Your personal Agony Aunt for problem solving with clients!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for geeg but not because im having a problem because im interested in something...So geeg how did you become so brainey and so clued up about nails, the beauty bussiness etc? I think its utterly amazing how you can just know anything anyone asks? I would love to be like that xx

I think Gigi's success can be summed up in a few words...........

Education
Dedication
Passion
Tenacity
Diplomacy
a genuine love for what she does
keen sense for business
thinking outside the box
her family
and lots more

So Gigi am I right or am I right lol xxxx

I think Gigi's success can be summed up in a few words...........

Education
Dedication
Passion
Tenacity
Diplomacy
a genuine love for what she does
keen sense for business
thinking outside the box
her family
and lots more

So Gigi am I right or am I right lol xxxx

It can probably be summed up in two words .. AGE and EXPERIENCE (sadly :lol:)

I'm sure I do not know it all and I hope not, because I love learning! I've been taught by some of the very best, had a wonderful mentor who is still my best friend and who I love, family support always and the most from my Simon for whom I will ever be eternally grateful.:hug:

And thank you Roofie for the very kind words. :hug:

Hi Geeg

New client booked two weeks ago today for Natural Nail Overlays in Pink & White Acrylic. No one comes to my front door as I am strictly appointment only working from home. All bookings are done via phone.
Anyhow doorbell rings, she says she wants appointment, this is 8.30 at night. She saw a client of mine nails at her work who gave her my number and where I lived. I arrange appointment.
I Applied lovely thin and natural pink and whites which took me nearly two hours. This woman never had a manicure in her life also never had nails done.
6 days later she rings me - leaves a message on my answer phone -first words were not hi - but, you need to do something with these nails they are all cracked. I call her up and arrange appointment to have a look. I could see nothing wrong with her nails other than one broken nail which she absolutely refused to take responsibility for. I fixed the nail as sweetly as I could and explained it was mechanical and not a problem with her application. I was not going to charge her but never got the chance as she flew out the door.
Anyhow another message yesterday to say that she was not doing well with the nails and they were all lifted and cracked and I would have to soak off. I arrange appointment for 7 tonight.
Her nails were fine, obviously needed an infill but lovely and shiney and bright. The cracks were where she had cut them with a knife but would not admit to it.She had them on 14 days today. I explained to her what she needed to get done as I had the first app. I always advise in advance price and time. She insists she wants soak off and because I find her disturbingly arrogant and pushy I give up and get on with the job. Her nails were lovely after the soak off. I applied a nice polish, cuticle oil and hand cream (which I do with soak off). She looks at her nails and says, oh now there off I realise how nice they were. I was stumped.
I walk over to my reception desk, take out my reciept book, begin to write reciept. say that will be x pounds please when she shoots out the door saying ring me in 2 weeks because I would like them done again. I like an ejit stand with my mouth open. I must have stood like that motionless for a few minites, i could'nt believe it and still can't. I have no intention of ever taking her again and have wrote on her client card. But my question is what would you have done.

Killed her - not much help maybe, but what is the point with someone like this:eek:

I would send her the bill nontheless. She ran off without paying basically. If she doesn't pay send her another one stating that if she doesn't pay that you will take it further...

You basically run your own bussines just like anyone else, weather it's from home or a bussy salon in the middle of the city, doesn't matter. She wouldn't get away with that anywhere else.

You've been too mellow in the beginning with her giving her the impression that she can do what she want with you. I think it will def. be a lesson for next time :rolleyes: Or get yourself some trained dogs that you can set lose when another horrible customer makes a run for it...go and get her boys...!!!:lol:

You do not have to LET someone run out the door. You CAN go after them.

I would book her in for the ful set and charge her as well for the soak off at that time. I do not turn business away just because I do not like someone.

You do not have to LET someone run out the door. You CAN go after them.

I would book her in for the ful set and charge her as well for the soak off at that time. I do not turn business away just because I do not like someone.

Thank-you all for your response. Yes you are exactly right geeg I should not have let her run out the door and I should of course went after her.

Anyhow I met her in the local shop the next day and stopped to say Hi. She asked me for another appointment and I reminded her that she had not paid her last appointment and I was quite surprised at her attitude at that time. She apologized to me for her behaviour stating that she had a lot of personal problems and was confused and upset that particular evening.

The update is she has been back to me for appointment and paid in full. :|

I do not turn business away just because I do not like someone.

Dear Gigi,
my question is not so much about liking someone or not and turn business away... but respect to others.
I had two clients, very similar. They would wait for weeks and then come and expect from me to patch things up for the regular infill price and ofcourse, great result. Yes, I told them all about it, but those two would not listen. Infill is an infill, full set is a full set! I tried to make some sense into them but no...

Further more and worse, all the time during the treatment they stop, start looking at their hands and complain, "Ah, how thick, how ugly, I went to another tech and she did it 3 times worse than you, so I'm back, and why does it costs so much, why do I have to pay extra for a broken nail, everything is so expencive nowadays, no good hairdressers, my waxing lady sucks, my tailor sucks...", and after complaining about the price, she starts talking how she payed 1 000 € for a bed and 5 000 € for a custom made kitchen and all kinds of expencive clothes and shoes!

And when the nails are done (after ages of time, because they are looking at the every nail for 2 min's after my two file strokes), they do pay the full set price and say, great! I want to rebook! But I was sick of them and sick of that money I got. Every time it was their time to come, I would get cramped and uh...

And another thing: they would treat me as some lower being, like, shut up and work, I pay you to serve me. Yes, I serve, but not to let someone step on me and humiliate me. And if my nails are ugly and thick, why do you keep coming back?

So I decided - no more of those two and refused to take them again. I said - I'm busy, try some other time. The one of them moaned, oh, my nails are so ugly now (5 weeks, ofcourse they are ugly!), and ah I like you so much, but I was firm. I know if I told them the real reason, they would got into a fight and I don't want that mud on my face. So after awhile, they left me alone and probably went to someone else. I know that they'll be telling bad stories about me, but I thought, if hairdresser and tailor and waxing girl all 'sucked', who says they weren't saying the same about me?

I know, what is done, is done. At least, I'm peacefull now. I have 100 other clients that I adore and who listen my aftercare advice, rebook regulary, bring their friends to me and I earn enough for a very nice living.

But in general, was I wrong to send those 2 away? Or I'm too proud?

my question is not so much about liking someone or not and turn business away... but respect to others.

But in general, was I wrong to send those 2 away? Or I'm too proud?

No one is worth getting cramped up about and they both sound like pretty horrible women.

To me it seems as if you gave them your all and tried in every way to hang on to them and that is all you can do. If in the end you can afford to let them go and it is best for you and your peace of mind then I think you did the right thing. :hug:

What I object to today is the ever so common attitude (in the UK anyway) that ... Oh they can get stuffed! That so many people seem to have. Like one is doing the clients a favour! You tried hard. These others do not and it is no wonder thay have no business and never will have in my opinion.

Thank you :hug:
I was really beggining to think that I'm a nervous wreck because we certanly cannot all like eachother and business is business and business is money, but when I sent those two away, new clients came and I know I'm right. Nails should be relaxing, nice thing, for both clients and us.

I find that very often almost any problem can be solved when you try to talk to people with out assuming things :)

Anyway, this is a great thread, thank you all!! I've read everything here and now I am prepared to handle all sorts of clients :green: (well... maybe not all, but most :))

Hi All,
I had an upsetting incident this morning with a client, though not a nail client I suppose this kind of thing could happen in any situation.
I had full day booked today, at my home salon, but managed to fit in a client first thing, as she was "desperate" for a massage. She had been to me for the first time last week, seemed really happy and asked specifcally for an appointment today.
So this morning I did myusual round of cleaning the house, the bathroom, the loo etc and set up for my day of treatments.
She arrives on time and uses my loo before we sit down for a consultation/recap on how she is etc. She suddenly proclaimes "I can't do this! This is the second time I have found faeces in your toilet! It's disgusting and unprofessional, I can't stay here a moment longer!" She get up and heads towards the door, I'm trying to explain that I'm sorry, but this is a family home too, but she get's really aggressive and starts saying "I don't care, it's unprofessional, you call yourself a therapist but with your white tunic and certifcates on the wall don't make you a professional" at which point she is outside, shouting back at me, so I tell her that she should go to a salon next time, shut the door and stand there in shock!
The thing is, last time she cameI know that I scrubbed that toilet AND put a bucket on bleach down it. Anyway where does she expect to find faeces? Would it be better on the wall - so long as I had a sparkling pan?
I am so upset - and utterly furious!
I know this kind of thing is inevitable if you invite people into your home for treatments, but it's horrible. I feel like giving up - I give 110% to this job and have never had a complaint of this kind before. Soul destroying.
Ironically - she is a therapist too! The all healing NES (quantum physics type thing based that claims to heal everything)
Anyway, I feel a little better now for this - thanks for listening - LOL
Love and light
Sarah x

I love these types of thread.. They tell of what other techs do and what should be done. I am very much the type of person who is not in anyway confrontational or rude. I really do care about other peoples feelings and sometimes this goes against me. What I'm trying to say is that I would be described as being too soft!!

I have always worked in the customer service industry..shops, bars, hotels and obviously doing nails. I have always believed (or rather had it drummed into me from various "customer care" courses over the years) that the customer is always right. To an extent they are. But not when they are bullies!! Some people go out of their way to make sure they get things cheaper, whether its a piece of furniture, a free drink or a beauty treatment and I must say I have probably heard every excuse in the book.

Not long after starting up as a nail tech, think I was in my first few weeks
of renting a chair in a hair salon, I got this magical customer "Mrs.X". Now, I had never met Mrs.X before but she was related to one of the girls who worked in the salon, Mrs.X had apparently always had her nails done in the "salon up the road" and was apparently a lovely lady who said she would come to me because I was nearer.

When Mrs.X arrived her hair was beautifuly maintained, she was well dressed and she screamed out confidence. Mrs.X sat down and we had a discussion. I began the treatment (L&P extensions) then she threw it all out.... "That one doesnt look right, that ones thicker, shouldnt you be doing it thisway? I prefer it that way" immediatly I was put on edge, i felt so intimidated by her!!!

The whole way through the set she critisized my work, saying they were better in the other salon, (yet she had done nothing but put down the other salon the whole duration of her visit) when i did finaly finish them (2 and half hours!!! usually took me 1 and half) she said there were holes/smile lines werent perfect etc, so i charged her £10 instead of £20 (had not long been on my own), BIG MISTAKE!!!

She then came in three or four times for infills, (I may as well have just soaked them all off everytime, cos she wasnt happy with the filling!!) and everytime complained until I gave in and charged her less, even though most of my other clients were completely satisfied!!! It got to the stage where I really dreaded her coming in.

No one has made me feel more uncomfortable in their presence like she did, noone has ever made me feel "useless" like she did and thats when I knew I had to do something about it. I just simply became unavailable to her, I never had spaces in my diary to fit her in and if i knew it was her calling I wouldnt answer my phone. I know that was probably the wrong way of dealing with the situation at the time, but like I said, I cant handle confrontations and she would have put me in one. Ive even passed her a few times since then, whether its in the shop where she works or in the local pub, and still she has the ability to put that fear in me like when I used to do her nails!!!!!

I really feel like a school kid who is infront of the bully, thats the only way I can describe it!! I dont think these people care at all, and I genuinly dont believe for one minute that they are actually aware of what they do to other peoples' confidence. Thank God for all the great, loyal, honest and genuinely nice customers out there who make working within the customer service industry great fun and very worthwhile ))
I know Ive blabbered on a while, but Im sure Im not the only one to have experienced this.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS WAS POSTED IN ANOTHER THREAD THE OTHER DAY AND I THINK IT DESERVES SOME MORE DISCUSSION!

I asked Cadence alex who did the original post if she had charged the client for all the re-polishes and she replied that she hadn't ... had not wanted the confrontation etc.

It struck me that so many when faced with a similar 'tricky' situation become lost for words and the client walks all over you. SO ... I thought ... maybe some of you would like to post about similar dilemmas that have happened to you, where you have lost out to the client who has walked all over you!! I will then help you, if you like, by writing an answer or reply you could have given to your client that would have saved all the hard feelings, avoided a confrontation and left YOU the WINNER.

As an example ... re the above situation that Cadence found herself in: a really simple one.

At the point where Mrs. X (the client) asked Cadence to change the polish colour ALL she had to say was, "Mrs X, I must make you aware at this point and I'm sure you will understand, that if you want me to remove and re-polish your nails there will be an additional charge of 5.00." (or whatever).

A simple but to the point statement which is neither confrontational or argumentative but professional. Mrs X can either say yes or no before any 'situation' arises and she is clear for the future that your time and the products must be paid for. No one gets angry or annoyed and the choice is hers to make. Plus it is subtly implied that if she does not agree to pay more , she would be being unreasonable.

Being ready with these answers is the key to being professional whilst educating your clients. You do not appear to be greedy but you do appear to be businesslike.

Take a look at this.

http://www.salongeek.com/business/51249-show-you-confident-yourself-your-work-some-tricks.html

If you want anymore, I can be your personal Nail Tech agony Aunt in this thread so if you care to, keep them coming and I'll give you my best shot..

What a great thread!!! :) Ive often wondered about things like this-you can go to college to train for professional qualifications BUT dealing with people & diff scenarios often is learning by experience!! I had a client the other day who, I didnt have the problem with-but her friend. She is a regular client and I have never had any problems before but a male friend of hers came to visit and I am by no means "wet behind the ears" when it comes to the university of life or even being a prude! But this man came in (Ive never met before) and the language out of him shocked even me. I started trying talking to him being polite etc as he was a friend of her and her husband but Im not kidding when I say it was the T word, then the C word the f word the T then the C word :irked: etc etc etc I was flabbergasted.Then it got really vulgar and Im not even gonna repeat it on here. I ended up glaring at him, then he insulted my work saying Theyre not even long!! Mine are longer than that!! (I said yeah, but yours are absolutely filthy....) The reply I got was "Thats because they ve been up too many......".....Im sure you can guess the rest.. I am more than capable of telling someone like that where to get off, but with him being a friend of theirs I am now a little cautious of going back to her house. I dont even wanna be in the same room as someone who can talk about women like that - how would you deal with this????? All replies welcome :) Im thinking I should just switch off if hes ever there again but Id be glad to hear others opinions on this one :) xxxxx

Hi All,
I had an upsetting incident this morning with a client, though not a nail client I suppose this kind of thing could happen in any situation.
I had full day booked today, at my home salon, but managed to fit in a client first thing, as she was "desperate" for a massage. She had been to me for the first time last week, seemed really happy and asked specifcally for an appointment today.
So this morning I did myusual round of cleaning the house, the bathroom, the loo etc and set up for my day of treatments.
She arrives on time and uses my loo before we sit down for a consultation/recap on how she is etc. She suddenly proclaimes "I can't do this! This is the second time I have found faeces in your toilet! It's disgusting and unprofessional, I can't stay here a moment longer!" She get up and heads towards the door, I'm trying to explain that I'm sorry, but this is a family home too, but she get's really aggressive and starts saying "I don't care, it's unprofessional, you call yourself a therapist but with your white tunic and certifcates on the wall don't make you a professional" at which point she is outside, shouting back at me, so I tell her that she should go to a salon next time, shut the door and stand there in shock!
The thing is, last time she cameI know that I scrubbed that toilet AND put a bucket on bleach down it. Anyway where does she expect to find faeces? Would it be better on the wall - so long as I had a sparkling pan?
I know this kind of thing is inevitable if you invite people into your home for treatments, but it's horrible. I feel like giving up - I give 110% to this job and have never had a complaint of this kind before. Soul destroying.
Ironically - she is a therapist too! The all healing NES (quantum physics type thing based that claims to heal everything)
Love and light
Sarah x

What a nutter!!

What a nutter!!

What a nutter exactly!! Is she in competition with you? With u saying she's also a therapist? I don't know what to say to this one-very strange!! I'm not surprised you were upset x

I love these types of thread.. They tell of what other techs do and what should be done. I am very much the type of person who is not in anyway confrontational or rude. I really do care about other peoples feelings and sometimes this goes against me. What I'm trying to say is that I would be described as being too soft!!

I have always worked in the customer service industry..shops, bars, hotels and obviously doing nails. I have always believed (or rather had it drummed into me from various "customer care" courses over the years) that the customer is always right. To an extent they are. But not when they are bullies!! Some people go out of their way to make sure they get things cheaper, whether its a piece of furniture, a free drink or a beauty treatment and I must say I have probably heard every excuse in the book.

Not long after starting up as a nail tech, think I was in my first few weeks
of renting a chair in a hair salon, I got this magical customer "Mrs.X". Now, I had never met Mrs.X before but she was related to one of the girls who worked in the salon, Mrs.X had apparently always had her nails done in the "salon up the road" and was apparently a lovely lady who said she would come to me because I was nearer.

When Mrs.X arrived her hair was beautifuly maintained, she was well dressed and she screamed out confidence. Mrs.X sat down and we had a discussion. I began the treatment (L&P extensions) then she threw it all out.... "That one doesnt look right, that ones thicker, shouldnt you be doing it thisway? I prefer it that way" immediatly I was put on edge, i felt so intimidated by her!!!

The whole way through the set she critisized my work, saying they were better in the other salon, (yet she had done nothing but put down the other salon the whole duration of her visit) when i did finaly finish them (2 and half hours!!! usually took me 1 and half) she said there were holes/smile lines werent perfect etc, so i charged her £10 instead of £20 (had not long been on my own), BIG MISTAKE!!!

She then came in three or four times for infills, (I may as well have just soaked them all off everytime, cos she wasnt happy with the filling!!) and everytime complained until I gave in and charged her less, even though most of my other clients were completely satisfied!!! It got to the stage where I really dreaded her coming in.

No one has made me feel more uncomfortable in their presence like she did, noone has ever made me feel "useless" like she did and thats when I knew I had to do something about it. I just simply became unavailable to her, I never had spaces in my diary to fit her in and if i knew it was her calling I wouldnt answer my phone. I know that was probably the wrong way of dealing with the situation at the time, but like I said, I cant handle confrontations and she would have put me in one. Ive even passed her a few times since then, whether its in the shop where she works or in the local pub, and still she has the ability to put that fear in me like when I used to do her nails!!!!!

I really feel like a school kid who is infront of the bully, thats the only way I can describe it!! I dont think these people care at all, and I genuinly dont believe for one minute that they are actually aware of what they do to other peoples' confidence. Thank God for all the great, loyal, honest and genuinely nice customers out there who make working within the customer service industry great fun and very worthwhile ))
I know Ive blabbered on a while, but Im sure Im not the only one to have experienced this.

It is strange this feeling of fear that someone can bring to bear and I do know what you mean because it has happened to me .. not ever in the salon, but in another situation.

You handled it by making yourself scarce which worked for you but didn't help to build your confidence at 'dealing' with the situation. As I have said before, things do not HAVE to get to the confrontation stage.

If you don't want to deal face to face, then a written letter is always a good way to avoid it. You get your say but no come back .. or at least you get time to prepare yourself for a comeback.

Hi All,
Love and light
Sarah x

Well I don't see why one crazy woman should get you to the point of wanting to give up! I can see where you would be offended and cross about it but not why you should feel quite so devastated.

If someone was using the loo in my home, I would go and have a check before they used it saying something like ... "I have a young child who does not always remember to flush so just let me check everything is nice for you before you use the loo." I do this when someone uses our loo because to conserve water in the summer months we have a 'mellow yellow' rule. "If it's yellow stay mellow but if it's brown flush it down" :green:

Last edited:
What a great thread!!! :) Ive often wondered about things like this-you can go to college to train for professional qualifications BUT dealing with people & diff scenarios often is learning by experience!! I had a client the other day who, I didnt have the problem with-but her friend. She is a regular client and I have never had any problems before but a male friend of hers came to visit and I am by no means "wet behind the ears" when it comes to the university of life or even being a prude! But this man came in (Ive never met before) and the language out of him shocked even me. I started trying talking to him being polite etc as he was a friend of her and her husband but Im not kidding when I say it was the T word, then the C word the f word the T then the C word :irked: etc etc etc I was flabbergasted.Then it got really vulgar and Im not even gonna repeat it on here. I ended up glaring at him, then he insulted my work saying Theyre not even long!! Mine are longer than that!! (I said yeah, but yours are absolutely filthy....) The reply I got was "Thats because they ve been up too many......".....Im sure you can guess the rest.. I am more than capable of telling someone like that where to get off, but with him being a friend of theirs I am now a little cautious of going back to her house. I dont even wanna be in the same room as someone who can talk about women like that - how would you deal with this????? All replies welcome :) Im thinking I should just switch off if hes ever there again but Id be glad to hear others opinions on this one :) xxxxx

I hate foul language especially from a man when a woman is present. It is shows a complete lack of respect and in fact I always think an dislike of women.

I would tell your client that you would prefer him not to be present while you are working as you really found his language offensive. If she gets upset over that, then she must be the same type of person. I'm sure she will respect your wishes.

Hi Gigi...

I am about to start doing nails again on a more regular basis (whilst staying in full time work for now) I had tried recently but couldn't seem to get "off the ground" However this week, several people have approached me so it's looking good. I have explained that I use creative products, that I have been doing nails since 2002 but due to some time off Im going to charge £25 per set. I know this is like £10 cheaper than the local salon, this doesnt bother me as I want to keep any clients I get through the quality of my work, but Im not 100% confident that I can pull off the sets I used to, and I have explained that I can take up to 2hours for a mobile visit. All these customers seem happy with this. I will be phoning the Sweet shop on Monday for advise on a correct follow up course, to get my confidence back and get me back out there doing the best sets in the area!!!! (the ambition, motivation and dedication is there already :)
What I would like to know, how do I walk before I run? I just don't want to underestimate myself, or deny myself or my clients of anything that is "possible" Im just feeling rather "alone" in the whole idea, any advise would be appreciated,
Thankyou in advance
Ps You can use my name and I think you are perfect for that job!!!!

Latest posts

Back