Are any geeks working christmas eve?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOE!

Reaction score
My boss is opening on christmas eve this year and its a sunday, is any other salons or geeks working? xx

well i don't work it anymore as I get fed up with clients cancelling last minute as they are running behind and haven't got time to get them done. I think it is sad that your salon boss cannot respect the Sunday never mind Christmas. If you all refuse to do it then what can he / she do? If you are not contracted to work Sundays then they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Well i was peed off when i found out. She said she is giving boxing day to us as a holiday to pay for the sunday as it is not a public holiday. Think im going to be really knackered on christmas day!

I'm not either...as its also my daughters birthday and i did it once before and like sassy said...people let you down and mess your day up...no-one minds cos they just make sure they book up in advance the week before xmas....suppose its difficult and different when you work for someone...hope you get something sorted hun..cant be nice. xx

The Sunday is not a holiday but Boking day is, isnt it? That's what I always thought???

I work in an office and we get the Xmas and boxing day off "for free" so to speak as they are both public holidays???

My boss is opening on christmas eve this year and its a sunday, is any other salons or geeks working? xx

No way! I'll work the day before but Christmas Eve is spent with the kids.

not sure if this link helps you or not Public and Bank Holidays | Business Link

Basically if the holiday falls on a weekend then the bank holiday falls on a weekday. So this year the holiday will be the Monday and Tuesday, but it's up to the employer if they pay you or not.

Nope - I'm actually going to take some time off! I work 6 days a week at the moment so will be needed by then I reckon and as I don't normally work Sundays then this one is not going to be an exception. xx

when I was in a salon I did work christmas eve if it fell on a day I usually worked, I dont mind doing a few hours on christmas eve, but maybe it would be worth getting the money up front from clients as I agree that they can be prone to cancelling if they run out of time.

I am not working .. I am planning on taking my little lad on the 'Santa Express' steam train.. I am so looking forward to seeing his little face light up... as I think he will understand the concept of Santa this year :)

I think it depends on your contract as well.
When I worked for the bank they had it in our contract that they could make us work Boxing Day if needed but they had to pay double time so they never did it.

You could always tell them it's against your religion to work on Sundays.

I wouldnt imagine it would be that busy xmas eve, most people are finishing off last minute shopping and trying to get home to family to chill out, it could be a laugh.

I'm working christmas eve, much to the annoyance of DH, but hey ho, its only 10-3!!!!:rolleyes:

I'm not working - i love christmas so much and love getting into the spirit so christmas eve is a biggy for getting all excited and doing the last few bits for me, plus we usually go to my mums who is about and hours drive away so we leave early afternoon and spend the evening with them :green:

I really think if you don't normally work on a Sunday you shouldn't be working. I can't believe your boss actually asking you to do this.

If you have to work make sure you get double time, with it being a Sunday.

in a word - NO - i aint working on a sunday for no bugger - plus we wouldnt have gotten any extra for doing so either

since i`ve been working for myself, an thats 6 years, i`ve never worked on xmas eve, i don`t think your boss should expect you to work on boxing day either.
omg what a slave driver!!!:irked:

Not this year as its a Sunday but i would if it was any other day of the week.

Where i used to work they were open every day of the year because it was part of a hotel. They only closed the spa on xmas day as no-one booked in, I only just managed to get out of working new years day !!

??? WHY be a boss who cracks whips to make staff work on days normally shut, its makes me cringe when reading threads like these, staff have lives too and xmas eve is a day for excited children, and for parents to enjoy seeing that too. my kids are now grown up so i can work the hours i wish to work, but i wouldnt expect my staff to do the same!!

xmas week is a very busy week for us. we are already fully booked. with xmas eve being on a sunday we wont be working on that day. we open tue to sat normally and thats how i keep it. its been years since i had a xmas eve off and new years eve. im looking forward to being one of those folks who run around like a blue arse fly on xmas eve.:lol:

its right that xmas eve clients let you down last minuet, normally new clients; a lesson we have learnt, so its only bookings for my regular clients ive been doing for years. (i know they will turn up!) but being a sunday i decided to take the day off. the week up to the 24th, we are all working 9 - 8 every day, with an hours lunch. my staff have decided this so they can have extra day off for xmas (28th) and another on jan 3rd when its gets a little quieter. i always give a xmas bonus to show my apreciation to all who have worked so hard over the year. without them, my business would not be where it is now.

No way am I working Xmas Eve!! When I had my salon we worked till about 1, but people kept cancelling on me. But I have to say its a lovely atmosphere in the salon on Xmas Eve. But Sunday Xmas Eve...nah thats just wrong!

No way! I'll work the day before but Christmas Eve is spent with the kids.

Right, now I was going to say yes but now you've put it like that I changed my mind!

Teri x

Latest posts

Back