Does Essential Nails qualify you as Nail Technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think home learn are not awesome .. No one can say they are awesome.

Like any other correspondence course ... It is what it is. The best one can say is that they are convenient to do if you want to fit some learning in amongst other things that are more important in your life.

If nails were all important and a driving ambition, then a person would find a way of getting the best that they could get in a serious course given by a serious provider; a provider who is just as serious about seeing you become successful as you are serious about becoming a success.

Providing videos, being at the end of a phone or website, although providing a measure of support, is at best still incomplete. I would say that EN courses are the best of their type but 'awesome' has to be found elsewhere.

My own opinion but I just don't get how you can learn anything through a DVD and a book.. And I get that people are saying if you want to achieve you work hard at it but sounds like your throwing money away.
How can people learn without actually seeing someone else do it in person .. It's like passing your driving test via DVD .. It's just silly.
You can't prove work just through some photographs .. And what If you struggle with anything who would help you then.
Not having a go or trying to be nasty I just don't understand.. X

Like any other correspondence course ... It is what it is. The best one can say is that they are convenient to do if you want to fit some learning in amongst other things that are more important in your life.

If nails were all important and a driving ambition, then a person would find a way of getting the best that they could get in a serious course given by a serious provider; a provider who is just as serious about seeing you become successful as you are serious about becoming a success.

Providing videos, being at the end of a phone or website, although providing a measure of support, is at best still incomplete. I would say that EN courses are the best of their type but 'awesome' has to be found elsewhere.

I find this slightly unfair. I am serious about becoming a nail tech but it's physically impossible for me to attend classes. I cannot be in 2 places over 40 miles apart at the same time to look after my children and study. There is no one that can watch my children for me. I'm trying to do this to give my kids a better life but because of them I can't do it the traditional route. It's a very sore spot for me and to be made out to not be serious because their father isn't in the picture, his family are wastes of space and all my family work full time is pretty insulting tbh. I'm sure you didn't mean it like that but that's how it comes across.

I have done an Essential nail course and finished it. I agree with geeg if it's the only course you can do then ok but if I had found this site before I had paid for the course the I don't think I would have done it. It has given me a basic understanding of nails and acrylics but I am about to sign up to CND for a complete course.

I think if you can't go and do a course because of children then it is the best home course around. I have done very well with mine and I did enjoy it. I want to be trained by CND that's just my personal preference x

I find this slightly unfair. I am serious about becoming a nail tech but it's physically impossible for me to attend classes. I cannot be in 2 places over 40 miles apart at the same time to look after my children and study. There is no one that can watch my children for me. I'm trying to do this to give my kids a better life but because of them I can't do it the traditional route. It's a very sore spot for me and to be made out to not be serious because their father isn't in the picture, his family are wastes of space and all my family work full time is pretty insulting tbh. I'm sure you didn't mean it like that but that's how it comes across.

It may come across to you that way, but the post was not written to YOU. Not personal.

If I wanted the best for my children, and I know nothing about your personal life, my advice would be to do the training that will equip you to do your best to make something work; that makes perfect sense to me. It is what I did for my children and thank god I did. There is always a way .. whatever it takes. If you want it badly enough then 'put it out there' and a way of doing it will come to you and you will be glad you did.

9 out of 10 posts on here written by people with experience of home learn say, that EN was a start but they needed to go on and to get further training to both gain confidence and to be salon ready; that is not disrespecting EN ...it is what it is.

You can do your training once the hard way, that may require some sacrifice, and be ready to get started using really great products, or you can do it the easy way (and by no means a cheap option) and have to do more and pay more for better products and training when you have finished.

Rather than taking offence, why not listen to those who are trying to help you rather than waiting for someone to say what you want to hear because it suits you?

Time will tell.

I bought an EN course, took one look at the dvd and book and realised it wasn't for me. Even if I had completed it I would not have been confident enough to work on people..but thats just me, I need someone I can both see, email, phone or text and I have all this in my EA Kate. Who was brilliant before I even paid!!

For me the CND has been the most cost effective too.

Yes, it's been a struggle, my ex isn't in the picture, he keeps promising to help with our 4 children but it's not going to happen. My parents live away. I work 2 days a week. Every spare penny at the moment is spent on childcare and products. I have also managed to put some by for some 1-2-1 as I can't afford to do badly and I have to ensure I am the best I can be and I feel confident knowing that with the help of S2, CND and especially my EA (who even emails at night if she can see I've had a bad day in class) I will be.

Oh...and of course thanks to SG, which should be classed as an education in it's own right :D xx

It may come across to you that way, but the post was not written to YOU. Not personal.

If I wanted the best for my children, and I know nothing about your personal life, my advice would be to do the training that will equip you to do your best to make something work; that makes perfect sense to me. It is what I did for my children and thank god I did. There is always a way .. whatever it takes. If you want it badly enough then 'put it out there' and a way of doing it will come to you and you will be glad you did.

9 out of 10 posts on here written by people with experience of home learn say, that EN was a start but they needed to go on and to get further training to both gain confidence and to be salon ready; that is not disrespecting EN ...it is what it is.

You can do your training once the hard way, that may require some sacrifice, and be ready to get started using really great products, or you can do it the easy way (and by no means a cheap option) and have to do more and pay more for better products and training when you have finished.

Rather than taking offence, why not listen to those who are trying to help you rather than waiting for someone to say what you want to hear because it suits you?

Time will tell.

I'm not asking for anyone to say what I want to hear. I can't "put it out there". Unless the trainer is willing to come to me between 10 and half 2, 2 days a week then it really is impossible. I know I'm not doing this the cheap way but I am doing it the best way for my family at the moment. Luckily I have the support of friends who are in the industry and they have looked at my work and given me their opinions. They haven't actually had to tell me anything as they have been very impressed with my work but then they were expecting me to sail as they have spent the last 10 years telling me to do this as I have a "natural flair". I think that's why I found the EN course quite good as I had a bit of knowledge previous and the only thing I ever struggled with was blending.

I will go on to do further training after. One EN course is by no means making me a "master". In this industry there will always be something new, a new technique, a new product ect to learn and that's what I love. No 2 clients are the same, no 2 sets of nails identical.

In fact last night I got a call from 125 miles away to travel up and do a set of nails for someone's holiday! Not alot of people can say that when they have done a traditional course let alone a correspondence course.

Back to the original topic, there is a complete nail tech qualification EN provides, or you can do each part seperately. I'm not 100% if doing all the courses gives you the qualification of nail tech though. I never asked as I was just using it as a spring board to get a leg up so to speak. You will be insurable, everyone I have called for a quote so far have no problems accepting and EN cert.

The usual home learn debate!! Well heres my opinion.

I started off with EN did gel, acrylic with them i was very commited.

This was back in 2008 i now have a very busy and very sucessful business with a very loyal client base.

My point is that what works for.one may not work for others and no one has the right to say your not a professional nail tech if you have learnt this way.

Now thats my opinion i will wait to get shot down now ;-)

Sent from my GT-S5570 using SalonGeek

The usual home learn debate!! Well heres my opinion.

I started off with EN did gel, acrylic with them i was very commited.

This was back in 2008 i now have a very busy and very sucessful business with a very loyal client base.

My point is that what works for.one may not work for others and no one has the right to say your not a professional nail tech if you have learnt this way.

Now thats my opinion i will wait to get shot down now ;-)

Sent from my GT-S5570 using SalonGeek

Why would you get shot down? What a silly statement and meant to cause trouble.

No one has said DON'T do it. Everyone has said it is a step but only a step. And in 4 years I'm sure you have had to teach yourself more than you ever learned. Bravo you. As you say, some will and the majority wont. I now see that the poster already has been doing nails so, she only wants the cert. she is great at doing everything else but blending. Good luck.

I think if you are at home with young kids then it is a good first step and if you have friends in the nail industry that can help then your very lucky. I had no previous experience apart from having my nails done at a salon but have always loved them. I have a son who is older now and a very good day job that will allow me to train with cnd and then I would like to give my day job up but not until I have done more training. The best part of my course was the nail trainers love her x

I meant nail trainer ( my hand) x

No one has said DON'T do it. Everyone has said it is a step but only a step. And in 4 years I'm sure you have had to teach yourself more than you ever learned. Bravo you. As you say, some will and the majority wont. I now see that the poster already has been doing nails so, she only wants the cert. she is great at doing everything else but blending. Good luck.

I wasn't the person who started the thread lol. And my blending is fine now too.

ahhhhh yeah you would be insured as you send the nails back from the nail trainer for assesment! i must admit im loving the nail art courses :)

Im not saying that anyone doing an essential nails course is not a good technician. Just like a classroom education, some will be better than others.

But if you are assesed on the nails you send in from the nail trainer, you are being assessed on whether you can put a good acrylic nail on a piece of plastic, not on a client.

I think the home learn courses would gain more credibility ( as well as being more useful to the student) if there was a live assessment on human models before a pass certificate was issued.

Not silly at all thank you after being on this site many years i have seen the abuse people get for doing a home learn course so i was more than prepared for some bad response.

I was not my intention to cause trouble i was trying to put a positive spin on home learn but as usual you have to turn my comments around.

Not silly at all thank you after being on this site many years i have seen the abuse people get for doing a home learn course so i was more than prepared for some bad response.

I was not my intention to cause trouble i was trying to put a positive spin on home learn but as usual you have to turn my comments around.

There was no reason for any comment like the one you made as the thread was going along very nicely, no one was being abused in any way and there had been no bad responses; if there had been then fair enough but there hadn't been. In fact without all the many examples you say there are, I can't ever remember any instances of anyone being abused for doing a home learn course; some people do not like them or think they are not effective and that there are better ways but abuse is not allowed on this site ... what is allowed is different opinions and they should be allowed to make them without sarcastic comments from others, or fear of being 'shot down'.

I started with EN.
Have passed the UV Gel, Acrylic Sculpt, Nail Art and Mani/Pedi courses. I had not heard of anyone else (must not have looked hard enough:)
I've added up how much the above have cost plus any additional products that need to be purchased (tips, nails ect) it's quite a few pennies.
I'm now booked on the CND complete course and it's cheaper!!

How crazy wonderful would it have been to have this pointed out to me.
The reason for this is because I want to be the best i can and have more confidence. My goal is to create the nails on Gigi,s Nailclass cover.

I work full time in a travel agent at the moment so have had to sort days off to coincide with the course dates.

To the OP these dates if you are interested you can find out months in advance. I start August and have known the dates for few months. Can you sort out child care for these dates? My days are from 10-4 so not all day.

Must add though and I'm sure we all agree that no matter where we all start it is just that the start of our education. The learning never ends

Wow that's a long deep post :)

Vicki x

How can you say that "Providing videos, being at the end of a phone or website, although providing a measure of support, is at best still incomplete" the video is extensive, can be watched over and over again and you are watching the exact procedure up close the only difference being you are not in the same room, would you like to explain how it is impcomplete? and how the support is better on a classroom based course? and stating that "a provider who is just as serious about seeing you become successful as you are serious about becoming a success." is just ignorant have you bought a en course? have watched the revelant dvds? im sure you are serious about your courses but to say en courses are not as serious and succesful is unfair!
Tell me if essential nails courses are not as good then why were they finalists for best education & training in the scratch 2012! i know of plently of students that did a classroom based course and failed miserably once trying to do the clients nails at their hometown and had to go on and do yet more courses extend their knowledge!

Like i previously stated if a student is serious about their training they will go on and do well at nails no matter how they trained, there are also lots of very successful nail techs that only did en courses and have their own salons and plenty of happy clients, until anyone has actually expierenced the en courses then i think a comment on their teaching qualities is naive.

I have spoke to lots of people that did en courses & classroom based courses before embarking on mine and found that an equal number thought good of both course types, i have also been to lots of professional beauty salons that s therapists were taught in classroom based environments and the quality of the nails were not up to par a lot of the sections of the treatment were not even carried out! I suggesst you watch a en dvd & if you have done already please state what is missed that is in the classroom based courses. I for one am very pleased with the support and teaching i am receiving from the en course & i have friends that are qualified beauty therapists that have checked my work and watched the dvds and agree that the teaching is of a equal standard.

Ah ..... Fine.

Glad you think so! I do not agree.

:D

and before anyone tries to say my above comment is bacause i took something personally its not, it is MY opinion and is based on real facts from undertaking the course, doing market research through speaking to qualified therapists and receiving treatments where the therapist has no knowledge of my knowledge about nails and by speaking to people that undertook classroom based courses. I am very serious about doing great nails and feel there can be good and bad points said about both teaching types BUT one is not better than the other thay are of equal teaching qualities!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back