Company bank card cloned at Excel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve@nouvatan

Reaction score
We have a company card that never leaves Madame Nouvatans purse. its an account we only use it too pay suppliers.

Thursday we get a phone call saying there has been some unusual activity on your account, the activity was only a £5 withdrawal but it was picked up as unusual as we never use that account for such small amounts.

Turns out £5 had been taken out as a test the water to see if they could empty the account in the next few days and fortunately Nat West had picked it up.
We have never paid for petrol or handed that card to any one apart from when we did Pro Beauty at excel and 10 days later we have a fraud attempt.

We have only ever personally handed the card over in the Aloft hotel and for a few buys at excel.

Fortunately our Bank was on the ball. but i thought i would share this with you as some of you may not be as lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is quite a worrying tale, but at least your Bank was on the ball or it could have been a whole lot worse!
Do the Bank carry out any investigations regarding this, or do they just cancel the card and is that it as far as they are concerned?

That is quite a worrying tale, but at least your Bank was on the ball or it could have been a whole lot worse!
Do the Bank carry out any investigations regarding this, or do they just cancel the card and is that it as far as they are concerned?
card has been cancelled and we have been issued a new one.I have no idea what happens. regarding the bank investigating the fraud. I dont even know if we will get the £5 back:D i am just really pleased that Nat west picked up the unusual activity.
I have a very strong suspicion of who cloned the card. but obviously cant prove it.:evil:

This happens to my boyfriend someone from Mauritius took £25 twice the bank didn't even notice it was only when my boyfriend was checking his statements he noticed, just goes to show you should always check bank statments, the bank gave him his money back too. Xxx

my parents had 2p taken out of their bank and hsbc picked up on it, and my sister had someone from turkey take £115 out of her bank through paypal! lol luckily she got it back x

Blimey, thanks for letting us know. I use Natwest and they are pretty hot on this unusual activity. I once went on a shopping spree at a couple of places out of my area, on the way to another destination and they wouldn't accept my card and I had to speak to them there and then at the checkout. It all worked out at the time, but I was thankful they did it.

It's a bit crap that it was probably at Excel though!!

I lost over £500 on my credit card and the statement showed it as being purchases from Bejing. I reported it and it was refunded along with interest and the over limit fees that were incurred as a result of the fraud.

It does pay to check your statements.

Some cheeky b****r topped there 02 phone up somehow from my bank account once... & it was for £50! I only realised when I was at the checkout trying to pay for my shopping. My card was declined I was mortified as I had no other means to pay for my food! I rang up telephone banking straight away & they told me. I cancelled my card & got a new one & tsb refunded me £50 & opened a fraud case.

Shocking if you can't trust your own money in your own bank! that's why I always draw my wages from my day job out & keep it safe in my house! X

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankfully we have never had this happen.

We are with RBS and when we lived in Germany they called my husbands mobile when they saw strange activity on his account.

We had withdrawn money from the cash machine (euros) then in the American army base we withdrew dollars all within an hour. They thought this rather strange and called him to check. I thought that was great as they were aware immediately.

What a horrible thing to have happen though. Your moneys not safe anywhere anymore :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'm so sorry to hear that :( hope it all gets sorted properly and you get your £5 back too!

How people think they will get away with it I'll never understand. I'm with natwest too and to be honest I don't think they check mine because my account is very up and down they'd probably think it was normal. I usually check my account once a day just to see if I have money for the top I want etc! (counting pennies is not fun) so at least I'd notice :) x

Nowadays in London it's accepted practice not to let your card out of your hand, a counter clerk needn't touch it at all for transactions.
I also avoid paying for petrol by card.
The CEO of streamline is a client of mine, and advised that if a shop assistant ever dropped my card on the floor, or let it out of my sight, I should cancel it straightaway.

Recently my bank (Barclays) has started putting a stop on my card if I do 5 Internet transactions in a row.

Ouch! Glad I paid cash for everything except the car park machine...

I'm so glad that banks are on the ball about our money, when recently in Spain, I had withdrew some money and within minutes I received a message from Lloyds tsb making me aware that a withdrawal had be made for £xx and even told me what country it was withdrawn in and there was a secure free phone number was sent aswell if the activity in your account wasn't you! And as for fraud sometimes I think the safest place for our money is under the mattress! :)

this also reminds me of my nan who kept most of her money in her wheelchair, she used to sit on it! xx

That's awful! Glad they picked up on it quickly.

My mum is with barclays and made a large transaction earlier in the year, within 2 minutes she had a phonecall checking that it was legit, as it was unusual for her.

Around here there was trouble at the local tesco a couple of years ago. A lot of people using the cash machine outside were getting their cards duplicated. Luckily, everyone got their money back and it was sorted out pretty quickly.

It's so scary though! Sometimes you just don't have the money to keep you going while the banks are sorting it out xx

Nowadays in London it's accepted practice not to let your card out of your hand, a counter clerk needn't touch it at all for transactions.
I also avoid paying for petrol by card.
The CEO of streamline is a client of mine, and advised that if a shop assistant ever dropped my card on the floor, or let it out of my sight, I should cancel it straightaway.

Recently my bank (Barclays) has started putting a stop on my card if I do 5 Internet transactions in a row.

I NEVER hand my card over to a shop assistant. I ALWAYS put it into the machine myself. If they try to take it off me I say "shall I put it into here?" pointing to the card machine. Thankfully this doesnt happen too often. Alot of shop assistants refuse to touch my card.
x

Latest posts

Back