do u mobile girls have a nail table to take...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id be too embarrassed to ask to use their ironing board!! they'd probably think i was mad or something.
At the moment i use clients kitchen/dining tables, but on lady has a breakfast bar which is good cos we sit either side.
I'm looking at getting a fold up nail table though as i have had an ambundance of students lately and end up on bedroom floors which isn't ideal xx

id be too embarrassed to ask to use their ironing board!! they'd probably think i was mad or something.
At the moment i use clients kitchen/dining tables, but on lady has a breakfast bar which is good cos we sit either side.
I'm looking at getting a fold up nail table though as i have had an ambundance of students lately and end up on bedroom floors which isn't ideal xx
Me and you both Rach,I would sooner cough up and buy the desk than suffer the embarrassment of asking for their ironing board.:eek:

Sorry Odette,

But my tutor recommended and it serves the purpose, I don't think it unprofessional at all, plus If I have a client who stays 4 flights up or higher I'd have to lug the table and my heavy bag... I just think it simplifies things.
All my clients so far have rebooked so don't think they mind.

I use the clients ironing board. Its the perfect width and is hight adjustable. Just make sure you put a cloth or sheet over it, incase of any product spiladge. It saves you a hell of alot of space and less heaving equipment in and out of the car.

I'm with you Jen

Yes it does simplifie things but does it look professional ? IMO no it doesn't.

If a tech is chraging salon prices they should be takin salon standard equipment....

Sorry Odette,

But my tutor recommended and it serves the purpose, I don't think it unprofessional at all, plus If I have a client who stays 4 flights up or higher I'd have to lug the table and my heavy bag... I just think it simplifies things.
All my clients so far have rebooked so don't think they mind.

I use the clients ironing board. Its the perfect width and is hight adjustable. Just make sure you put a cloth or sheet over it, incase of any product spiladge. It saves you a hell of alot of space and less heaving equipment in and out of the car.

I'm with you Jen
Your tutor obviously has no idea about professional standards then.:rolleyes::grr:
Do you wear a uniform when you go out to do nails? That is being professional. I'd lump having the correct tools & equipment for the job in the same category.
Next you'll be pushing back the cuticle with a butter knife or something. Sounds funny I know, but both would give a bad impression.
For the sake of about £50 (only a couple of rebalances), do yourself a favour, get a decent table.
They are smaller and just as lightweight as an ironing board.

It has taken a lot of us mobile nail technicians alot to convince the public that being a mobile nail technician is a serious road in our career.
We offer a bespoke professional service which is designed to meet individual clients needs and wants....that's why we are mobile isn't it...not to set up a make shift hobby horse business and offer cut price no frills service.
A lot of us mobile techs have built up a really good business are seem to start make the public and our industry we mean business.
Every thing that is implemented in a salon should be just the same whether mobile or at home.
So you go into a salon you sit down the nail technicians pulls across an ironing board sets up her kit in her shorts and t shirt and viola nail service begins.
You would not expect it in a salon and i would not expect nail technician's to do these things in someone else's home.
A uniform of some sort i think is paramount....salon whites, blacks, polo shirt with your loge....denotes professionalism and self worth in your job and skills, you take your mobile clients just as serious as salon clients...
If you tend to set up being a mobile nail technician then why start when you are not equip enough, buy your equipment first before you even think about offering mobile services.
mobile nail technicians are not about offering a tenner a time nails on a flippin ironing board, we are about charging the same as salons would do and more because the services we are providing again are professional personal and hopefully our skills have the same standards to charge accordingly.
We the majority of mobile nail technicians take our jobs very seriously.
You all have a voice when it comes to expressing opinions on the local non standard salon (nss).....be careful because there may be a new wave of (nsm).......non-standard mobile

I take a large fluffy towel with me and use my clients ironing board I can adjust the hight to what ever chairs they have and all my disposables get wrapped in the towel and taken abway with me. No mess and more importantly no back ache:lol:

Your tutor obviously has no idea about professional standards then.:rolleyes::grr:
Do you wear a uniform when you go out to do nails? That is being professional. I'd lump having the correct tools & equipment for the job in the same category.
Next you'll be pushing back the cuticle with a butter knife or something. Sounds funny I know, but both would give a bad impression.
For the sake of about £50 (only a couple of rebalances), do yourself a favour, get a decent table.
They are smaller and just as lightweight as an ironing board.

have to agree i am afraid, it does look much more pro xxxxxxx

I have a table which I take to my clients, its white and its a peanut shaped. A little too heavy but it does the trick! Looks professional as well!

It has taken a lot of us mobile nail technicians alot to convince the public that being a mobile nail technician is a serious road in our career.
We offer a bespoke professional service which is designed to meet individual clients needs and wants....that's why we are mobile isn't it...not to set up a make shift hobby horse business and offer cut price no frills service.
A lot of us mobile techs have built up a really good business are seem to start make the public and our industry we mean business.
Every thing that is implemented in a salon should be just the same whether mobile or at home.
So you go into a salon you sit down the nail technicians pulls across an ironing board sets up her kit in her shorts and t shirt and viola nail service begins.
You would not expect it in a salon and i would not expect nail technician's to do these things in someone else's home.
A uniform of some sort i think is paramount....salon whites, blacks, polo shirt with your loge....denotes professionalism and self worth in your job and skills, you take your mobile clients just as serious as salon clients...
If you tend to set up being a mobile nail technician then why start when you are not equip enough, buy your equipment first before you even think about offering mobile services.
mobile nail technicians are not about offering a tenner a time nails on a flippin ironing board, we are about charging the same as salons would do and more because the services we are providing again are professional personal and hopefully our skills have the same standards to charge accordingly.
We the majority of mobile nail technicians take our jobs very seriously.
You all have a voice when it comes to expressing opinions on the local non standard salon (nss).....be careful because there may be a new wave of (nsm).......non-standard mobile
My thoughts exactly Joanne. :eek:
This needed repeating!

I was wondering the same thing actually earlier today. And I was thinking of using one of those small portable folding tv dinner table things, I don't know what you'd actually call them. I saw that someone else is doing the same. I think it would work perfect. I agree with other ppl here too that I would be embarassed to ask for their ironing board lol though it would work. but i want it to look like I came prepared.

Susie,

Why are people having promlems with an ironing board? I just dont get it!!!!
I wear a uniform, use all my professional products, take my light, towels, nappy bags for rubbish at the end of the day if your giving them great service being professional what is the big deal about using an ironing board! And as for using a butter knife to push back cuticles think you've taken that to far Odette, come on now I'm still a professional
All my clients take me seriously and whats more rebook everytime, after this post was initially done I actually asked my clients if they would prefer me to bring a table and they all said dont be daft!
My opinion your clients must be snobs and as for my tutor Margo, just ask Izzidoll shes great

I take a large fluffy towel with me and use my clients ironing board I can adjust the hight to what ever chairs they have and all my disposables get wrapped in the towel and taken abway with me. No mess and more importantly no back ache:lol:

I think when you are starting out there is no reason why a mobile nail technican couldn't use a ironing board if they haven't acquired a mobile table or if there is no table to use (i've been to many a clients that doesn't have a table) -

However I do think it does look more professional if you turn up with your own table and stool/chair + other kit.

I look at it this way I wouldn't expect a Beauty Therapist to work on me in my home on my couch or bed.

The best mobile table i've seen is on the REM web site but IMO its too much money for what it is.

At the moment as I do not have a proper manicure table I take an old camping table. I think it's better than an ironing board, I am waiting till my business account opens so I can buy a table, don't have the money at the moment.

Susie,

Why are people having promlems with an ironing board? I just dont get it!!!!
I wear a uniform, use all my professional products, take my light, towels, nappy bags for rubbish at the end of the day if your giving them great service being professional what is the big deal about using an ironing board! And as for using a butter knife to push back cuticles think you've taken that to far Odette, come on now I'm still a professional
All my clients take me seriously and whats more rebook everytime, after this post was initially done I actually asked my clients if they would prefer me to bring a table and they all said dont be daft!
My opinion your clients must be snobs and as for my tutor Margo, just ask Izzidoll shes great
I'm sorry, I have to disagree. You say you are a professional, but you are obviously still using an ironing board, and defending your actions.:grr:
You obviously have built up a reasonable business as your clients are re-booking, then why oh why have you not bought a liteweight portable table yet? My table is not much heavier than an ironing board, it's also shorter in length, less cumbersome, and it cost no more than two rebalances.
I agree for student techs, they have to start somewhere, and as long as they are getting the correct equipment as soon as they can, we should cut them some slack. But as for you who obviously is well established from what you say, it's just not good enough. You're letting the whole industry down by not having a fully professional image. Like Joanne said, are we now to deal with a whole new breed of NSM's (non standard mobiles)?:(

At the moment as I do not have a proper manicure table I take an old camping table. I think it's better than an ironing board, I am waiting till my business account opens so I can buy a table, don't have the money at the moment.

At least you're trying, a camping table is slightly more professional looking than an ironing board. Just watch your back as it may be the wrong height for you to comfortably work at for too long. Good on you for aspiring to get the correct equipment in the end.:hug:

I'm sorry, I have to disagree. You say you are a professional, but you are obviously still using an ironing board, and defending your actions.:grr:
You obviously have built up a reasonable business as your clients are re-booking, then why oh why have you not bought a liteweight portable table yet? My table is not much heavier than an ironing board, it's also shorter in length, less cumbersome, and it cost no more than two rebalances.
I agree for student techs, they have to start somewhere, and as long as they are getting the correct equipment as soon as they can, we should cut them some slack. But as for you who obviously is well established from what you say, it's just not good enough. You're letting the whole industry down by not having a fully professional image. Like Joanne said, are we now to deal with a whole new breed of NSM's (non standard mobiles)?:(

I've been reading this thread this interest and whilst I agree that it may not be ideal, I do feel you are being alittle harsh.

I work mainly from home (home studio with table not ironing board;) ), however I normally go mobile one day a week. I too use my customers ironing board:smack:. If I only offered one system (ie l&P), then I would willingly carry a table, but as I offer l&p, gel and bio-sculpture, not to mention enamels, retail, towels, couch roll, two gel lamps and extension lead,I'm not prepared to carry three heavy bags/cases and a table and chairs.

Maybe if I was mobile full time it would be worth looking into a decent table (for my back posture, not the looking professional aspect). The service you offer and the products you use is what makes someone a professional jmo

I don't mean to be harsh, but I feel very strongly about this. When I take all my kit out, I have l&p, fiberglass, natural nail care, polishes, table and lamp, client record cards & diary etc. (not to mention my couch & waxing trolley if needed.)
Yes it can be a lot but I work smart with my storage solutions, as I feel if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it properly.
I've tried hard to put my point across without being offensive, but I will stick to my principles. If we are to be mobile, we should be doing it professionally, presenting a smart & efficient working environment at all times.

when i was mobile i used the clients ironing boards....i didn't feel any less professional than any of you and if you feel that i was then thats up to you...i don't see it as a attachment to NSS as for me those places are not called that because of the type of table they use...!!!...its about standards of hygiene, work and customer service...i have always provided 100% in all of those so please don't start throwing unkind and uncalled for names around like "NSM"....

I now work from home and use a table from ikea for £25....its not a professional nail table for £500....!!!...is that ok...???

It's not about price, I used a standard desk when I was salon based, as long as it's able to be cleaned & disinfected that's the main thing.
Therein lies my problem with ironing boards, how do you sanitise or disinfect a working surface like that? I know we all use clean towels etc, but we would surely still sanitise our working surface?

It's not about price, I used a standard desk when I was salon based, as long as it's able to be cleaned & disinfected that's the main thing.
Therein lies my problem with ironing boards, how do you sanitise or disinfect a working surface like that? I know we all use clean towels etc, but we would surely still sanitise our working surface?

nothing i used came into contact with the ironing board...i chlorispray'd everything...and it was all covered up...

I am not saying i agree that an ironing board is better than a mobile table...just that i don't agree that anyone who does use one is in the same lines of a NSS...or NSM as you put it.

Latest posts

Back