Aren't clients the limit sometimes??. ..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a conversation with an elderly lady which, after explaining what was a NNO and what was a tip and overlay and how much, went something like this:

Me: So you'd like a NNO to strengthen your nails?

Her: Yes. So is that the one that's £30? That's a lot. Is there a discount for OAP's?

Me: No, I'm afraid not.

Her: It's such a lot of money. I usually get mine done at the college cos my daughter's a teacher there. That's much cheaper.

Me: Yes, they are learning.

Her: I know.

Me: Tell you what, I'll give you 10% discount. (Thinking poor old duck on a pension)

Her: Alright. Have you got anything tomorrow?

Me: Can you come at 11?

Her: errrr.....so that's to make them longer is it?

Me: No, that's applying acrylic to your own nail.

Her: Well I want them longer, that's why I rang you.

Me: OK, that's fine, I charge £35 for natural, or do you like French?

Her: Yes I usually have French.

Me: Well then that's £40

Her: WHAT!! Well what's £30 then?

(Another explanation followed :rolleyes: )

Her: Well I'll leave it and think about it.

Me: OK then. If you need an appointment give me a call.

At 11.15 this morning when I had taken the opportunity of a bit of free time after my first appt, I was stripping off beds and the doorbell rang. I looked out of the window and a lady was standing there. Now I'm not being funny but we get so many "religious converters" here I just thought it was another one of those, so I carried on with the bed. My windows were open and I heard her stomping down the path so glanced out to see where she went next. She got in a car that had a man sitting in it outside and started shouting before she even got in it something like "she said there was an appointment at eleven." (Yes dear but you're supposed to say you want it first! :smack: And it was quarter past so you'd have been late anyway!) As she carried on (and I recognised the gruff voice from the telephone conversation yesterday) and slammed the door shut, he shot off like a bat out of hell up the road and I just laughed!

I feel like I've had one hell of a lucky escape!!!

You got to love them! Lovely clients. You can get some real awful ones. Luckily the nice ones outweigh the bad ones.
xxx

i'd rather make money than make my bed :)

I don't know Carl, some clients we can all do without and she sounded like one of those who would expect the £40 service for the £30 price and insist on the 10% discount to boot.
Narrow escape indeed:lol:

ahh bless she was obviously a little confused by it all...it will happen to the best of us.

I see your point to chick...:hug: x

You know what they say don't you?

You can please some people some of the time, but you can't please all people all of the time ... how true that saying is!

i had an elderly lady ring up to book (same predicament as you) wanted a tip and overlay (for the NNO price!!) by the time i'd explained the difference it all for like the 10th time the only time i could fit her in was thursday - that was when she decided she was going on holiday friday and infact she didnt really need the appointment after all!! i hung up baffled!! :mad:

It must be confusing though for people that don't know what they want when we go through all the different treatments, its like me ringing up a plumber - i wouldnt have a clue what he was on about!! xx

sometimes its worth losing the money than having the "client from hell " :lol: , i think you were right to carry on , pmsl !!

sometimes its worth losing the money than having the "client from hell " :lol: , i think you were right to carry on , pmsl !!

Ditto!

While it's not good business sense to turn business away, sometimes it's not worth the aggravation to take that business in.
Hence the bonus of being our own bosses....

I'm hazarding a guess that she would constantly have been looking to get the same price as at the college... and you would have been discussing prices at every appointment. She hadn't even met you, and was looking for a rebate right off the bat. And then the cheek of telling you she didn't want an appointment, then she shows up anyway 15min late?
Can you imagine what kind of booking nightmare she would have been?:eek:

No thanks.
Me thinks you made a narrow escape.
I would have kept on making the bed too:lol:

When someone calls me and says "well, it's such and such at so-and-so's(usually the name of an nss)", I tell them politely, "my services are different and priced accordingly yet competitive with places that offer the same QUALITY of services".

As said, there is no pleasing some people.
And I figure: if they can afford a car, they can afford nails and the prices that go with them.

I completely agree with Victoria!!

Lucky escape I reckon.

For all she knew you could have easily have booked in another client for11.am.
Who do these people think they are just turning up expecting a service without an appointment. Cheeky sod.

:hug:

Discount for OAP's:eek: I've only been asked that once, to which I replied 'No, I only offer discount if you have a finger missing'.:lol:

No discounts for anyone I'm afraid.

Discount for OAP's:eek: I've only been asked that once, to which I replied 'No, I only offer discount if you have a finger missing'.:lol:

So if I turned up with only 9 fingers, would you actually give me a discount ?? :lol: :lol:

Marlise

You did the right thing. This lady would have p----d me off no end!:irked:

thats just perfect :lol:

i assume it would be 10 %:)

Thanks for all your replies! It's good to hear so many of you think she would have been difficult! No one wants to turn business away but hey. . . . what price your sanity? :lol:

I would have given her the benefit of the doubt just this once.
She may have been a bit confused but you may have lost a regular client just to change your bedding.
Some of my "confused" old ladies are my best clients..and very good tippers.
Sometimes they appreciate your company as much as they love their nails.

I would have given her the benefit of the doubt just this once.
She may have been a bit confused but you may have lost a regular client just to change your bedding.
Some of my "confused" old ladies are my best clients..and very good tippers.
Sometimes they appreciate your company as much as they love their nails.

I agree Judy some of my best clients are elderly too.

But someone who haggles on the telephone about prices, says you're too expensive and doesn't want an appointment, and then turns up for one that she hasn't made anyway - and 15 minutes late at that!)

That's one I'll gladly do without thanks! :lol:

I think she would rather have her blood pressure in the normal level. :lol:

close Call..Whew! There are just some people You Don't want in your life no matter the price.

Latest posts

Back