
Common knowledge helpes for naildesigners also.:!:

Latest posts

Back