An idea, Pics to show thickness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I had an idea.

The other day, I broke my first nail in aaaaaaaaaaages (actually, first broken nail since my experiment with the stilletoes, prior to that, since I fell down the stairs:rolleyes: all 14 of them:lol: ).
I whacked it on the cupboard, when my HUGE glass measuring cup fell and I was trying to catch it from hitting the floor.
Then I realized, "whoah! that's way too thin in the apex. I must have gone file crazy" (when I do my own nails, I do them while watching a movie :rolleyes: and sometimes go 'whoops' afterwards lol).
I didn't realize until after I broke it that it was too thin. It had looked fine.. but then, I have a natural arch to my nails.. so a bit tricky to judge sometimes.

We often get people asking "how thick should it be".
This has got to be one of the more popular questions on here.

So, how about if a couple of you 'vets' or grandmasters take a pic for us.
Sculpt a new nail.
THEN take the clippers, and clip it right off, right at the end of the finger! Remove the free edge completely. (of course, you'll have to resculpt it again after:lol: )
Paint red nail polish or similar dark colour BUT don't cap the edge. It's just so we can see EXACTLY how thick/thin it is without the free edge blending into the surface as it sometimes seems to do in pictures making, it hard to judge.
Take a picture, a barrel shot.
Hey, maybe take one with a ruler next to it that measures in millimeters?:wink2:

Taking one at a 2 or 3wk rebalance won't help, especially if a client's nails grow fast.
And voila. We can see how thick the gel or L&P should be at the apex. More of less..

Any of you 'vets' game for doing this???
I would, but still question myself sometimes, so don't think I'm suited to this task.

Is this a good idea, or am I totally off my rocker?

You dont want much do you Victoria!!!!!!
xxxxxx

:lol:

Me? Nope, Never want much at all

:lol:

I think it's a wonderful idea! I would be interested in seeing this myself!

I think a cross section of the nail is a great idea.There are far too many thick enhancements out there,and imo it's one of the tell tale signs that they are enhanced.

I don't think i am experienced enough to do this,for all to learn from,otherwise i would do it for you.

Interesting idea Victoria !

Fabulous idea !

So who's volunteering then ??? :lol:

Marlise

Great idea Victoria.

I'd be really interested to see this myself, It is always a struggle to know if you have got the thickness 100%. so a pic of something to aim for would be grand.

xx

Fab idea Victoria! Would love to see a pic of a correct apex thickness.

Had an idea of my own!
How about putting a pic of your own up for critique? That way someone experienced could let you know personally if you're working too thick or thin? What do you think?

I've put many of my pics of for critique (although, none too recently).
I know I'm getting there, better all the time. I should post new pics. Need to dredge them up. But don't know that I have any side shots. I usually only take pics for art purposes.

I was just hoping one of our 'experrts' aka 'vets' could post one for us.
:green:

Great idea victoria.

I wouldve volunteer to do a picture but unfortunely my skills at the moment doesnt allow me to. :cry:

Would love to see a picture from someone much more experienced.

I'm due to rebalance my nails either today or tomorrow...
I'll gladly do one but only if you don't pull my apex to pieces lol

Are you looking for a barrel shot?

I'm due to rebalance my nails either today or tomorrow...
I'll gladly do one but only if you don't pull my apex to pieces lol

Are you looking for a barrel shot?

Sandi comes along to save the day again...!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know about 'saving the day' but I'll have a go lol

hehe:lol:

Yes, please, a barrel shot.

whoooooooohooooooooooooooooo
Someone willing to butcher a nail for the sake of our education
:wink2:

Thanks Sandi:!: :hug:

Victoria, thanks for that, I was thinking of that yesterday after my gal broke her P&W sculpts at the tip, thinking I was waaayyyyyyyyy too thin there after having had a look at it.

See, my thought was this.

We can look at barrels and sideview shots till we're purple in the face.
BUT everyone has different shaped nails, flat, curved, inbetween.
So, those pictures don't always demonstrate how thick it should be as the person's who's hand it is.... we don't know the natural nail shape.

And so I figured, a picture like this would show exactly how thick, no matter the shape.

Make sense?

It depends on the nail shape, your apex will be placed slightly differently when doing a stiletto than it would be if you're doing a square shaped nail.

Me again!
Sorry if I didn't make sense earlier! What I was suggesting is that you do a nail how you normally would, then chop it off and post the piccie on here to check if your thickness is ok. Maybe a before you chop and an after you chop photo.

It depends on the nail shape, your apex will be placed slightly differently when doing a stiletto than it would be if you're doing a square shaped nail.

Ahhhh good point!
but note, when I referred to shape, I did not mean the free edge.
I meant the natural c-curve etc of the client's natural nail. Well, maybe not just that, but the sideways view, of the natural nail. How it arches and where from one end to the other.
You understand that I mean?

So... I guess we need two pics.
One of a stilletoe lopped off. (or almond)
And one of a square/squoval lopped off

hehe:lol: and yes, side views of the same nails would be great too.

I don't ask for much, huh?:wink2:

HI there! :) Great idea!

I would like to volunteer! Since i have oval nails lately it wll be interesting to compare the thickness with a square nail.

BUT, can i ask something? is it possible that i take a pic of the cut out free edge (from the apex side of view) instead of the finger? There reason im asking is coz i dont have a cam at home, only a scanner at the office :( but i cant go around with a broken nail all day at the office!

so, i will do the exact same thing: i will paint the clipped free edge red so to see the thickness :) will use a ruler and everything...

is that ok?

NaNA S
x x x

Latest posts

Back