Any tips on a perfect French polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonailtech

Reaction score
hi everyone, i was doing a french polish on sat and honestly it was awfull, i dont get much demand for it, most of my clients go for a french overlay anyhoo im just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do a nice smile line with french polish?? and did you all have this problem at the start or is it just me?? ahhh it drives me mad lol think im gonna have to bring my mam in to practice on her again.. also if you guys could tell me what brand is good that would be a great help thanks xx

Hun are you talking about natural nails or false ones? xx

sorry hon im talking about natural nails.. they looked awful to me the client luckily was a friend and she thought they were lovely but the smile line was a disgrace

Hi hun, not sure if this helps much but I can only say what I usually do myself!

I always do 2 brush strokes. One from each side to the middle. I usually do 2 coats of this, and any monor errors you make first time round are usually fixed by the second coat. And don't forget to rest your little finger into the other hand for support.

I'm not the best, but it's practice and a steady hand.

xxx

Hello x
When doing a french manicure to get the smile nice and tidy... when I have applied the white I have a little brush that tapers into a point (I think its an NSI one) I have a small bottle of scrubfresh that I dip the brush in...dap off excess liquid,
Bring my hand to the back of the smile line, and sweep out the smile from the center out....and then the same on the other side..

I believe people use gel brushes for this also....and I also believe that CND nail fresh is better at the job as it evaporates much quicker than scrubfresh, leaving the base coat etc untouched...(haven't tried this myself though yet)

Hth xx

EDIT TO ADD... I do the same as lainy with the balancing as obviously it's important to get the smile as neat as possible to begin with but I do find the scrubfresh way makes a nice crisp line which I like xx

It is tricky and like everything i think it just takes practice. The best way i find is to take the finger between your thumb and forefinger, gently pull the skin away from the nail by gently pinching. I then get my brush ready by applying only a small amount of varnish to the side of the brush. I then place the brush on the nail and at the same time move the finger round so that the varnish is being applied without you having to move the brush.
Some people work with their polish from on side of the nail into the middle and then from the other side back to the middle.
I hope that makes sense hun as it's a bit hard to explain but so easy to demonstrate.

I really did struggle with it in the beggining and found a polish by salon system that was so much easier to work with. They sell it in sallys and its a french manicure kit.

Grab some people and practice practice, it will soon get better and you will be feeling a lot more happier. Good luck with it chick xxx

thanks girls i will try both techniques tommor and i suppose practice makes perfect after that

Same as Ems .... paint on the polish then swipe from behind with another brush ....

It is tricky and like everything i think it just takes practice. The best way i find is to take the finger between your thumb and forefinger, gently pull the skin away from the nail by gently pinching. I then get my brush ready by applying only a small amount of varnish to the side of the brush. I then place the brush on the nail and at the same time move the finger round so that the varnish is being applied without you having to move the brush.
Some people work with their polish from on side of the nail into the middle and then from the other side back to the middle.
I hope that makes sense hun as it's a bit hard to explain but so easy to demonstrate.

I really did struggle with it in the beggining and found a polish by salon system that was so much easier to work with. They sell it in sallys and its a french manicure kit.

Grab some people and practice practice, it will soon get better and you will be feeling a lot more happier. Good luck with it chick xxx

thanks hon i will try this also i have a kit there i think i may have bought it in sallys ill try it with that, ill have all the friends and family driven mad now with practicing on them lol

i would 100% recommend theat you invest in some CND nail fresh!!! the best thing ever for touching up a french manicure..i wouldnt be with out it now, lol!!!
xx

Hi,

I try paint the smile line as nicely as possible...I paint two coats of white then use a cotton tip, dip in acetone and correct the smile line...

hth x x

thanks hon i will try this also i have a kit there i think i may have bought it in sallys ill try it with that, ill have all the friends and family driven mad now with practicing on them lol

Oh wicked! Thats great. You will have a que at your door lol
Good luck, let us know how you get on xxx

thanks for all your great tips, it really is a great help and i will try out all yer suggestions and hopefully one of them will work for me xx

Wow what a great video! Thanks for that.
One question though, Why is it that they make the videos so small it would be really useful to make it larger somehow.
I really need some guinee pigs to practice on now

Latest posts

Back