do u mobile girls have a nail table to take...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst I'll agree that we should cut those just starting out some slack. I feel that experienced techs (especially those earning enough to buy a table) should be working with all the correct equipment. When I moved house (away from my home salon), the first things I went and bought as a matter of principle were a mobile couch and nail table. Just MHO. I don't mean any offence to anyone:hug:, I just feel very strongly on the subject.

PLAOH I understand what your saying but how do you think mobile beauty therapists cope ? I sometimes have to carry a couch, bag of towels, case full of products & a small bag of equipment I would never say to a client im not prepared to carry a couch so i'll use your bed if thats ok !! :grr:

The reason i carry all those things is I choose to be a mobile therapist if I didn't want to carry them then id stop being mobile.

nothing i used came into contact with the ironing board...i chlorispray'd everything...and it was all covered up...

I am not saying i agree that an ironing board is better than a mobile table...just that i don't agree that anyone who does use one is in the same lines of a NSS...or NSM as you put it.

I have to agree NSS is not a fair comparison to the use of an ironing board as a platform - as long as clean towels are used and new couch role and clean tools are used it's not unsanitary or really causing harm.

As long as hygene is paramount it's not the end of the world.

Thinking on, I sit on the floor when doing a pedi is that unprofessional as i don't have a mobile pedicure throne:eek:

I have never been to a fashion show or prepared nails for them.... I was wondering if someone who is a session tech let us know how they cope when they work in these circumstances. Just a wonder... I've heard (in magazines) some pretty hard conditions to work in, I've also got (somewhere) in a magazine Sam Sweet working on another geeks nails on corner of a table. :)
I do think, at the end of the day, you do have to work with what you have got most of the time. Some techs who are mobile can't carry another piece of equipment for whatever reason, some can't afford it. If there is a table to work from then fair enough - it is not ideal (especially for the tech I feel). I hate being mobile for lots of reasons, and not having suitable working table is one of them.

I said all the clients I have had have rebooked, but I did'nt say how many believe me I started out in Nov 2006 but its still slow for me(plus I'm still building up on stock items such as spa sets, varnishes etc so thats where all my money is going), I will eventually get a table but to be perfectly honest I'd still prefer to use a clients ironing board until I can afford a bigger car. Not really a fan of small tables as you usually cant adjust them or get all you gear to fit on it without knocking it off lol, not to mention the sore back!
Some people are being a bit harsh at the end of the day some of us think it is prefectly acceptable where as some think its unprofessional I think both sides of the debate are getting really miffed, I can see there point but to be honest if everything else about a mobile tech screams professional and the customers rebook because of your skill not your table.

Sarah Ironing board camp lol

I have just ordered my mobile table.
So far I have been using the ironing board technique, which I have to say is very effective and so easy - but I have only been working on friends and family, so it didn't really matter.
I wanted to get a table for when I go mobile because I think us mobilies get tarred with the cheap brush far to easy. People seem to assume that a mobile tech or therapist will be cheaper than going to a salon. Why should we be? I for one have paid ALOT of money for my training and kit & I take what I do very seriously. Infact, I am probably better trained than some of the techs working in the salons......
If I want people to value my training and skill, then I have to show them that I do. There are not many people who can get over first impressions - no matter how good your work is. Sad but true.

I have to agree NSS is not a fair comparison to the use of an ironing board as a platform - as long as clean towels are used and new couch role and clean tools are used it's not unsanitary or really causing harm.

Thinking on, I sit on the floor when doing a pedi is that unprofessional as i don't have a mobile pedicure throne:eek:
I dont think this is a fair comparison,after all you couldn't carry a pedi throne with you,if mobile,it's the same as saying that we should carry an electric, static couch with us when mobile.

Hey, maybe I could start doing my facials and waxing on clients settees,or do their next massage on their beds.I mean it would save my back wouldn't it????????:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm afraid so Louise !!:lol:

I dont think this is a fair comparison,after all you couldn't carry a pedi throne with you,if mobile,it's the same as saying that we should carry an electric, static couch with us when mobile.

Hey, maybe I could start doing my facias and waxing on clients settees,or do their next massage on their beds.I mean it would save my back wouldn't it????????:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why is it not reasonable comparison? An ironing board is only a platform to perform a service which doesn't actually limit the service being provided, even if it's not ideal however i'm asking the question is it acceptable to sit on the floor when doing a pedi? A bed is not a reasonable comparison as it would limit the access to the client which is the main consideration afterall

Where does one draw the line on equipment to take out on the road - if i get anymore i'll be driving a luton van around LOL

I do think the clients do have an accepting/accomodating attitude when having home treatments as they realise there are limitations to the amount of equipment that a therapist can transport in one working day so sometimes a limitation of space does make apply - if i've not had the room i've left my table behind and still carried out a proficient and skilled service as a professional.

Why is it not reasonable comparison? An ironing board is only a platform to perform a service which doesn't actually limit the service being provided, even if it's not ideal however i'm asking the question is it acceptable to sit on the floor when doing a pedi? A bed is not a reasonable comparison as it would limit the access to the client which is the main consideration afterall

Where does one draw the line on equipment to take out on the road - if i get anymore i'll be driving a luton van around LOL

I do think the clients do have an accepting/accomodating attitude when having home treatments as they realise there are limitations to the amount of equipment that a therapist can transport in one working day so sometimes a limitation of space does make apply - if i've not had the room i've left my table behind and still carried out a proficient and skilled service as a professional.
Actually I was not referring to you sitting on the floor performing a pedi.I dont see that as being unprofessional,but you could hurt your back.

What I am referring to is using a clients ironing board for manicure/enhancements.This I do see as being unprofessional.An ironing board is for ironing,not carrying out a professional service,FFS we want to be taken seriously dont we???????

I am not going to reiterate everything I have already written as to my reasons,have a look at previous replies in this thread then you will see why I feel this way.

I have a huge amount of equipment and I have a Fiat so I know all about the space issue.I also have a very bad back,if I cant use the correct equipment I would rather NOT be mobile,just stick to my salon job only.

I don't think sitting on floor to do pedi is unprofessional but I personally would rather use chairs as in a salon (well all the salons ive worked in have used them)

As Babs said an iron board is for ironing just like a nail station is for doing nails.

If ironing boards are so brilliant as mobile nail stations then why hasn't a company developed a table like it for nails.....Why ? Because its a ruddy ironing board !

Imo opinion it looksunprofessional. Imagine if you hired a window cleaner & they turned up with no ladder & asked to borrow your windowlene ? Id be thinking if he can't afford his equipment then he shouldn't be running his own business.

Susie,

Why are people having promlems with an ironing board? I just dont get it!!!!
I wear a uniform, use all my professional products, take my light, towels, nappy bags for rubbish at the end of the day if your giving them great service being professional what is the big deal about using an ironing board! And as for using a butter knife to push back cuticles think you've taken that to far Odette, come on now I'm still a professional
All my clients take me seriously and whats more rebook everytime, after this post was initially done I actually asked my clients if they would prefer me to bring a table and they all said dont be daft!
My opinion your clients must be snobs and as for my tutor Margo, just ask Izzidoll shes great

here here!!!! i don't know whats wrong with an iron board if its covered up with plastic sheeting and towels it still loks professional just the same as these portable tables. ok here is the question what did mobile professionals use 20 years ago? guess what every body the good old ironing board
when i trained my tutor told me some stories and thats what she she used was'nt any of these mobile tables out then.
i think as long as your ask the client pror treatment it shouldn't matter what you use

Hey, maybe I could start doing my facials and waxing on clients settees,or do their next massage on their beds.I mean it would save my back wouldn't it????????:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

regarding the clients bed i have used and settee i have asked the client before hand it doesn't bothered them i don't think really matters on what you use as long the client enjoys the treatment and you do a wonderfull job
and get paid for it. not like we looking after the royal family is it now with our tables made of gold

when i was mobile i used the clients ironing boards....i didn't feel any less professional than any of you and if you feel that i was then thats up to you...i don't see it as a attachment to NSS as for me those places are not called that because of the type of table they use...!!!...its about standards of hygiene, work and customer service...i have always provided 100% in all of those so please don't start throwing unkind and uncalled for names around like "NSM"....

I now work from home and use a table from ikea for £25....its not a professional nail table for £500....!!!...is that ok...???

i agree with you as long as you follow the hygiene rules it shouldn't be a problem not like some of you on here

regarding the clients bed i have used and settee i have asked the client before hand it doesn't bothered them i don't think really matters on what you use as long the client enjoys the treatment and you do a wonderfull job
and get paid for it. not like we looking after the royal family is it now with our tables made of gold
No it's not like we are carrying out treatments on the Royal family but our clients look to us to be professional,and for me I treat all my cliens as though they are Royalty,and do you know what,they appreciate this.

I want to give my clients as professional treatment as I can.I want them to have everything they would if they went to a salon,not a second rate service,just because I am mobile.(I'm not necessarily saying this about ironing boards)

Some of these people cant get to a salon for whatever reason,i.e disability,childcare.Does that mean they should be treated any different?I know it's not a matter of life or death if a manicure/nail enhancements were carried out on an ironing board,but well.....you know my opinion,but doing waxing on someone's settee is another issue altogether.

What if you had to do a full leg,underarm,bikini,eyebrows and lip/chin wax,how do you think your back is going to feel at the end of your treatment,do you think you will give as good a treatment as you would had your client been on a professional couch?I suggest to you that you would be in agony,bending down like that,probably give a far lesser treatment than if you were in the correct stance,using the correct equipment.

Using a clients settee is not practical for our backs never mind anything else,but hey,you carry on using their settees for your waxing,but I guarantee it wont be long before your back starts suffering and what about when you get a client that actually minds very much about you wanting to carry out your waxing treatment on their settee,what are you going to do then????I wouldn't let you do your waxing on me on my leather settee,and I know a lot of other people that wouldn't as well.What if you damage the settee????

Anyway,enough said by me.I think I have made my point,each to their own I guess.:green:

When you start out it is hard to get everything you want. I didn't have a nail table at first as couldn't afford one and made my products the most important thing.

I have a mobile table now which i got from Sally's and wouldn't be without it now. I think, as long as your client is happy with the service you provide, which they are paying for, you do it in a professional manner and abide by all the health and safety rules, then i don't see what the problem is.

Everyone has to start somewhere and once you are earning more money then you invest in the more expensive items and go from there.

If clients are happy at the end of the day, they will keep coming back to you, regardless of what you have or don't have.

Can I ask do you charge 'salon' prices ?

If you do then how do you justify it if you aren't even taking your own couch ?

When I started out mobile I bought everything I needed & more as I didn't want to be a 2nd rate mobile therapist with half the equipment I wanted to be the best.

Some of my clients might not be the royal family but are very wealthy and there is no way I would turn up without a couch or nail station. I would be embarrased to even ask if i could use the sofa.

Don't know if you read the thread about dermalogica not supplying to mobile therapists but the is why !! They don't want to be associated with facials on the sofa :eek:

When you start out it is hard to get everything you want. I didn't have a nail table at first as couldn't afford one and made my products the most important thing.
Everyone has to start somewhere and once you are earning more money then you invest in the more expensive items and go from there.
I do understand that, and you have done things the right way by getting a table when you could. I know it takes time to afford everything you need.

However, those of you who are earning money from your business and not yet getting the appropriate equipment astound me. It beggars belief to hear about waxing on the clients settee.:grr: I never even did that as a student, my standards were higher.
Do you have the apropriate insurance cover in case you damage the clients furniture? Accidents do happen, none of us are infallible. If your insurance does cover damage to clients furniture, do the insurers not stipulate that professional equipment must be used to lessen the risks of this type of damage?
As for ironing boards being used before mobile table were invented, what kind of argument is that? They were invented for a reason, for professional nail techs to work on.

No it's not like we are carrying out treatments on the Royal family but our clients look to us to be professional,and for me I treat all my cliens as though they are Royalty,and do you know what,they appreciate this.

I want to give my clients as professional treatment as I can.I want them to have everything they would if they went to a salon,not a second rate service,just because I am mobile.(I'm not necessarily saying this about ironing boards)

Some of these people cant get to a salon for whatever reason,i.e disability,childcare.Does that mean they should be treated any different?I know it's not a matter of life or death if a manicure/nail enhancements were carried out on an ironing board,but well.....you know my opinion,but doing waxing on someone's settee is another issue altogether.

What if you had to do a full leg,underarm,bikini,eyebrows and lip/chin wax,how do you think your back is going to feel at the end of your treatment,do you think you will give as good a treatment as you would had your client been on a professional couch?I suggest to you that you would be in agony,bending down like that,probably give a far lesser treatment than if you were in the correct stance,using the correct equipment.

Using a clients settee is not practical for our backs never mind anything else,but hey,you carry on using their settees for your waxing,but I guarantee it wont be long before your back starts suffering and what about when you get a client that actually minds very much about you wanting to carry out your waxing treatment on their settee,what are you going to do then????I wouldn't let you do your waxing on me on my leather settee,and I know a lot of other people that wouldn't as well.What if you damage the settee????

Anyway,enough said by me.I think I have made my point,each to their own I guess.:green:

I have to say I completely agree with you and couldn't have put it better myself!

Can I ask do you charge 'salon' prices ?

If you do then how do you justify it if you aren't even taking your own couch ?

When I started out mobile I bought everything I needed & more as I didn't want to be a 2nd rate mobile therapist with half the equipment I wanted to be the best.

Some of my clients might not be the royal family but are very wealthy and there is no way I would turn up without a couch or nail station. I would be embarrased to even ask if i could use the sofa.

Don't know if you read the thread about dermalogica not supplying to mobile therapists but the is why !! They don't want to be associated with facials on the sofa :eek:

are you suggesting that i am 2nd rate therapist as i am not i have said i have used a settee but if you have my my post i have asked the client prior to the treatments i do whilst they are bookng i have a couch and nail station but i ask them before hand, just because i don't use the 2 named equipment any less qualified than you, but hey thats your opinion and every one has their own right in what they do and use don't they.
and i still have all my clients booking again again and doesn't matter how much i charge its the treatment i do i always make them feel relaxed with sented candles and relaxing music playing in the back ground and most of clients are elderly and disabled

Latest posts

Back