Dark lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x_lisa_x

Reaction score
hi guys, I did a full set of p&w acrylics tonight (white tips and pink over the top) and i was really pleased with them and so was the client, but about 10 mins after she left she phoned me and said that she had noticed some dark lines around the white line. i'm not quite sure what she meant though and have said that she can come over in the week and i'll have a look. I thought that i'd ask my fellow geeks though and see what you guys think it could be and how i would rectify it. She seemed ok with it though and has still kept her appointment for next time!

lisa x :irked:

Sounds as though perhaps the white isn't far enough down and she is seeing her natural smile line, as though it has already grown out a bit. Do you think this could be it? xx

i'm not sure relly to be honest, like i said i was really happy with them and on cloud 9 but it's brought me down with a thud!
is there anything i can do to fix it other than take it off and start again?

I did a set a couple of weeks ago as a practise on my mum and I noticed dark lines on hers. It was where I had applied the white to the tip and created the smile line, I hadn't applied it evenly and around the side and the 'ears' was thinner than the rest of the tip making it look dark. Not sure if that's what you have done but that's what happened to me :hug: hth

i think it could be a number of things, you wont know til you see them. It could be where you have pulled some pink over your white (rather than butting up to it) causing some shadowing. Did you use tips, what did you use if you did? Did they require blending? May be you have some shadowing from the tips not being blended enough?
I wouldnt feel too down about it though when you see then you will know what is wrong and be able to fix it for next time, sometimesi think you can learn better from making a few mistakes along the way,
HTH's

i'm not sure relly to be honest, like i said i was really happy with them and on cloud 9 but it's brought me down with a thud!
is there anything i can do to fix it other than take it off and start again?

Most people have a natural dark 'greyish' sort of line where their own natural free edge leaves the nail plate ... it is known as the onycodermal band ... it is perfectly normal and natural. It is where the dermis joins onto the nail plate (the hyponychium). Not to mention that she is the only one who will ever take any notice of it. Most people do not peer at others onychodermal bands!! :rolleyes:

I would not apologise for something that is natural and normal, nor would I offer to redo the nails. She can always have you paint a french polish over it to cover it up or you could use an opaque powder next time if it is really distressing her. If it is this, then she will see it after a few days after every single appointment as the nail grows.

She needs to get a grip and not worry about it if this is what is causing her to stress.

Most people have a natural dark 'greyish' sort of line where their own natural free edge leaves the nail plate ... it is known as the onycodermal band ... it is perfectly normal and natural. It is where the dermis joins onto the nail plate (the hyponychium). Not to mention that she is the only one who will ever take any notice of it. Most people do not peer at others onychodermal bands!! :rolleyes:

Thanks Gigi, you've put my "baby language" into a real explanation. LOLxx

Last edited:
Thanks Gigi, you've put my "baby language" into a real explanation. LOLxx

I wish someone could do a thread with all the correct pronunciations for the correct terminology, i have forgotten how to say allot of them !???
i.e hyponychium = hi-per-nic-i-um

thanks for your replies guys, i'm hopefully going to see her in a few days anyway so i'll let you know what i reckon.

and thanks geeg for putting it in simple terms for me!!!

:)

I wish someone could do a thread with all the correct pronunciations for the correct terminology, i have forgotten how to say allot of them !???
i.e hyponychium = hi-per-nic-i-um
Try hi-po-nic-i-um .There is no per

you see what I mean!

Latest posts

Back