Discount salon/MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzandbeauty

Reaction score
Hi, well Iv got my first client in week coming from a Discount/NSS salon so I'm dreading it. I don't know the lady just got talking and she saw my nails and asked who did them. Anyway to cut it short she said she was ready for her infills but dreading it.
I asked why she said cos of the pain :/..... I said wow you shouldn't be in pain what's happening to them. When she's had infill she can't do or touch anything when she gets home cos they are that tight and sore so her hubby has to do the tea. He's going mad saying why do you put yourself through this?.
She's had nails on for 10 yrs but now uses the local discount/NSS salon and can't bear not having nails as they don't break from there!. Well I explained a few things that this should not be happening and explain it all to her, so she's hoping to cone in week for me to take them off and put a new full set of creative acrylics on her.
Iv heard alot of storys about getting the stuff off so any advice would be great on how best to get it off any tips?. Thanks x

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have booked out a good few hours to soak them off! They are like concrete & you don't know what her nails are like underneath after all this time especially if she is in pain, poor woman, clients will all learn one sore set of nails at a time ;) xx

If you do a search for NSS Salon on here you will find loads of information.
I think most people recommend growing out the product they apply as it can be so difficult to get off, and the nails underneath are so damaged.
You can infill with your own products until the damage has grown out.

Maybe this has changed and not all of these Discount/NSS nailbars are using product with MMA so maybe it would be easier to get off.
Hopefully someone with recent experience of this can help soon !!

So could I soak/file what I can off then overlay with creative then eventually it will grow out?

You can either infill like izzidoll suggested or you can soak off and start fresh with your lovely CND products.

Soaking off MMA product is a nightmare but I've managed it in about an hour. I have 2 soak off bowls so I prep the first hand and pop it in then start on the other. My soak off bowls have a little attachment under where you put your fingers where warm water goes, I find it really helps speed up the process.

Be prepared for the strong smell too, it's not pleasant! Good luck.
Rhiannon x

I never infill someone else's work, what's to say something happens to her nails after - ie - infection then she says oh I got the infection after you done the nails! X

I never infill someone else's work, what's to say something happens to her nails after - ie - infection then she says oh I got the infection after you done the nails! X

Yes this is true, I am not fond of infilling another techs work.
Rhiannon x

I soaked off a friends acrylics last week from a NSS and they took over 2 hrs to fully remove! Absolute nightmare and the nails underneath are in awful condition, paper thin. Make sure you have plenty of time!

Do you file most of it off first then soak off? Can you soak them off in wraps or does it have to be in bowls? How much extra would you charge for this and can you re-apply straight away?xx

Do you file most of it off first then soak off? Can you soak them off in wraps or does it have to be in bowls? How much extra would you charge for this and can you re-apply straight away?xx

I wouldn't file it, it stinks of fish & you don't want to breath that dust in (if it's mma) soak in a bowl, it's like chewing gum, definately charge extra & reapply if it's safe to do so when you see what is underneath :eek: (that's what I'd do anyway) x

Hiya I had to do this 2 weeks ago I started to file and yes it smelt like fish made me gag so I soaked in bowels leaving them for 20 mins took an orange wood stick and just gathered the gummy product coz I found by filing your files are ruined it all stick to them and u can't even feel the grit eventually then put them back in for another 20 orange wood stick and then back in for 20 then file any that is left with a light grit file xx

My preference is to reduce as much as possible by e-file and hand-file, leave a tiny bit there, and rebalance over it and let it grow out.

This avoids the overly long soak in remover, which is ridiculously lengthy and overdrying to nails and skin.
Also avoids exposing any damaged nail plate that will likely be sensitive (why cause unecessary discomfort)
And lastly, I've found that quality product is not a fan of sticking to damaged nail plates, another reason not to expose the damage.
We all know what repetitive lifting does....creates more damage.

I find this to be the gentlest, most time & cost effective approach for everyone involved.

hth's

I have been following this thread closely as I also have a friend coming soon to remove her NSS applied acyrilcs , which she has infilled every few weeks.

I was going to file them down slightly, and soak in acetone bowl (URGH) but wondering now if I shouldn't , as she wants to try Shellac.

I don't want to spend hours either , as I am not charging her full rate.
Her nails are long , and I have advised her that I will need to cut some of the length off .
Starting to worry now! :confused:

I personally would never work on MMA acrylic so no infills or rebalance on them with me, I usually get them soaked off quite quick, by putting acetone bowls in hot water and taking layer off dissolved acrylic a bit by bit every 10-15 mins x

I am only just starting out, I have seen MMA nails on the lady in the post office and a few girls from the school, or at least I think it's MMA. It looks different it's like an opaque coloure and it's very thick they have also told me where they have there nails done which leads me to believe it's MMA. To tell you the truth if somebody comes to me with these nails I think I would be terrified to deal with them at first. This stuff sounds horrendous.xx

I think what we need to understand is, the only way to confirm if a liquid contains MMA is to have a sample of it and then send it off to a lab for testing.

MMA can not be seen with the naked eye, the 'fishy' smell and the 'concrete' texture may only be signs of cheap, low end powders. The hardness of it may not even be MMA, it could be anything.

I have been a nail techinician for 7 years and I have heard of MMA, but I would also be the first to put my hand up and say I don't know exactly what MMA liquid and nails look like. Because up until now, I have not yet had any type of confirmation face-to-face from any factual source (scientist) to confirm to me and say 'Yes, these liquid definitely contains MMA and these are MMA nails.'

I understand MMA is a problem and I understand we are all very passionate about protecting our career and businesses. But sometimes, I also think we are all too quick to assume things.

Last edited:
I think what we need to understand is, the only way to confirm if a powder contains MMA is to have a sample of it and then send it off to a lab for testing.

MMA can not be seen with the naked eye, the 'fishy' smell and the 'concrete' texture may only be signs of cheap, low end powders. The hardness of it may not even be MMA, it could be anything.

I have been a nail techinician for 7 years and I have heard of MMA powders, but I would also be the first to put my hand up and say I don't know exactly what MMA powders and nails look like. Because up until now, I have not yet had any type of confirmation face-to-face from any factual source (scientist) to confirm to me and say 'Yes, these powders definitely contains MMA and these are MMA nails.'

I understand MMA is a problem and I understand we are all very passionate about protecting our career and businesses. But sometimes, I also think we are all too quick to assume things.

Thank you for your post, flower! IMHO, you have hit the nail on the head. I wish we could archive the term NSS...I personally think it gives a false impression of salons.

Discount salons and NSS are NOT one in the same.

If you ever soaked off mma acrylics you would have notice how differently is it coming off x

I did my friends the other day, i dont no if it is MMA but it was hard as hell to get off. I filed down loads first and cut the tips down to where her nail under it was. it took 2 -1/2 hours 3 files and 2 bowls of acetone with hot water under them to get them off. not to mention the elbow grease that was put in to file the bulk down :/

She had, had them on for 4 weeks and there was no lifting apart from being really far down her nail bed. she had tried to pick them off but she couldn't as they would not lift.

her nails after where very thin and seemed to have what looked like ridges from the file that was used. she said when she had hers done they where sore for a few days.

If you ever soaked off mma acrylics you would have notice how differently is it coming off x

'Different' doesn't neccessarily mean it is MMA.
'Different' could just mean that it is different from EMA.
Something that doesn't seem to be made out of EMA doesn't necessarily mean that it is definitely made of MMA.

P.S: I have soaked off discount store L+P nails before.:wink2::biggrin:

Latest posts

Back