Zinc Deficiency or Trauma?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne...

Reaction score
Took my daughter for a allergy test yesterday and the man who was doing the test looked at her nails and said "the white patches on her nails were due to zinc deficiency" is this true ?

Took my daughter for a allergy test yesterday and the man who was doing the test looked at her nails and said "the white patches on her nails were due to zinc deficiency" is this true ?

Hi Joanne

This one has been up for much debate, but i was taught in college - both in Manicure & Pedi and enhancements that it's caused by trauma to the nail plate, but it seems to be one of those 'is it/isn't it' scenarios! :)

i am currently training and have been taught its trauma to the nail......

My twins get them from time to time and i put it down to them being as rough as a badgers butt!

It can be from a zinc deficiency, but they would have to have a really bad diet (ie third world). It is much more likely to be caused by trauma.

Ok, there is a condition called leukonychia. Where the entire nail plate will go white, starting from the matrix and right out to the free edge. This is extremely rare, and can in some circumstances be linked to mineral deficiancy.

Leukonychia spots however are not related. They are caused by damage to the matrix, causing it to stop processing the keratin cells into the flat hard nail plate we are used to seeing.

i know where you are coming from thats what i was tought to. But i think kids are more prone to it and its not because they bang there matrix more.

I too am confused by these 'little white marks'.

I was taught that they were rogue nail cells, coming out of the matrix that did not rupture and flatten to create a 'normal' nail.

And, since, I've had a client with these white marks on each and every finger, at exactly the same growth distance up the nail - who reckoned they appeared after she had a set of enhancements done by a 'technician' who hurt her - definately a trauma. :rolleyes:

But, then I had a client ask me what the white marks were on her nails, I explained about them being little rogues and she then proceeded to tell me her sister, who's a doctor, told her it was a zinc deficiency and once she started to take supplements, they went away.

So, when she left I Googled Leukonychia and could only find info relating to zinc deficiency and trauma and nothing about rogues...................

:irked:

Interestin thread....

I too have had these little white marks on my nails, ive had them since been a child and sometimes im totaly free of them and sometimes i have oodles of them.

At the moment i have 3 white marks.

Ive seen doctors in my teens about them when i had that many my whole nails was dotted whith white and it looked gross:eek:

Ive only ever been told its a deficiency of either zinc/calcium...either way they dont bother me but they can look unsightly when they appear in their hundreds lol

Immature nail and trauma are the prime cause of the little white spots you are seeing. In the olden days they were even referred to as 'milk' spots because so many children have them. Unruptured nail cells (as someone said above). When the system matures, these spots are mostly from trauma.

A very SERIOUS deficiency in the diet can also be the cause of white nails as Envy said. This condition looks different and it looks severe, not just like a few white spots. The 'man' who did the test on your daughter is wrong in this case. If you have a normal healthy little girl who eats a good diet then it is most likely due to her age.

Immature nail and trauma are the prime cause of the little white spots you are seeing. In the olden days they were even referred to as 'milk' spots because so many children have them. Unruptured nail cells (as someone said above). When the system matures, these spots are mostly from trauma.

A very SERIOUS deficiency in the diet can also be the cause of white nails as Envy said. This condition looks different and it looks severe, not just like a few white spots. The 'man' who did the test on your daughter is wrong in this case. If you have a normal healthy little girl who eats a good diet then it is most likely due to her age.

LOL i love that saying "olden days"

You are right Geeg, I always remembered my gp saying "milk" spots and at one appointment he said to eat a cube of jelly a day to help lmao..whats all that about??

Ive also wondered if my diet was/is to blame as it is poor, i dont eat meat, eat very little fish (maybe once a year) stay away from eggs, cheese, milk, yoghurts. I can drink milk and eat the above but have to limit myself due to IBS so i just dont bother.

Interesting :eek:

LOL i love that saying "olden days"

You are right Geeg, I always remembered my gp saying "milk" spots and at one appointment he said to eat a cube of jelly a day to help lmao..whats all that about??

Ive also wondered if my diet was/is to blame as it is poor, i dont eat meat, eat very little fish (maybe once a year) stay away from eggs, cheese, milk, yoghurts. I can drink milk and eat the above but have to limit myself due to IBS so i just dont bother.

Interesting :eek:

You can always request a blood test to determine the levels of minerals in your body if you are concerned. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Everyone should have regular blood tests to check on these things but in the UK I'm sure they would never allow it on the NH.

Since I had stomach surgery, I pay out for a whopping blood test every year to check and it is really interesting to see the levels of everything in your body. Glad to report that I am fighting fit!! lol

You can always request a blood test to determine the levels of minerals in your body if you are concerned. It only takes a couple of minutes.
Everyone should have regular blood tests to check on these things but in the UK I'm sure they would never allow it on the NH.

Since I had stomach surgery, I pay out for a whopping blood test every year to check and it is really interesting to see the levels of everything in your body. Glad to report that I am fighting fit!! lol

And looking fit! You looked fab at excel:hug:

I have a blood test every 6 months due to ongoing medical probs and thyroid probs so i will ask for this to be included if it isnt already.

They won't even comfirm that she has a milk intolarance and i know they can test for that, even though she has been realy poorly and has her final exams cumming up.
I am pleased to say since she has cut all milk out of her diet she has been fine, so far.

Latest posts

Back