Can I file off the natural nail free edge under the product?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done this on request in the past, I have only had one client ask for it. I was taught this on my e-file course.

When I used to have my nails done, before I knew anything about enhancements the tech I went to did this. However, she didn't do it very well and on more than one occasion cut me or left me with blisters, she used to sort of pinch the tip of my finger together as aposed to pulling the finger tip away from the underside of the nail, xx

I didn't read everything...

but I know you can e-file the natural nail under your set, it's not a big deal, and especially if the client request it. I always file off minefor estetic reasons too (and to have a clear free edge sometimes).

it's also a great thing for hooked nails as you can make more beautiful thongs doing so ;)

but I guess I'm just repeating lol

Pip, what kind of bit are you using for this? I'm running into this issue with a number of my clients (plus, I HATE it when my natural nail shows underneath on myself!)

Thanks
Dawn

It all depends on the shape of the nail as to what bit I use, most often i use a barrel and then for the edges i will use a small cone.HTH

Many clients ask for this, it's no big deal.

Natural nails do tend to absorb (shall we say crap)?

Natural food colourings etc, if they want it gone .... I take it off.

You can even reseal the underside with a coating of gel topcoat (which makes them glossy and have less ability for shyte to adhere).

Even though I've seen some clients come in with half their lunch under their nails, it's quite disgusting, but they do.

i have done this to clients, but sometimes if you file too much and there is a little gap between the natural nail and the acrylic you can get lifting happening from the free edge up the middle of the nail. I usually just tidy up any lose nail and recommend they get a nail brush and scrub the underside to keep them clean.

Why would you soak off just to do a NNO? if the tip has fully grown out then she'll have NNO by that stage anyway... seems pointless to me to soak off to re-apply?[/quot

I understand what your asking. She would not have an NNO if I filed away the free edge under the extension.
Maybe I worded my previous post wrong.
I don't soak off with everyone obviously, but with hairdressers (hair dyes), tanning technicians (some tans after a while seem to discolour the acrylic) I soak off if I have to. I agree with you totally I would not soak off a perfectly good set just to re-apply. :)

Why would you soak off just to do a NNO? if the tip has fully grown out then she'll have NNO by that stage anyway... seems pointless to me to soak off to re-apply?[/quot

I understand what your asking. She would not have an NNO if I filed away the free edge under the extension. Maybe I worded my previous post wrong.
I agree with you totally I would not soak off a perfectly good set just to re-apply.

Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick then, sorry....
When a new client comes to me for Extensions most move on to a soak off leaving nice long natural nails. They then move on to natural nail overlays

sounded like you did this as normal practice with most clients. Do you think she'll come back?

Hi i am new to this site... i quite reguarly on all my clients file the nail under the acrylic at the tip.. i find if i dont do this the nail at a stage will start to lift away... having said that... if the client has french i only file away any of the lifted natural nail and the discouration but if they have plain and dont alway wear a colour ontop i will only do it lightly as you can sometimes see the difference from the top.... i also find filling from underneath helps with my thickness of the tip too bringing the tip back up when it starts to curl down naturally...

having said all this i did however find out last night if a client doesnt like filing the nail away which some dont... they can clean it with a denture toothpaste.. i think someone else on this thread said a tablet too... so we learn soemthing new every day :)

Latest posts

Back