An idea, Pics to show thickness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhh good point!
but note, when I referred to shape, I did not mean the free edge.
I meant the natural c-curve etc of the client's natural nail. Well, maybe not just that, but the sideways view, of the natural nail. How it arches and where from one end to the other.
You understand that I mean?
This could be quite interesting then because I have reasonably flat nails and have to build up my apex to get a nice looking shape.

Beggars can't be choosers
:lol:

I'm sure that myself and a few others would be interested in any pics that demonstrate thickness so clearly.

Woooooohoooooooo, can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hug: :hug:

hi gang, aint been around to post for awhile, but came on and seen this, i agree that this is a good idea, but in my opinion, when you take a pic, the pic always gives a false pic. if you did a nail and clipped like you suggest, the end result could be twice as thick as the actual nail - dont want to put a dampener on the idea at all, but think you should take this into account sweetpea :hug:

Umm

I don't understand what you mean?
I know it would be thicker than the end of the free edge. That I expect. It's the apex we want to see.
Hence why the idea to hold a ruler beside the finger for the pic, to see the measurement in millimeters. :wink2:

Or am I totally misunderstanding what you're saying?:confused:

:hug:

What about doing this 'cross section' demo on a tip? You could almost do the reverse method to show the thickness at the apex. Just a thought.

HI there! :) Great idea!

I would like to volunteer! Since i have oval nails lately it wll be interesting to compare the thickness with a square nail.

BUT, can i ask something? is it possible that i take a pic of the cut out free edge (from the apex side of view) instead of the finger? There reason im asking is coz i dont have a cam at home, only a scanner at the office :( but i cant go around with a broken nail all day at the office!

so, i will do the exact same thing: i will paint the clipped free edge red so to see the thickness :) will use a ruler and everything...

is that ok?

NaNA S
x x x

This lady has a picture up on Nail Critiques that is really thin and well done - with hearts on !!!

I saw it, and it's lovely:!:

But I want to see the end lopped off :lol: :lol:

PS: when I look at one of my fingers sideways, compared to one of my client's who has ultra flat nails... they look is VERY different. And I KNOW the thickness is the same. This is why I want that pic of a nail lopped off.

well i`ll be doing my rebalance at the weekend or if one of my clients have one tommoz i`ll gladly do a pic but like sandi don`t be too harsh on me lol:lol:

Brilliant idea Victoria :hug:

BUMP lol

Anyone have any 'lopped' nails for us to have a gander at?

Pretty please?

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

the more i read this post the more confused i make myself!!!

victoria, you are asking to show the " end lopped off" to show the thickness at the apex.
but,,, the apex isnt at the end of the the nail where it will be lopped off, it is in zone 2 so will you be looking for the thickness at the division between zones 2 and 3, or the thickness at the apex???

as i dont relish the idea of lopping my nail off at the apex!!!!!

my own nails are pretty thin at the smile line ,going even thinner towards the very end of the nail, but my apex is probably a millimeter or so thicker than the rest of the nail in zone 2, then thinning either way towards zones 3 and zones 1,
do i make sense in what im trying to say, or have i just confused everyone including myself even more!!! lol

From here: http://www.salongeek.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=91768
HI, the apex is the thickest part of the enhancment. Usually placed oddly enough at the smile line. However the apex is not a point, but a 'region' halfway between the cuticle line and the free edge line.

Hope this helps ;)

and

If in doubt as to where the stress area (where the apex or thickest part of the product should be placed) is, oress on the free edge of the nail ... where the nail turns white is where the exptra product should be placed. HTH

While we may not get the exact apex with the picture I'm suggesting, we'll have a good approximation, if the nail is cut off/filed off short enough. It's not as if the difference between that spot and the actual apex differs by a couple of centimeters. It's by a very small measurement by which it would differ.

Most of my client's have their smile line pretty close to the end of the finger. Very few (former biters) have their natural smile line any lower than that.

While I think I have the apex thickness right..... I still doubt myself sometimes. Very few clients have breaks - mainly those who are hard on their hands.
If I could compare my own thickness at that point (the point that would be shown in the picture) to someone else's... I'd know better where I'm at.
As I'm sure many geeks would.

As I don't do L&P, saying 1 ball this size here, another ball that size there.. doesn't help me much. I do UV gel, and depending on if it's a builder and how thick that builder is in consistency... or a self-levelling gel and how thin that is... the quantity I get on my brush varies... Sometimes I add more, sometimes I don't apply all that's on the brush and wipe a bit off the edge of the pot.
Particularly since it's sticky stuff and I have to twist the brush to break the string of gel.
Know what I mean?

Hope this explains my quest.
:hug:

Ok, I done one out of interest! Not sure if its too thick or thin (maybe a more experienced geek could let us know please) but they rarely break and if they do they dont hurt.
nail before.jpgBefore lopping
nail after.jpgAfter lopping

Thanks Tracey! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

So, you vet geeks....too thick? or just right? Or what?

See, on my own hands, I know it's much thinner. I'm not a nail breaker, I wore enhancements for a few years. Then had my own nails. Then had meds that made my nails too pliable and they'd tear right off, rather than break.
So back to enhancements.
I know mine are thinner than my clients, in that area.
BUT AGAIN, I'm not a nail breaker. Keep in mind, I'm rough on my hands (at least I think I am, and in the last couple of years, the only ones I've broken were when I fell down the stairs and when I tried stilletoes for the first time. Zero breaks, zero cracks. No kidding)

But what I wonder to myself is: should my clients be as thin as mine, or more like the pic above? Somewhere in the middle?

Hope it helps!

great pic tracey and well done for coming to victorias rescue!!!!
in my opinion, and its only mine,
i think its a teeny bit thick, but that could be the camera, im not sure, but it looks as if it had pounds added on by the camera as its such a close up too,
but otherewise id say that i would have mine this thick i think , the before nail looks nice and thin, so hard to tell really without others to show, being too thick or too thin lol
hth a bit lol

but if i were to stick my neck out, id say ( imo) that mine are like this and i have no breakages !!!

Wonderful, thanks so much, was that gel you lopped off then?

Thanks again, judging from that pic I am working way toooooooo thin.

aj

i'm not an experienced geek but i would say that when i do mine they are just a tiny bit thinner, (only a smidgin!) as when i did my lilac attack nails (in my gallery) i lost them (not like me) they broke near the apex area so i could see the thickness (well lack of!) and they were way too thin, its a fine balance just getting it right not to thick but not to thin to compromise strength, so maybe some more experienced can shed some light!!

Thanks to Tracey for lopping her nail !! xxxxxxx

I chopped my gel sculpt off a few minutes ago :Scared: including my natural nail which I've been growing...
anything to help the Geeks huh? LOL

The pics aren't as clear as Tracey's, but might give you an idea of how I do my apexes...

The 'chopped' nail is an extreme closeup, I've added a black line to show where my gel starts as I sprayed Solar Speed Spray on my nail to speed up the enamel drying as I wanted to get the 'chopping' out of the way and it's made my natural nail appear a tad invisible!!!

Attachments

• sideview.JPG
    sideview.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,154
  • barrel 1.JPG
    barrel 1.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,301
  • barrel 2.JPG
    barrel 2.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,245

Latest posts

Back