Cutting Older Clients with Abrasives

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy-Jayne

Reaction score
Sound like a harsh titile doesn't it....!

This sounds really bad ....

I have a problem with two clients - both around the age of 60 who's skin I keep cutting where the free edge starts. Always looks like paper cuts. I can't get over it. I'm using the required abrasives for the job when doing infills and tidying up the side walls. (The less harsh side of a blizzard board or a black grit - 240 I think) Sometimes I even have to use something even less harsh just in case.

Is this a common occurence in the older generation? Does anyone have any tips to help me stop doing this?!?! I am trying to be soooo careful - but it's clearly not working!

Thanks Geeks

xx

Their skin tends to get a little thinner. Or it may be that it is really soft. You do take the edges off you file, right?
I have one client that I cut right on her finger tip. I've done it twice but only to her! And it was with a buffer block!

ahhh don't feel too bad...i have done it too....some of my more mature clients also have very soft and thin skin. I always tell them to tell me if i am hurting, (they often feel it before you notice you have done it)...i go real slow near that area and to help with future treatments i ensure i apply the product there very thin...so there is less to file next time.

xxx

Definitely get in the habit of running another abrasive down the corners of the one you're using. This will take the sharp paper corners off which can cause that paper cut effect.

Also try holding the skin back a little more firmly, as we age our skin gets less elastic and looser so you need to ensure it's held firmly away from the abrasive.

I've certainly done it to my clients in the past and I just feel awful when it happens :irked:

Definitely get in the habit of running another abrasive down the corners of the one you're using. This will take the sharp paper corners off which can cause that paper cut effect.

Thanks everyone. I am trying this with the abrasives but will have to try it a bit more!

Thanks again
xx

when i do my moms nails i feel like i'm always nicking her where you talk about on one finger..

i find that older skin is sometimes very dry and it helps if i do a mini massage before, right after i take off polish.

Old peoples skin... ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

I am dreading getting old and having skin like that!!!!:eek:

I have a few oldies... My nana and her mates get all sorts done, Nails, waxed tanned (some of them LOVE 10%)!! But they are young oldies... they haven't got funny skin yet, but i am more careful when i wax their brows as i know their skin is a lot thinner and i am extra careful with my files with them as when i 1st started to do their nails i was slashing them to bits..... :rolleyes:

You could also try keeping back a tatty old file that you've used for a rebalance or something, same client because of germs and things but it should be soft enough not to cause any damage HTH's x

it's all about treating the nail as 3dimensional, turn the finger as you turn your file. It's difficult to explain, the best way is to close your eyes, imagine holding a finger and turn the finger as you file to create a more "round" feel and finish. Files should not touch the skin .... old or young. Perhaps a more "worn in" file will help. I have 3 of each file on the go at the same time, a new one, a medium use and an old buggar (all the same grit) sanitised and ready for any nail in any condition.

it's all about treating the nail as 3dimensional, turn the finger as you turn your file. It's difficult to explain, the best way is to close your eyes, imagine holding a finger and turn the finger as you file to create a more "round" feel and finish. Files should not touch the skin .... old or young. Perhaps a more "worn in" file will help. I have 3 of each file on the go at the same time, a new one, a medium use and an old buggar (all the same grit) sanitised and ready for any nail in any condition.

This is good advice. Sometimes I move myself too much when I could be moving my client's hand more. This is timely because I just gave a client a nasty cut with a brand new file stupid for not running the new edges against a file.... I feel so bad.:o

thanks for the advice... I really wish I had read this yesterday.......
sob... thank god my client was one I have had for a year and have never cut before... will now get into the habit of filing the file!!:irked:

Try holding the finger a little differently so that you are in effect gently pinching the pad of the finger and thereby pulling any puffy skin that is close to the sides of the nails away from them.

As zoo said, no one should be cut young or old. Never mind 60 year olds (eh hem) when I do my daughter's nails I have to be mega careful because her skin is as thin as if I were filing a raspberry and you only have to touch her and she bleeds. Always told her she was a little bleeder and I was right.

I have used her hands many times as a model in photographs etc and my heart is always in my mouth thinking I am going to draw blood .... Not nice in a poster shot!! :lol:

Try holding the finger a little differently so that you are in effect gently pinching the pad of the finger and thereby pulling any puffy skin that is close to the sides of the nails away from them.

As zoo said, no one should be cut young or old. Never mind 60 year olds (eh hem) when I do my daughter's nails I have to be mega careful because her skin is as thin as if I were filing a raspberry and you only have to touch her and she bleeds. Always told her she was a little bleeder and I was right.

I have used her hands many times as a model in photographs etc and my heart is always in my mouth thinking I am going to draw blood .... Not nice in a poster shot!! :lol:
We're going to tell on you:green:

I did it yesterday...It was because i had applied a tip (not done this in ages as i do mainly NNO) and forgot to loosened the skin from the sides of the tip..(you know where you push down with your thumb nail) started filing to shape the tip and bingo...claret everywhere. She didn't even flinch...I was so sorry and felt terrible...havent cut anyone in yonks.

I have done this once and felt awful too, alot of my clients are older so i just try to get a really firm hold on the finger and keep fleshy skin at the side held back. xx

I've done this today.

Even now,I still feel awful but I learnt a good lesson.
I'm not so cleaver, I often need to make mistake to learn something.

The lady was very nice, said she was happy with today's treatment (rebalance) and she will recommend me to her friends.....:cry:
(.... not sure if she means it.)

Hope she will come back to me in 2 weeks time.

i was doing a friends mums nails and just as i was about to file after L&P application, i said to her im still learning so tell me if im hurting you at all or catch your skin because i need to learn when im doing something wrong, picked up her pinkie finger went to streamline the edge, sliced right through her skin with a brand new file! (i had not learnt about taking edges off a new file then) ! i felt awful, it makes me go all funny aswel lol. but it has definately drummed it into my mind and im always conscious of it now.

Latest posts

Back