cervical cancer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was about 23 I kept on going to the Doc with symptoms in the regions....they kept on telling me there was nothing wrong....until I saw a locum lady doctor who examined me and could see straight away all was not good....she took a smear...I think I'd had one in the past, results came back as CIN3, I think full blown cancer is CIN5.....I was sent for colposcopy straight away and was in for a cone biopsy within weeks to remove the cells and part of my cervix by surgery....I was too far gone for laser...

I had to have regular 6 monthly smears after that for 3 years ...I was lucky and I've had loads of reminders about my smear...I've just reminded myself why I must go.

Blimey...I have just Googled CIN3 and I remember at the time they told me it was carcinoma in situ...no wonder they had me in so quick!

This was also exactly my situation at age 22.....thankfully I have been fine ever since, but never miss that smear now. I am still tested annually.

I was also scanned very regularly during pregnancy because of potential cervical incompetence which is apparently considerably higher amongst women who have had cone biopsy's or loop incisions previously....so its not just your future health at stake. I wasn't thinking of a family at age 22, but I was warned that if I hadn't had it sorted than, I could have faced more problems.

thanks for the lovley replies and pm,s everyone.:hug:
xx

I just recieved a letter this morning saying that my smear is due. I now go once a year for my smears.
From my first smear i had abnormal cells and to tell you the truth am very surprised at how common this is.
I had a colposcopy and then had to have a smear every 6 months but the worst thing was when i fell pregnant with the twins and i had to have a smear when i was pregnant!
The last time i went everything was normal so fingers crossed eh.
I also check my breasts for lumps which i never used to until i found a lump that was nothing to worry about.
You just never know do you.

mines booked too...you know i always dread it and then once its done i feel a nerd for getting so wound up about it...its never as bad as you think its gonna be.

get making friends with those boobies too girls !!

Glad you ok..:hug: xx

thanks for the lovley replies and pm,s everyone.:hug:
xx

So glad all is sorted for you now :hug:

I do go for mine regularly but my gps kids go to school with mine and it always makes me laugh because as he puts the clamp thing in he will say "how are the kids doing " that normally breaks the ice :lol:

wow, i got a letter either last week or week before, i just hrew it to oneside, cos im feeling crap at the moment, now i feel awful, cos i dont even know where the letter is, ive had few scares too, wit skin cancer and irregulartities of periods etc, so youd think id be more sensible wouldnt ya

oh well will ring and make an appointment now,
thanks for the reminder hun

hope your feelign ok and not in too much pain babe xxxx

I had an abnormol smear when i was about 25 yrs old ,i had to have a small operation to remove the cancer that was very small thankgod , then from that i had to go back every 6 mths to have a smear for three yrs then yearly for two years ,i have now had the all clear three years ago ,it is sooooo important to have your smears if i hadnt of gone for mine at 25 ,i would have died a year later ,NEVER MISS A SMEAR :irked:

So pleased that this thread has been started!
I ignored lots of reminders for a good few months as I thought it would be horrendous! When I did go for my smear test i actually felt pretty daft because ok it was a bit uncomfortable but not at all horrendous! and anyway isnt it 10000000000 times better than what the alternative may be if left and not detected.:rolleyes:

Im booked to have my first smear on Friday, im feeling so daft because im really quite nervous!

I had put off my smear for ages, I found out I was 5 years overdue!:smack:

This thread made me pull myself together and go and get it done (yesterday).

The nurse that used to be at my doctors was a witch (imo) and I was dreading it with a capital d! :eek:

Well, when I went yesterday to have it done I found out that it was a new nurse - she was sooooooooooo much better, really made me feel at ease.

I'm relieved its over now though and I finally got it done.

Thank you for this thread :)

If everyone reads it and goes for theirs then its worth it:wink2:

xx

booked to have my first smear on FridaIm y, im feeling so daft because im really quite nervous!

thats what I like to hear!!!

try not to be too nervous, its over in a matter of minutes :hug:

Im booked to have my first smear on Friday, im feeling so daft because im really quite nervous!
Please try not to worry about it... you know how you view the nails of your clients?
yep, it's the same for the doctors and nurses who are performing smears day in and day out...

It's a job that needs to be done and they're professionals who will try to make you feel as at ease as possible :hug:

had mine on tues...was over in 3 mins and didn't feel a thing.

Nurse has a scrap book type picture on the ceiling of hot hunks...so i had something to take my mind of it...:lol: x

Nurse has a scrap book type picture on the ceiling of hot hunks...so i had something to take my mind of it...:lol: x

trust you!!:green:

I would never miss a smear again. Ten years ago I missed a smear and when I eventually went for it I got called back due to abnormal cells. I was whipped into hospital in no time to have a cone biopsy, then a smear every six months for two years then yearly for seven years as I had another abnormal test. The procedure is nothing to worry about even though I stil get nervous about them thankfully every three years now.
Donna

i asked my doc a few yrs ago about when u should get a smear done as was hearing dif things from dif people.

some said when sexually active, some said 21 etc....doc said to have one with the nurse but when i went the nurse said they won't do them unless u think theres a prob if you're under 25 (i'm 21 now - was prob about 17 or 18 at the time)

i've since had a smear and various other tests with gynacologist due to period/uterus problems and although it's a bit uncomfortable it's only for a few secs then it's over

thankfully i dont need these tests as i dont have a cervix - it was removed when i had my hysterectomy 28 years ago - it is scary tho what other women have to go thro

DONT IGNORE YOUR APPOINTMENTS

After a little worrying, i arrived for my appointment, to be told i didnt need to have one after all. Basically ive had a few problems with my cycle. They have now put it down to the contraception pill which im going to stop taking for 3 months to see if things regulate and settle down. And i was also told that they dont readily offer smears to those under 25. And just a quick thankyou for your messages :hug:

Bumping as this is relevant to me too right now x :hug: I am glad I found this thread as I am anxious about some results but can now see I am not alone x

I have never had a smear test,i should have had one allmost six years ago after giving birth and i have since ignored numerous reminders.

Things aren't great atm and that's the excuse i'm using,but tbh it stems from an internal i had when pregnant by a male doctor who had the worlds biggest hands (even my hubby agreed) i layed sobbing the whole way through while Lee held my hand.

I had a very easy labour and delivery and tbh i am so fearfull,i would rather do that again than have a smear

Latest posts

Back