10yr old wanted fullset doing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjays69

Reaction score
Just received a phone call from a mother asking if i could do a full set of nails on a 10yr daughter????
I replied quite strickly NO and she wanted to know why??? she then repeatedly kept on telling me that she ALLREADY has the doin but not happy with the nail tech...? :(

cant beleive what i was hearing???

Just received a phone call from a mother asking if i could do a full set of nails on a 10yr daughter????
I replied quite strickly NO and she wanted to know why??? she then repeatedly kept on telling me that she ALLREADY has the doin but not happy with the nail tech...? :(

cant beleive what i was hearing???

some very irresponsible parents around arnt there, i would touch anyone under the age of 15 for enhancements xx

10 years old, blimey!!!
I would of done as you did and said NO!!

cant believe some mothers encourage there little girls to grow up so quick,I was playing with barbie dolls when i was 10,lol!

same as me hun x

10 yrs old is VERY young for fasle nails!
When the mother asked why you said no, what did you say to her? x

I'm with you - I would have said no too. I can't imagine why a mother would let/pay for her 10 year old to have nails. Maybe she's into kids beauty pagaents? Still inappropriate in my world though :)

Hiya

did she say why she wanted them done? I have done a 10 year old because she was entering a ballroom dancing competition and then she had them removed. It was only a very temporary thing though and I removed them the day after the competition/ grading.

Did she want them on a permanent basis then?
Thats mad for a 10 year old.

Lisa

Arent childrens nails very soft and would not hold the product very well, can you imagine if a child was playing (as kids do) and fell over onto her nails what damage she could do. Then there is the whole kind of children dressing up sexy at 10 issue as well, I dont treat any one under 16. xxxx

This is going to sound bad but I did my 10 year old daughters nails BUT I didn't file the natural nail to remove the shine or anything. She had been bugging me for weeks so I thought I would do them so that they wouldn't stay on for long. I didn't realize that they would all fall off when I went to file and shape them lol. But was very glad that they did because she said she would never ever sit for that long to have nails for a minute :D. She has never bugged me again!!!

I think it is very odd these days how when kids want to play dress up or have fun, parents feel the need to do the 'real deal'.

In my day when we wanted to play with long nail we got a pack of kiddie stick on nails (which if i remember had a stick which resembled cellotape and could be popped off and on til the sticky wore off) but now they have to have the real thing?

When we wanted to play makeup, we had a kiddie make up kit which consisted of one pink lipstick and 3 eyeshadow colours that were to be played with but then washed off before ever setting foot outside :D
These days some mums are giving their kids make overs as if it really matters and everything is to look good.

In my view some things just arent for children...you progress from grape juice to wine as you get older and become grown up and so you should with nails too.

My girls nagged me when I went to my nail tech, but I wouldn't let them. It was just the nail art they were after really though.

My 6yr old, is a real girly girl and I often sit and practice designs on her nails, no way would I let them have tips though.

I don't think theres anything wrong with a bit of sparkle no and again on natural nails but kids grow up too fast as it is, they need to be kids longer (say maybe until they are about 30, and I can stop wrapping them up in cotton wool lol) :lick:

Sadly all too common where I am.Children have highlights etc at a very young age. The mothers pay out for top stylists too. I understand the rationale that they would rather it was done properly than furtively messed up round a friends house, but have they never said no?

As much as you can warn silly women of the downsides of letting a child have enhancements, I don't think they will "get it". The little girl probably wants to look like Jordan and is pestering.

I used to love playing at hair and makeup at that age, but had no knowledge about pro stuff, more girls world and Mum's old lipsticks!

I have done tip and dip enhancement on 10 year olds, BUT before you shoot me It was on two little biters, they were filed so there was no lenght, and was removed after 3 weeks, they haven't bitten their nails since and comes in regularly with their mum (she has her nails done) and show me proudly they don't bite them anymore...

I have always said no enhancements on under 16, I'm considering changing it to no permanent enhancement on under 18, as I feel the 16 year olds isn't reliable clients anyway, and they ill just take up space from more loyal grown up clients. My weekend nails, Partynails, shellac etc. I will do on special occasion, and polish + designs etc on everybody, just as long as they pay the price, I have no discounts for kids at all:D

10 years of age I dont know what I am more shocked at the mother saying yes to her daughter to getting them done or arguing with you because you said no.

Like you I would never do a treatment like that on someone so young.

People never cease to amaze me !! lol

I do my 10 year old daughters nails all the time !
Minx, l&p, Gel... whatever takes our fancy at the time...
I also spray tanned them last night when I got my new kit..

Are my kids spoilt...NO...
Do I want to make them look older before their years NO...
They don't bother with make up etc... they just like having their nails done... it means nothing other than just that ! (Ok I know I am a nail tech so they are always around nails etc... but a child who is around women who always have theirs done will probably see having nails done as 'the norm' too)

I personally also think its wrong to assume any of this will make a child more open to the dirty filthy scumbags of this world who sadly have the wrong thoughts about children...But I won't go any further with my thoughts on this subject.

I am NOT ashamed in the slightest that I do my kids nails, and I don't care if anyone thinks I may be disgusting for it, I also no longer
care if anyone doesn't understand why I would do it.

My daughter is a nail biter...and me doing her nails stops her biting and makes her feel better about her hands.

I have been there where I have snuck into threads like these and almost felt like I had had to apologise for the fact I do my girls nails ( I have been putting 'false nails' on her since she was about 8)

I personally refuse to do anyone's nails under 14, Other than my kids and my eldest daughters best friend...
I don't think its wrong that THEY choose to want them, It's just my choice not to do them, Mainly because They have such small nails, they can be a PITA to do, and takes ages, I can't be bothered with the odd mum who may come in moaning because her child with tiny nail plates has lost 4 nails !!!

My kids look after their nails... they are the clients of the future, They very rarely break a nail and look after them much better than some of my adult clients do...

I understand you have your opinions, But you can't judge all mums for them wanting their kids nails done... Maybe they think they are doing the right thing by asking a professional instead of buying stick on nails...

I gotta agree with you Emmsy. My daughter is 5 and already she is begging me all the time to do her nails like mine. I say 'nooo not till your 16'! but do I think ill be able to hold out till then...? Nope! I give her a little sparkle and nail art but still she wants what mummy has. Most girls do. I think its unfair to judge Mums just cos they let their daughters have nails. As for what we used to do when we were young.... I dont think the nail industry was as open to average mums 20 odd years aso, like it is today. Maybe if it was we would have seen our mums doing it and begged and pleaded too. I have got to say though I dont like the idea of doing nails on young girls at all, but compleatly understand why they want them and why mums say 'yes'. End of the day they just wanna copy mummy, its natural.

I would have done the same thing....If she came in with her mum and they both had a manicure ...fair enough ...but fake nails at 10 :( I agree with most , I won't do anyone under the age of 16 and then i get the parents to fill out the health form first and sign it !

Hiya

did she say why she wanted them done? I have done a 10 year old because she was entering a ballroom dancing competition and then she had them removed. It was only a very temporary thing though and I removed them the day after the competition/ grading.

Did she want them on a permanent basis then?
Thats mad for a 10 year old.

Lisa

no i did not ask :o, the only thing she said was that she has them done an wasn't happy. i replied by saying that for insurance reasons I would not do it. I know i lied but i never have come across this before in the 6 yrs i have been doing nails....?
she wasn't happy felt as if she demanded that i do them!!!''

If a mother puts nails on their own daughter that's their choice (and I'm keeping my opinions to myself!) but as a professional you really should check with your insurers as under 16's are not usually insured without a letter from a parent or even a parent being present!

I do my 10 year old daughters nails all the time !
Minx, l&p, Gel... whatever takes our fancy at the time...
I also spray tanned them last night when I got my new kit..

Are my kids spoilt...NO...
Do I want to make them look older before their years NO...
They don't bother with make up etc... they just like having their nails done... it means nothing other than just that ! (Ok I know I am a nail tech so they are always around nails etc... but a child who is around women who always have theirs done will probably see having nails done as 'the norm' too)

I personally also think its wrong to assume any of this will make a child more open to the dirty filthy scumbags of this world who sadly have the wrong thoughts about children...But I won't go any further with my thoughts on this subject.

I am NOT ashamed in the slightest that I do my kids nails, and I don't care if anyone thinks I may be disgusting for it, I also no longer
care if anyone doesn't understand why I would do it.

My daughter is a nail biter...and me doing her nails stops her biting and makes her feel better about her hands.

I have been there where I have snuck into threads like these and almost felt like I had had to apologise for the fact I do my girls nails ( I have been putting 'false nails' on her since she was about 8)

I personally refuse to do anyone's nails under 14, Other than my kids and my eldest daughters best friend...
I don't think its wrong that THEY choose to want them, It's just my choice not to do them, Mainly because They have such small nails, they can be a PITA to do, and takes ages, I can't be bothered with the odd mum who may come in moaning because her child with tiny nail plates has lost 4 nails !!!

My kids look after their nails... they are the clients of the future, They very rarely break a nail and look after them much better than some of my adult clients do...

I understand you have your opinions, But you can't judge all mums for them wanting their kids nails done... Maybe they think they are doing the right thing by asking a professional instead of buying stick on nails...

clearly you have put your point across, its ok! we all have something to say after all. i believe that anybody giving these kind of repeated treatments at such a young age are IRRESPONSIBLE!
What on earth would you when your child/children ripped off there nail by falling off a bike,tree ect.
i wouldn't dream on doing them on my daughter neither would her mother!!!
"they are children" i am glad that u do not offer these treatments any other children thou ;)
I personally wouldn't do this... it nice to see that other nail tech feel the same

Latest posts

Back