Do you answer your biz phone while doing a service?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you answer your biz phone during client service?

• Always

Votes: 29 15.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 50 26.9%
  • Rarely

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • Never

Votes: 59 31.7%

• Total voters
I'm not in that postition, yet!!

But it has set me thinking....... When I'm at the hairdressers, if the salon phone rings, she always stops doing my hair n answers the phone, she's always really quick ie. either takes an appointment or tells the person she's with a client and will call back, however it DOES irk me a bit:green:

On the other hand, once I'm in the position, (soon I hope, lol) I won't want to miss out on a client, so all this poll has done is confuse me further, lol :green:

I really don't know what is the right balance between, politeness and looking after your own business interests!

Will be following this poll with interest........

I always let mine go to the answer machine. Most of my clients use text, so it is less obtrusive. I always reply to my texts or call back when I finish with each client. This works for me.

Julie xxx

I did put always as i feel i should, but if i know it is a friend calling then i don't. If i know it is another client, i will say excuse me to my client, then answer it even if it's just to say i will call you back.

All my clients understand as i have my mobile on me at all times and it is my business phone. I am mobile, so i feel i do need to, but i keep it short and sweet.

IMO it looks unprofessional to answer the phone whilst carrying out a treatment - handsfree or not, but then I guess it depends on the relationship you have with the client.

I reckon if the phone call was that important they would leave a message, I always call back as soon as I pick up the message between clients.

I put rarely, as I too have my phone on silent and will call them back when I am free, that's if they leave a message!

Quite a few of my clients text me also.

I look at the number on the handset and then decide whether to answer. I always ask the client if they mind as I won't be a moment. I never chat - if it's another client, booking/changing times, I'll just put it in the diary and ring off or I'll tell any personal/family callers that I will call back as I'm working.

IMO it looks unprofessional to answer the phone whilst carrying out a treatment - handsfree or not, but then I guess it depends on the relationship you have with the client.

I reckon if the phone call was that important they would leave a message, I always call back as soon as I pick up the message between clients.

This is me too.

at our shop, the rule is, whoever is free or closest to the phone.
the client has to understand, if it was them calling, they wouldn't want to be ignored.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

I answer my mobile if it's a client, and tell them I'll ring them back as soon as I have finished my appointment. To be honest it doesn't happen that much as I have no more room for new clients at the moment, as I am part time tech part time mum of 2 year old.

I said sometimes as it depends on what I'm doing. I work from home and only have the one line. If I'm with a nail client and I'm at a part of the service which allows me to, then I politely excuse myself and answer. I just can't afford not to. If it's a client their not going to wait for your return call, they'll just phone someone else. The clients just don't seem to mind anyway.

It happened the other day and my client said 'oh get that, don't loose business' which I thought was nice of her.

If I'm doing my other therapies, Reflexology and Reiki then the phone left in the house at all times.

Same with me, if I don't answer then I miss a new client opportunity. Most new clients don't like to leave a message, so they phone the next number in the book:smack:

I only answer if it is a local number (then I can guarantee it is work related). Friends and family have to call me in the evening or leave a message.
Me too....I never answer my personal mobile when with a client though.

i very rarely answer my fone during treatments

i have a few times but they were emergencies

Not anymore.

I 'used' to take calls while doing nails. But got fed up. People would tell my hubby "oh, I just need her for a second" and they'd hold me hostage, slow me down...
And since I ask clients not to talk on their cell phones........:grr:

So now, I do not take one single call. Some people still try to get pushy with my hubby. But after I flipped out at him, he now stands firm and repeats "would like you like to leave a message, she's with a client".

Some are irked. But I point out how it slows me down and annoys me if clients are answering their cell phones, so I afford them the same courtesy and do not take ANY calls. I can't pick and choose which calls I'll take, so I don't take any. If someone's on the verge of death, FINE. Otherwise, leave a message

:wink2:

Yes, I always try to take the phone. My customers understands that I can't run a business without taking the phone. I always excuse myself for taking it, and they always tell me how important it is for me, to take the phone. :) However, if I did facials or massage, I would not take the phone. AND if it's a family member or a friend, I always tell them I am bussy.

If you called a new hairdresser and only got an answering machine, would you leave a message? If nobody had recommend me to call, I would not leave a message, but call another hairdresser...

C.

Hiya
I book 2hrs for every nail appointment

This gives me time to call back my clients(clients are happy with the way i work)
Gives me time to put the kettle on for the next client
to clean up
go to the loo
take five
re apply the lippy
wash hands etc etc etc etc

I always check my incoming calls..if a new client is expected/lost, so i can direct them in.

Jenx

I have it on silent x

I never answer my biz phone during clients because it is on answering machine and I pick up my messages inbetween treatments and try and deal with clients queries.

I never answer as i think it's unprofessional and rude especially if your doing a massage...i leave mine to go to answerphone then call them back as soon as i can.

Latest posts

Back