California Flare And Stiletto (pics)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nanny,

OMG I would never thought that I would see you post here, You're one brave soul LOL.

all I can is at the end of the day when you have that $$$$ in your hands, and every single one of the clients handing it over with a smile, and you can say that you kick alota azz cause you got it from doing nails just like everyone else, that all that matters.

one thing I know for sure, clients with flare nails are much more proud, and more appreciative of their nails, and not to mention they are much more loyal because it say everything about them (loud and proud) I guess it's true that they say "Your clients is a reflection of you"

Awesome arts a usual.
XOXO
J Pham

one thing I know for sure, clients with flare nails are much more proud, and more appreciative of their nails, and not to mention they are much more loyal because it say everything about them (loud and proud) I guess it's true that they say "Your clients is a reflection of you"

I have to say you lost me slightly there. I used to have single colour NNO, P&W, fun french and all in the conventional shapes. I was always hugely proud of my nails and extrememly loyal to my very talented tech. In fact my husband booked an appointment with her for 4 days after I left hospital with my youngest son, so desperate was I for my nails to look fab and make me proud in all those baby pics people wanted to take when they visited :lol:

Wow these are, um, different. I don't like the flare itself, personal preference. BUT the artwork is amazing!!! LOVE the artwork!! Keep up the good work.

this is my first attempt, Inspired by Lynn Lammers cover in October, in NAILs...what do you think, I should of filed more off the sides, I know, and my smile lines are not my best, as i was having brush issues lol, but all in all, I am personally very excited about my custom blend pink, I used 3 colours together to get the right blend :)
am not sure if the attachment worked but you can see it in my Gallery, see in my Permant Nail Art page :)
Happy Filing ladies :)

Well if the Americans are leading the world around the "S" bend financially, they may as well ruin the Nail Industry with this look as well :lol:

Pardon? I thought this was a place to share Nails ideas and be respected as an individual and a professional that we could get honest feedback no matter where you come from or how many years of experience you have?

Last edited:
Pardon? I thought this was a place to share Nails ideas and be respected as an individual and a professional that we could get honest feedback no matter where you come from or how many years of experience you have?

I think, if I'm honest, that they would have looked a lot nicer if you had used your custom blend to extend the nailbeds. They are wide which you said yourself but they would immediately look better with a longer nailbed so the propertions would be better.

In my eyes anyway x

:hug::hug:

I agree, but ugly nails are ugly nails....... and unless someone has the balls to say they are ugly, we may feel obligated to follow, there aint nuthin pretty about them.

Someone may be a proud technician to do them, someone may be a proud client to wear them, (and kudos to either of them), but they is still ugly nails.

It interesting to think otherwise, these are the kinda nails we distanced ourselves from years ago, don't tell me it's time time to embrace them now, I for one have far too much pride to blindly follow such an ugly "attempt" at a trend.

Aaaaaaargh, who revived this thread, I've only just got over the last time I saw these nails.

I get so depressed, I spend all my time trying to perfect the most natural looking nail. I have nothing against colour or long nails...........but not these looks.

Did I look at the wrong picture in the gallery? I thought the nails in question were a first attempt at stiletto's?

Thanks you for your input, that all I ask for,
if you do not like the Stiletto style or is it that you do not think my application of the type is done correctly, it is not that hard to be a honest critic, and being supportive, and saying things like “I am not into that type of nail”, or “I like what you did but maybe you can try to do this differently”, and maybe explain what you thought you would have done to make it more true to the style. Or the old fashion saying, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all I think this one is globally known?.

The client I did these nails on did have very short beds, and I did lengthen them beyond her original smile line, my client didn’t want me to make the beds that dramatic as well as the cover of the shape seen on Mags, and actually I didn't put enough pink on a couple of nails, they are still a bit translucent, ops (it is so hard to even find a client to practice on, that would even wear this type of nail).

(And yes we Canadians are so conservative, and behind in times, but I do try to be the one to start things around here, and do look up to the UK & the US for inspiration)

I think I got now here they are,
outerimages%20551462408.jpg

Last edited:
outerimages%20551462406.jpg

yes this is my first attempt,

Last edited:
I was talking about the flare nails (shape) themselves, not the technician, nor their skills.
I'm all for encouraging techs, but i'll leave it up to others to encourage the flare look.
I didn't mean to offend any techs...

I'm sorry, but personally, they are not my cup of tea either..

If you do want some critique, not sure if its already been said, i didnt read the whole thread, the 1st thing i noticed right away was your smiles could do with a bit of work.. I am not really too familiar with this shape so cannot really critique much..

Well done for posting tho.. :)

Thanks you for your input, that all I ask for,
if you do not like the Stiletto style or is it that you do not think my application of the type is done correctly, it is not that hard to be a honest critic, and being supportive, and saying things like “I am not into that type of nail”, or “I like what you did but maybe you can try to do this differently”, and maybe explain what you thought you would have done to make it more true to the style. Or the old fashion saying, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all I think this one is globally known?.

The client I did these nails on did have very short beds, and I did lengthen them beyond her original smile line, my client didn’t want me to make the beds that dramatic as well as the cover of the shape seen on Mags, and actually I didn't put enough pink on a couple of nails, they are still a bit translucent, ops (it is so hard to even find a client to practice on, that would even wear this type of nail).

(And yes we Canadians are so conservative, and behind in times, but I do try to be the one to start things around here, and do look up to the UK & the US for inspiration)

I think I got now here they are,
outerimages%20551462408.jpg
I think you would've done better to start your own thread to show them. Comments towards flare nails are seeming to be directed towards you nails.
On your nails, you're are difinately more comfortable with square nails, they are really good.
The line of light on the stillettos is really good, the nailbed on the ring finger doesn't seem to be extended as much and I think that you probably could've gotten a better shape with your form placement.

Thanks ladies for taking the time to post your review :)
I will keep working on it.
xoxoxox

I Really Love Your Stilettoes. I'm Afraid Being From Uk, The Flared Nail Isn't A Pretty Shape For Us, But I Do Like Your Colours. Would Love To See More X

i agree the colours are great but not my cup of tea,i love the stilettoes hun.xx

I cant stand flared nails, my own opinion though, they just dont look pleasing at all to the eye. Enhacements should do just that, enhance the natural nails, make the nails look elegant, not like spades. xxx

The french on the stilletos is badly placed and chops the nail in half, try moving it further towards the free edge or as has been suggested try a custom blend on the pink.

Last edited:
I lived in southern California forever, all my life.
I've only been doing my job, nails, for going on 17 years.
I give my clients what they want with a twist.
Call it old fashioned, call it traditional.
I cannot stand fat fingernails. Maybe for a costume/dress up, Halloween scary surprises.
I offer, my extensive clientele recieve all of the latest: glitter/sparkle/mylar/embedded/funktified nail art. (just about anything I get my fingers on).
I don't do reversed fat/wider at the end nails, no matter what they claim they want. I just can't go there.
Nails that are excessively curved and look like elephant tusk are just not my case of beer. WHAT?
Anyway, we all have to earn a living some how and if it works, it works.
Don't get me wrong, I've had request for these types of nails and I refer them out.
So, I guess what Im trying to say, these far-out nails are not what I would ever offer in either of my businesses.
In closing I have to admit, I have seen other nails/art that the original poster had done and her work is outstanding. She does things that no one else has the balls to try and I applaud her for stepping out of the so-called "norm".

www.luciasalon.com

Awesome, I'm in Nor Cal!
Ahh I love stilettoes! I have them a lot, but I can't have them too long because it gets too hard to type and I tutor at my college (they pay attention to my nails instead of their paper!) I saw a bunch of people with stilettoes at the Sacramento Nail Expo this year! They all looked really nice!

I didn't know the Flare look was a CA thing. Honestly, I don't like it, but then again I don't even like square tips to begin with. Nice designs though, very colourful!

Latest posts

Back