Would you see a guy for waxing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzyo

Reaction score
With the new house is going to come a gorgeous new treatment room. Just working out decor and flooring at the moment.

And this is the start of my really taking my practice up a notch or several I hope. I want to expand my treatments, build a much bigger clientelle and offer a few more core treatments. Plan is to expand to offer Environ, Shellac and CACI in a Private Practice environment and the benefits of that.

But before I start investing in some serious products and training (Environ and Shellac not far off four figure investments each) I need some more clients, and importantly I need some ladies!!

So, I'm going to try something rather new. There aren't that many guys who wax, and there are even few (if any) who actively market themselves to ladies.

Now I know many of you ladies offer waxing for men and that is generally accepted ... but what about the other way around?

Would you see a man for waxing? I'll be offering everything upto a Bikini line (so no brazilians and hollywoods - that would scare me too much).

I fully expect a lot of women wouldn't want to come to me. But I figure if I can convince enough ... I could hopefully from them build up some excellent word of mouth referrals. My guys really don't like to talk to other men about their skincare treatments!

To start things off I am planning on offering a free underarm wax for WAGS of existing clients, come with their bf, husband, hagfag, best friend. See them get waxed and then find out why PR non-strip is really so good!

Am I clutching at straws or do you think there could be something in it?

Mat

I think it could work. I don't see how anybody could resist the free underarm waxing, and once you've got them in the door and they see that your service is great and trust you, I don't see why they wouldn't come back?

I personally wouldn't be at all bothered by a male. Any initial terror at "oh my god, it's a man" would very quickly give way to "... and he sees this all the time, it's his job," so I wouldn't feel any more embarrassed or ashamed!

oh yeah, and you mentioned coming along and watching their partner get waxed first... what woman WOULDN'T want that?! I'd buy 20 sessions from you right now if it meant I could see my boyfriend get waxed... just once...

I think your freebie idea and word of mouth will get you some ladies in. I have to admit, if I randomly rang a salon/mobile and realised it would be a man doing it I doubt I'd go ahead - but if a friend recommended a male waxer to me I'd definitely give it a go! You'll bring in new clients through Shellac etc anyway, so once they're in the door I'm sure they wouldn't mind the thought of you waxing them too. Guess there'll always be some who would though - like people who don't like seeing male doctors maybe?

Good luck! x

Fag hag dahling.

I think your female clientele would grow organically even if you didn't market specifically to females. But I also totally understand you wishing to market, due to the investment into facial and nail products.

Martin would surely be a good person to speak to? I get the impression the majority of his clients are female.

There is a guy who lives near to me (fairly sure he's not a geek) who does massage, spray tanning and waxing and he says the majority of his clients are female. (And to be honest, most of us would probably want to be tanned wearing very little - almost certainly without a top on, whereas if we were having a half leg wax we would possibly keep all our clothes on and just pull our trousers above the knee.)

I think it's about how relaxed the therapist makes us feel. I mean, I met this guy, we got on, I would not have had any qualms about having treatments from him.

And you definitely wouldn't have any probs getting ladies to come to you for nails!

I wouldnt have a problem with it - especially if you came recommended.
I think instead of free perhaps you could offer a buy one get one half price to get people in the door though? Otherwise you may be flooded with people who just come for the freebie and never come back, and if they are friends etc of existing clients they (the existing clients) may feel uncomfortable about it...You also dont want them to think you've jsut started waxing - you want them to know you are experienced but are just expanding???
Just my opinion though!

Martin would surely be a good person to speak to? I get the impression the majority of his clients are female.
!

It's true - my client base is nearly exclusively female! I've only had one woman in 13 years who didn't want me to wax her, but this made no difference to me as generally speaking I have 3 week waiting list for appointments anyway!

I don't really advertise anymore, and found that most of my clients come by word of mouth, so know they're getting me anyway. However, I wax a mother (in her 50's) & her daughter (in her 20's) and the daughter's boyfriend asked if they were embarassed by me waxing them, to which they said they get more embarrassed undressing in front of young girls all dolled up to the nines, whereas they say they don't worry with me. I think it's all a case of personality & how comfortable you make them feel.

Sounds like a great idea, especially with the non strip - although regarding underarm waxing, when I owned my salon I only ever had about 3 people in for an underarm wax!! Crazy I know, but I never found it a popular treatment at all. For me personally, a free eyebrow shape would be more iniviting. I do see what you're doing with the non-strip but I'd say choose a treatment a few more women might jump at the chance for maybe??

I had a male mid-wife so believe me waxing by a male would really not be a problem :lol: I would probably just enjoy the experience - similar to a male hairdresser (happily married but nothing nicer than a male stranger running his fingers through your hair lol << ok maybe just a bit naughty!!).

I also think these days people have moved on and the man/ woman thing has moved on so only a few have issues!

Good luck and enjoy the decorating/ interior designing of the new house x

For me if someone offered me a free underarm wax I wouldnt so much take them up on it. Eyebrow or half leg then yes
I wouldnt have a problem going to a male anyway!
When I go to the local mac counter theres a male who works there and I only really talk to him and ask him about colors etc. I think he is fab and see's things in a different way than what a woman does!

Sounds like a great idea, especially with the non strip - although regarding underarm waxing, when I owned my salon I only ever had about 3 people in for an underarm wax!! Crazy I know, but I never found it a popular treatment at all. For me personally, a free eyebrow shape would be more iniviting. I do see what you're doing with the non-strip but I'd say choose a treatment a few more women might jump at the chance for maybe??

I agree with this... underarm is not that popular but brow shapes are very popular.

Hard wax really comes into it's own for bikini line so maybe you could give those away? Although I also agree with Sarzy about freebies generally.

Maybe if they book for a half leg you could wow them with a free bikini wax. Or give them a choice. I personally think it would be better to tag a free treatment on to a paid one.

I also predict that you will be doing female brazilians at some point in the future even if it's 5 years off! Regulars will come to ask for it...

I'd have no problem with being waxed by a man, providing the service was good.

Good luck with your new venture!

I wouldn't have a problem going to a man for waxing if I'd met him for other treatments first. It's not that I'm shy or anything, I've had 7 children and a lot of birth witnesses, plus working in a hospital and honestly the human body in all it's glory is not an issue for me.

However, I find my OWN hairy legs/bikini line incredibly embarrassing. That said, I'd still go to a man, put I'd probably book in for nails or some other treatment first so I could see if I would be comfortable and how we "got on". If that makes sense?

Actually the more I think about it, I think I'd probably prefer to get my legs waxed by a man. I always feel horribly self-conscious in front of skinny, gorgeous women. I don't think I'd have that problem with a man. If only you lived a bit closer! LOL

Oh, and personally I agree with the others. Do a special opening offer of some sort - such as a free bikini when they have a half leg, or free eyebrows with full leg & bikini.

It may be slower than just offering the freebie alone but at least you get something out of it and you know the people coming to you are serious. I don't know about others, but I find that waxing clients are generally quite loyal and regular. Once they've found someone they like, they keep going back.

Quick reply (on phone) ... Thanks for all the positive and helpful comments. Will reply to points when on pc.

Mat xx

Of course I'd go to a man for waxing, wouldn't have any problem with it at all, even having a hollywood. As long as my key requirements were met (thorough job done, hygiene standards adhered to, and loads of gossip given) I wouldn't have a problem!

i would definatly come to a man for my waxing. it doesn't matter to me wheather my therapist is male or female. if they can do a fab job, then that is good enough for me! good luck xx

Hi Matt

I have a number of ladies that come to me for their waxing, as a direct result of me waxing their boyfriends/husbands/friends etc.

It did surprise me at first, and came about as a result of just general chat with my male clients, with them saying that their pertners etc get waxed, and a couple of them said that they were not pleased with the results. I offered to speak to the ladies, and offer them some general aftercare advice etc, and lo and behold, before long, they were booking in.

Some ladies come with their husbands/friends/partners, and some now come on their own too. When they come together, both usualy get waxed!

I still have many more male clients, and this is where I aimes my business at, but the number of females coming as a result is increasing, and there has been no active advertising.

I also do a lot with the Environ skincare range, I have a good retail for it, and the DF Ionzyme machine is awesome.

Good luck with the new treatment room, and the business expansion
Terry

id have no problem with a man waxing me.....
Mat Wolverhampton is on the door step of my hometown of walsall, if you want me to tell my friends where you are its no problem its only a bus ride away. x

I think it sounds like a great biz you have planned there Mat (good luck).

Fact is that a lot of women would feel totally at ease with a gay guy but not a straight guy. Not sure where you fit into that :) If you start with the legs and under arms etc, once they feel comfortable with you, they'll continue to have more areas waxed and before you know it, you'll be doing Brazilians and Hollywoods.

With regard to nails etc, you would be a great hit so go for it and be brilliant. They'll love you!

I think you should build your biz on your personality, skill and good reputation. :hug: xx

Latest posts

Back