10yr old wanted fullset doing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, let me make this very clear.. I do NOT approve on enhancements on CHILDREN under the age of 16.

They are CHILDREN and ought to enjoy the fact before they are rushed into growing up.
That is my personal opinion.
When my neighbor had streaks put in her 9yr old daughter's hair... I cringed.

When parents call for such a service, I question and try to find out about why they are doing it.
Usually, it's for a wedding or a grade 6 graduation. Many are biters.
I am usually able to convince them to go with a lovely natural manicure.
However, there are some cases that it's not possible and when the mother makes it VERY CLEAR that it's me or the NSS chopshop down the street... THEN I have to think of the poor child. What average mother would want to see a child cringe and suffer at the ends of a tech who is A) untrained B) causing damage and trauma carelessly C) using in all likelihood, MMA ?

ALSO, as a Professional my personal opinion should not enter into it and NOR is it my place to judge a parent.
Another parent's choices is none of my business (unless it's abuse). Period.

Having said that, if the parent is determined and will likely take the poor child off to the NSS to be tortured, then I submit to their request BUT only to apply tip-n-dip (NEVER uv gel or L&P) and so thinly they might as well be party nails. And very very short...

So, have at it. Judge me as you like. But for this, I choose the lesser of two evils.
Just as I have no business judging my neighbor for streaking her hair or dressing her like a tart, it's no more so my business if someone wants their child to have nails.

On another note: when a PROFESSIONAL does her own daughter's nails to help her stop biting or for a special event... a couple of things should be considered
A) the PROFESSIONAL is there every day to check the nails and make sure her daughter isn't picking/biting etc.
B) the PROFESSIONAL (meaning well trained and conscientious) will make the right decision for length and make sure they are cared for and removed properly.

Average mother's won't know what the Professionals know and won't do what Professional's do.

So, in the case of the PROFESSIONAL doing her own daughter's nails, I don't feel it should be compared to a random Mom taking her daughter to get her nails done.

:hug:

I did a long post but to be honest can't see the point in going ahead...

I respect all peoples rights to have their own opinions....And to refuse treatments on under 16's because of their own reasons I mean, not just insurance purposes.
As I have said I outright refuse under 14's, and would use my own judgement over whether to do 14-15 year old depending on whether I knew the child or after speaking with the parents etc..
and I have talked parents out of l&P into Minx instead for proms etc...

however I just cannot believe some people would judge my parenting skills on whether or not I allow my daughters to wear enhancements on their nails or not.....

If that makes me a crap mum ( with my daughter who won an award for being one of the highest SATS achievers in the county.. My kids who don't play out much because I worry too much about them, don't swear, smoke, drink, bully, or think they are better than anyone else unlike some of their classmates ! )
Then so be it !!!!

First, let me make this very clear.. I do NOT approve on enhancements on CHILDREN under the age of 16.

They are CHILDREN and ought to enjoy the fact before they are rushed into growing up.
That is my personal opinion.
When my neighbor had streaks put in her 9yr old daughter's hair... I cringed.

When parents call for such a service, I question and try to find out about why they are doing it.
Usually, it's for a wedding or a grade 6 graduation. Many are biters.
I am usually able to convince them to go with a lovely natural manicure.
However, there are some cases that it's not possible and when the mother makes it VERY CLEAR that it's me or the NSS chopshop down the street... THEN I have to think of the poor child. What average mother would want to see a child cringe and suffer at the ends of a tech who is A) untrained B) causing damage and trauma carelessly C) using in all likelihood, MMA ?

ALSO, as a Professional my personal opinion should not enter into it and NOR is it my place to judge a parent.
Another parent's choices is none of my business (unless it's abuse). Period.

Having said that, if the parent is determined and will likely take the poor child off to the NSS to be tortured, then I submit to their request BUT only to apply tip-n-dip (NEVER uv gel or L&P) and so thinly they might as well be party nails. And very very short...

So, have at it. Judge me as you like. But for this, I choose the lesser of two evils.
Just as I have no business judging my neighbor for streaking her hair or dressing her like a tart, it's no more so my business if someone wants their child to have nails.

On another note: when a PROFESSIONAL does her own daughter's nails to help her stop biting or for a special event... a couple of things should be considered
A) the PROFESSIONAL is there every day to check the nails and make sure her daughter isn't picking/biting etc.
B) the PROFESSIONAL (meaning well trained and conscientious) will make the right decision for length and make sure they are cared for and removed properly.

Average mother's won't know what the Professionals know and won't do what Professional's do.

So, in the case of the PROFESSIONAL doing her own daughter's nails, I don't feel it should be compared to a random Mom taking her daughter to get her nails done.

:hug:

your voice has been herd and still i remain adornment that whether a professional or a mother its down to common sense... clearly no excuse in the book can change that fact that a child is a child and not a TEEN or WOMAN. I did not intend on defending myself but as it has it, clearly this i what im having to do!!!!!
it is IMO imoral and once again NO excuse in the book would allow me as a FATHER and a PROFESSIONAL to do either my own daughters nails or the client that inquired
as i said its nice to see people that agree with me :D weather a mother takes the child to either the nss or a professional the answer should be the same, with the nss as well as professional and that is quite simply NOOO! :lick:

I did not intend on defending myself but as it has it, clearly this i what im having to do!!!!!
it is IMO imoral and once again NO excuse in the book would allow me as a FATHER and a PROFESSIONAL to do either my own daughters nails or the client that inquired

I don't really have much of an opinion on this subject as I don't have kids and I don't do nail enhancements, but I just wanted to say that nobody is questioning your morals so please don't questio the morals of others - it just happens that some people have a different opinion to you. That's fine, you can agree to differ :hug:

I respect all peoples rights to have their own opinions....And to refuse treatments on under 16's because of their own reasons I mean, not just insurance purposes.
As I have said I outright refuse under 14's, and would use my own judgement over whether to do 14-15 year old depending on whether I knew the child or after speaking with the parents etc..

however I just cannot believe some people would judge my parenting skills on whether or not I allow my daughters to wear enhancements on their nails or not.....

If that makes me a crap mum ( with my daughter who won an award for being one of the highest SATS achievers in the county.. My kids who don't play out much because I worry too much about them, don't swear, smoke, drink, bully, or think they are better than anyone else unlike some of their classmates ! )
Then so be it

Your daughters education has nothing to do with this post...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really have much of an opinion on this subject as I don't have kids and I don't do nail enhancements, but I just wanted to say that nobody is questioning your morals so please don't questio the morals of others - it just happens that some people have a different opinion to you. That's fine, you can agree to differ :hug:

i aploigise if i sound wrong!!! or if i am questioning the morals of others. i am a nail technician and quite simply i am defeding my post....

Last edited:
if they or you dont like it jog onnnn:lick:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. There's no need to be rude. I won't be replying to you anymore.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. There's no need to be rude. I won't be replying to you anymore.

apoligies didnt read ur post correctly. i got caught in the moment!!! please excuse me as this post has givin me a head ache!!!! please excuse me
:grr:

This is a forum for nail professionals! Not for parenting skills! No one can come close to changing a parents opinion on their child on here if it gets personal.

Stick to the facts Geeks!

Under 16's are not insured!

A nail professional should be aware of the dangers of enhancing a childs nails.

This is a forum for nail professionals! Not for parenting skills! No one can come close to changing a parents opinion on their child on here if it gets personal.

Stick to the facts Geeks!

Under 16's are not insured!

A nail professional should be aware of the dangers of enhancing a childs nails.

wel said mum - i dont agree with any child being made up with nails etc but i suppose you cant stop some parents doing this in there own homes, i wouldnt do it on my daughter nor anyone elses child x

I thought most of you do pamper partys and stuff? dosent that open the door to the kid's wanting more?
and are kids of under 16 insured with pamper partys?

Why don't you do "weekend nails"? You know the stick on ones from the chemist as a compromise?!

thank you all for your replys ;)

Then so be it

Your daughters education has nothing to do with this post...

I agree why has education got anything to do with this,,I know lots of client whom children are privately educated but still rebell,,so its irrelevant, it's like saying you allow your child to wear enhancments only if you are on benefits and living on council estate, and all mums dads that have money are great parents...wrong,,,,,,,

It is about what is MORALLY right and WRONG,, at 10yr old its wrong for a child to want them and as parents we should educate as to whY???

I agree why has education got anything to do with this,,I know lots of client whom children are privately educated but still rebell,,so its irrelevant, it's like saying you allow your child to wear enhancments only if you are on benefits and living on council estate, and all mums dads that have money are great parents...wrong,,,,,,,

It is about what is MORALLY right and WRONG,, at 10yr old its wrong for a child to want them and as parents we should educate as to whY???

HEEELLLLLOOO? Under 16 and your should check your insurance, simple.
Has anybody actually READ emmsybabes posts? Or are you all just skimming and picking the points you want to pick on?
She has clearly stated that she, AS A PROFESSIONAL, does not do clients under 14's, and as V pointed out, emmsybabes, as a professional, is there to keep and eye on things that COULD go wrong and fix or remove as necessary with HER childrens nails.

As professionals it is not up to us to teach other parents morals, we can only teach them that our insurance will not cover us or them to do under a certain age.

Last edited:
HEEELLLLLOOO? Under 16 and your should check your insurance, simple.
Has anybody actually READ emmsybabes posts? Or are you all just skimming and picking the points you want to pick on?
She has clearly stated that she, AS A PROFESSIONAL, does not do clients under 14's, and as V pointed out, emmsybabes, as a professional, is there to keep and eye on things that COULD go wrong and fix or remove as necessary with HER childrens nails.

As professionals it is not up to us to teach other parents morals, we can only teach them that our insurance will not cover us or them to do under a certain age.

HEEEELOOOOOO,,,I'm sorry I can not see what your point is? I was pointing out that basically at 10yrs of age it is morally wrong for us adults parents to allow their children to have enhancments, as we as their gaurdians have to take it upon ourselves to make descions for them, whether they they think it wrong or right, so basically we need to educate our children to not bite there nails, etc,,,,,, so how do you draw the line??? there children fgs xxx

I Live on a council estate luv, I had first my daughter at 16 years of age, and was on benefits as a single mum for a long time,
I now get tax credits and have set up my own business with no loans, No money, nothing, and am skinter than skint ! so trust me I have NO airs and graces as anyone who knows me will know.

Mums who allow their children to wear an overlay on their nails are being thought Of as Bad mums.
I am NO bad mum. My opinion of a bad mum is one that couldn't give a stuff what her kids are up to, Not one who may think it is a nice treat to get her daughter nails done, and knows no harm in it.

IN YOUR OPINION....
IN MY opinion a 10 year old little girl wanting pretty nails isn't wrong, especially if she is brought up around lots of women who wear nails and talk about nails and get excited over their nails.
And me doing my own child's nails is better for her, than biting them to next to nothing to the point her surrounding skin becomes red, and inflamed, to the point she has drew blood...
Yet with an overlay, she goes nowhere near them. ( and solar oils daily ;))

Too many people Judge other people waaaayyyy to easily .. I am so glad I am not like that !

I will continue to do both my daughter nails whether people agree with it or not.
And I will continue to refuse to do under 14's, Because that is my policy, NOT because I judge the mothers.

HEEEELOOOOOO,,,I'm sorry I can not see what your point is? I was pointing out that basically at 10yrs of age it is morally wrong for us adults parents to allow their children to have enhancments, as we as their gaurdians have to take it upon ourselves to make descions for them, whether they they think it wrong or right, so basically we need to educate our children to not bite there nails, etc,,,,,, so how do you draw the line??? there children fgs xxx

My point is, it is not our place, AS PROFESSIONALS, to teach OTHER parents our morals. As parents we can only teach OUR children morals.

IN YOUR OPINION....
IN MY opinion a 10 year old little girl wanting pretty nails isn't wrong, especially if she is brought up around lots of women who wear nails and talk about nails and get excited over their nails.
And me doing my own child's nails is better for her, than biting them to next to nothing to the point her surrounding skin becomes red, and inflamed, to the point she has drew blood...
Yet with an overlay, she goes nowhere near them. ( and solar oils daily ;))

Too many people Judge other people waaaayyyy to easily .. I am so glad I am not like that !

I will continue to do both my daughter nails whether people agree with it or not.
And I will continue to refuse to do under 14's, Because that is my policy, NOT because I judge the mothers.

I agree Its not wrong,, my 5 yo has her nails painted and minxed,,,, I was just saying that it does not matter what class backround etc,, its doen to morals and me personally think its wrong to put enhancments on a 10yr old,,not saing you can not encorouge them to look pretty natturally,,,,,,,

By your post you are trying to say whats wrong with them wanting pretty nails,,and the only way they can have these is by having enhancments??

As a general rule I dont do anyone under 16 and I wouldnt do anything that invalidated my insurance.

I did however teach at a local secondary school and a good 50% of girls aged about 13 onwards had nail enhancements.

Where are they all getting them done? When I asked some got them done at the local NSS but a lot had them done in local salons.

I also noticed that some of the 11-12 year olds had them done too so it seemed to be the norm to have them done. No body seems to care or be too bothered about insurance in these places and one of the salons was a high end (for my area anyway ) salon.

Sometimes (and I am not saying I do this!) its easy to think well if I dont take the money someone else will and they will do a much worse job of it than me. Because someone out there is making the money out of these girls.

I can see why parents would tar all salons with the same brush though after talking to the girls. If one salon does it then it would seem strange to ask another salon and be told under no circumstances would they do children under 16.

I think you have to have your own professional ethics and keep to them but there will always be people who work in ways that are not as professional and thats in all walks of life.

Latest posts

Back