Difficult client and low splitting nails.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexi

Reaction score
Good morning Geeks!

One of the ladies who works in the hairdressers downstairs to me had some acrylics applied by me because I am training. To cut a long story short she basically chewed and picked them all off. :eek:

Obviously I was very unhappy, but she keeps telling everyone her nails look like she has leprosey and that her nails are ''sooooo painful and fragile.'' She is blamming this all on my application. :eek:

Anyway she came into me yesterday and said ''my nails are so sore and so weak and I am using nail envy (OPI) but nothing it happening, they are splitting so far down and getting caught in people's hair''

I felt the nails and they were a bit soft no way would I call them weak!!! Her nails used to be so sore she couldn't put nail varnish on unitl I sorted them out for her.

So my question is how do I handle her? What else can I advise her than what she is already doing (cuticle oil and nail envy.)? You can probably tell she is very difficult to handle anyway.

Help much needed and appriciated :irked:

Becki xxx

these sort of clients are a real pain arnt they??

I would suggest in the future that you give them a 'client aftercare sheet ', a list of do's and donts.

the first thing i say to them always is, please dont pick the enhancements as it will weaken them and thin your natural nail, if you want them removed , let me do it for you.

If you explain everything before the treatment, nothing will come back to you.

Dont let this woman make you feel bad and knock your confidence.

politley tell her that she chose to pick and bite her own nails, and that caused the damage,not you .

Because I am training I gave her a printed sheet of all do and don'ts because I have to show that in my portfolio.

I told her if she wanted them removing I would need to do it.

The difficult thing is she will not admit she picked them off, yet I have seen her do it, the other girls (including the lady who owns the salon) have seen her do it.

The lady in question says they ''pinged off when she was doing things such as turning on a light switch.''

So do you think there is anything else I can say about how low the nails are splitting - is it because she has picked her nails off?

Becki xxx

People who are pickers and biters are the worlds worst clients to handle.

You have to explain that every time she bites or picks them off, she is taking many layers of natural nail off, so if she continues to do this, you won't have a strong base to work from, they won't hold any overlay and it will come to the point you won't be able to do anything with them.

Either she stops picking or biting them off, or you will stop doing them.

Sometimes, only tough love works with these kind of clients. If she doesn't like it, she may go else where, but who wants a client this difficult anyway? You can only advise her what is best, if she doesn't listen, it's her nails that will suffer.

I think that you need to get across to her that if the nails just pinged off then they wouldnt have taken any layers of the nail with them so the nails wouldnt be thin and damaged.

Would applying an overlay while her nails are growing again help? Would she still pick these off?

Sometimes yu can helo epople like these but it is so annoying when they work as the same premises as you and slate your work.

Did she pay for the enhancements?
I'm thinking that she didn't pay for them and hence has no respect for them.

No she didn't pay, I was only training (still am) and it was my first ever set!

I am going to start charging a minmal amount as loads of people have suggested this.

I really don't want to apply anything to them now as its really knocked my confidence. I am doing gel next week and she keeps banging on about how she can't wait for me to do it.

I feel I am in a really akward situation as she works downstairs.

Becki xxx

I really don't want to apply anything to them now as its really knocked my confidence. I am doing gel next week and she keeps banging on about how she can't wait for me to do it.
Tell her there will be a charge to cover your product costs (£10 or something like that), hopefully by paying for her nails she will show them more respect :hug:

No she didn't pay, I was only training (still am) and it was my first ever set!

I am going to start charging a minmal amount as loads of people have suggested this.

I feel I am in a really akward situation as she works downstairs.

Becki xxx

I certainly would not apply a gel!! :eek: She'll hit the roof with the pain if her nails are thinned and weakened!! Why is it that women will not take responsibility for what THEY do to their nails??

I certainly would not apply a gel!! :eek: She'll hit the roof with the pain if her nails are thinned and weakened!! Why is it that women will not take responsibility for what THEY do to their nails??

i can completely second what gigi has said hun, i once had gel applied ot my very thin weak nails, it was excruiating(sp) so i wouldnt advise this, and i think sandi and everyone is right, i bet if she'd paid you the nails would be a damn site better than they were, funny when people dont pay for them how they mysteriously ping off and our terribly damaged

when i havent charged for them, the nails have fell off within days, yet when they pay they come back after a week with one broken and have it repaired then come back for infills, free set and oops they fell off again, amazing innit?

good luck hun, sounds like the type of client you don't want or need lol:hug:

Im slowly realising that being a nail technician,you need a thick skin.....:rolleyes:

Dont despair hun,do as Sandi said,and charge accordingly.

You have to charge hun, if you get something for free your less likely to look after it, than if you had to pay for it.........I would charge like sandy says a minimum of ten pounds.
And personally if she is going to continue to pick and pull off your work, find someone else...someone who knows your training and respects your learning.

My Dad had a saying, "Before Lincoln came along, slaves did not get paid for their work and look how they got treated; are you willing to be someone's slave and work for free?!"

It's sounds flippant but it's true. When someone gets something for nothing, it doesn't cost them a penny to lose it or mis-treat it. My product costs me to buy it, and while I may be happy to gift someone with my time, I'm not going to pay money on top of that too!:smack:

My tutor always used to say that hairdressers were the worst for enhancements because they always had their hands in water. Am I right? You probably chose a lady with the wrong occupation to do your first set. :irked:

I hope she isn't badmouthing you to potential clients .

If she does, attack your own hair with kitchen scissors and cut a few big chunks out ..... when people comment, tell them she did your hair :lol:

If she does, attack your own hair with kitchen scissors and cut a few big chunks out ..... when people comment, tell them she did your hair :lol:
:green::green::green:

PMSL Excellent idea!!!

well i did two other hairdressers (one is a junior) and they stayed on just fine!

I think I'll just start charging and not do her again!!!

She cut my hair and the owner said it looked like a wig...dunno if thats good or bad?! lol

xxx

did she cut a hole in each side ? one for the handle and one for the spout, the cosie look is in !!!!!!!!!!!

haha she might as well of done!!

someone came up to me because she felt the need to tell me i looked ''just like that sharon ozbournes daughter'' - errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm i think not love!

Latest posts

Back