10yr old wanted fullset doing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point is, it is not our place, AS PROFESSIONALS, to teach OTHER parents our morals. As parents we can only teach OUR children morals.

In some places it is classed as ok to let children of 12 yo go on sunbeds,, and smoke etc,,,, ive seen it believe me,,,morallly its wrong,,,,,, I got asked to spray tan an 8 yo the other day and minx a 6 yo.... I said no,,,,,,,,1, silly as why do you want your 8 yo to have spray tan, my 12 yo gets tanned but I am currently trtng to get her to get used to being pale, be bit different to all kids in her class, stop being a sheep,,,bahhhh, lol and following the crowd.2nd a 6 yo little girl will pull minx off and mother will complain, my daughter picks them,, I complain,,,,to whom,,ha ha xx

By your post you are trying to say whats wrong with them wanting pretty nails,,and the only way they can have these is by having enhancments??

Thats not what I am saying at all.... I have done my youngest daughters nails tonight in pink Camo Minx...
When she does have nails on, she has a short overlay not past her finger tip.
I 100% as I have said, respect others opinions, But I don't respect the way a woman can be judged as a bad parent just because of this,

Lines can be drawn, as to what we think is right and wrong for our children, but it is upto the individual parents where that line is...
With you Katie you allow your daughter to have her little nails painted and minxed yes ? well I personally think that is really cute, However I bet there are people out there somewhere who would also think THIS was making her grow up before her years and she at 5 years old, should have natural nails only, What would your reply to this be ? most probably 'she is my child I will do what I want' yes ?

My reply to most of this thread has been as a parent who feels she has been judged as a mother,
Like sher said.. we should educate about nails with facts,
and share our opinions, but I just don't think it is fair to judge or try to force our opinions or morals on others IMO.

Last edited:
Thats not what I am saying at all.... I have done my youngest daughters nails tonight in pink Camo Minx...
When she does have nails on, she has a short overlay not past her finger tip.
I 100% as I have said, respect others opinions, But I don't respect the way a woman can be judged as a bad parent just because of this,

Lines can be drawn, but it is upto the individual parents where that line is...
With you Katie you allow your daughter to have her little nails painted and minxed yes ? well I personally think that is really cute, However I bet there are people out there somewhere who would also think THIS was making her grow up before her years and she at 5 years old, should have natural nails only, What would your reply to this be ? most probably 'she is my child I will do what I want' yes ?

My reply to most of this thread has been as a parent who feels she has been judged as a mother,
Like sher said.. we should educate about nails with facts,
and share our opinions, but I just don't think it is fair to judge or try to force our opinions or morals on others IMO.

I do allow my child to have natural nails, as you should know being a nail professional, that enamel and minx will not cause the natural nail plate any trauma or damge if pulled off intentionally,,,as many 5yo will do, however as we all know that overlays enhancments etc will cause damage if picked pulled etc which most minors will do as they do not understand or respect but us as adults do understand that only by pulling enhancments off wil this cause natural nail damage,,,,,,10 yr old do not need enhancments,,,end offf

Last edited by a moderator:
I've shellac-ed my 8 year old, hands and feet, she had a horrable acedent when she was a tot and lost top part of one finger , they put the matrix ect back in and she now has a nail, that nail curves over her finger tip as there is No pulp at the finger tip , so no free edge ,
this is part of the reason why I became a nail tech ! She's 8 at the mo I keep the nail looking as good as I can and I do make all her nails look good so that she dosent feel odd ,
when / if she asks me I will do wat ever I can in the way of an enhancement for her.
Even if she's 10!
So yes there can be resons to "enhance" a nail !

I've shellac-ed my 8 year old, hands and feet, she had a horrable acedent when she was a tot and lost top part of one finger , they put the matrix ect back in and she now has a nail, that nail curves over her finger tip as there is No pulp at the finger tip , so no free edge ,
this is part of the reason why I became a nail tech ! She's 8 at the mo I keep the nail looking as good as I can and I do make all her nails look good so that she dosent feel odd ,
when / if she asks me I will do wat ever I can in the way of an enhancement for her.
Even if she's 10!
So yes there can be resons to "enhance" a nail !

Mizzy this is not what we are talking about,,yes for reasons as you say maybe???? but not for purely narcistic reasons on the mothers behalf,,

I do allow my child to have natural nails, as you should know being a nail professional, that enamel and minx will not cause the natural nail plate any trauma or damge if pulled off intentionally,,,as many 5yo will do, however as we all know that overlays enhancments etc will cause damage if picked pulled etc which most minors will do as they do not understand or respect but us as adults do understand that only by pulling enhancments off wil this cause natural nail damage,,,,,,10 yr old do not need enhancments,,,end offf

Went to post my reply, but had page not displayed, and I am not typing all that again!

You think what you want luv... I really couldn't give a toss lol

You have just contradicted yourself regarding doing your daughter's nails.

"I personally refuse to do anyone's nails under 14...They have such small nails, they can be a PITA to do, and takes ages"

Children haven't the maturity to decide that they should have nails like the adults do, because they cannot make an informed decision about the damage that may be caused to the natural nail if not cared for properly and a childs nail is immature & unable to thrive & cope with the prep involved in applying enhancements.
The very fact that you feel you have to justify yourself shows that you know in yourself that it's wrong to be messing with a childs nails.

If your children are so keen to have pretty nails then ditch the ignorant bliss and invest in some nice nail colours, indulge in some (basic, if you don't have the 'utensils') nail art and that will help discourage any biting (As a nail biter, i speak from experience!) :)

Best wishes

Went to post my reply, but had page not displayed, and I am not typing all that again!

You think what you want luv... I really couldn't give a toss lol

Great attitude for debate,,,its about personal opinion also about whats right, morally and wrong morally in the eyes of our community/country,world as a whole,,, love our prime minister to say dont give a toss pmsl:lick:

You have just contradicted yourself regarding doing your daughter's nails.

"I personally refuse to do anyone's nails under 14...They have such small nails, they can be a PITA to do, and takes ages"

Children haven't the maturity to decide that they should have nails like the adults do, because they cannot make an informed decision about the damage that may be caused to the natural nail if not cared for properly and a childs nail is immature & unable to thrive & cope with the prep involved in applying enhancements.
The very fact that you feel you have to justify yourself shows that you know in yourself that it's wrong to be messing with a childs nails.

If your children are so keen to have pretty nails then ditch the ignorant bliss and invest in some nice nail colours, indulge in some (basic, if you don't have the 'utensils') nail art and that will help discourage any biting (As a nail biter, i speak from experience!) :)

Best wishes

I ...YES ME ..I choose to do MY daughters nails... I am a 30 year old woman, I do not need to be spoken to like I am an idiot thankyou !
I have lots of nail enamels .. and plenty of nail art products. and yes I can turn my hand to a little nail art should I feel the urge ! ;)
I haven't contradicted myself at all lol, I do what I do, and I believe what I believe, and should I ever choose to change my mind, then I will !

My parental skills, and my professional skills are two separate issues completely, and I am happy with the way I do both :D

Wow now you can see why I haven't really been around much for the last year... :grr:

Can we agree to disagree on this one guys?

If we're talking about nails on clients (whatever their age) then we have to use our professional judgement. If we're talking about nails on our own children then we can use personal judgement (as well as our professional training to make that judgement).

There's a difference :wink2:

i can see this from both sides, i am 21 and i thinking girls now growing up far to quick!!!

times are changing younger girls sticking with fashion etc!!

everyone sayin about treatments not to be done for under 16s... what about proms...

i do a few girls under 16 with there parents, eg waxing as they been brought up to wax not shave!! under 16 i only wax legs and eyebrows!!

your voice has been herd and still i remain adornment that whether a professional or a mother its down to common sense... clearly no excuse in the book can change that fact that a child is a child and not a TEEN or WOMAN. I did not intend on defending myself but as it has it, clearly this i what im having to do!!!!!
it is IMO imoral and once again NO excuse in the book would allow me as a FATHER and a PROFESSIONAL to do either my own daughters nails or the client that inquired
as i said its nice to see people that agree with me :D weather a mother takes the child to either the nss or a professional the answer should be the same, with the nss as well as professional and that is quite simply NOOO! :lick:

I could comment on so many of the replies that followed my own first one... however.... I'm choosing only this one.
Let's get one thing clear.

IT'S NOT IMMORAL to do a child's nails.

Look up the word in the dictionary folks. Learn what it means before you toss it around, making judgements and insulting your fellow professionals.
(Herd is a group of animals, "heard" is past tense of hear. I also think you meant "adamant" and not adornment. You might want to read up on those words too)
I NEVER used the word "Immoral", so please don't assume that we are on the same wavelength, because judging from that reply, we aren't by a long shot.

AND FOR ANOTHER
This is a PROFESSIONAL FORUM.
I am downright disgusted by the insults being tossed around (not only this post).
People are entitled to live as they choose and do as they like so long as they harm none.
It's not our place to judge their lives.
If we were all the same, the world would be a very boring place.
While we may not all agree on everything, NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT to bear judgement upon another.
So put down your gavel. No one named you the judge.

AND ON ANOTHER NOTE:
As a former biter myself, and having broken one of my daughter's of the habit when she was 3, AND as a PROFESSIONAL who has reformed some biters... I KNOW that the older one gets, the harder it is to break the habit AND I've seen what YEARS AND YEARS of biting can do to nails... it's NASTY.

So for the record, I am on the side of the PROFESSIONAL who is there to oversee EVERYTHING EVERY SINGLE DAY who wishes to save her daughter from the heartache of permanently damaged nails and etc.
Short enhancements to break a BAD AND DIRTY HABIT can hardly be compared to stilletoe shoes and mini-skirts, so get a grip.

I'm going off to bed before I start hurtling insults of my own because I'm truly very disgusted by the behaviour I have witnessed in this thread.

It's one thing to DISCUSS AND DEBATE ideas and opinions.
It's quite another to attack site members and insult them.
It's like a pack of rabid 12yr olds gone mad. (WHOOPS did I insult someone?) :rolleyes:

Well Look at what I missed by not geeking last night!

Thanks Victoria for putting some sense down onto the page ..
AS IF the wearing of nail enhancements had anything to do with morals .. ffs. What a load of old cods wallop!!

Every parent has the right to decide how they want to deal with their own children as far as granting their wishes and there is no right or wrong about that ... the only thing that divides people on the issue is their own personal opinion (which I think we are all still entitled to are we not?).

Little girls are feminine creatures and they want to copy what their moms do because it looks like fun. When I was little I glued paper nail cut-outs on my nails all the time (there were no such things as enhancements) and by the time I was around 12 or 13 I was off down to Woolies with my pocket money to buy 'stick ons' that went on with 'airplane' glue !! My parents thought it was more amusing than 'some dangerous trend'. God some people take things so SERIOUSLY these days and make issues of stuff that at worst is just a bit of fun!

Emmsy .. you are one of the best mums I know because I have seen over the years how dedicated you have been to your children and to their well being. Whatever you are doing you are doing a good job of it I can tell you that!! :hug: Peeps here don't know you like I and many others do and have no right to pass personal comments on these things IN ANY CASE.

When my little granddaughters come here to visit in Spain .. You think we don't do stuff or 'play' nails nails together?? OF course we do and if their mother asked me to enhance their nails I'd do it. Why the heck not? I would enhance them in a suitable way for their age.

I could say plenty about how parents dress their children these days ... 'little hookers' comes to mind .... but I won't, because that is their choice (although be it a far more dangerous one in my opinion than doing their child's nails.) But of course this is just my opinion.:D

Wow a lot of angry posts...

I cannot se anything Immoral in enhancing childrens nails in a length that suits them, I can se the benefit in enhancing if they are biters and cannot really se the difference in painting them and enhancing them.

What on earth makes them less children with nails on??? Nails are not clothes as Gigi says, I have seen children dress, dance and behave in such a way, that I as a parent would cringe if it was my child, but I have never seen a girl with paint, minx whatever and think oh she looks like a Wh***!

I bet Emmsy knows what lenght etc. suits her children and how to avoid make them tacky looking, as I have never seen her nails look tacky. I agree children should be children, and I guess for most of us that's equal avoiding them to send out "sexual vibes" that can get them into bad situations, and tbh. I would like to se (or rather not) nails on a child (or on an adult) that are able to send sexual vibes...

I don't enhance on children, not because it's morally wrong, but because the parents won't pay the price (I think insurance is different here). With that said I have reformed two 10 year old biters and will again if it comes up, I have seen plenty of nailbiters to know that they would have wished someone could have helped them years ago...

Hi geeks I would just like to post a public apology to you emmy, as I think last night posts got a bit personal. I really did not and do not intend to offend you, I would not dream of saying you are a bad mum, so please do not think I would say that. It sometimes gets very hard to explain in posts and texts posts etc can get taken out of context as theres no facial expression or emotion involved.

Again emmsy I do apologise I would be very dissapointed in myself if I have hurt your feelings in anyway, :o:o:o

CND L&P, CND SPA MANICURE & PEDICURE, CND 1-1 SKILL BUILDING, CND MASTERS ROUTE,LIFT PREVENTION, ENHANCMENT REBALANCING, CUSTOM COLOUR BLENDING. HVLP SPRAY TANNING.

RESPECT, Katie. :hug:

Oh dear.... anyone else think this thread should just be pulled now?

Hi geeks I would just like to post a public apology to you emmy, as I think last night posts got a bit personal. I really did not and do not intend to offend you, I would not dream of saying you are a bad mum, so please do not think I would say that. It sometimes gets very hard to explain in posts and texts posts etc can get taken out of context as theres no facial expression or emotion involved.

Again emmsy I do apologise I would be very dissapointed in myself if I have hurt your feelings in anyway, :o:o:o

It would be a lovely world indeed if more people were as big as Katie in admitting to error. Although to be honest, I don't recall your post hun. But I'm sure you didn't 'intend' malice as that is not your way.
:hug:

Oh dear.... anyone else think this thread should just be pulled now?

Why? Why should a post be pulled everytime there is a disagreement? That's way to easy a 'get out' and no one learns anything from it. I for one have learned allot about a few people who have posted on this thread!

Why? Why should a post be pulled everytime there is a disagreement? That's way to easy a 'get out' and no one learns anything from it. I for one have learned allot about a few people who have posted on this thread!

Just because it went from nails to criticing parental methods... seems to have got abit lost. Personally i thought extensions on younger people get more lifting because of their natural oils

Latest posts

Back