Bedtimes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Not trying to start arguments about the right time for kids to go up the wooden hill, but out of interest, if you have kids, what time do they go to bed and how old are they?

Mine are 8 and 10, they go at the same time but my elder one reads for a bit . . . they go about 8.30 on a school night and 9.30 weekend, sometimes a bit later

Just interested to hear what others do . .

13 yr old goes to bed at 9.30pm and 11 yr old goes to bed at 8.30pm. On Friday and Saturday night they pretty much stay up until they fall asleep where they sit/lie which is about 10.30/11ish.

My daughter is 6 ,bed times have been a sore subject with her for a long time,it was about 10 oclock she was finally dropping off,now since shes been back to school its about 9 which is a bit better ,in an ideal world id like her to be asleep for 8,she will play in her bedroom out of the way so its not as if shes under our feet till that time,weekends she goes to sleep when shes ready to go.

My daughter is seven and I aim to get her into bed by 7 o'clock. Then we both read to each other for a little while and lights out about 7.30.

At the weekend it's a bit later but tbh, she is much more manageable and much more happy when she's not tired. It's something I feel strongly about, little kids can't cope with what's expected of them at school if they're over tired. Ditto if they don't eat properly.

Jmho :)

my grandaughter is 14 months old and goes to bed at 7pm. when my own were young - if my memory serves me right, when they were school age, it was round about 7.30pm (5 year old) then by 11 year old it was 8.30pm-9pm (school night) friday and sat, they stayed up till late. (i was on my own with them then, so friday night was freeby night, they could do what they wanted, and go to bed when they wanted, tho usualy it wasnt any later than 10.30pm). crikey that was hard trying to think back that long ago lol

Both my girls must be in their room at 730pm on a weeknight.. aside from one night where they can watch a programme till 830pm.

once they are in their room they can read play whatever for an hour .. catch up on home work.. just have a bit of me time for themselves..they have seperate rooms..
i go in at 830pm tuck them in and say g'night..

weekends they drop where they fall.. Or so they think.. hehe.. i allow them free reign to play watch movies or hang out with me.. but normally they fall asleep in fron of the box..

My girls are 7 and 9 and have the same bed time.. if i put my youngest to bed earlier she would play up.. so they both get an hour to play.. my eldest reads normally and my youngest passes out.. and i get from 830 onwards to clean up after them.. lol..

mine are 7 and 10 ,the go to bed around eight but watch cartoon network etc for bout an hour, this keeps them from keep comin down, goin to the loo etc till they fall asleep, bless em, love em....:green:

My grandson is 22 weeks old and the 4 days he spends with us i have him a routine. Most of the time he will sleep while around 5-6am but sometimes he wakes and wants a bottle/water or just his dummy.
Any time from 8pm till 9pm he has his bath, bottle and bed, its not ideal and i woud like it earlier but its difficult as he has no routine when with his mum!

As for my 2 lads who are now 19 & 20 the eldest was and still is a nightmare, he has ADHD and never sleeps properly and seems to sleep through the day and awake through the night.

My youngest could and still can fall asleep standing up! he works 6/7 days a week 7am to 4pm comes home, has his tea and goes bed for 2 hours, he then gets up and pays a visit to his mates but is usually home and back in bed by 9pm lol Whatever time he was put to bed he would always stay and fall asleep within minutes.

I get my 3yr old in bed for 7.30 - 8pm on a school night and friday she is normally ready for bed by 8-9pm. Saturday nights she is in bed for 9-10pm so we can have a lie in on sunday morning. Before she was at nursery she went to bed 8-9pm most nights but has been known to be running around at 11pm some nights.

My 3 year old is normally in bed for 7ish, 8 year old for 7.30 and then my boys 12&11 have to be in bed by 9, atm I am sending them at about 8.30 as they are tired since starting back at school. Weekends are a little more relaxed, but only a little as otherwise monday morning wouldn't work well for us. They are all always up in the morning between 6-30 and 7.

My daughter is seven and I aim to get her into bed by 7 o'clock. Then we both read to each other for a little while and lights out about 7.30.

At the weekend it's a bit later but tbh, she is much more manageable and much more happy when she's not tired. It's something I feel strongly about, little kids can't cope with what's expected of them at school if they're over tired. Ditto if they don't eat properly.

Jmho :)
I'm with you. It was 7.30 untill she was 10. Then it went upto 8pm, now at 13 she goes to bed at 9.30, but I'm not as strict about a bed time as I used to be.
Besides the child getting a good nights sleep, I think it's even more important fo mum to get that bit of quiet time at night.:)

Twins are 4 and go to bed at 7 ~ 7.30pm every night even weekends.
11 year old goes to bed at about 8.30pm sunday to thursday and maybe 10pm friday and saturday.
To me there is nothing worse than a child who is tired and cranky so i make sure that my kids get enough sleep.
I see people with kids that are twisty and they say that they are tired, when i have asked some of them when there little ones go to bed they will say a decent time but then add that the kids sit watching tv in bed for another however many hours :eek: not the childs fault then is it.
My kids don't have a tv in their bedrooms cos i just don't feel they would benefit from it and they don't have a problem with it at all.
Well rested kids are happy and healthy :green:

My eldest who is 4 goes to bed on a school night 7.30pm and my youngest who is nearly 3 goes to bed at 7pm.
Friday and Saturday night they get an extra 15mins-30mins.
They both get up at 6am their choice, so I ensure they stick to their bedtime routine.

My girls will be 4 & 6yrs old at the end of this month (October).

We stick to routines around here, and 'schedules'. Makes life simpler.

No matter the day of the week, it goes like this:

7pm bath (every 2nd night).
7:30 clean up toys
7:45 head upstairs to brush teeth and put on jammies, then it's one story and 2 or 3 wee children's songs.
By 8:15 they are tucked in, kissed and hugged and the door shut and we don't hear a peep out of them until the next morning.

During the week, they get up at 6:30, but often my eldest wakes before then. I often have to tell her not to wak her sister, as the younger one likes to sleep more.

Critters of habit around here.

:hug:

PS: no tv in their room, no toys except teddybears and lots of books for them to 'read'. There will NEVER be a tv in their room. We are against that. We like to monitor how much tv they watch.

Both my 2 like their beds, Harry is 5 in December and Millie will be 3 1/2 in December, on school nights they both have supper at 5.30, upstairs for a bath every other night at 6, story then bed by 6.45. On weekends we would allow them to stay up a bit later but they ask to go to bed so Im not going to stop them! Bless!

Both are fairly early risers, Harry will be up by 6.30 most mornings and Millie around 7 ish!

xxx

ღMandyღ;643466 said:
Twins are 4 and go to bed at 7 ~ 7.30pm every night even weekends.
11 year old goes to bed at about 8.30pm sunday to thursday and maybe 10pm friday and saturday.
To me there is nothing worse than a child who is tired and cranky so i make sure that my kids get enough sleep.
I see people with kids that are twisty and they say that they are tired, when i have asked some of them when there little ones go to bed they will say a decent time but then add that the kids sit watching tv in bed for another however many hours :eek: not the childs fault then is it.
My kids don't have a tv in their bedrooms cos i just don't feel they would benefit from it and they don't have a problem with it at all.
Well rested kids are happy and healthy :green:

my kids are more than happy and healthy prob the must adjusted kids i know!! and a little tv or a film before bed never makes them 'twisty' ?? they drop off in no time and still wake up at the crack of dawn!!! not only that they have the best sense of humour i have ever witnessed!!!:green:

My daughter was 13 in April. During the week its bed at 9 and lights out at 10 and at weekends half an hour later.

Some of her friends are much later than this, but I know her and she needs her sleep or she is a grumpy bunny all the next day. :hug:

You know yourself how much sleep your kids need.

Also she does not have a TV or computer in her room (sore subject) but I am strongly against any kind of electronic stimulation in a childs bedroom as it distracts them from the imporant thing which is sleep, also she has to leave her mobile down-stairs since I caught her at 11.30 pm one night texting her friends.

Thanks for all your replies, they made interesting reading! Any more very welcome

5 year old goes at 7pm, 7 year old goes at 8pm, 10 year old goes at 9-9.30pm

With the younger 2 it doesn't matter what time they go to bed they still get up at 6.30am so the earlier to bed the better!

The eldest will sleep in on the week ends, just like his mum....I wish the other 2 would cotton on to that!

Our 8 year old daughter ruled the roost until the last school holidays, we used to argue like cat and dog and she didn't have a bed time, then after one almighty row, my husband just said 'you know what this is a joke... im not having it any more, bedtime is 8pm on school nights, 9 pm on weekends' and that was that, we have never looked back.No more arguments (well alot less !!) and everyone is happy and rested.She loves bedtime because i read one night then her dad reads the next, then she goes to sleep... just like that ... its magic !!!!!!

Latest posts

Back