Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankyou well yes now when i think about what you have said, it is true that they need these products, it is just the same as getting your hair coloured at the hairdressers then buying their shampoos and hair products to maintain it isnt it, so i dont think i will feel so bad about it now! thanks Geeg, also one more questions, the amount i would buy say a solar oil for right, how much of a percentage should i be making of this product? is their a particular percentage or just whatever we feel is the right price? thankyou. Nic

This is exactly what I was thinking with the hair thing...when I still did hairdressing as a job I always made sure at least one of the products I used (when suitable for that clients hair) was one we carried as retail, telling them about it as I used it, that way they a) then knew how to use it correctly and b) could see for themselves what a difference it made...doing it this way probably meant about 80% of the time a client would then buy the product :)

And I will probably be exactly the same with nail retail too lol as I will no doubt be trying everything out on myself first :lol:

Well I don't see why one crazy woman should get you to the point of wanting to give up! I can see where you would be offended and cross about it but not why you should feel quite so devistated. :green:
I know - I have an awfully thin skin when it comes to nasty people and I let them get to me far too easily! My confidence is very easily knocked, and I must toughen up!
A day has passed and I feel much better - I've seen a few of my regulars - who are ALL such lovely people, and it makes me realise how lucky I am really!
I suppose that fact that it was a confrontation that criticised my home - my sacred space in effect! The people who come for treatments with me at my home salon respect it for what it is, and it was shocking to have invited someone in who behaved so badly. She could have said it better than she did if it really was an issue.
When I went to check on the loo after, I expected to find poo splattered everywhere, but there was a couple of spots right inside the pan that were missed because they were so small!
Anyway, I am very pleased to have been able to get it off my chest here.
Thanks,
Sarah x

Last edited:
Hi!

I'm loving this thread. So many people can identify with many of the situations that are being described.

I have another one for you!
All clients are different. Some like to sit there and chat away, some are quieter. Some you know you would get on with if you met them outside the salon and some you know you wouldn't.

I have a lovely client base and am getting a regular suppy of new ones.
I did some l&p enhancements on a lady last week (new customer). She had never had l&p before and wanted them looking lovely for her sons wedding the next day. I gave her a thorough consultation and after a while she decided on plain sculpted pink and white. We filled in a consultation card and she was really funny about giving docs name etc. Said she was not on any meds and basically it was none of my business anyway...She told me that her last salon didn't do this but I explained why etc and that the records would be in the cabinet in the salon and wouldn't go any further.

When i was doing her nails, she was constantly looking at them as if she wasn't happy. I shaped them as she asked me to (square) but I somehow got the feeling she wasn't happy. I asked her if everything was ok and if she liked the shape, and she said, 'they're fine'.

I was happy with the set but I got the feeling she wasn't. Was it me being paranoid or should I have questioned further?

Sam X

I'd hate to see her reaction if she came to use one of the loos in my house lol

I hate foul language especially from a man when a woman is present. It is shows a complete lack of respect and in fact I always think an actual dislike of women.

I would tell your client that you would prefer him not to be present while you are working as you really found his language offensive. If she gets upset over that, then she must be the same type of person. I'm sure she will respect your wishes.

Thanks Gigi, great answer. I agree with you on the swearing point tho-my dad is a total gentleman and always has been. He never, ever swears in front of a woman and has even been known to pull a man up if he swears whilst there's women present! I think when you've grown up with such a fab example of a man (yes, I am a daddys girl..:green:) then you really notice things like this. Im going to her house tomorrow and Ill see how things go-if he's ever there again and he starts swearing like that then I'll use your response. I also found myself thinking, well-it also says a lot about you if you find that acceptable. But...she is a client after all so I tried to put it to the back of my mind but I certainly dont wanna be in the position of feeling extremely uncomfortable in someone elses home. Lets see what happens........ thanks again x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I'm loving this thread. So many people can identify with many of the situations that are being described.

I have another one for you!
All clients are different. Some like to sit there and chat away, some are quieter. Some you know you would get on with if you met them outside the salon and some you know you wouldn't.

I have a lovely client base and am getting a regular suppy of new ones.
I did some l&p enhancements on a lady last week (new customer). She had never had l&p before and wanted them looking lovely for her sons wedding the next day. I gave her a thorough consultation and after a while she decided on plain sculpted pink and white. We filled in a consultation card and she was really funny about giving docs name etc. Said she was not on any meds and basically it was none of my business anyway...She told me that her last salon didn't do this but I explained why etc and that the records would be in the cabinet in the salon and wouldn't go any further.

When i was doing her nails, she was constantly looking at them as if she wasn't happy. I shaped them as she asked me to (square) but I somehow got the feeling she wasn't happy. I asked her if everything was ok and if she liked the shape, and she said, 'they're fine'.

I was happy with the set but I got the feeling she wasn't. Was it me being paranoid or should I have questioned further?

Sam X

I think if I was pretty certain the client wasn't completely happy, I would have questioned further but made it really easy for her by offering encouragement and saying .... "I'm getting the feeling that you would like me to change something" ... "It's easy for me to change the shape for you if you'd prefer an oval or softer square look" ... "Are you finding the square corners a bit too sharp?" ... "Would you like me to soften the look for you?" etc etc.

I say trust your feelings; that doesn't make you paranoid it makes you empathetic. You have to make it easy and comfortable for your clients to complain/ask for change. If you just say, "Are you happy with those?" you are making it really difficult for them to say "No I'm not" and they may not really know why they are not liking what they see.

You need to offer solutions and suggestions in a nice caring way so they do not feel awkward.

I felt like this would be the place to post to, so...

today the lady comes and wants her toe extended, because "it's small, unattractive and growing all wrong" because car run over her foot, ouch.

She took of her shoe and the nail is small, all in fungus, growing upward from the nailbed and thick. It's only to the half of the nailbed, and nailbed looks kinda raw, and has like a hollow, iykwim. And she says - stick something to it, I stick (diy nails) all the time with superglue :eek:.

I said - that's fungus. No it's not, says she and then convinces me enlisting all the fungus symptoms. Ok. If I 'stick something to it', there will be a hollow beneath the extention, and it will collect dirt and moist and you wont be able to get it out, said I. But I wash my feet! says she. Ok, thought I, I might 'stick something', but with fungus present, no.

To make the story short, I refused to do it. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't look right. She says thanks and goes out with her ears steaming.

I'm not questioning my decision. If I did something, that would be, in my oppinion, wrong to her nail's health. And if there was a way to do it safely, I think it's better to not do it if not sure, than do it and have her in bad dreams (or reputation, for that matter) afterwards.

What I was wondering was - the thin line between "I will" and "I won't" respect client whishes, in cases where quality, safety and health are compromised.

I know there's no such thing as universal recipe for that, or if there is at least a "little pill" for easing ones mind, please share :green: and there's always an option for me to put this into blog section :green:

I felt like this would be the place to post to, so...

today the lady comes and wants her toe extended, because "it's small, unattractive and growing all wrong" because car run over her foot, ouch.

She took of her shoe and the nail is small, all in fungus, growing upward from the nailbed and thick. It's only to the half of the nailbed, and nailbed looks kinda raw, and has like a hollow, iykwim. And she says - stick something to it, I stick (diy nails) all the time with superglue :eek:.

I said - that's fungus. No it's not, says she and then convinces me enlisting all the fungus symptoms. Ok. If I 'stick something to it', there will be a hollow beneath the extention, and it will collect dirt and moist and you wont be able to get it out, said I. But I wash my feet! says she. Ok, thought I, I might 'stick something', but with fungus present, no.

To make the story short, I refused to do it. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't look right. She says thanks and goes out with her ears steaming.

I'm not questioning my decision. If I did something, that would be, in my oppinion, wrong to her nail's health. And if there was a way to do it safely, I think it's better to not do it if not sure, than do it and have her in bad dreams (or reputation, for that matter) afterwards.

What I was wondering was - the thin line between "I will" and "I won't" respect client whishes, in cases where quality, safety and health are compromised.

I know there's no such thing as universal recipe for that, or if there is at least a "little pill" for easing ones mind, please share :green: and there's always an option for me to put this into blog section :green:

I can remember quite a few instances over the years where (when asked to do something quite awkward like your example) I have said to the client "If you want to let me experiment with you and will give me written permission, then I will do so.! When I have offered this to a client, it is only if I think I CAN do something for them using my good judgment and common sense and knowledge.

I make them commit to coming more regularly than most so I can keep an eye on what I've done AND they have to pay for all of that.

Nice little pill of wisdom, thanks :)

Hi,

This is such a wonderful thread, lets not forget about it and keep it coming.

Gigi your advice is priceless. Thank you :hug:

I think you should make a book out of this thread! x

We need to revive this thread!

Hello !!

Long time since I've seen this one! ;-)

Amazing advice that can be applied to much more than this industry x

Loved reading this thread.
brilliant advice.
Geeg- loving ur advice of a sweet smile :)
I've been smiling sweetly for years, even the meanest, hardest hearts retreat.

x x x

Love reading all this. What a fab thread.:)

Just marking this so I can find it later x

Sent from my iPod touch using SalonGeek

Just spent the last four hours reading every single bit of this thread. What great advice, I can't believe how much I have learnt. A massive thank you! :hug: x

Help, ive just had a nail client of mine ( i have known her since school ) that i have done nails on once before, i did a full set on her that she was very happy with and i reduced the price for her as so called 'mates rates' to £20 for a set of french tipped extensions, i did these on the monday and as far as i was aware every thing was fine, i then got a text from the client saying im not really happy had these nails on a week and three have come off i want my money back. I did find this very blunt so i replied and said oh no what happened? I will book you back in next week and will sort them out for you when are you free? i heard nothing until late the following day but this was really playing on my mind as i did not want any bad feelings, as this was playing on my mind i drove to a clients house and ended up having a minor accident in my car - how stupid i felt no one was hurt thankfully but i was going over this clients situation in my head think just becuase i am a mobile therapist and she knows me she was trying to take advantage and as it isnt my policy to give refunds i was trying to rectify the situation, just after the accident ( literally ) i got another text saying i will not be home for the next 2 weeks so if you could pop the money in an envelope and post it through the door it would be most appreciated sorry but this is the easiest way, ive obv now got car costs insurance costs and lose of my no claims i have had no accidents in 8 years, advice would be greatly appreciated i just don't know what to do do i just give her back the money to end it all?

I just don't know what to do do i just give her back the money to end it all?
No, no, NO!!! Definitely DO NOT give money back, you have offered to look at them to repair/redo, that is your offer, leave it at that. Put it this way, she's not a client you're bothered about keeping so leave her too it.

As has been said in other threads, you don't get a refund for a clothing item, food item that's faulty without showing the evidence so why should nails be any different! :)

Latest posts

Back