do you think you're good enough ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

Reaction score
hi all,
my question is do you and have you always thought that you are good enough at your nail tech job ??? i have only ever worked on my own never in a nail salon so i have only myself to criticize my work which is what i seem to be forever doing, last night i tried to alter the way i think by looking at the positives but it didn't really work, i worry about IF there is going to be any lifting, IF the smiles arnt quite uniform IF i have sanitized the nail enough etc etc etc! any ideas :eek:

I have to believe i am good enough otherwise i don't think i could do it anymore....I am good enough. The reason i say that is because of the return clients i get and the referrals i get from my clients.

I know what you mean about working alone cos I work alone and do sometimes rip my work to bits.....but what helps me is putting pics of my work on here...

Hi lilly,
I think your question is a very good one because I am mobile myself and the way I dealt with this issue is to give them a quick feedback sheet. Fortunately for me my clients come back time and time again and this is an indication that they are happy with my treatment. Do you have other mobile technicians in your area who you can go to land et them see your work. Alternatively you could display your work on this site and allow the professionals to constructively criticise your work, hope this is helpful. :)

I do think I am good enough , It took me quite a while to get to that point though,
I agree with Angie that putting your work on here really helps,
I have put so many pictures up on here in the past..and with each one I learned how to improve...

Its always constructive advice too,

I used to say to all of my clients..."if you get lifting, just give me a call and I will sort if for you" same with breakages..
Then one day Gigi put a thread up that made me think..."omg woman what are you doing "
I stopped worrying, and just concentrated harder..and stopped telling clients stuff like that,

I don't get lifting or anything now,
Yeah the odd client maybe, but you can't hold their hand and keep an eye on them for the 2 weeks lol,
I believe in myself and my work now,

If I ever feel bad about something I have done...I may have a mini diva strop...then I get all my kit out and do something to remind me..
I CAN DO THIS !
:hug:

I def think im good enough, but I always strife (sp?) to be better.

Am I good?
I believe I'm better than what else is offered in my town, if that counts?
BUT
I know of others who are DEFINATELY better than me, and many WAAAAAAAAY better.

BUT I believe that one day, if I work hard enough, I will be among the best, or pretty darn close. That's my goal.

I imagine we always find something to critique of our nails. I can't imagine anyone thinking that they are perfect. There is always that next level/goal to strive towards. If there wasn't, what would be the point? Where would the challenge be? If no challenge, I'd be bored out of my skull.
Always something new around the corner to learn.

I hope that one day, someone will say to me "I hope my nails look like yours one day".

I still have lots to learn. Courses I want to take......
One day at a time....

But am I good? I'm happy where I'm at and so are my clients, so I must be on the right track.:green:

I depends on the day!
Some days, I feel unstoppable! Other days, I don't feel I'm good enough to try to go for the "big" stuff.
When I feel a little crappy, I go over tutorials in web sites and sit an paint, draw and practice.
If I want to go for the "big time", I need to get over it!

Kathleen

Last edited by a moderator:
i am good ENOUGH, but not yet as good as i want to be.
i am better than a lot of local shops and i have a very full book.
but i want to be WORLD CLASS
i keep trying and some days i feel i am progressing and some days going backward.

i heard a very good phrase the other day in a song.
some days are DIAMONDS, some days are ROCKS.
that sums it up.

I believe i am good enough and my clients say i'm good because they wouldn't come back if i wasn't...you have to believe you are good enough and have faith in yourself and your work.

I'm always making room for improvement and i think with determination ,drive and confidence in your work you can be as good as anyone else.

Last edited:
When I start getting a few serious regulars ,I will feel Im good at my job,I seem to attract people that arent serious about having their nails done,its just something they fancy having done for a few months,and then give me the elbow with some excuse to cancel...and then I think is it me? :irked:

But saying that I do get one off clients ,asking for a few biz cards to give to friends as there pleased with what Ive done,that makes me feel good ,but I havent had any referals yet as such,but saying that one new client has made me feel really good today,shes kept on a set of sculpts I done,and I aint done a set of sculpts in ages,so Ive actually realised Im not a crap tech as some clients make me feel,like I said before I just seem to attract the crap clients,when I find the right ones I ll be back on here to say ..Yes I know I am good at what I do...so watch this space .:lol:

NO!!! I'M NOT!! This thought makes me to keep going,practice and read as much as I can...

It's only recently that I've had it confirmed that I'm 'good enough'. I've had three clients who came in a while back for a one off set of nails.

All of them have come back in this week saying they're amazed at how long they've lasted and how nice they still looked and then wanted an infill. NO LIFTING at all! Not one little bit.

...... that was 5 and a half weeks ago!! And I tell you what, they've all been the easiest infills I've ever done. One took 35 mins!! (luckily her nails didn't grow that long)

Then I had a client in on Sat and they were all lifting, but rather than apologising or saying whatever I used to say, I kept my head up high because I know that I can do good nails that last.

All it needs is one client to come back with no problems whatsoever and you feel a hundred times better and your confidence goes sky high.

Ongoing, good, education is one way to really know that you are doing well.

Your Educator should always be able to give you constructive direction, showing you where you could improve and imparting the knowledge and building the skills of how to achieve this improvement.

Yes, reputation, word-of-mouth, repeat business, are all excellent measures of your worth....but if your really want to keep getting better and better (and I can't believe anyone would not want to do so)....continuing education is an absolute MUST!

With good, ongoing training you should be building your SKILLS, your CONFIDENCE and your CLIENT BASE (therefore your PROFITS) WOOP-DE-DOO:lol:

I don't feel I am good enough with nail enhancements... this is why I moved over to beauty.

I can put on a lovely set but its the maintenance that just does my head in. I am pants at it :(

hi, although i get returns (a few with minimal lifting if any), if someone calls with any damage to their enhancements or overlays i always think its because i have done a shabby job then my confidence drops to rock bottom then i wanna give up ! boo hoo !

Very good thread...

Am I good enough, hmm NO but I'm good and practise to be better. If I'm ever going to say I'm good enough I'm afraid thats the day i will do something else and I hope that day will never come.

Luckily there is so many things to learn and so much to do better, so I keep learning and educating myself!

well, I believe I am good enough but in the same time I also believe I can do even better.

this because the day I do perfect sets all the time without even thinking that i could do still a better thing, I'd hate the job, finding it so boring.

I have the confidence and am not scared to do anything - nails or beauty treatments.

However on a personal note, I need to weigh up whether its going to beauty or nails I am passionate about.

How its acutally looking at the moment, is that I am fantastic with beauty and not nails - which I love!

well i can honestly say i have had the worst day since i started retraining 2 years ago, first i had a

french gel that i thought was average, not bad smiles but not the best 70% happy

clear infills and a paint 100% ok

toes, gel on big toes to stopping splitting and a paint 100% happy

nail art on big toe 60% happy with, ( flower wasnt central )

lastly gel nails toes, 90% happy ( REALLY REALLY short nails)

gel fingers absolulty s..t 0% happy short nails and i just i could not get the gel to stop shrinking even with freeze curing about an inch from the cuticle ! they looked like they'd got a weeks growth on them before i'd even got out the door !

when am i going to get 100% ???

if i thought i could warrent spending all the money out that i have spent i'd jak it in tommorow :irked:

I think the question needed is "do your clients think you are good enough?"
If you find them wandering it may be because they can't afford the skill....or perhaps they think YOU don't cut it.
Ask yourself what you can do to update your skills and improve but face the fact that some people are simply not prepeared to pay for quality these days.
If that's the case perhaps they need "losing"
Sorry but I am honest if nothing else mate x

Latest posts

Back