Does anyone have garra rufa fish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They've started offering this treatment in Camden Market London for £10. I think it's more of a novelty thing for them though, because it was done on a little stall and about 4 people shared one tank.
:rolleyes:

hi hunny, i have the fish in my beauty academy. they are hard work to look after but people are coming in to use them and its paying its way so fingers crossed im the first to have them in liverpool its just getting the word out. unlike the trafford i keep appointments as people dont like to wait and i also have two tanks together so people are not in the same water xx

I was having fish for dinner :confused:, think I'll have sausages now.

My feet have been eaten by fish! There are loads of just fish spa places opening up around my area so I thought I would give it a go. It was very odd I did not enjoy the experience nether did my friend, I also found it was expensive and for the same price I could have a pedicure and at least I get a massage and nice painted toe nails as well as my dry skin dealt with. With this it’s just feet in, fish nibble, feet out, you apply your foot cream and out.
The prices were 10 minutes £10.00, 20 min £15.00 and 35 minutes £20.00, I felt it was a bit expensive.

Maybe it’s just me but it feels like a bit of a fad, but then maybe I will be proven wrong and this time next year I will begging to have fish in my salon!

Holistic beauty, how were your feet afterwards? Smoother than a normal pedi? Can't bear the thought myself but interesting to hear if it actually works!

My feet were smoother nothing amazing but only had the 20 minute session once and they say you should have 35 minute session a few times to get results, but could not cope for that long! It did concern me the hygiene aspect the girls at work were reading about it on the internet and laughing telling me they will tell me after I have had it done and that was all about the nightmares of cross infection etc.

Hi

I saw these at the Professional Beauty show in Manchester. One thought I had was, what happens, if after a few clients the fish get full and then decide not to nibble. I think if I was treating myself to this I would prefer to be one of the first clients of the day to make sure they were hungry, lol.

Carole

Hi

I saw these at the Professional Beauty show in Manchester. One thought I had was, what happens, if after a few clients the fish get full and then decide not to nibble. I think if I was treating myself to this I would prefer to be one of the first clients of the day to make sure they were hungry, lol.

Carole

Good point.:lol:

Well I had my feet nibbled today, there's a new place opened in the Metrocentre up here, same as the one in the Trafford Centre I think. I have to say it was the most bizzare experience... at first I couldn't look but it did feel really good, almost like little champagne bubbles around your feet. After a few minutes it was fine.

I only had the 15 min session but I'm definitely going back, it could become my "thing"!

xx

This is certainly not a new thing and has been around for some time, to do this correctly you will need separate tanks and also a separate filtration system and lots of other equipment and hard work.

I am afraid many do not have the bona fide fish.

My good friend has a salon in Cambridge, pay her a visit.

Fish Pedicures at Skin Deep Beauty Salon Cambridge

Kind regards

HW

Hi

Carole

I read somewhere that the fish dont actually eat the skin they just nibble it off so still need to be fed (dunno if thats true)

Im thinking about offering this service too, but not sure how easy/safe it would be to set up, there are a few companies offering franchises too. Would love to hear other's experiences. x

The original use for these fish.

DOCTOR FISH (garra rufa - obtusa cyprinidae) PSORIASIS TREATMENT

The reason for banning in my state.

Washington State rules fish pedicures illegal in licensed salons
OLYMPIA — State officials have determined state law does not permit the use of fish to perform pedicure-like services in state-licensed salons. The review of this type of activity, commonly called a fish pedicure, was prompted by reports a King County salon was offering customers the opportunity to soak their feet in a tank of toothless fish that eat dead skin cells.

Department of Licensing officials visited the nail salon last week, and after seeing the operation firsthand and reviewing state laws concerning safety and sanitation, the department has notified the owners to stop this service. State law requires all tools and implements used in a pedicure to be sanitized, disinfected, or disposed of after each service to protect salon customers from the possibility of disease and infections. Since the salon cannot directly sanitize the fish, these rules do not allow for fish pedicures in Washington.

“We are greatly concerned about the safety of salon customers who choose to put their feet in a tank of live fish to eat away dead skin,” said Liz Luce, Director of the Department of Licensing. “These fish are being used as tools, and we do not believe you can properly sanitize a live fish and guarantee it doesn’t spread diseases, germs, or other infections.”

ha ha ha the previous post is very funny. Sanitising fish? Well no you can't but are you seriously going to let a client put their feet in the water who has any signs of infection or active skin condition?

Fish used do not have teeth so do not penetrate the skin, they just gum them, so they are in now way similar to the sharp cuticle knives or similar implements.

This is a case of political correctness gone mad. It has been said before, you go in the sea, you sit on a toilet seat (or hovver in most cases), you drink from wine glasses with remnants of the previous lady's lipstick (unless like me you complain and ask for a clean one), you have the same nail file as used on the previous client (most often not sanitised) and I have even seen lots of therapists not washing their hands before they touch their clients!! To bring it back to pedicures, in the salons I have been in over the years, I have very rarely seen them do little more than rinse out the foot spa.

Would I do a fish pedicure, probably not as I think it would go through me as I have ticklish feet, do I think it is wrong? I don't think so? Would it kill you? Again probably not unless you were severely allergic to something used in the treatment oh and that comment about "electric shock anyone".... that was hilarious, thank you for posting that, it's made my day and tickled me pink:lol::hug:.

Obviously, when there is a mixture of any heating element and water there is a huge safety policy implemented, how many tropical water fish do you see in pet stores floating to the surface after being electrocuted by the water heater in the tank?
x

I remembered this thread when reading a thread on another forum I belong to. I hope it's ok to post links to other forums as I think this may be of use to those looking at this. Interesting that several of the enquirers are local authority environmental health officers asking questions so I suspect it is an area where they are undecided as to regulations and rules.

I have no doubt those selling these systems say it is hygenic, but think this thread makes for some interesting and hopefully helpful reading. I know nothing about fish and didn't realise fish carry TB.

Garra Rufa Fish - Pet Forums Community

Hi

Carole

I thought if you overfeed fish they die?????:|

I had this treatment recently in Prague. What no one seems to have asked is does it work? Is it any good? It felt like very mild electrical current that wasn't unpleasant and the fish were chomping away at my feet for 30 minutes in the shop window - and afterwards I could not see or feel any difference. I had just as much hard skin as before I had the session so what's the point? I wouldn't see many customers coming back.

at the prof manchaester show, i was speaking to 1 woman and she told me you have to feed them twise a day! they dont actually eat the dead skin so they wouldnt get full! :) but you would have to go into the salon on days you wasnt open to feed them! x

This is a classic ... I would have to have this hanging in the salon Cloakroom!!

geeg-albums-popits+minx+%26amp%3B+shellac+stuff-picture33433-fish-pedicure-classic-lol.jpg

One of my clinets told me today that she had had her feet nibbled at the place in the metro centre - nobody checked her feet before they went in the tank and she had cuts on her feet, the fish nibbled away and before long they were bleeding in the tank, she told the woman and she was told to take them out and when she went passed again someone else had their feet in the same tank!

eew not for me!!

I feel sorry for the fishies, they have nothing in the tank apart from lots of fish. :|

Latest posts

Back