Coloured Gels .. have your opinions changed ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which COLOUR GELS do you favour now and why?

• Akzentz

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Bio Sculpture

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • Calgel

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • NSI

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters

Karren

Reaction score
hi

ive been watching the various threads over the past few months with regards to the coloured gels, which have become very popular in my salon, and have been following some suggestions with regards to companies

My opinions on the gels / companies have changed through usage and have seen some of you guys have too

So where do we stand at the moment - what or who do you like (COLOURED GELS ONLY PLEASE)

kx

LOVE LOVE LOVE my coloured gels....have always said there was a growing market for them and my client base this summer has proved it.

Bio is my favourite, and I probably do 60% pedicure / 40% manicure with permanent colour, and also have several regular clients who normally go for clear/french NNO, but ring the changes for special occasions with colour.

I also find folks quite regualrly like a bit of 'bling' adding with rhinestones in coloured gels, especially on the toes.

I've also carry Akzentz Options, but the range of colours hasn't been as popular this summer, with the Bio 'funky and bright' colours proving most popular and Akzentz being seen as a bit 'safe' and only really used by my occasional older client or bride.

Now seeing an upturn in the Bio darker winter colours like 'Chocoholic' and 'Claret' - rich warm browns and reds

I use nailite coloured gels as their prices are unbeatable AND I've never had any reason to change since their performance has been more than satisfactory.

I dont have a huge selection as of yet, and they aren't high in demand. But perhaps once my client base builds more, they will become so.

Although I use both Bio and Akzentz, I haven't voted as I don't prefer one to the other..... I have seen an upturn in customers wanting to wear coloured gel but I don't enjoy using them.

Bio's colours are lovely and dense but a pain to file down as it tears very easily. Everytime a customer wants to dramatically change the colour, you have to soak off, which isn't always easy to incorporate within the booking, as customers don;t always know what colour they want in two weeks time:rolleyes:

Akzentz doesn't soak off very well (well it doesn't for me), so I tend to file it off, which is time consuming, plus makes my arms ache:)

What coloured gel do you use at the moment? Are you still with Akzentz?

Have both the calgel and Akzents coloured gels. Love them both. I do find the calgel easier to soak off. Both are very easy to apply, with Calgel you can apply straight onto nail plate, without bonder layer.

well I started and am using Akzentz (as alot of people were raving about them ! lol) but having trialled a pot of Bio, i prefer the consistency and my client (who previously experienced probs with Akzentz ... hasnt been with this bio ?!)

Im also following the Calgel thread with interest (one of my clients used to use this when she was a technician and loved it!) hense the thread ... really interested in what people are using now - are people sticking with original brand or changed to a new one, if they changed have they gone back to original brand, or changing to another brand - and what have been their findings, ie what were the factors in the change, cost, consistency, durability etc (mmm not sure that reads quite well ?! hope you get what i mean though)

kx

Although I use both Bio and Akzentz, I haven't voted as I don't prefer one to the other..... I have seen an upturn in customers wanting to wear coloured gel but I don't enjoy using them.

Bio's colours are lovely and dense but a pain to file down as it tears very easily. Everytime a customer wants to dramatically change the colour, you have to soak off, which isn't always easy to incorporate within the booking, as customers don;t always know what colour they want in two weeks time:rolleyes:

Akzentz doesn't soak off very well (well it doesn't for me), so I tend to file it off, which is time consuming, plus makes my arms ache:)

What coloured gel do you use at the moment? Are you still with Akzentz?

well I started and am using Akzentz (as alot of people were raving about them ! lol) but having trialled a pot of Bio, i prefer the consistency and my client (who previously experienced probs with Akzentz ... hasnt been with this bio ?!)

Im also following the Calgel thread with interest (one of my clients used to use this when she was a technician and loved it!) hense the thread ... really interested in what people are using now - are people sticking with Akzentz or going back to previous brand, or indeed changing to Bio or another brand - and what have been their findings, ie what were the factors in the change, cost, consistency, durability etc

kx

I too have just read the other thread and note that Amb who was a Bio lover has moved to Calgel. Bio really doesn't lift, can't fault it for that, however it does look alittle rubbery, especially after the initial new set. If there is someone local to me I would like to try calgel myself.

Bio is a bit more rubbery, but I have no problems filing it down. I find the spongefiles and either the black 240 from Bio or a kanga to be brilliant at filing Bio down without any tearing.

I don't use coloured gels myself but have trained with Pronails colours and used Bio in a salon.
I adore the Pronails gels as they apply very very easily. They aren't soak off but then you apply clear gel underneath and I found it was really quick and easy to file off the colour without removing the clear. Their colours are also fab. I prefer being able to buff off this way as it's much easier than having to soak everything off if they want a lighter colour put on. I tried to buff off a Bio colour (a light one at that) the other day as the client wanted to go clear but had only booked in time for infills, not removal and new set, and it was impossible. Ended up having to send her away and book her in another day. Also I have found with Bio that you need a good three coats to get the colour to match the colour pops otherwise they are much lighter than the swatch colour.

Le chat's range of coloured gels is the biz and they also do glitters and even colour changing gels :)
I for one will be trying them all.

I like my LeChat coloured gels....I don't have the whole range of colours yet but the ones I do have my clients adore....easy peezie to apply and to remove.......

Oh, I keep meaning to try LeChat.. remind me please if they're buff off or soak off?
Have you seen the new shimmery topcoats on their site? They look fab!!!

Le chat's range of coloured gels is the biz and they also do glitters and even colour changing gels :)
I for one will be trying them all.

so how do these compare with akzentz would be interested to hear

Oh, I keep meaning to try LeChat.. remind me please if they're buff off or soak off?
Have you seen the new shimmery topcoats on their site? They look fab!!!

they are soak off.....have seen them ...shimmery....lovely !

I have used lechat abd ibd and find lechat the better one.

they are soak off.....have seen them ...shimmery....lovely !

they are soak off, but not in the same sense as l/p or bio/calgel. they take a little longer. however they buff of super easy. the new topcoats are to die for. and work lovely over l/p nails as well as gel.

I don't use coloured gels myself but have trained with Pronails colours and used Bio in a salon.
I adore the Pronails gels as they apply very very easily. They aren't soak off but then you apply clear gel underneath and I found it was really quick and easy to file off the colour without removing the clear. Their colours are also fab. I prefer being able to buff off this way as it's much easier than having to soak everything off if they want a lighter colour put on. I tried to buff off a Bio colour (a light one at that) the other day as the client wanted to go clear but had only booked in time for infills, not removal and new set, and it was impossible. Ended up having to send her away and book her in another day. Also I have found with Bio that you need a good three coats to get the colour to match the colour pops otherwise they are much lighter than the swatch colour.

i agree! i use pronails gel and they go on really well and it is far easier to change the colour each time as it's just buffed off and then you infill as normal. LOVE pronails:green: I used bio at my last job. i really liked it but it was just annoying as you had to soak off and put a whole new lot on for a different colour, not everyone wants to pay out for a new lot every time!!

I have to revise my previous answer as it no longer applies.

I still favour Nailite coloured gels.

BUT... I don't get the demand for it. Clients don't like that at some point, there is a line where the nail has grown and they're stuck with it until their rebalance.
At least if I polish and/or do art.... then when it grows a bit, they can remove it and repolish OR I do a funky french/marbled french of some kind so that it does't really matter too much now much the nails grow between appmnts.

Sooooo I do not have any demand for it, and more or less, stopped promoting it.

Love, love, love Calgel! Used to use IBD, but changed to calgel last month and it is a dream! Easy to work with, beautiful colours and my clients love it. I havent actually painted a french since i did my training, its all gel french. I only have a couple of colours at mo so need to get bigger selection. I know come winter, my clients will be having the dark rich colours! Cant rate Calgel enough!:)

I myself have only tried the IBD coloured gels, which i do like, but haven't used anyone else's so can't say really if anything else is better.

I am just waiting for a while till some others come out for me to try.

Latest posts

Back