Driving- some questions to ask

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
Hi geeks! As you may know I have my first driving lesson booked next week, I have a few questions I want to ask you driving geeks.

1. Did you choose automatic or manual?

2. How may lessons did it take all together?

3. Did you pass first, second, third etc time?

:hug:

1) manual 2) 14 hours driving 3) first time ! and it was 7 days after my 17th birthday !

(1) Manual - learned to drive in a Peugeot 306 D Turbo.

(2) Not sure, but it took me about 3 or 4 months worth of lessons, with one or two a week...

(3) Passed second time. Was too hesitant my first time round.

Manual

seven lessons

First time
x

i did manual as it doesnt restrict the cars you can drive, or the price you pay for a car!
I did a 2 week crash course (excellent value for money!)
I passed second time- but ONLY due to nearves lol, they got the better of me and i couldnt keep my leg from twitching! (also my second test was free as the course i did was guaranteed pass!). I passed about 2 months after my 17th birthday!:)

manual...it seemed like months and 3

1st...failed for not stopping at a right turn..i thought it was a filter light....ooops

2nd...failed for speeding...but the examiner did say whilst stuck in traffic on a round about "put your foot down and get us out of here"....so i did...:lol:

On my first lesson i made a complete goose out of myself for asking "where is my brake light switch"...i thought it was like the indicator that you manually have to switch on...DOH !!

1. Did you choose automatic or manual? Manual,

2. How may lessons did it take all together? Millions !!!!

3. Did you pass first, second, third etc time? I passed on my 7th test ..(But I am special :green:)

:hug:

Passing my driving test was one of the best things I have ever done, And I am glad I didn't give up.
I did fail quite a few times lol... I only ever got a couple of minors, the most I think being 5,
And only one 1 of them do I think the examiner was having a bad day !!!
I failed for different reasons each time, once I was about to go right through a red light,
Once I nearly killed an old lady on a crossing (well she was very small, I didn't see her)
Once for stopping to check to my right on a junction, when It was my right of way, so I should have just gone (I like to make double sure lol)
Once for not checking my left mirror on a roundabout.
Once for 'trying to bully my way out' into the overtaking lane, (I thought I had to prove I could overtake....didn't know I had to wait for a clear overtaking lane before trying this manouver)
I can't remember what the other one was...

But ! In my defence I stuck with the same instuctor who kept telling me she didnt understand why I was failing, for 6 of my tests,
I changed instructors, 5 lessons with him and I passed my test,.
He found there was quite a lot of things I was still very unsure about (ya dooonn't saaaayyy :green:)

Hi Manual, 12 lessons 2 a week for 3 week, then 1 a day the week of my test, then 1 just before my test. when I arrived at the test centre my instructor told me to reverse into a parking space, lucky for me the guy who was taking me out on the test was watching so I didn't have to do it on the test. I bought my car after the second week and everyday used to clean it and rev it up I was determined I was going to pass didn't even think for one minute I might fail, I loved driving but now its a nightmare half the people on the road am sure haven't passed been behind some terrible drivers LOL :)

I will be learning automatic - im the odd one out lol

So for those of you who have done very few lessons ie 7,12,14 was this becuase your instructor said you are now ready for your test or because you decided you were ready?

xx

Manual
About 20 lessons
Passed 2nd time. I was actually more nervous on my 2nd test than on my first but i'm just one of those people that performs better under pressure! :)

Hiya I was put in for my test as my instructor said I was ready, also everyone one of my lessons was at night in the pouring rain one night was that bad I could only just about see. I now drive an automatic but only because I have a problem with my left leg so find it doing the clutch.

I drive a manual car and I had literally squillions of lessons. I started learning to drive 2 days after my 17th birthday and passed 2 months after my 18th birthday. August 9 1994 was the best day of my life! It was my 3rd attempt as the first time I nearly hit an old ladywhen she stepped out into the middle of the road from behind a parked car (they are lethal those old biddies!) and the second time I was too hesitant. The third time my examiner talked to me all the way through and I passed as that was what my instructer used to do and it made me more relaxed:eek: not sure if that was what he was supposed to do but I was a good driver, just extremely nervous! Now I'm fine and I love driving!

hi i passed first time last month:green:, i only did a few refresher lessons with my instructor as i had been driving (unlicinsed :smack:) since i was 15 v.naughty. i did my test in a manual as i think it is the best option as you can then drive either whereas if you take your test in an auto u can only drive an auto and will need to do a separate test for manual hth xx

Manual...can't remember how many lessons...passed 2nd time!

I hate...traffic lights and breaking!! LOL

XX

I learnt in an automatic car...only because the 2 cars we had at home were automatic. I also like the 'prestige' kind of cars and most, if not all of them are in automatic so didn't feel the need to drive a manual car. Took 7 'paid' lessons and had quite a few with my dad.
I don't think it really matters which you drive. Perhaps learning in an automatic, will be slightly easier and quicker....less lessons, less money!
Only thing I would say is that when it comes to buying a car, you'll be more restricted. Good luck. You'll look back and wondered why you didn't do it sooner! Think of all that freedom....hmmmm x

p.s. passed 1st time

Last edited:
I learnt in an automatic car...only because the 2 cars we had at home were automatic. I also like the 'prestige' kind of cars and most, if not all of them are in automatic so didn't feel the need to drive a manual car. Took 7 'paid' lessons and had quite a few with my dad.
I don't think it really matters which you drive. Perhaps learning in an automatic, will be slightly easier and quicker....less lessons, less money!
Only thing I would say is that when it comes to buying a car, you'll be more restricted. Good luck. You'll look back and wondered why you didn't do it sooner! Think of all that freedom....hmmmm x

p.s. passed 1st time

I couldn't of done it any sooner :lol:

I drive an automatic but prefer manual. There's something 'sexy' about a woman who can shift. LOL!

It took three weeks going 5 times a week. (I think, it was in 1971 :eek:, God, that was forever ago)!

I passed on my second time...too chicken to even TRY to parallel park. To this day, I have never had to parallel park.

Best of luck to you!

1. I drive a manual

2. took about 17 lessons

3. I passed 2nd time, the first time was a nightmare and everything went wrong, I was gutted but put straight back in for my next one and passed.

I wouldn't be without it now

Passing my driving test was one of the best things I have ever done, And I am glad I didn't give up.
I did fail quite a few times lol... I only ever got a couple of minors, the most I think being 5,
And only one 1 of them do I think the examiner was having a bad day !!!
I failed for different reasons each time, once I was about to go right through a red light,
Once I nearly killed an old lady on a crossing (well she was very small, I didn't see her)
Once for stopping to check to my right on a junction, when It was my right of way, so I should have just gone (I like to make double sure lol)
Once for not checking my left mirror on a roundabout.
Once for 'trying to bully my way out' into the overtaking lane, (I thought I had to prove I could overtake....didn't know I had to wait for a clear overtaking lane before trying this manouver)
I can't remember what the other one was...

But ! In my defence I stuck with the same instuctor who kept telling me she didnt understand why I was failing, for 6 of my tests,
I changed instructors, 5 lessons with him and I passed my test,.
He found there was quite a lot of things I was still very unsure about (ya dooonn't saaaayyy :green:)

I drive a manual car and I had literally squillions of lessons. I started learning to drive 2 days after my 17th birthday and passed 2 months after my 18th birthday. August 9 1994 was the best day of my life! It was my 3rd attempt as the first time I nearly hit an old ladywhen she stepped out into the middle of the road from behind a parked car (they are lethal those old biddies!) and the second time I was too hesitant. The third time my examiner talked to me all the way through and I passed as that was what my instructer used to do and it made me more relaxed:eek: not sure if that was what he was supposed to do but I was a good driver, just extremely nervous! Now I'm fine and I love driving!

:lol::lol::lol: eeee that gave me a chuckle

lol, Could have been the same lady !! :eek:
Did she have short grey hair, wrinkles and a maroon well padded coat and a shopping trolley...and take about 45 minutes to cross the road ???:green:

awww bless I don't have anything against old folk crossing the road on a zebra crossing... I just wish they wouldn't do it when people are on their driving tests and not concentrating properly ...I mean c'mon, it is the last thing you expect !!!!

:lol:

Latest posts

Back