Can I file off the natural nail free edge under the product?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannipatch

Reaction score
I have been asked today by a client to file her natural nail at the back of the extension with my e-file.
I refused explaining that I would not be comfortable trashing her natural nails. My client was very unhappy retorting that her last technician always done this. I explained that my Insurance company would be very unhappy with this type of practise but she was not having it and got quite irate. I tried to explain why but could not get my point across as she kept getting louder and talking over me saying my Insurance company would never know and she hated the yellow of her natural nail in behind and always had this done with other technicians, that I was the only one who refused and she had her nails done all over the world.
She was totally adamant about this and this has got me wondering "have I missed something all of this time". Now I mean she wanted the e-file to completely take off her natural nail. She was cross and I think I have lost her because of this. I did get this done on my own nails in Canada but I was unhappy that they had cut off my own nail with the e-file. My question is, am I wrong or right?

i think you were definately right! :hug: Our job is to enhance not trash the natural nail.

Hmmm, well a few tech's in my time have filed away my nail from the underside of an enhancement. This was mainly due to the fact my nails discolour easily and did, I admit, look quite awful at the back of an other wise very nice set of P&W's. It never occurred to me it should be a problem they did it at the time as it looked so much better.

That said, now I use oil regularly my nails don't discolour much and but it wasn't until after I went to Norway in 2000 that I knew about oil. That was because Anne Vera asked me if I used it and was met with a very blank expression. She gifted me a bottle and did periodically after that.

I think it's client education that could be the key?

Do you mean to file off the free edge from the underside of the enhancement ?
I have heard of this being done.
If done correctly would it not be ok ?
All you would be doing would be removing the free edge same as you would with a hand abrasive if the enhencement was not there.

I can't see that as trashing the natural nail .
I may be wrong,
I am not stating it IS ok, just asking IF it is :hug:

I can't see that as trashing the natural nail .
I may be wrong,
I am not stating it IS ok, just asking IF it is :hug:

I wondered this too, if your client doesn't like the look of her nails under an enhancement and opted to have a soak off and new set you''d have to trim the nail anyway? Still in my case it was the discolouration so as its not longer a problem I dont worry about my nails growing down underneath x

I wondered this too, if your client doesn't like the look of her nails under an enhancement and opted to have a soak off and new set you''d have to trim the nail anyway? Still in my case it was the discolouration so as its not longer a problem I dont worry about my nails growing down underneath x

I have had this done on my nails in the past too. She used a slow speed and a bit that was gentle enough to use on my skin (she tested it to show me) so I can't see how it would be a problem....

Thanks for your replys. Emmysbabes I really don't know if it is ok. I have never done it before or been asked to do it. This was her 4th Maintenance so her natural nails are nearly the same length as the tips.She wanted me to insert the cone carbide in the underside of the nail and drill it completely off so she would have no natural nail showing. Yes I have used the under nail carbide cleaner to clean up the nails but have never drilled them completely away. Just gently cleaned up. When a new client comes to me for Extensions most move on to a soak off leaving nice long natural nails. They then move on to natural nail overlays. I just wanted to know your thoughts on this. What I meant when I said in my previous post that I did not want to trash her nails, this was because she informed me at her first appointment that the place she had got her nails done had destroyed her natural nails, she wanted her own nails to grow under the extensions and have overlays.

cant you just cut the nails right down before enhancing?

Thank you for your reply. I do cut the natural nails short, (in this case I did not have to as she had no free edge and as previously stated wanted her own nails to grow with natural nail overlays applied eventually) shape, apply tips and then acrylic. Today was her fourth maintenance, therefore the growth of her natural nails.

I think you miss read the thread and missed the point chick.

This is the ladies 4 th appointment so her natural nail is almost as long if not the same length of her enhancements.

What she wanted (treatment wise) was for her natural nail to be gently filed away from under the enhancements using an e-file.

In response to the original question i have done this before and it can be done quite safely by using a slow speed and not going too far under the enhancement. It tidies it up and more or less looks just like a new set.

Have to say i cant stand the look of my natural nails under enhancements as they look a little discoloured and occasionaly file it away but if i dont have enhancements i dont mind the look and colour of my natural nails.

I love learning new tricks here, so I guess it's about time that I've shared one of my own......

A soak in a manicure bowl with a Polident denture tablet makes the natural nail under an enhancement all sparkly white again. Just give it a good brushing with a nail brush and.....

Ta Da!!!

You're welcome:wink2:

I love learning new tricks here, so I guess it's about time that I've shared one of my own......

A soak in a manicure bowl with a Polident denture tablet makes the natural nail under an enhancement all sparkly white again. Just give it a good brushing with a nail brush and.....

Ta Da!!!

I just found the MSDS for Polident, and it says that mild skin irritation may occur. I've never had it happen to myself, but maybe my 'trick' is better left unused on the general public.

When a new client comes to me for Extensions most move on to a soak off leaving nice long natural nails. They then move on to natural nail overlays

Why would you soak off just to do a NNO? if the tip has fully grown out then she'll have NNO by that stage anyway... seems pointless to me to soak off to re-apply?

PHP:
Why would you soak off just to do a NNO? if the tip has fully grown out then she'll have NNO by that stage anyway... seems pointless to me to soak off to re-apply?

I agree! It would be like a hairdresser stripping out all the old colour, only to reapply the same colour again!

Filing off the old free edge is not going to cause filing damage to the natural nail because you are actually removing it. The damage we are more worried about causing is the nail that sits over the nail bed. The damage that may occur is that if you are not careful you can cuase trauma to the nail and get some derailing or even onycholysis, and this is why it is frowned upon in some circles.

If you are not sure of a procedure then do not get into an argument with your client! Just say that it is something that you have not heard of and would like to just check it out before going ahead, and that when you have checked it out you wil get back to her. Other Techicians often do stuff that beggers belief just to keep the client happy (or cut corners for the sake of speed), so never let a client dictate to you what you can and can't do, BUT don't be too unbending or you will lose the client.

well... at first i thought you meant the natural nail by the cuticle she wanted sanding away.... lol.... i use my drill to remove discouloured nail from under the extensions.... if you use a slow speed, and are very careful it shouldnt do any harm if they plan to keep there extensions on. i think it looks awful when you catch sight of a yellow nail under a beautiful pink and white..

Ahhhh i see now! sorry i thought you ment at the back of the nail at the cuticle!! :o No if its under the nail then i dont think it should be a problem so long as its done right. Sorry about that.....i feel all embarrassed now! :)

Ta Da!!!

Back in the days when I used to have net curtains at my windows I used to soak them in sterident (false teeth cleaner) and they used to shine that bright it hurt your eyes lol I was always complimented on how white they were, didnt make me keep them up any longer than I had to though but thats another story lol

So has your client now decided not to have NNO's ?
It is strange isn't it, some people love seeing the free edge under as it shows them how long their nails are getting, others can't bare it.

In response to the original question i have done this before and it can be done quite safely by using a slow speed and not going too far under the enhancement. It tidies it up and more or less looks just like a new set.

Have to say i cant stand the look of my natural nails under enhancements as they look a little discoloured and occasionaly file it away but if i dont have enhancements i dont mind the look and colour of my natural nails.

Pip, what kind of bit are you using for this? I'm running into this issue with a number of my clients (plus, I HATE it when my natural nail shows underneath on myself!)

Thanks
Dawn

So has your client now decided not to have NNO's ?
It is strange isn't it, some people love seeing the free edge under as it shows them how long their nails are getting, others can't bare it.

I agree, it is strange how different their reactions can be to seeing their own nail growing up on the back of the enhancement. Some get quite excited don't they . . . others (the ones with discoloured nails I guess lol) start going eeeurgh . . . :lol:

Mannipatch, I wouldn't be able to do this for them as I don't use an e-file, but I have several clients who would probably pay me extra to get rid of their own nail off the back of the enhancement lol! It's not really trashing their own nail, and as I think someone has already said, the only other way to get rid of it is to soak off, trim the nails back and start again, so either way you're getting rid of the free edge. I'd do what they want if I were you. :hug: They'll love you for it.

Latest posts

Back