Clients and the wrong information

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a tech who only offers gel (not because I think l&p damage your nails, but because the smell affected me too much during training) it's not fair to blame the company only. As you can see from my sig I am using the "offending" gel. Yes, they do say such things in adds and so forth, but it's also up to the tech to know what is marketing BS and what is the truth. The company shouldn't be making such claims, but well trained techs will also know not to pass that info into clients as well.

I do see your point but what i have found is my clients are doing research on the internet and when these companys are making such claims the client believes what they are reading as its a well know professional brand.

I always advice my client which system i think is best but always set them straight as i hate that they have such wrong information.:mad:

I am glad you replied to that Mely Bely, as when I read the other post about Primers cause damage to the nail plate...I had not heard that before and started to panic a bit! Not that I use a primer, because I use CND Rentention +, but I was thinking of trying out Radical which I was told you do need to use the primer with. Thanks :) xx

Glad I could help bellabeautie - there is an entire section on primer usage in Douglas' book to debunk the myths on that. I use both kinds, depending on the client. I most often use acidless, however, as it works every bit as well and you don't have to worry as much about primer burn to the surrounding skin. Overexposure to anything is dangerous, of course, and this includes acidless primers, so I am still careful not to get it on the surrounding skin.

I trained in gel and acrylic when at college and didn't have a very good teacher. (I'm not bias, she was fired when we took our exams, lol) But the training i've had with individual companies have been great. I think colleges pass students that are not very good and lack a lot of knowledge, unfortunately.

BTW what do you geeks think of "quick acrylic"? xx

I tell all clients who ask 'do you use gel or arcylic', that I use 'liquid and powder acrylic', and that gel is also acrylic, it just has a different application method.

I chose to train in liquid and powder as I felt that this was the more difficult of the two to master so I figured if I could get that under my belt then gel would be a breeze.

I haven't had a single customer not go ahead and get their nails done after I have explained the truth about gel and liquid and powder.[/
QUOTE]

Unfortunetly it is a combination of everything. Clever marketing execs passing info to magazines, Mis-informed teachers mis-informing students, Mis-informed students passing it onto their mis-informed clients........:irked:

As above I always tell clients that all my products contain acrylic and like Bracky none of them mind. I passmy info o my clients who tell their friends and thats how my chain works :green:

I tell all clients who ask 'do you use gel or arcylic', that I use 'liquid and powder acrylic', and that gel is also acrylic, it just has a different application method.

I chose to train in liquid and powder as I felt that this was the more difficult of the two to master so I figured if I could get that under my belt then gel would be a breeze.
[SIZE="5"]
I haven't had a single customer not go ahead and get their nails done after I have explained the truth about gel and liquid and powder.[/[/SIZE
]QUOTE]

Unfortunetly it is a combination of everything. Clever marketing execs passing info to magazines, Mis-informed teachers mis-informing students, Mis-informed students passing it onto their mis-informed clients........:irked:

As above I always tell clients that all my products contain acrylic and like Bracky none of them mind. I passmy info o my clients who tell their friends and thats how my chain works :green:

As a tech who only offers gel (not because I think l&p damage your nails, but because the smell affected me too much during training) it's not fair to blame the company only. As you can see from my sig I am using the "offending" gel. Yes, they do say such things in adds and so forth, but it's also up to the tech to know what is marketing BS and what is the truth. The company shouldn't be making such claims, but well trained techs will also know not to pass that info into clients as well.

I understand your point but how can we expect even educated techs to know the truth as opposed to marketing BS when "reputable" sources are advertising false information? personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing business with a company when I know im being blatantly lied to by them. furthermore, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling my services with that companies products, as I would just be feeding into the ignorance they're spreading. sorry if that sounded harsh, please don't take it personally, im just stating my own opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

I totally agree with you FlawlessBeauty...at the end of the day, the college wants as many passes as possible. We are currently doing our assessments at college and some of the other students in the class....well, to be honest I cant believe they have passed! Shocking! Dont get me wrong, I am glad I have chosen to so my course at college, because its hands on etc...and coming into the nail industry completely new and no knowledge of anything...I didnt know where else to go. I hadnt heard of any companies, so didnt know you could do training with them directly. If I had of known that, I proberly would of gone straight to CND to do my training. But, the good thing is, I now know this, and I can go on to do further training with them, and at least now I have some knowledge and know what I am doing!! Theres so much more information about the nail industry which we dont get taught at college (I know they cant teach you EVERYTHING) so I am very glad Ive found this site because its been SO helpful. Things I know now, I can pass this info onto my clients (like acrylic NOT being harmful to your nails, gel not being better than acrylic etc.. etc...)
Oooops, rambling a bit, I shall stop now :green: xx

When it comes to things like that ("clients are affraid of LP, that other tech is teaching clients wrong and stupid things, someone is using this or that wrongly") I think it could be reffered as with children and cake crumbs.
It annoyes you, and you can or can't do this:

1. You can't teach other people's kids table manners without those people getting insulted (most of the time);

2. You can forbid cake in your own house or say everyone who eats cake has no table manners, crumbs or not; but that won't make you very popular;

3. You can allow crumbing and still be annoyed; and eventually get yourself a peptic ulcer or into fight with everyone;

4. You can allow crumbing and send everything to hell, well at least you'll have your mind at ease;

5. You can teach your own kids to eat cake without crumbing all over.

The fifth option worked for me and at age of 34, I don't have a single grey hair on my head :green:

Last edited:
I understand your point but how can we expect even educated techs to know the truth as opposed to marketing BS when "reputable" sources are advertising false information? personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing business with a company when I know im being blatantly lied to by them. furthermore, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling my services with that companies products, as I would just be feeding into the ignorance they're spreading. sorry if that sounded harsh, please don't take it personally, im just stating my own opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

No offence taken. I understand what you're talking about and it's a good point. However, when clients come in to see me, usually new ones, talking about such claims, I always tell them the truth and that it's their marketing campaing and tell them the reasons why I use the product. I never EVER go along with something that I know isn't true. But I still really enjoy working with the product and will continue to do so making sure I inform the client! :)

I will look into the book by douglas and read up on that more. Most of the primers I have used in the past have indeed been acid base. Most of the clients that have had acrylic nails have come to me from chop shops where they clip back lifting and drill up the nail and leave alot of hot spots. There nails are quite damaged. I am not saying that every one does this because I know that is not true I will look into it more.

I only do acrylic nails so i'm not too familiar with gels nails. But i think a common mis-understanding is these Bio sculpture nails. If you read all their leaflets and information they completely hype it up about how good they are for your natural nails. Clients read this and believe it.

I read about them and thought they were amazing the way they made them sound like the new best thing for natural nails, until someone who trained me said that Bio sculpture nails are in fact the same as any other gel nail system! :rolleyes:

I got really annoyed before Xmas at college (I'm doing Beauty Therapy L2 course which doesn't cover nail enhancements).

it was enrichment week, and we were offered L&P nail extensions by the L3 students. One girl said she didn't want hers done because it ruins your nails. The teachers reply was, wait for it, "well have gel then":eek:

I nearly fell on the floor, I took the girl aside and explained that neither product damages your nails, it is bad prep that can do that, and the prep will be the same for either.

I was so angry with the teacher, if this is what people get told in college, what hope is there for our industry?[/quote

this is a little of subject so i do apolagise but whilst i was in collage i had a client in for a manicure who was enquiring about enhancments during the manicure consultation she had mentioned that her and her sister were decorating and that as it was coming into summer she cudnt wait to get back into her gardening

taking this into acount and a lot of previous thread reading on salon geek i advised her that l&p would be a good choice for her as it is more durab le than gel and suits her lifestyle, the client than decided to have the same conversation with my tutor whos reply was you could have acrylic or gel i think gel look nicer ! then turned to me and said you should have been able to answer that question ???!!!

Funny to come across this thread after having a conversation at work only today about the same subject.

Ive had L&P overlays on my nails and recently had them off, well my own nails Naturally are very weak and thin, but according to a girl I work with who have gel nails by that well known company its due to having had L&P.

I know its not but listening to her hark on about it its not a wonder so many people belive gel is better for you. (Shes not trained in anything either shes one of those 'better educated clients')

Ive used both Gel and L&P on my nails and tbh I prefer L&P because of the lifting issues I had with Gel (Not the well known company everyones mentioned thus far btw)

Now Im not saying one or the other is better for anyone, but that view is So wide spread and ingrained in people it makes the mind boggle.

i get annoyed at how many clients have been told gels are better and acrylics are the sole cause of damage to the nail. i explain the benefits of each system and that the damage is caused by pulling the nail off when lift is present, or by not having them soaked off.i try to avoid saying if i file it wrong there may be damage etc. i have a regular who will have a full set for occasions only, keeps them 3 weeks then soaks off the full set. she has never had any damage present. does anyone else say the same?

end of the day... theres a few factors that are very damagin to the nail plate

1. client abuse
  2. inferior products eg MMA
  3. cowboy nail techs
if you wore a hat for 2 weeks non stop would you expect your hair to be perfect when you took ya hat off??? no youd have to wash it and tend to it and love it..same with ya nails.. removed correctly and manicured- rip them off with ya teeth and its obvious what your gonna be left with.. acrylic or gel ...

I dont do nails but I thought gels were better as well and I tell my clients that so in future I will say nothing about things I dont understand .
I've only seen the damage that acr does to nails so bad preop is the thug well at least now I know.:lol:

I am glad you replied to that Mely Bely, as when I read the other post about Primers cause damage to the nail plate...I had not heard that before and started to panic a bit! Not that I use a primer, because I use CND Rentention +, but I was thinking of trying out Radical which I was told you do need to use the primer with. Thanks :) xx

Just to say Radical is infact primer optional. If you are confident with your application, and do not experience lifting then give Radical a try. I use it without a primer and I'm sure (please correct me if I'm wrong!) that Geeg does also.

Retention + is great for clients prone to lifting (as well as other things)and Radical is for those who need a little extra strength. However if you (or indeed your clients) have no problems with lifting then Radical can be used no problem. The clarity with Radical is amazing, it's by far my favourite liquid.
The primer is of course safe to use, but if you prefer not to use a primer then try it without and see how you get on.

" Oh gels are so much better for your nails than acrylics"

As a tech offering prinmarily gel nails I, on the contrary come across 'a lot of' misinformation about acrylics being stronger. :rolleyes:
And it can be really annoying.

As a tech offering prinmarily gel nails I, on the contrary come across 'a lot of' misinformation about acrylics being stronger. :rolleyes:
And it can be really annoying.

Well unfortunatley that is what the non professionals that our nail industry is FULL of are like, sadly..

A true professional would never say anything so stupid.

The non pros who use gel disrespect the L&P users and visa versa .. in the name of convincing people to use their services instead of someone else's. It is quite pathetic really.

L&P is still by far the most used nail service in the world and has been for more than 30 odd years so folks who talk against it are just stupid really ...

I use everything and love them all and do not see my clients with nail damage which ever system I use. WHY??? Because I am not in the business of damaging peoples nails.

Well unfortunatley that is what the non professionals that our nail industry is FULL of are like, sadly..

A true professional would never say anything so stupid.

The non pros who use gel disrespect the L&P users and visa versa .. in the name of convincing people to use their services instead of someone else's. It is quite pathetic really.

You know, geeg, I tend to regard it rather as an ethical issue, not professional. Because those who say similar things may be well aware of the facts.
For instance, we have Entity all over here and they keep repeating that Entity is the best a nail-tech can have. I think it’s a bit too steep claiming things like that. Especially because nail industry has developed from the same source and companies build their identities on the basis of certain previous experiences. Even if the product were that good claiming all the success is just not quite honest.
At least that’s how I see as an outsider.

Latest posts

Back