Card Machines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch4rli3

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a card machine??

I am a Permanent Make up Technician and travel round to different salons, however, so far I have been putting my clients payments through the salons card machines and although the salons are quite happy to do this, I think it would be far easier if I could have my own machine for clients to pay through......

Im not very clued up on card machines etc so any info anyone can give would be very helpful!

If you don't have a landline Silverpay are very good. Most of their client base are taxi drivers but they cater for a lot of beauty therapists, etc, too x:)

I'm with cardsave and i like it.

I have a mobile terminal which can be used anywhere you can get a mobile phone signal. They work on either O2 or vodafone i think.

You'd need a business account and have to pay for the machine and any charges obviously so it might work out better costwise for you to stay as you are since your not having any problems.

I do have a business account, Just wasnt sure if I have to go through the bank to get a card terminal.

At the moment, I have to wait for money to go through in salon account and then they give me a cheque, bit of a long process really so think a card machine would be better!

I have a 123 SEND. Brilliant. xxx

Do they cost alot? i've considered getting one is all and it would all depend on how much they cost if i'd bother getting one

silverpay... great.... never had any problems

My advice would be to speak to all the companies you can, find the ones that suit your needs best and look them up on search to make sure people liked them.

Most of my clients pay by card and the charges come out of my account. Mobile is more expensive but i can't recall how much.

A lot of them have contracts too and you have to pay if you want to get out of it early.

I spoke to my bank, and then a couple of other independents and the FSB deal. Then I showed these proposals to my local CardSave rep who gave me a better deal. It may have worked the other way round but the point is that the smaller companies seemed to be prepared to compete harder for my business.

I have a GPRS terminal - yes it is a little pricier on a monthly basis I recon about 60% customers use it and retail upsells are easier too. I can use it in any country too! And you know exactly where the money is if cashflow is tight.

Jason.

You need a business bank account.

Through FSB, sign up to Streamline. The rates you get depend on how much you forecast you income of card payments.

Through FSB, you can get the 123Send GPRS mobile card terminal, about £25 per month.

The combination of all these 3 are by far the best around. I have no issues with the machine at all.

I agree, FSB is definetely worth the money and all the advice and help you can get. You even get reduced rates for the bits you need ie card terminal and other essentials :hug:

Im a big fan of the FSB and would encourage all business owners to join! I have my terminal on the FSB / 123 Send deal.

Merchant account is with Streamline (no setup fee or monthly charge with FSB)
Terminal is rented from 123 Send at 22 pounds a month

The terminal is GPRS wireless so can be used anywhere you want, and the battery lasts a long time between charges.

Definately worth getting.

Mat

I can add to the FSB fan club as I have my Streamline terminal through them as well. I could not do without it. Only last night one of my regulars said how convenient that I had one (as I work from home) and that she does not think of having to get money out after a long day at work.:)

I have looked into the 123 send terminals, and am waiting to hgear back from few others to compare.

Last edited:
Hi Kim and other salon geeks I just wondered what the 123 Send was all about as im Currently using a PDQ terminal myself but finding rates are too high and with the minimum monthly service charge and rentals all abit to costly any Advice would be great thankyou

A summary of the 123 Send service and agreement through the Federation of Small Businesses.

• Terminal is Chip & PIN, can also be used for Mail Order / Telephone orders if card holder not present
  • No phone line required ... fully mobile, use anywhere in the UK
  • Money from terminal payment is transferred to your bank account within 2-3 days
  • Setup fee: £25
  • Monthly rental: £22.50
Transaction fee's (per transaction):

• UK Maestro & Solo: 34.5p
  • Visa Debit, Visa Electron, MasterCard Debit: 35p
  • Maestro International: 2%
  • Mastercard Credit: 2%
  • Visa Credit: 1.98%
  • Commercial Cards: 2.5%
  • JCB: 2.5%
All prices and charges ex VAT.

Latest posts